Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Mac Users: Beware the new OS X: Lion
Mac Users: Beware the new OS X: Lion
2010-10-20, 11:12 AM #1
Here's what's going on in the next OS X:

1. App Store, just like on iOS. (And is apparently coming to Snow Leopard too)
2. Launchpad, just like the iOS home screen.
3. Fullscreen modes.

Now, what does this mean? In my opinion, this is the start of the downfall of OS X. We're going to lose control of our macs. It won't be devastating just yet, but this is just a way to get people attached. The app store has the exact same limitations of the iOS version, including needing submissions and being checked by Apple.

This worries me greatly, it seems like I will be finally moving away from OS X soon.
2010-10-20, 11:13 AM #2
"We're sorry, Adobe, but we cannot approve Photoshop for sale in the app store because you're using this unauthorized API in OS X."
2010-10-20, 11:22 AM #3
Face it guys.... Apple = The Empire.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-20, 11:54 AM #4
I love the new MacBook Air.

All these reports of it using a new type of SSD, blah blah.

Translation: Apple didn't want people to be able to upgrade storage, so they went with a proprietary SSD interface instead of SATA or miniPCIe.

I also find it pretty hilarious that they're pushing SSDs now, despite their OS still not supporting TRIM.
2010-10-20, 12:23 PM #5
Originally posted by Darth:
I love the new MacBook Air.

Why.

1.4/1.6ghz ULV CPU? It's going to crawl.

Not to mention, they make a huge deal out of that 30 day suspend time. Except they fail to mention the fact that, if you even get close to that, you're going to turn your laptop back on and there's going to be no battery life left to USE it.

If you want a netbook, get a netbook. Don't fart around with these.
2010-10-20, 12:28 PM #6
I wish the engadgets homepage wasn't spammed with this apple conference.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-20, 12:30 PM #7
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Why.

1.4/1.6ghz ULV CPU? It's going to crawl.

Not to mention, they make a huge deal out of that 30 day suspend time. Except they fail to mention the fact that, if you even get close to that, you're going to turn your laptop back on and there's going to be no battery life left to USE it.

If you want a netbook, get a netbook. Don't fart around with these.

Chill out CM. Sarcasm. Did you even read the rest of my post that completely trashed it? lol
2010-10-20, 12:30 PM #8
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Face it guys.... Apple = The Empire.

and the starbucks drinking burkenstock wearing tightwads who use them are stormtroopers? this makes so much sense! :psyduck:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-20, 12:45 PM #9
Hmmm Stormtroopers perhaps... Except they do even less.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-20, 1:07 PM #10
So like, Linux is the rebel alliance?
And Windows is....?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-20, 1:08 PM #11
Chill out CM. Sarcasm. Did you even read the rest of my post that completely trashed it? lol

I figured you liked it minus the SSD :P

Originally posted by zanardi:
I wish the engadgets homepage wasn't spammed with this apple conference.

http://www.engadget.com/exclude/apple ?
2010-10-20, 1:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Deadman:
So like, Linux is the rebel alliance?
And Windows is....?

Windows is the Bothan spy network. Or maybe the Wookiees. Yeah, Wookiees.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-10-20, 1:16 PM #13
definitely wookies... huge ungainly smelly... loves fox news. i keed..
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-20, 1:18 PM #14

http://www.engadget.com/exclude/apple ?

:awesome:
Attachment: 24429/lol.jpg (296,860 bytes)
woot!
2010-10-20, 1:20 PM #15
It doesn't banish every mention of Apple from the site, it just removes posts tagged as Apple.

:carl:
2010-10-20, 1:28 PM #16
Are you trying to say that the only way to get apps will be through the app store? I can't imagine most "large" software publishers like adobe will be willing to give 30% to apple for distribution through the app store. Sounds more like an addition rather than a replacement. Don't get me wrong, I hate osx as much as the next guy but it seems like you are misunderstanding (or I am).
2010-10-20, 1:48 PM #17
Originally posted by Brian:
Are you trying to say that the only way to get apps will be through the app store? I can't imagine most "large" software publishers like adobe will be willing to give 30% to apple for distribution through the app store. Sounds more like an addition rather than a replacement. Don't get me wrong, I hate osx as much as the next guy but it seems like you are misunderstanding (or I am).

No, I never said that. It will absolutely be possible to install apps as normal.

But this is the start of a downward trend. Apple knows they can't completely lock down OS X in one iteration. So they'll first introduce the App Store. And then they'll slowly but surely ween people away from traditional avenues of application installs/purchases. They'll start ripping out APIs and locking the OS down, making developers write for the locked down platform if they want to stay in the game on Mac.

It's a completely natural progression, and it's the only real reason Apple has for going this route. The App Store is their money maker. And since it requires going through the submission process, they have full control of what shows up on their hardware.
2010-10-20, 2:06 PM #18

No, not really. Although I don't fault them much for using a Core 2 ULV. They're actually pretty good processors. They spank the pants off of an Atom, and do a really good job running Windows 7 (have one in my convertible tablet). Of course the ULV i5s and i3s are out now, so they're not even the best in the ULV market anymore.
2010-10-20, 2:07 PM #19
JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-20, 2:13 PM #20
But this is the start of a downward trend.

Remember, Matty is pretty good at forecasting Apple success or failure - "I predict that all the iPads sold over the weekend will constitute the vast majority of all iPad sales you will see over its entire lifetime"

Anyways, very very meh conference. 10.7 looks like they really aren't trying too hard, the Air is cool and all but still would take a another laptop over it (like their equivalently priced but much faster MBPro, or any other laptop). 999 is way too much for a netbook. I'll have to give the new iLife a spin against the new OSX MS Office suite to see how the performance compares.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-10-20, 2:22 PM #21
Meh all over from me.
2010-10-20, 2:23 PM #22
I read that as Li-Ion, expected some battery explosions.
2010-10-20, 2:24 PM #23
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Remember, Matty is pretty good at forecasting Apple success or failure - "I predict that all the iPads sold over the weekend will constitute the vast majority of all iPad sales you will see over its entire lifetime"

Still seems pretty accurate, especially given usage numbers :P

To be fair, this wasn't even just coming from me. The entire Macbreak crew pretty much said the same thing about it, and they're hardcore Apple fans.
2010-10-20, 2:26 PM #24
Just wait til Android starts rolling out operating systems. Such a day will be celebrated throughout all mankind.

Already their tablets are looking to slaughter the ipad herd quite badly. Its going to be an interesting next couple of years in the tech world.
2010-10-20, 2:39 PM #25
Starts? They already are. Although not officially, until Gingerbread, which is coming out in January.
2010-10-20, 3:26 PM #26
Still seems pretty accurate, especially given usage numbers.

Usage doesn't have anything to do with it. What you do with your iPad after you buy it is completely irrelevant to the number of sales they've made. Apple certainly doesn't care what you do with it, and apple certainly doesn't care who buys it, where they buy it, when they buy it, or why they buy it.

700,000 in first week / 8 million sold so far = ~8%. Since when is 8% a vast majority, especially considering every marginal iPad sold further dilutes that number?
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-10-20, 3:34 PM #27
Actually, Apple cares DEEPLY about whether you use it. Their primary money maker isn't the hardware, it's the App Store. Why else do you think they want to bring the App Store to the Mac?

Edit: Also, I'm not going to seriously argue the iPad sales. Yes, it's selling well. I still am not willing to say it's going to be a long-term success, which was the original point, albeit exaggerated.
2010-10-20, 5:05 PM #28
Everything apple has done lately seems to just make that old 80's commercial inspired by 1984 more and more ironic.
2010-10-20, 5:21 PM #29
I love it when CoolMatty is wrong. CoolMatty, there's a lot of wrong with a lot of what you're saying.
Think while it's still legal.
2010-10-20, 5:52 PM #30
Perhaps instead of being an obstinate fanboy you could explain why you think he's wrong.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-20, 6:20 PM #31
Originally posted by SAJN:
I love it when CoolMatty is wrong. CoolMatty, there's a lot of wrong with a lot of what you're saying.

There's a lot wrong with your post. Mainly any details. Kinda hard to show why I'm not wrong when you can't even say why I am wrong.
2010-10-20, 6:44 PM #32
I also find it pretty hilarious that they're pushing SSDs now, despite their OS still not supporting TRIM.

Wait, I thought one of the primary marketing points for Apple products was that it would get you trim.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-20, 6:52 PM #33
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Wait, I thought one of the primary marketing points for Apple products was that it would get you trim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29#Operating_system_and_SSD_support

According to this, no.

Windows 7 was the first to get TRIM.
2010-10-20, 6:57 PM #34
Whoa, appears Cool Matty probably won't be getting any trim anytime soon.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-20, 6:58 PM #35
Maybe CM just doesn't get lame jokes.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-20, 6:59 PM #36
Whoa, appears Cool Matty probably won't be getting any trim anytime soon.

:psyduck:

Your post confuses me in about 30 different ways.
2010-10-20, 7:04 PM #37
I AM an enigma.

2010-10-20, 7:10 PM #38

No, the joke is that Apple products make you gay.
2010-10-20, 7:19 PM #39
I AM an enigma.

More like a migraine. You don't even know who to make fun of correctly.
2010-10-20, 7:20 PM #40
To be fair, Matty couldn't get any gay trim either :|

↑ Up to the top!