Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free Anti-virus?
Free Anti-virus?
2009-12-05, 3:07 PM #41
This whole argument is silly. Who cares if your AV catches 40% or 50% of new viruses? Either way you're screwed.

Here's a table from that AVCOMPARATIVE's latest report:

Quote:
ProActive detection of new malware:
1. AVIRA 74%
2. G DATA 66%
3. Kaspersky 64%
4. ESET NOD32 60%
5. F-Secure, Microsoft6 56%
6. Avast, BitDefender, eScan 53%
7. AVG, TrustPort 49%
8. McAfee 47%
9. Symantec 36%
10. Sophos 34%
11. Norman, Kingsoft 32%
Interesting thing, they're not even testing Trend Micro?

There are also more things to consider other than just detection % -- like, how much does it slow down your system? How configurable is it? Does it have any self-defense against new viruses that try to disable the AV? Etc. Etc. Etc.
2009-12-05, 3:29 PM #42
Originally posted by Brian:
This whole argument is silly. Who cares if your AV catches 40% or 50% of new viruses? Either way you're screwed.

Here's a table from that AVCOMPARATIVE's latest report:

Interesting thing, they're not even testing Trend Micro?

There are also more things to consider other than just detection % -- like, how much does it slow down your system? How configurable is it? Does it have any self-defense against new viruses that try to disable the AV? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Configuration is mostly irrelevant, self-defense from new viruses is part of whether it stops a virus or not, performance is irrelevant for most of the good AVs, and Trend Micro isn't on the list because they either failed miserably on the entrance test set or didn't apply to be tested at all (not a good sign either way).
2009-12-05, 3:33 PM #43
My school uses trend micro, but they also have a hard drive freezing program.
If something were to disable that program the school would be ****ed.
2009-12-06, 4:41 AM #44
Brian, am I missing something or Does Norton not make that list either? As it happens, Norton ****ed up my dad's PC so badly he got a grumpyface on and bought a Mac instead :P
2009-12-06, 5:08 AM #45
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Yeah I have this problem with MSE. Only bit I don't like. I compensate by flagging folders I know won't get malware and that I change files in often to not be scanned.

I haven't noticed that -- I'll have to pay more attention.
woot!
2009-12-06, 6:28 AM #46
Originally posted by Tibby:
My school uses trend micro, but they also have a hard drive freezing program.
If something were to disable that program the school would be ****ed.

I'm pretty sure most schools use Deep Freeze, and there are plenty of ways around it.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-12-06, 7:30 AM #47
Originally posted by Martyn:
Brian, am I missing something or Does Norton not make that list either? As it happens, Norton ****ed up my dad's PC so badly he got a grumpyface on and bought a Mac instead :P

Norton is Symantec.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-12-06, 8:38 AM #48
Ahhhhh right. I've used AVG for so long (before 4 years of Mac) that I must admit I've lost track of it all.
2009-12-06, 10:29 AM #49
Originally posted by JLee:
I haven't noticed that -- I'll have to pay more attention.

if i recall correctly zzt also has an ooooooold computer that is kinda slow on its own.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-12-07, 12:05 AM #50
Ok Grant, now you've done it. You attracted a spammer.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-12-07, 8:14 PM #51
heh. yeah. I appreciate the input. here guys. right now I stuck with the free AVG but I might consider switching to something else. just cause. it's alot of info of go over here.
The Gas Station
2009-12-07, 8:27 PM #52
Yeah whenever MSE scans something it uses 80% CPU usage on my single core proc. So yeah whenever Google Chrome finishes downloading a file it freezes for a couple seconds...

But it did help me find a bug in my Knight mod manager app. When the window started skipping around when I was moving it, I realized I was writing too the disk too much...

↑ Up to the top!