Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why hasn't anyone ported JK to another engine?
Why hasn't anyone ported JK to another engine?
2010-11-01, 2:53 AM #1
Like Source. Hell, let's do it right now. Source is a fairly easy to use engine, so let's try and directly port (No fancy "I'm going to make it better, but never actually finish it" stuff until we have a working proof of concept.) level one, Nar Shadaa, and then the weapons (Only those involved in the level) and then the AI models (Again, only those in this level only). I'm fairly certain that this would be pretty damn easy to do, mostly because it Nar Shadaa has all the polygons of a low-res model in Half Life 2.
Why can't we do this? It seems pretty straight forward and easy, If we sort it out so that tasks are divided amongst ourselves, and only do the bare minimum to get a working product, we should be able to hammer out (:suicide:) a working proof of concept in a little while. Nar Shadaa isn't even a very big level.
The only problem I see here is the legality of taking Jedi Knights textures, but I'm sure source has some built in that will work for a proof of concept until better ones are found.

I challenge you Massassi, prove you still have even an ounce of the creative spirit that birthed this place 12 years ago. Anyone in? Or have you all become brain dead over those 12 years? :nonono:
2010-11-01, 3:00 AM #2
A) It takes too much time.
B) LEC.
C) It's not worth it.
D) There are better games to port.
E) JK sucks.
F) It wouldn't gain much if any interest from non-Massassians.
G) It wouldn't get finished.
R) All of the above.

I'm going with A. I'd actually want to see it done, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-11-01, 3:28 AM #3
7) It still works on most computers so what's the point?

edit: One notable game being ported (well completley rewritten!) is Carmageddon. Check out http://blog.1amstudios.com/
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2010-11-01, 4:46 AM #4
*cough* Sith2 *cough*

Seriously, though, 99.9% of JK projects were failures. This would be 10x the undertaking of the average TC. How could this possibly succeed?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2010-11-01, 5:52 AM #5
Hey guys, I have this idea thats pretty easy. Theres totally an app to port to Source, just uncheck HDR though cause thats lame.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-11-01, 5:57 AM #6
In 12 years we all got better things to do.

Apart from mb.

He just still eats BEGONI every day and weeps.
2010-11-01, 6:30 AM #7
Originally posted by Tibby:
The only problem I see here is the legality of taking Jedi Knights textures, but I'm sure source has some built in that will work for a proof of concept until better ones are found.

Level architecture is copyrighted information, too.
2010-11-01, 6:41 AM #8
OMGSERIOUSQUESTION:

If that's true DS, what about all the Canyon Oasis clones?
2010-11-01, 7:29 AM #9
guys im working on a port of JK to JA dont worry just give me about a decade i should be done by then. guys it'll be so great guys
DO NOT WANT.
2010-11-01, 7:31 AM #10
This idea is pitched every year, and always gets the same answer.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-11-01, 8:13 AM #11
Didn't we just have this thread?
2010-11-01, 8:56 AM #12
Originally posted by Tibby:
Like Source. Hell, let's do it right now. Source is a fairly easy to use engine, so let's try and directly port (No fancy "I'm going to make it better, but never actually finish it" stuff until we have a working proof of concept.) level one, Nar Shadaa, and then the weapons (Only those involved in the level) and then the AI models (Again, only those in this level only). I'm fairly certain that this would be pretty damn easy to do, mostly because it Nar Shadaa has all the polygons of a low-res model in Half Life 2.

Honestly I don't know anything about Source editing, but I'm fairly sure there is some tool which allows you to easily port the level architecture from JKL to whatever Source uses (BSP?). When I asked Beefy and Sithlord to port a few JK maps to L4D2 they had exact duplicate levels done fairly quickly ( < 1hr ). But I'm fairly sure the rest of what you are asking is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$.

I had hoped to see 5 JK levels strung together in a L4D/2 Campaign. ;(
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-11-01, 9:08 AM #13
Why hasn't anyone rewritten MS Word 1.0 in C#?
2010-11-01, 9:12 AM #14
Why hasn't anyone rewritten your posting to not be terrible?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-11-01, 9:15 AM #15
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
but I'm fairly sure there is some tool which allows you to easily port the level architecture from JKL to whatever Source uses (BSP?)

You know, I can actually believe this since once upon a time there was a JK->JK2 level converter made by mr. dr0id.

It wasn't really effective, though. Created all kinds of odd brushes and interesting BSP errors.
2010-11-01, 10:06 AM #16
I must say FGR I find your Deus Ex mod thingy rather intriguing.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-01, 10:07 AM #17
I don't think massive copyright violation would make a very good portfolio piece. Good luck finding people who are talented and willing.
2010-11-01, 10:08 AM #18
Thank you, Tracer. I hope I'd get properly motivated to work on it non-stop, though.
2010-11-01, 10:17 AM #19
Originally posted by gbk:
*cough* Sith2 *cough*

Seriously, though, 99.9% of JK projects were failures. This would be 10x the undertaking of the average TC. How could this possibly succeed?

TODOA WAS NOT A FAILURE. TODOA IS THE FUTURE.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2010-11-01, 11:04 AM #20
I would play it

I would try to help out even tho I know jack about editing any new games... the only game I really edited was Wolf 3d

LETS CONVERT JK TO WOLF 3D!
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-11-01, 11:13 AM #21
I'm with you!
>>untie shoes
2010-11-01, 3:31 PM #22
How about "Jedi Knight : Dark Forces 2 - The Text Adventure" (you know like Zork).

---------------

You, Kyle Katarn, are in the backroom of a dirty bar on Nar Shaddaa. There is a standard issue blaster in your hand. The only exit is to the East.

>

---------------

We could totally handle that. Multiplayer might prove challenging tho.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-11-01, 3:55 PM #23
Quote:
Why hasn't anyone ported JK to another engine?

...because those that attempt it always fail to grasp the fact that they should "port" multi-player before single-player. There's actually a relatively simple way to go about such a task. One would merely need to release the project in phases/stages. For instance, one could convert/import existing models (e.g: Shred's) & use them as placeholders until someone makes something better & then you'd release an update. You'd do this w/ every element of the "port" (maps, models, textures, etc.). It'd start off looking pretty dated/silly but then so does JK after 13 ****ing years. The vast majority of the project could be planned out months or even years before the "engine" that'll be used is even released by merely having them all "ported" to or "designed" w/ 3rd party tools (e.g: 3DS Max) & ready to go when needed. Even the single-player levels can be released 1 at a time. There's no rule stating that people have to wait for years waiting for a project that's almost certain to fail when they can play a piece of it now. If multi-player was "ported" first, the single-player levels could even be released as multi-player maps for people to play in the meantime (merely change the item placement to make it flow a bit). That's just my 2 cents...
? :)
2010-11-01, 4:44 PM #24
lets make it an mmo
2010-11-01, 4:52 PM #25
We could except Matty banned our best mmo maker
2010-11-01, 5:10 PM #26
I have a better idea. Make your own original star wars themed addon for source engine instead. That way we get to play new, original content instead of the same stuff we've been playing for more than a decade :)
2010-11-01, 5:11 PM #27
There's at least one. ZeqMacaw is a developer for it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-01, 5:14 PM #28
Originally posted by Martyn:
OMGSERIOUSQUESTION:

If that's true DS, what about all the Canyon Oasis clones?

Canyone Oasis clones still require JK to run.

I know that there were CO clones on other games, but nothing like trying to port the entire game to another engine.

A port of JK to Source would not require JK to run, and would therefore be of questionable legality...
2010-11-01, 5:20 PM #29
though if the person programmed it so it followed some insanely huge macro that converts the original install on a persons computer...

>.> <.<
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2010-11-01, 5:44 PM #30
Originally posted by Mentat:
There's actually a relatively simple way to go about such a task. One would merely need to release the project in phases/stages.
There are two ways to port JK to a different engine:

1.) Automate the conversion; write tools to automatically convert levels, models and animations to a new engine. You're wrong in this case because porting additional content would require almost no additional effort, so you gain almost nothing by releasing it in small portions.

2.) Manually convert all assets. You're wrong in this case because modelling, skinning, rigging and animating a low-res model is as-hard or harder than creating a high-resolution one. In the end you'd have effectively created the same mod twice, all for.... why?? To hold the attention of impatient man-children who aren't even contributing to the mod? Who even cares?

And, I mean, you're ****ed anyway. In Method 1 you're solving NP-complete problems. In Method 2 you're trying to get a bunch of hobbyists to replicate two years' work for a team of 50 artists. It'd be easier to finish Sith 2. That's why the people who actually understand this **** were working on it instead of a Quake 3 port, remember?
2010-11-01, 6:08 PM #31
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Thank you, Tracer. I hope I'd get properly motivated to work on it non-stop, though.

Hey, if you need any wicked vibey ambient electronic music let me know, I'm good for it.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-01, 6:35 PM #32
Originally posted by Mentat:
...because those that attempt it always fail to grasp the fact that they should "port" multi-player before single-player.

On top of what Jon`C said, porting multiplayer would be a big waste of time. Jedi Knight's multiplayer was enjoyable when it first came out; nowadays, it's just pedestrian. The only value that could be brought by a port of Jedi Knight would be its single player because its story is the only thing that could make it unique from other games.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-01, 6:58 PM #33
I still enjoy JK multiplayer on occasion but its mostly out of nostalgia. Newer generations of gamers wouldn't be impressed.
2010-11-01, 7:03 PM #34
You mean they wouldn't be impressed with a multiplayer component that is largely just deathmatch?
>>untie shoes
2010-11-01, 7:08 PM #35
CTF was cool
2010-11-01, 7:23 PM #36
I think if I had the time and inclination to reverse engineer all of those data files, invent numerically-stable algorithms for negative-to-positive space level conversion with automatic bot path node generation, write tools for texture packing, skinning, converting mesh hierarchies into skeletons, and had a team of 50 artists ready to patch up the impossible parts, I could think of something better to do.
2010-11-01, 7:28 PM #37
Originally posted by Emon:
CTF was cool

Especially large Nar. I loved that level.
2010-11-01, 7:32 PM #38
I want to play a game of CTF @ Nar now!!!
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-11-01, 7:33 PM #39
[____________] [Browse]

[PORT IT!]
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-11-01, 7:37 PM #40
I like where this thread went.
I don't like people who didn't read it at all and suck at reading comprehension, who decided that I wanted to rewrite the damn engine.

↑ Up to the top!