Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Steam sales + wishlists
Steam sales + wishlists
2010-11-24, 4:58 PM #1
Steam is allegedly giving 30 players their top 5 games in their wishlists between NOW and November 29th.

Microscopic odds, but still worth a shot.

Do it. DO IT NOW.

Plus, their sales have already started (not waiting until Friday I guess).

Both Deus Ex games are up for $4.99 together.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-24, 6:01 PM #2
Steam website won't load. :(

o.0
2010-11-24, 6:18 PM #3
Nabbing Deus Ex pack, thanks!

My list:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Just Cause 2
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Street Fighter 4

I picked games that wouldn't go down in price quickly, and I'd probably like, but just can't bring myself to buy. I kind of wish I'd known about this wishlist thing before me and the girlfriend decided what we were getting for eachother. >.>

Were the new Sam and Max games any good? The whole pack is only 5 bucks, but I recall someone saying they were sort of lackluster.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-24, 7:18 PM #4
I remembered several people raving about their ridonkulus prices last year, so I thought I'd go ahead and update my client and snoop around the store.

My wishlist is almost all older games that I know my aging PC will run.. :(
1. Spore
2. Battlefront II
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Splinter Cell: Double-Agent
5. DX:IW

I hesitantly put DX:IW on there because I've owned it once, and sold it because I wasn't really moved by the game like the original. But after playing the original again a few months ago, it's back on my list, and if I don't win it for free, I'll move something else in its place (The first Fallout game).
2010-11-24, 8:35 PM #5
Last year I didn't buy anything because I kept hoping that more and more better deals would happen. Then I regretted not buying anything.

now, on day 1, I'm torn.

Borderlands for 10 bucks is the one I want, but I already have the platinum trophy from renting it last year.

Deus ex 2 for 2.50.
I never finished it but people said it sucked a bit.

Alpha Protocol for 7.50.
But it's getting 6/10 everywhere in reviews.

Hmm.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2010-11-24, 8:49 PM #6
I have so many games from last year and this summer that I havent played yet.

o.0
2010-11-24, 10:32 PM #7
Damn. It won't let you add collections to your wishlist. :(

EDIT: But you can add un-released games! Portal 2 is on my list. Here's hoping...
2010-11-24, 10:45 PM #8
I've never sat through the entire Deus Ex. Anyone wanna jump into one of the coop mods with me this weekend, possibly?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-26, 3:22 PM #9
Originally posted by Veger:
Alpha Protocol for 7.50.
But it's getting 6/10 everywhere in reviews.

Hmm.

Alpha Protocol is excellent. Yes, people had problems with bugs and, yes, Mike's stealth walk is ridiculous, but it's a lot of fun, the mechanics are solid, and the story is really good. I paid £21.99 but for £7.50 / $7.50 I would bite your hand off for it.

I've never gotten wishlists. What's the purpose of them? Are they just supposed to show trends or what?
2010-11-26, 3:26 PM #10
You create a personal wishlist within your steam account. Don't know what they do with it (likely nothing at all).
2010-11-26, 3:41 PM #11
30 people each day are getting their top 5 games from their wishlist. Also, it's a good thing to post on your facebook wall as a hint-hint.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-26, 3:53 PM #12
I got the part about 30 people getting their top 5 each day and I've seen wishlists on other sites before (like Amazon), I just don't get the point of them particularly. Maybe I'm just not popular enough to have people buy me things with any regularity :P
2010-11-26, 6:14 PM #13
wishlists are also useful for bookmarking things for later purchase.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2010-11-26, 8:16 PM #14
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Damn. It won't let you add collections to your wishlist. :(

EDIT: But you can add un-released games! Portal 2 is on my list. Here's hoping...

Heh yeah, that was one of the first things I tried...ahwell. I found 5 that I wouldn't mind trying.
woot!
2010-11-27, 10:23 AM #15
(I know I'm hurtin my chances but I love you massassi, so here we go:)
Remember that you have to have at least 10 items on your wishlist to be eligible for the "win the top 5 on your list" thing.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2010-11-27, 10:24 AM #16
Really? Dammit. Thanks!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-27, 11:12 AM #17
I didn't see that, but thank goodness I had eleven.

I'm also so pathetic, that I'm checking all my junk folders daily, "just in case".

Of course, I figure there's 10 million Steam users (anybody know a more accurate number? I made that up.) and their 5-day giveaway will allegedly select 150. 150 out of 10 million are pretty bad odds.
2010-11-27, 11:49 AM #18
(I know I'm hurtin my chances but I love you massassi, so here we go:)
Remember that you have to have at least 10 items on your wishlist to be eligible for the "win the top 5 on your list" thing.

Hm I didn't see that either..just had 5, now I have 10.
woot!
2010-11-27, 5:12 PM #19
Just picked up Supcom 2 for 3.75. How could I not?
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-11-27, 5:31 PM #20
I did the same, even though I'll probably not play it for a very long time. Dammit, Steam.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-27, 10:58 PM #21
I did too, and I doubt I'll play it anytime soon. 3 bucks is a "oh come on I have to buy it" situation.

I picked up Dawn of war 2 Gold edition yesterday, so I'm wrapped up playing that. It's actually kinda a cool game. RTS with no buildings, just hero units that you can equip with different gear that you find.
2010-11-27, 11:08 PM #22
Left for Dead 2 for $5?

PAYS TO WAIT *****ES
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-11-28, 1:32 AM #23
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Just picked up Supcom 2 for 3.75. How could I not?

Me too. A buddy and I played a couple games today. It doesn't really sate my desire for fort management, but for a quick skirmish and for 4 bucks I couldn't pass it up.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-11-28, 2:31 AM #24
The problem with Steam sales is avoiding what I'll never play. I've got a tonne of games from last Christmas that I've installed but never progressed any further.

Shame you can't sell or even give them away... :(
2010-11-28, 6:26 AM #25
Yecti I tried to add you as a friend last night because I saw you playing it, but you never got back to me.
2010-11-28, 6:43 AM #26
Was looking at SupCom 2, but I can remember playing the beta of the first one and my machine struggled. :(
nope.
2010-11-28, 10:38 AM #27
I got Liberty City Stories, but now Street Fighter is on sale too. Dammit steam!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-28, 12:26 PM #28
Yecti I tried to add you as a friend last night because I saw you playing it, but you never got back to me.

I'm terrible about paying attention to steam alerts. I'll look now. lol
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-11-28, 12:42 PM #29
The only thing I've been tempted to buy so far was DX:IW, and I hesitated too long. :/
2010-11-28, 1:03 PM #30
also picked up supcom2, seems to be something i might play every so often.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2010-11-28, 2:07 PM #31
**** big greedy corporations, holy ****.

Liberty City Stories lacks all of the awesome music from GTA:IV like Massive B radio because Sony Music decided it broke their contract, so instead there's a bunch of B tracks and a new hardcore radio station full of ****.

Then I get to an auto-save point and I have to log into an online Windows Live service in order to save, because apparently they can stop piracy! Only problem is their service wouldn't log all morning. After playing for several hours, I want to go get some stuff done today, so I need to save. I try one more time, and finally it logs me in only to totally restart the whole campaign and ignore all of my progress to that point.

I'm getting really sick of corporations so big they don't have any heart, responsibility to their consumers, or trust. Not only does my game have to check in before it installs, but I have to check in any time I want to save? This has gone too far. I actually paid for your cocksucking game.

I can't get Godfather 2 on steam so I'm probably just gonna pirate that **** now, despite a "WINDOWS MARKETPLACE" eating resources in my taskbar since I logged into the Live service that probably offers the game for download. Treat me like a pirate, tough **** then I'll pirate.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-28, 3:29 PM #32
Stop buying their games. Don't even buy the ones you actually want to play, or the ones that don't have this.
2010-11-28, 3:40 PM #33
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Treat me like a pirate, tough **** then I'll pirate.

So wait... you're basically saying that because a game isn't available via the delivery method you prefer, or because it doesn't have the content you want, you are being forced to pirate it?

The Orange Box is $7.50 right now... anyone who doesn't have it yet (I bet the list is pretty small) is an idiot for not picking it up now.
2010-11-28, 4:32 PM #34
I never said I was being forced, but since Steam I haven't pirated a game in years. I wanted to pick up God Father 2 because I'm on a sandbox binge right now and the don mode in that looks like a lot of fun, but I really don't want to download from Microsoft after encountering their stupid live service.

I know they're out to make money, but you'd think if they knew the kind of negative experience a paying customer was having they'd want to do things a little differently. Except they don't care because all they have to do is license games that people want to buy anyway, and then they can get away with whatever bull**** they want.

Like the lack of fair pc multiplayer for Black Ops. That would sign a death warrant for any other PC title, but because it's related to the most widely played game, they are rewarded for their shisting, and can validate it for a wider variety of titles until it becomes ubiquitous. I'm looking at you, 3 years of DLC.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-28, 4:42 PM #35
Huh... because in your post, you sure try to make it sound like it's the developers fault that you choose to pirate their games.
2010-11-28, 5:12 PM #36
Right, since I'm being treated as a pirate already, I'm not going to spend money downloading a product I had planned on buying before. I am penalizing them in the only way they'll ever possibly notice. At some point they have to realize that making it harder for paying customers to play the game will only encourage people to pirate.

Edit: I was obviously raging, but the point still remains. They have no accountability to their costumers, and too many hands are in the pot for anyone's best interest to be taken care of. Rockstar had implied that the music licensing would be for all of the DLC after paying an arm and a leg, but SBMG decided that each was its own individual game and would require its own licensing after the fact, delaying the games. Microsoft decided to pay a bundle of cash to have the two DLC for their system before anyone else did, again hurting consumers for a bottom dollar. The logging in just to save helps no one, as I'll put money on it being patched in cracked versions.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-28, 6:05 PM #37
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Right, since I'm being treated as a pirate already, I'm not going to spend money downloading a product I had planned on buying before. I am penalizing them in the only way they'll ever possibly notice. At some point they have to realize that making it harder for paying customers to play the game will only encourage people to pirate.

Edit: I was obviously raging, but the point still remains.

I wasn't arguing with your point about the accountability of game makers for the quality of their games. I'm not evening arguing against the idea of pirating games. What is completely illogical is the way you are shifting the blame for the choice to perform an illegal action from yourself to the game makers, and acting like it will ever "make a difference."

Tell me: How is pirating these games, and refusing to stand up and take accountability for the choice to do so, ever going to bring about a solution to this situation that everyone is happy with?

You say that you are penalizing them in the only way that they'll ever notice. And yeah, they'll notice it all right- with a court summons if you get caught. What game maker (or distributor), is ever going to listen to a game pirate who's defense is "well, maybe if you made better games, or made them available via a better delivery method, I wouldn't have pirated it." The fact is, Kirby, if you get caught, they aren't going to listen to your justifications at all (and your justifications are pretty weak to begin with).

Even if you do have a point, by choosing to express your dissatisfaction through an illegal action, in their minds, you're just going to get lumped with all the lazy teenage males who choose to pirate games simply because they don't want to pay for them. You won't be listened too at all. Your actions are also quite disrespectful towards the game makers- choosing to steal something for free when, legally, you should be paying for it. If you can't respect them enough to not steal something (even if it's something that truly isn't worth paying for) then, again, why should they listen to you?

PS: Kirby, I hope you're not taking this the wrong way! I still love you. :) Just trying to engage in some debate over something I disagree with!
2010-11-28, 6:22 PM #38
Again, the pirating part was rage and wouldn't help my argument. The point stands that, by treating users like pirates before they've even pirated, they've provided an incentive for pirating, because that version doesn't require an internet connection to save. I said I'd pirate that game out of anger and am not arguing that their poor treatment of players legitimizes my piracy of a totally different product.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-29, 10:40 AM #39
New sale today! Much better than yesterday's I think.

I see Aliens vs Predator for $6.80, BUT it has 6/10 range reviews.

Then I start reading about this game Metro 2033 for 10 bucks. Apparently it's an atmospheric shooter that's getting generally 8/10 reviews, sorta like half-life in a bioshock/stalker esque atmosphere. I think I might give this one a try.
2010-11-29, 10:43 AM #40
I don't know much about the Monkey Island series, but I hear it's awesome. Is Monkey Island 2 considered a good game in the series? The special edition is on sale at Steam now.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."

↑ Up to the top!