Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free Anti-virus?
Free Anti-virus?
2009-12-03, 7:03 PM #1
Anyone have any recommendations for a free anti-virus that's pretty trusted? I was using AVG but they starting making you pay for it and I'm too cheap to shell out the 30 dollars to buy the full version.

any suggestions to keep my safe from nasty viruses while not paying a dime?
The Gas Station
2009-12-03, 7:07 PM #2
Avast! what I use
2009-12-03, 7:08 PM #3
I haven't used anything in years, and I haven't had any problems.
2009-12-03, 7:11 PM #4
I use this-
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
woot!
2009-12-03, 7:14 PM #5
I heard this is pretty good:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-12-03, 8:37 PM #6
I use AVG Free, Ive never had to shell out for the full version.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-12-03, 10:11 PM #7
I use MSSE. I excluded my game processes so they don't take a performance hit, <3.

2009-12-03, 10:33 PM #8
I use AVG Free. When version 9 came out, the program linked me to an upgrade page that made no mention of the free version, but I found it quickly using Google.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-12-03, 10:38 PM #9
Avira all day every day.

Avast is garbage and craps up your system, AVG has sucked ever since they got bought out.

http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

Also has a great and FREE virus/malware shield. None of this, 30 day trial then your on your on crap.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-12-03, 11:04 PM #10
I've had Avira pop up asking me to upgrade before. I use AVG and common sense and I've had no problems:D
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-12-04, 12:32 AM #11
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
I use AVG Free. When version 9 came out, the program linked me to an upgrade page that made no mention of the free version, but I found it quickly using Google.

The links were there, you just had to wade through the hugs banners saying UPGRADE!! to find them. I must admit it took me a while to get there, but they were definitely there.
2009-12-04, 5:31 AM #12
Originally posted by Martyn:
The links were there, you just had to wade through the hugs banners saying UPGRADE!! to find them. I must admit it took me a while to get there, but they were definitely there.

Yeah, when I used AVG Free I remember that they made it pretty annoying to do it.

If my system menu is correct (and a quick HD scan makes me think it is) then I don't AV software installed at the moment.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-12-04, 5:34 AM #13
I use OSX.
? :)
2009-12-04, 6:05 AM #14
Well I do that mainly.

I needed AVG for my XP VM :P
2009-12-04, 6:05 AM #15
Common Sense is the best AV around. You should give it a go!

If I really need to get a suspicious file, I use this on it.

Why try one AV when you can try 40?
2009-12-04, 9:17 AM #16
I stopped using AVG, it was slowing down my games. Not sure if it had an "exclude process" feature like MSSE but if so I never found it.

And Lord Kuat for a while I used only common sense. It is the best protection. :) Now I use common sense and MSSE.

2009-12-04, 9:18 AM #17
I use Avast and it's never been an issue. I heard MSSE is good, though.
一个大西瓜
2009-12-04, 9:29 AM #18
housecall.trendmicro.com

I've always liked Trend Micro.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-04, 9:57 AM #19
I use the microsoft one, too.
2009-12-04, 10:03 AM #20
I use Avira.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-12-04, 10:32 AM #21
[http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png]
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-12-04, 10:39 AM #22
^^

hahah I love xkcd... many laughs.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-04, 11:40 AM #23
I run AVG but I'm told that MSSE is pretty good.
nope.
2009-12-04, 11:44 AM #24
If your antivirus is:

McAfee
TrustPort
Sophos
Norman
Kingsoft

You might as well not have an AV, because they rated pretty awful last month.

If your AV is:

Avira
AVG
Symantec (Norton)

You could do better, they're only middle of the road.

If your AV is:

G DATA
Kaspersky
NOD32
F-Secure
Microsoft Sec Ess/OneCare
Avast
BitDefender
eScan

You're well protected.

If you're not on the list, get something that actually bothers to get tested :p
2009-12-04, 12:20 PM #25
I found out my father's laptop runs 3 anti-virus programs at the same time, all scanning: Verizon Security Suite, Norton (home-edition) and McAfee.

Good thing I don't often touch that computer.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-12-04, 6:21 PM #26
I am fortunate to be able to use Symantic Endpoint Protection free because I am in the Army. I have little need for it on my home computer although I do but it was great overseas.

For years I never used one and had no problems but I have seen some very crazy things with viruses over the past year or so so I changed my tune. AVG dragged my system to a crawl but SEP just works. The very nice thing about it is that, since it is licensed by the government, the horrible Norton interface is removed and a simple "just works" one takes its place.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-12-04, 7:00 PM #27
I run Microsoft Security Essentials.
2009-12-04, 9:22 PM #28
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I am fortunate to be able to use Symantic Endpoint Protection free because I am in the Army. I have little need for it on my home computer although I do but it was great overseas.

For years I never used one and had no problems but I have seen some very crazy things with viruses over the past year or so so I changed my tune. AVG dragged my system to a crawl but SEP just works. The very nice thing about it is that, since it is licensed by the government, the horrible Norton interface is removed and a simple "just works" one takes its place.

Which, of course, is still pretty terrible when there's another free AV that does better.
2009-12-04, 10:46 PM #29
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I found out my father's laptop runs 3 anti-virus programs at the same time, all scanning: Verizon Security Suite, Norton (home-edition) and McAfee.

Good thing I don't often touch that computer.

By "runs" do you mean "bluescreens all the time"? Cause that would/should happen a lot with that configuration.

2009-12-05, 4:59 AM #30
i just use Microsoft Security Essentials. have not had a problem yet.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-12-05, 5:01 AM #31
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
If your antivirus is:

McAfee
TrustPort
Sophos
Norman
Kingsoft

You might as well not have an AV, because they rated pretty awful last month.

If your AV is:

Avira
AVG
Symantec (Norton)

You could do better, they're only middle of the road.

If your AV is:

G DATA
Kaspersky
NOD32
F-Secure
Microsoft Sec Ess/OneCare
Avast
BitDefender
eScan

You're well protected.

If you're not on the list, get something that actually bothers to get tested :p

Our computers at work have Kapersky - one was going nuts so I ran a full scan and it came up with three viruses. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be caught before they get that far. :P
woot!
2009-12-05, 5:35 AM #32
Which, of course, is still pretty terrible when there's another free AV that does better.

SEP is free to me and I like it. Anytime I have ever seen anyone use infected media on a government computer running it, the program catches it instantly. SEP is not the same as Norton, although the definitions likely are.

I understand that the thread is asking about free anti-virus and this program likely wouldn't be available to him, although I bet simply having an AKO account would probably be enough for anyone to download it, but to simply dismiss it as terrible because it is your opinion that there is a better free program is a little rude. Also, it is doubtful you have seen a comparison of free AV programs to SEP as SEP is a business level AV solution.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-12-05, 7:55 AM #33
I just gave you a list. Norton/Symantec is not in the high category. This isn't an opinion. The detection engines are the same, and thus for testing purposes are identical. If you think its rude to be told you're using an inferior product, then you must get offended a lot.
2009-12-05, 11:20 AM #34
I just gave you a list. Norton/Symantec is not in the high category. This isn't an opinion. The detection engines are the same, and thus for testing purposes are identical. If you think its rude to be told you're using an inferior product, then you must get offended a lot.

This isn't entirely the truth.... The scanning engines vary pretty greatly between Symantec products. SEP is essentially the same as Symantec Corporate AV, which uses a different definition set and scanning engine than the consumer product.

With the advent of Norton 2009, the team that manages Symantec Corporate AV was handed the consumer product, and the engineers previously working on Norton AV were reassigned. This brings the products closer in line with one another, but there are still differences in the effectiveness of each product. They're designed to work differently depending on the environment in which they're placed.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-05, 11:27 AM #35
Originally posted by Yecti:
With the advent of Norton 2009, the team that manages Symantec Corporate AV was handed the consumer product, and the engineers previously working on Norton AV were reassigned. This brings the products closer in line with one another, but there are still differences in the effectiveness of each product. They're designed to work differently depending on the environment in which they're placed.

Got any proof? Everything I've seen ranks them exactly the same, despite differences in their other functions (like the GUI sucking, firewalls, etc).
2009-12-05, 2:21 PM #36
Got any proof? Everything I've seen ranks them exactly the same, despite differences in their other functions (like the GUI sucking, firewalls, etc).

I like the minimalist, unintrusive GUI. The fact that you so seldom ever need to see it and when you do it is straight and to the point are what appealed to me. The other thing was that when I installed AVG it literally dragged my system to a crawl. Everytime I opened a folder it seemed to scan each file before a thumbnail of the file would appear. SEP seems to protect everything and not hinder performance in a noticeable way.

And, yes, I find it rude for you to off handedly dismiss my preference as "terrible" with no rationale other than your list.

2009-12-05, 2:24 PM #37
I like the minimalist, unintrusive GUI. The fact that you so seldom ever need to see it and when you do it is straight and to the point are what appealed to me. The other thing was that when I installed AVG it literally dragged my system to a crawl. Everytime I opened a folder it seemed to scan each file before a thumbnail of the file would appear. SEP seems to protect everything and not hinder performance in a noticeable way.

And, yes, I find it rude for you to off handedly dismiss my preference as "terrible" with no rationale other than your list.

It's not my list, it's AV-Comparative's list. That's why it's fact. It doesn't matter how good you think it is, it isn't. Also, MSE does the exact same (stay completely out of the way, low CPU hit, etc) and yet it doesn't fail at catching viruses. You know, doing the job it's supposed to?
2009-12-05, 2:35 PM #38
Sorry, guess I have somehow missed your citation in this thread.

2009-12-05, 2:37 PM #39
The other thing was that when I installed AVG it literally dragged my system to a crawl. Everytime I opened a folder it seemed to scan each file before a thumbnail of the file would appear.

Yeah I have this problem with MSE. Only bit I don't like. I compensate by flagging folders I know won't get malware and that I change files in often to not be scanned.

2009-12-05, 2:42 PM #40
So I googled for CM's list and, as I thought, my preference wouldn't have been on it. Like I said earlier I'm not surprised as it really is in an entirely different class. From one comparison site I saw rated only Sophos Endpoint Security and Control one star higher. But, to make CM feel better, I totally concede that there are better solutions than Norton. I hate Norton.

↑ Up to the top!