Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Yeah, NBC owns "SyFy", right?
Yeah, NBC owns "SyFy", right?
2010-11-05, 8:13 PM #1
From wikipedia:

Quote:
On October 27, 2010, Syfy canceled the show, citing low ratings, and pulled the remaining five episodes of the series from its broadcast schedule;[2] the remaining episodes will air during the first quarter of 2011.[3] However, they will continue to air as previously scheduled on Space in Canada.[4]

It doesn't surprise me but it sucks at the same time. I can't blame them for dumping the show if it wasn't making them money. I found it hard to stay tuned in sometimes but I hate it when they aren't given the chance to succeed or at least wrap it up for the fans they do have.

I only stumbled upon this because I was watching election coverage on Tuesday when Caprica normally airs. I assumed I would be watching it tonight. No mention of it in the guide and then I noticed that all the new episodes listed on wikipedia were said to be on "Space".
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-11-05, 8:28 PM #2
Yeah, NBC owns SyFy.

Jeff Zucker's business approach is to completely explode a show's budget for the first season, hype it up, and market the hell out of it. Basically, get as many people watching the show as possible.
Then for the later seasons, he totally slashes the show's budget, lays off most of the writers and lets it drift on the people who started watching in season 1.

The problem is this doesn't work at all in a business sense because it always results in unbearably bad TV that nobody can watch. The shows inevitably get cancelled as their revenues somehow manage to slip under their bare minimum budgets. But Zucker does it over and over again, because he's a stupid douche.

Fox is almost as bad. The real reason every Joss Whedon show fails is because Fox hates his shows, but Whedon's just too good to give away to a different network.
2010-11-05, 8:40 PM #3
Jeff Zucker doesn't run NBC anymore.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-05, 8:42 PM #4
Originally posted by Antony:
Jeff Zucker doesn't run NBC anymore.

Best news ever.
2010-11-05, 8:49 PM #5
To be fair, I never thought that Caprica had a good start to begin with.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-05, 9:53 PM #6
Caprica was ****ing fantastic and I now hate SyFy more then fox.
2010-11-05, 10:36 PM #7
It's not SyFy's fault not enough people were watching the show.
Pissed Off?
2010-11-05, 10:49 PM #8
They could have at least aired the last 4 episodes when they were scheduled. I would have been okay with that.
2010-11-06, 5:00 AM #9
And they've already bought a new BSG show, it seems.

"What? Philosophical questions about the origin of sentience? **** that. More explosions in space."
2010-11-06, 6:40 AM #10
never heard of that show...

But, btw, Jon`C, not every one of Joss Whedon's show's failed. Buffy had like 10 seasons or something like that.

[oh, ok 7. but that's still pretty respectable... Plus it spawned the spinoff.]
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-06, 7:05 AM #11
Something has happened in this thread that shouldn't be taken lightly. Antony told Jon`C something he didn't know.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-11-06, 7:15 AM #12
Originally posted by JM:

"What? Philosophical questions about the origin of sentience? **** that. More explosions in space."

I stopped watching about four or five episodes in when the father had a near-breakdown because his digital representation of his daughter MIGHT BE ALIVE BUT IS SHE REAL OH GOD IS SHE REAL OR ALIVE I DON'T KNOW. It was a level of understanding of technology on the level of CSI.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-06, 8:10 AM #13
OP was annoying because it didn't mention the name of the show it was talking about til the last paragraph. :P
2010-11-06, 10:01 AM #14
I know, even then it was only mentioned sort of as an afterthought.

2010-11-06, 10:10 AM #15
Originally posted by JM:

Or you know, they could have incorporated more drama AND action as BSG fans expected after watching that series. Caprica was boring and slow. SyFy acknowledged that with the direction the 2nd season was taking, but by then it was too late.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-11-06, 12:25 PM #16
Originally posted by Tibby:
Caprica was ****ing fantastic and I now hate SyFy more then fox.

agreed, looked very much forward to it EVERY week
2010-11-06, 1:00 PM #17
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
never heard of that show...

But, btw, Jon`C, not every one of Joss Whedon's show's failed. Buffy had [7 seasons]

and three good ones.
2010-11-06, 1:36 PM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
and three good ones.

so you're saying four of the seasons sucked? I'm not a fan of Buffy (haven't watched enough of it) or it's sequels but are you blaming fox for it sucking?

2010-11-06, 2:36 PM #19
Originally posted by Wookie06:
so you're saying four of the seasons sucked? I'm not a fan of Buffy (haven't watched enough of it) or it's sequels but are you blaming fox for it sucking?

That would be silly. Buffy and Angel were carried by the WB.
2010-11-06, 3:34 PM #20
Sometimes I envision this message board as a war between a billion cave men throwing stones at Jon` C's giant throbbing brain
2010-11-06, 3:46 PM #21
Sometimes I envision this message board as a billion cave men slobbering on or railing against Jon`C and then I'm like hey that's what massassi actually is half the time anymore and then i'm like smoke weed erryday sour diesel
2010-11-06, 3:53 PM #22
Originally posted by Yecti:
Or you know, they could have incorporated more drama AND action as BSG fans expected after watching that series. Caprica was boring and slow. SyFy acknowledged that with the direction the 2nd season was taking, but by then it was too late.

This was the back half of the first season.
Pissed Off?
2010-11-06, 4:11 PM #23
Caprica was not boring and slow, it used very minute it had to build up to some very good climaxes. Perfect example of a show that doesn't waste a second.
2010-11-06, 4:24 PM #24
Something has happened in this thread that shouldn't be taken lightly. Antony told Jon`C something he didn't know.

I agree that this should not go unnoticed.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-06, 4:53 PM #25
I just watched Stargate Universe, "Trial and Error", brilliant episode.

Another great show that might bite the dust waaaay before its time.

Forget action, I want intense plots and character development.
2010-11-06, 5:39 PM #26
For a bit there, though, Battlegate Universe 90210 was stuck on a trend of ending with "sad music, everyone crying in their rooms". I'm glad we're moving away from that.
2010-11-06, 5:58 PM #27
That would be silly. Buffy and Angel were carried by the WB.

It's just a bad example overall. I agree, in general, Fox canceled a good show, Dark Angel, for Firefly. They let that flop and failed bigger. But it would appear that Whedon in general has succeeded so what's your point?

2010-11-06, 6:03 PM #28
probably the opposite of whatever your point is big wook
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-06, 6:06 PM #29
But it would appear that Whedon in general has succeeded so what's your point?

Apparently my point is that suckling at the impressive Republican dong of News Corporation makes a person very stupid.
2010-11-06, 6:49 PM #30
Well, I'm not a good example anyway as the only show of his I've seen is Firefly and on DVD at that. It would appear that he has been successful, though, so I don't understand the whining (unless you're a huge Firefly fan).

2010-11-06, 6:56 PM #31
Originally posted by Avenger:
This was the back half of the first season.

My mistake. I thought the break denoted a change of season.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-11-06, 7:00 PM #32
Caprica was not boring and slow, it used very minute it had to build up to some very good climaxes. Perfect example of a show that doesn't waste a second.

No, Caprica had slow, boring, episodes. I'm not arguing that they were bad. Just slow and boring.

2010-11-06, 7:16 PM #33
I don't understand the whining (unless you're a huge Firefly fan).

I don't understand how a person's mind can decay to the point where they can no longer differentiate between a corporation and the propaganda they make.
2010-11-06, 7:16 PM #34
No, Caprica had slow, boring, episodes. I'm not arguing that they were bad. Just slow and boring.

It's you.

You're slow and boring.
2010-11-06, 7:36 PM #35
Let's not forget The Dollhouse.
2010-11-06, 8:15 PM #36

No, Caprica had a slow character driven way of presenting it's story. If you think it is boring you need to kill yourself.
2010-11-06, 10:10 PM #37
Quote:
My mistake. I thought the break denoted a change of season.
Not on SciFi. They do this thing where they have 'X.1' seasons. Stargate Universe 1.0 ran, then Caprica 1.0, then SGU 1.1. Then there was a break, and Caprica 1.1 and sgu 2.0 at the same time.

Quote:

Am I agreeing with Tibby and Jon'C at the same time? Is this even possible? Yes, I am. Caprica is only slow and boring if you are an illiterate fool. While I missed the technical bits about the invention of the cylons from season 1.0, season 1.1 was the only show currently on television that has the depth of character to keep my attention. That is the real legacy of BSG, not the robots or the explosions in space. BSG was about the people on the ship dealing with the issues of humanity. It was about them fighting with their own consciences to treat machine intelligence humanely, the war and the explosions were merely a means to bring these topics up. What we should see from the canceling of Caprica is that the writers overestimated the sophistication of their audience. More robots and explosions could have appeased the idiots who thought that's what BSG was, and given the show high enough ratings that the rest of us could continue to enjoy it for what it really is.
2010-11-07, 6:07 AM #38
Not 1.1, I believe they refer to them as "1.5"
2010-11-07, 8:40 PM #39
Originally posted by Wolfy:
For a bit there, though, Battlegate Universe 90210 was stuck on a trend of ending with "sad music, everyone crying in their rooms". I'm glad we're moving away from that.

This made me lol to tears.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-07, 9:04 PM #40
I don't understand how a person's mind can decay to the point where they can no longer differentiate between a corporation and the propaganda they make.

Whatever. I just know that when I look at shows he has created or co-created 2 of the 4 had impressive runs. The others lasted one and two seasons. Kind of silly to say that all of his shows fail and Fox is to blame. Apparently he had a cartoon that wasn't picked up, though. Maybe that's what has you pissed off.

It's you.

You're slow and boring.

Cool, bring on more personal attacks that weren't provoked. It makes you look even smarter.

No, Caprica had a slow character driven way of presenting it's story. If you think it is boring you need to kill yourself.

Well, I guess, first I should say, "F.O.". Then again, I'm fairly thick skinned so I won't do that but maybe you misunderstood. I like the show but some of the episodes do plod along with character development, as you allude to. That's not what keeps people tuned into a series related to BSG. I'm very disappointed that it was canceled. I thought it was just starting to get really good. I wish they would have opted to take some more risk. I think Jon`C's initial comments with regards to the NBC business model are extremely valid, even though Antony had to school him a bit.

And for some reason I think "kill yourself" jokes are over the top. But don't get excited, it's not because I'm actually considering it.

↑ Up to the top!