Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → is Batman: Arkham Asylum worth buying?
is Batman: Arkham Asylum worth buying?
2010-10-25, 4:54 AM #1
I like actiony stuff...RPGs if they aren't slow (i.e. I liked NWN, The Witcher, and love FPS games). It's on sale at steam for $13.60 and I think today is the last day of the sale. Should I bite? http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140
woot!
2010-10-25, 4:57 AM #2
Yes, it's ****ING AWESOME.

Honestly, one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years.
nope.
2010-10-25, 5:00 AM #3
Yes. Yes yes yes yes.

But I hope you have a controller, it used to hurt my hands playing it with a keyboard and mouse after a while.

Which is actually why I bought it again for my 360, that's how good it is.
2010-10-25, 6:11 AM #4
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Yes, it's ****ING AWESOME.

Honestly, one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years.

As a man with limited time to spend on things like games (BABIES ARE FUN) I can give it no higher praise than this:

When I finished it, the first thing I did was start it up straight away again but on the hard difficulty.

As Bacoboco says: it's that ****ing good.
2010-10-25, 6:15 AM #5
Not the PC version cause it's infected with Securom, blech.
2010-10-25, 7:17 AM #6
Get it, play it, love it.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-25, 7:42 AM #7
Yeah, its really really good.

Use a 360 controller though.

o.0
2010-10-25, 9:35 AM #8
Yes. One of the few single player games I played to completion. Even after I finished the story I continued playing until solving all the Riddler's Riddles.

I bought it when it was $15 on GFWL, and still think it was a great deal.

There is a demo version too, if you havent played it in any form yet.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-25, 10:39 AM #9
The demo isn't representative IMO. It's hard to appreciate the flow of the fight mechanic until you've unlocked a few extra moves.

Just. Buy. It.

Love and kisses,

Mantrain
2010-10-25, 11:43 AM #10
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/926-Batman-Arkham-Asylum

Even Yahtzee likes it.
2010-10-25, 3:13 PM #11
It's the only new franchise I bought last year.
2010-10-25, 4:10 PM #12
I've been meaning to ask here, since it seems universally praised, but there is a newer release with a 3D mode. Has anyone tried the 3D? Is it a worthy gimmick? I'll pick up the game someday when I see it cheap.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-25, 4:48 PM #13
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I've been meaning to ask here, since it seems universally praised, but there is a newer release with a 3D mode. Has anyone tried the 3D? Is it a worthy gimmick? I'll pick up the game someday when I see it cheap.

I don't think it's going to get much cheaper than $13.60 for a while. :P Steam may have it on a holiday sale, though.
woot!
2010-10-25, 8:45 PM #14
Steam doesn't sell games for the 360. Can't see playing that game on the PC. The only type of games I find the PC suitable for is RTS, Diablo-esque point and clicks, or point and click adventures.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-25, 8:55 PM #15
edit: n/m wrong thread
(still liked this much better on pc though)
2010-10-25, 11:42 PM #16
Steam doesn't sell games for the 360. Can't see playing that game on the PC. The only type of games I find the PC suitable for is RTS, Diablo-esque point and clicks, or point and click adventures.

Left 4 Dead 2 runs better on my PC than it does on my 360. I like the silky smooth framerate that a Core i5 and a 4890 provide. :P

If I don't like kb/mouse, I'll use a 360 controller on the PC for this.
woot!
2010-10-26, 12:23 AM #17
360 controller is the best thing I ever got for my PC. So many games work better with it.

o.0
2010-10-26, 12:49 AM #18
Yes.
2010-10-26, 2:52 AM #19
Yeah. Kick ass game. I liked it almost as much as Singularity.
2010-10-26, 5:48 AM #20
Yes. My opinion on the game in more detail:

http://www.classicgameroom.com/batman-arkham-asylum-pc-review.html

:)
幻術
2010-10-26, 9:13 AM #21
To somewhat defend wookie06, there are a handful of games available for 360 and pc that are much, much better on the 360. The Force Unleashed comes to mind immediately.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-26, 9:56 AM #22

Don't forget shooters and simulators. Really, though, you may as well just get a 360 controller for the games that aren't vastly better with the mouse and kb. It's works just as well as using in on the xbox, and you get much sharper graphics.
2010-10-26, 10:00 AM #23
Assuming there aren't other problems associated with the port, such as bugs or a poor UI. This happens less and less, but it's still common.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-26, 8:43 PM #24
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Don't forget shooters and simulators. Really, though, you may as well just get a 360 controller for the games that aren't vastly better with the mouse and kb. It's works just as well as using in on the xbox, and you get much sharper graphics.

Well, I prefer shooters on a console. Sims of course but I haven't been playing any for quite sometime although driving sims, if you like the console specific Forzas or GT pretty much rock on consoles now. I doubt the appropriate attention to detail will ever transpire to make a flight sim for a console.

I bought the wireless adapter for the PC so I can use my 360 controllers. They work well for kiddie games, they're cheaper on the PC, and simulators. I totally agree that if you want the absolute best graphics (which assumes you feel inclined to keep an updated PC) and control that a PC with 360 controllers rocks. Me, I'll keep the console experience for a fraction of the cost.

2010-10-26, 9:24 PM #25
Well, I prefer shooters on a console.

There is something very wrong with you
2010-10-26, 10:52 PM #26
Not necessarily. The benefit of console shooters is that you don't need a bleeding edge PC to keep up. FPS games tend to be made almost as a benchmakrk for new hardware when they come out. Well, they were last time I had a PC, which was ages ago ;)

That or he likes Halo. Which I find unplayably slow. But that's just me.
2010-10-26, 11:31 PM #27
That's a good point about the hardware. I was just thinking of being in a room with a kickass pc and an xbox, with say CoD MW2 playing on both.
The only people that would go to the console are (normally) people that have never played a pc before. Ones that have and learned the awesomeness of the mouse and keyboard for fps' wouldn't look twice at the console.
I've had this argument with console gamers before, and any that actually give the pc gaming a chance have had to begrudgingly admit that the mouse is indeed better. It took me YEARS with this one guy... not that I spent all that time trying to convince him, it's just I felt really triumphant when I finally got him to play a pc fps.
2010-10-27, 12:36 AM #28
I like playing fps games on pc and console. I don't really see much of a difference. It's just a different mechanism for me to be totally ****ing awesome at sniping *****es... as long as we're not playing halo... but i still like halo. i just can't snipe in halo.

I AM WEIRD!
>>untie shoes
2010-10-27, 1:03 AM #29
Originally posted by Deadman:
That's a good point about the hardware. I was just thinking of being in a room with a kickass pc and an xbox, with say CoD MW2 playing on both.
The only people that would go to the console are (normally) people that have never played a pc before. Ones that have and learned the awesomeness of the mouse and keyboard for fps' wouldn't look twice at the console.
I've had this argument with console gamers before, and any that actually give the pc gaming a chance have had to begrudgingly admit that the mouse is indeed better. It took me YEARS with this one guy... not that I spent all that time trying to convince him, it's just I felt really triumphant when I finally got him to play a pc fps.

Yep. I have Mass Effect both on 360 and PC...started on PC and tried it on 360. That lasted a few minutes and I went back to PC. Similar with CoD: MW - played it on PC..roommate has it on 360, but I suck with a controller so I didn't even bother trying.

I doubt the appropriate attention to detail will ever transpire to make a flight sim for a console.

Controllers don't have enough buttons.

Throttle needs a steady-state hold, so the triggers won't work (unless two are used to adjust back and forth).
You need three more axes for pitch, roll and yaw.
Add in flaps, trim, propellor pitch, landing gear, and all assorted instrumentation, nav, etc -- I think a true flight sim on a console would prove to be a clunky awkward mess.

Thinking of a 360, I suppose if you used the triggers for rudder, one analog stick for flight control and the other for throttle, you could make it work...but even so you'd run out of buttons for the other functionality (unless you had pause-menu stuff).
woot!
2010-10-27, 1:19 AM #30
I played / reviewed the PC version of the game and thought it was excellent. I think the fact that it was developed simultaneously for PC and consoles (like BioShock) had something to do with it.

As a counter example, see the the PC version of Force Unleashed --- a completely terrible hack-job of a port. Or, for example, Metal Gear Solid 2. Anyone tried playing that on PC? Yeah...
幻術
2010-10-27, 2:12 AM #31
What's really funny is playing an old game like Twisted Metal 2. The pc port is slow even on a modern day pc.
So instead you download a playstation emulator and play it on that instead.... runs beautifully.
(Hey! You can probably do the same kind of thing with MGS2)
2010-10-27, 5:48 AM #32
What's really funny is playing an old game like Twisted Metal 2. The pc port is slow even on a modern day pc.
So instead you download a playstation emulator and play it on that instead.... runs beautifully.
(Hey! You can probably do the same kind of thing with MGS2)

Deadman, you sure you have 'Use Direct3D Accelleration' checked?

I actually own TM2 for PC, so after reading this I dug up my CD and tested. Annoying the Installer wont run under Win7 64-bit, but copying the entire CD to the HD and running TW2.exe directly works. The max resolution it allows me to use is 800x600x16bit.

[http://www.binarydemons.com/upload/files/TM2.jpg]

For me it running at the exact same speed as playing on the PS2. I'm betting using the emulator and rom lets you use higher resolutions and you can probably tweak it to run faster than the original PS/PS2 speed.

Amusingly at the vehicle selection screen the cars spin so fast they are a blur. Also load times are instant. Sony should remake this game in a modern engine, resisting the urge to change anything other than upgraded graphics.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-27, 12:49 PM #33
I hadn't actually tested it in quite a while (few years) and I wasn't expecting me to call me on it... so SCREW YOU AND YOU'RE NOT CHUCKLING AT MY ERRONEOUS ANECDOTE
2010-10-27, 1:01 PM #34
I will not be satisfied until JLee has bought the damn game.
2010-10-27, 1:06 PM #35
Originally posted by Martyn:
I will not be satisfied until JLee has bought the damn game.

BE SATISFIED nocaps :XD:
woot!
2010-10-27, 1:25 PM #36
Yay! Thread objective accomplished.
2010-10-27, 2:59 PM #37
Yaaaaaaay happydance!
2010-10-27, 3:39 PM #38
OBJECTIVE COMPLETE
2010-10-27, 6:55 PM #39
There is something very wrong with you

Generally speaking, I am a casual gamer at best. Actually, that probably would say there is less wrong with me than you expect.

Originally posted by Martyn:
That or he likes Halo. Which I find unplayably slow. But that's just me.

I can see that. Halo is flawed from the viewpoint of hardcore FPSers. I generally like compelling stories in games and I do think that the Halo universe has a compelling story. So, despite repetitive graphics and gameplay, I've enjoyed what I have played.

Originally posted by JLee:
Controllers don't have enough buttons.

Sure, generally speaking. If a company wanted to they could do a Steel Battalion style release with a specific controller as a requirement. That's just too risky for a console game. Driving sims are a little different as they are acceptably playable without the peripherals but games such as Forza with a wheel are certainly comparable to all but the most diehard sim fans.

2010-10-27, 7:13 PM #40
Generally speaking, I am a casual gamer at best.

That has nothing to do with anything, but ok.

↑ Up to the top!