Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The most effective way to clean your keyboard
The most effective way to clean your keyboard
2010-10-11, 4:22 AM #1
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20001.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20003.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20004.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20006.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20007.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20009.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20010.JPG]
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/kwash%20011.JPG]

it bad?
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2010-10-11, 4:44 AM #2
[http://album.sekavaa.net/keybw/keybw%20003.JPG]

It's clean :v:
2010-10-11, 4:55 AM #3
YES.
2010-10-11, 5:10 AM #4
Impressive. I was going to say air compressor.
2010-10-11, 5:41 AM #5
I was going to say buy a new one
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-11, 6:28 AM #6
I rememer seeing a Geek Squad advertisement that suggested to stick the WHOLE keyboard in a dishwasher. Without removing any parts.

**** Geek Squad.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-10-11, 6:36 AM #7
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I rememer seeing a Geek Squad advertisement that suggested to stick the WHOLE keyboard in a dishwasher. Without removing any parts.

**** Geek Squad.

considering the stuff inside the keyboard, i'm pretty sure that it would work if you just let it dry completely.
2010-10-11, 7:49 AM #8
Lets test that with a laptop!
2010-10-11, 8:10 AM #9
Telling people to put their keyboards in the dishwasher is retarded. They can't know what kind of keyboard people have and chances are people won't wait long enough for them to dry.

Yeah so, Geek Squad is pretty worthless.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-11, 8:24 AM #10
damn jizz stains just cant be air compressed off these days
2010-10-11, 8:25 AM #11
Go away
2010-10-11, 8:42 AM #12
[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41063/IMAG0048.jpg]
2010-10-11, 8:47 AM #13
thats not going to clean anything.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2010-10-11, 8:57 AM #14
Originally posted by Emon:
Telling people to put their keyboards in the dishwasher is retarded. They can't know what kind of keyboard people have and chances are people won't wait long enough for them to dry.

Yeah so, Geek Squad is pretty worthless.

i'm talking about the kind of keyboard i had. of course i wouldn't test it on some 150e keyboard (that's almost $200 in your monopoly money), but on my 10e keyboard i actually might do it the next time i need to.
2010-10-11, 9:11 AM #15
Well right, I meant Geek Squad telling people to put their keyboards in dishwashers. If you know what you're doing it's the best way to clean certain kinds of keyboards.

I have a mechanical Filco keyboard. Do not want to put that into the dishwasher... at least not without letting it dry for like a month.
2010-10-11, 9:22 AM #16
Well, if your keyboard doesn't work anymore after the process, you can always go to .... Geek Squad.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-10-11, 9:23 AM #17
I have a logitech g15... I don't think I'm going to try this, despite needing to clean it badly
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-10-11, 9:28 AM #18
The top part that goes in the dishwasher is just plastic keys. It's quite safe to do.
2010-10-11, 11:12 AM #19
You could have at least put some dishes in there. Running a 30 minute cycle with a full soap load ;)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-11, 11:20 AM #20
Originally posted by zanardi:
You could have at least put some dishes in there. Running a 30 minute cycle with a full soap load ;)

for some reason i didn't feel like washing my dishes in there at the same time with my keyboard that had been gathering grease and dirt from my fingers for the past 4 years :P
2010-10-11, 3:39 PM #21
Wuss.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2010-10-12, 2:30 AM #22
I lick my keyboard at random intervals.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2010-10-13, 5:35 AM #23
I did that, but without the dishwasher (i.e in a washing up bowl) a few years ago. Typing on the innards whilst waiting for it to dry was a right pain
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2010-10-13, 5:49 AM #24
I think I am going to do this when I get home from work!!!!
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-10-13, 5:53 AM #25
This is no use for laptop keyboards though :(

A user spilt coffee all over his laptop at work yesterday and I couldn't believe how well it had worked its way in. I ended up dismantling nearly all of it to dry the various affected contacts.
2010-10-14, 9:49 AM #26
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41063/IMAG0048.jpg]

I'm pretty sure that's my bookshelf. Give it.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2010-10-14, 1:56 PM #27
lol @ the geeksquad hate over an ad from 1998. :P
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-10-14, 1:59 PM #28
Originally posted by Yecti:
lol @ the geeksquad hate over an ad from 1998. :P

Oh there's plenty of other things to hate geeksquad for as of late too, if you want more recent.

Case in point: the Playstation 3 + firmware "upgrade service".

2010-10-14, 2:20 PM #29
GeekSquad is a joke because they're incredibly incompetent "technicians" that are little more than salesman.
2010-10-14, 2:21 PM #30
Originally posted by Emon:
GeekSquad is a joke because they're incredibly incompetent "technicians" that are little more than salesman.

In most places. Yes. I will agree with you.

Though it still doesn't account for the majority of service that they provide. Most people leave happy. If they didn't, Best Buy wouldn't still offer services.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-10-14, 3:02 PM #31

Though it still doesn't account for the majority of service that they provide. Most people leave happy. If they didn't, Best Buy wouldn't still offer services.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The problem is, most people have no clue where else to take their problems.

And let's not forget that many people who "leave happy" return a week later furious.
2010-10-14, 3:59 PM #32
I wholeheartedly disagree. The problem is, most people have no clue where else to take their problems.

And let's not forget that many people who "leave happy" return a week later furious.

Yep. And the hundreds of thousands of service tickets a year account for your vast experience.

I won't disagree that there are a lot of stupid people in the organization, or that "a lot" of people wind up with bad service and or upset about their service in one way or another when they deal with Geek Squad, but the truth remains that at the scale the company does business the majority of consumers are perfectly happy with what they pay for.
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-10-14, 4:33 PM #33
The Geek Squad is like an automobile mechanic. Most of them are there to do stuff you could/should do yourself, and they charge you for it. Those of us of with the ability to do things for ourselves can, and those without the ability need to pay for it. As much as we like to act superior about it, the fact is, they're happy paying for what we do free/better/whatever, so let them.
2010-10-14, 4:37 PM #34
But Geek Squad isn't as good at auto repair as say, Pep Boys is to fixing cars. At least with mechanics they've been around longer so there's more in the way of meaningful certifications and regulations.
2010-10-14, 4:44 PM #35
Yep. And the hundreds of thousands of service tickets a year account for your vast experience.

Vast experience? Is that like some sort of sad joke? I don't think it's somehow uncommon knowledge that the average consumer would rather have an alternative to Geek Squad.
2010-10-14, 5:34 PM #36
Vast experience? Is that like some sort of sad joke? I don't think it's somehow uncommon knowledge that the average consumer would rather have an alternative to Geek Squad.

There are tons of alternatives to Geek Squad. The fact remains that the average consumer trusts Best Buy and Geek Squad because the median service they receive is acceptable or above. My point was that you keep using phrases that generalize the public as though you've spoken to all of them, whereas Geek Squad obviously has record of millions of service exchanges over the past sixteen years of operation and an overall positive public image.

And I think that a pretty good indicator of this is the organizations rankings within the Better Business Bureau. Which is an A+

Within the last 36 months, the BBB received just over 10,000 complaints for Best Buy as a whole. 2012 of them were regarding repair issues:

670 - Delayed completion of repair
30 - Failure to honor a repair estimate or agreement
5 - Failure to honor request for parts after repair
1 - Failure to provide invoice or estimate for repair upon request
390 - Improper or inferior repair
727 - None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue
177 - Repairs resulted in additional damage
12 - Unauthorized repair

That is to say, that there were only 2012 TOTAL complaints filed with the BBB that revolved around Geek Squad in the last 36 months. Granted, that doesn't account for consumer-ship as a whole, but it's a well founded and trusted organization for rating a business based on the satisfaction of its clientele.

Given the millions of transactions that occur enterprise wide within the Best Buy organization, 10,000 and especially 2,000 incidents reported to the BBB is exceedingly positive.

But I'm sure the average consumer is totally pissed off at Best Buy and Geek Squad right now. ;)

edit: and here's the BBB link in case you can't be bothered to look it up yourself. http://www.bbb.org/minnesota/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-dealers/best-buy-stores-lp-us-headquarters-in-richfield-mn-7663
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-10-14, 5:42 PM #37
There are tons of alternatives to Geek Squad. The fact remains that the average consumer trusts Best Buy and Geek Squad because the median service they receive is acceptable or above. My point was that you keep using phrases that generalize the public as though you've spoken to all of them, whereas Geek Squad obviously has record of millions of service exchanges over the past sixteen years of operation and an overall positive public image.

*snort giggle*

Okay, suuuure they do.

Someone's been working too close to the business to see things realistically anymore.
2010-10-14, 5:45 PM #38
See edits above. :P
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-10-14, 5:48 PM #39
Hey Yecti, did you know that most people who are pissed off at a business won't ever bother to file a complaint? That is in no way a good indicator of quality of service.
2010-10-14, 5:52 PM #40
And I think that a pretty good indicator of this is the organizations rankings within the Better Business Bureau. Which is an A+
the bbb is a private corporation that gives the highest ratings to the corporations that pay them the most money. it means dick all.

↑ Up to the top!