Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Female handshake etiquette
Female handshake etiquette
2010-11-30, 12:29 AM #1
I'm going to assume that all but about 1 or 2 people reading this are going to be males. When you are introduced to a couple in a casual setting, like at a party or something, and you shake hands with the other man, do you then shake hands with his girlfriend or wife or whatever? I usually try to, but sometimes it feels a bit awkward. What about when you are just introduced to a female or introduce yourself to a female who doesn't have a male counterpart? My handshake for the female is typically light and gentle as compared to the man and maybe consists of just the fingers or just the top half of the hand. Is this weird? I've read that it might not be proper to shake hands with the opposite sex in a casual setting.....but I feel stupid shaking hands with a guy then not with the girl standing right next to him.

The situation baffles me. Your thoughts?
2010-11-30, 1:06 AM #2
Wow.

Some cultural differences between Western cultures still baffle me. No such issues around here AFAIK.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-11-30, 1:32 AM #3
Well, I've never encountered this as an issue either. This isn't the 50's; there's no reason this should be a question.
2010-11-30, 1:34 AM #4
No, because she probably just touched him on the penis.

o.0
2010-11-30, 3:27 AM #5
Originally posted by Greenboy:
No, because she probably just touched him on the penis.

So he doesn't touch it himself? Or do you refuse all handshaking on the grounds that anyone is potentially a toucher of penises?

FGR, I didn't know we were a western culture!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-11-30, 4:22 AM #6
Firm handshakes for guys, light handshakes for women, though, for women, I wait a split second to see if they extend their hand - nothing's more awkward than extending for a handshake and being all REQUEST DENIED.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-30, 4:42 AM #7
You don't shake a woman's hand, you take the hand and kiss it lightly. Then you return the hand.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-11-30, 4:52 AM #8
I shake female hands.. as far as I can say, I shake them just as firmly as a guy's handshake. Maybe slightly softer. But I don't think I've ever thought about it, to be honest.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-30, 6:02 AM #9
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
I shake female hands.. as far as I can say, I shake them just as firmly as a guy's handshake. Maybe slightly softer. But I don't think I've ever thought about it, to be honest.

Me neither. :confused:
woot!
2010-11-30, 6:56 AM #10
Yeah I've never thought about this either. I've always handshaked everyone, except for the girls who proactively hug everyone, which is a whole different issue. :P
2010-11-30, 7:01 AM #11
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah I've never thought about this either. I've always handshaked everyone, except for the girls who proactively hug everyone, which is a whole different issue. :P

SKANKS! ****ING SKANKS!
:XD:
2010-11-30, 7:14 AM #12
mmmm i luv me those girls who provocatively hug everyone unh unh

p.s. erection
2010-11-30, 8:06 AM #13
Proper etiquette for greeting females is that you allow them to extend their hand first. The same is also true when meeting someone older or of a higher "rank." It is a sign of respect.
2010-11-30, 8:07 AM #14
the proper procedure for shaking hands with a female is to use both hands and reach for the breasts... be prepared to block attacks from her male companion
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2010-11-30, 8:46 AM #15
pretty much what wolfy said.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-11-30, 8:56 AM #16
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:

Ditto. It doesn't seem worth much thinking about.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-11-30, 9:42 AM #17
Originally posted by Steven:
Proper etiquette for greeting females is that you allow them to extend their hand first. The same is also true when meeting someone older or of a higher "rank." It is a sign of respect.

More like a sign of *****in down. I ALWAYS initiate the shake. Sometimes I will see someone across a room and immediately extend my hand and begin to march across the room at them, maintaining stern eye contact the whole way. Because I am THE alpha male. I also squeeze until I hear pops.
Warhead[97]
2010-11-30, 10:18 AM #18
How to shake a female's hand: A guide for the socially maladjusted Massassian

1. First, begin as you would when shaking a male's hand
2. Continue to hold the hand. Strengthen your grip to discourage her from pulling her hand away.
3. Maintain intense eye contact, relax your jaw, and breathe heavily through your mouth.
4. Pitch a tent.
I'm just a little boy.
2010-11-30, 10:52 AM #19
i motorboat every girl i meet instead of shaking their hands.

skips all of those silly steps.
DO NOT WANT.
2010-11-30, 10:57 AM #20
I'll give it a lighter shake/grip than a man hand, if she extends it in expectation. Otherwise a smile and a nod of acknowledgment is all she gets from me.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-11-30, 11:47 AM #21
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
all she gets from me.

:cool:
2010-11-30, 12:21 PM #22
...that and hand crabs...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-11-30, 2:58 PM #23
i try to shake womens hands all the time, they are equal to men, why wouldnt i show them the same respect

i have noticed however that THEY will often provide a lighter handshake, and sometimes only give me the first half of their fingers
2010-11-30, 4:38 PM #24
I shake hands. Never been denied a handshake by a girl... what is that all about?

In casual situations (not at work), often when I give them a hand, they immediately do the one, two (or three) kisses on the cheeks.

So all I ever do is trying to keep track of who wants one, who two, and who three kisses.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-11-30, 5:02 PM #25
Originally posted by Couchman:
i try to shake womens hands all the time, they are equal to men, why wouldnt i show them the same respect

i have noticed however that THEY will often provide a lighter handshake, and sometimes only give me the first half of their fingers

give her the first half of your fingers right back

o.0
2010-11-30, 5:04 PM #26
I wish I was raised in a cheek kiss society -_-
2010-11-30, 5:04 PM #27
loligetit

[goddamnit sab]
2010-11-30, 5:25 PM #28
:hist101:
2010-11-30, 8:18 PM #29
Absolutely you should shake their hand. I've always found that women really appreciate the gesture as long as you don't give crazy ass handshakes. Don't squeeze too hard but don't half ass it, just do a normal handshake.

If it's a younger crowd/college party type atmosphere and a handshake is too formal, try to at least blow it up with em or something, girls love that kind of thing. Just do a "around here we don't shake hands, we do it like this..." or whatever and its a nice light hearted way to start a conversation.
2010-11-30, 8:45 PM #30
I try to initiate chest bumps, but the girls never seem willing to oblige...
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-30, 9:00 PM #31
Professionally, I gently shake the woman's hand.

If it's someone relatively random or just a friend of a friend at a party or something, I don't shake their hand unless they extend it.

If it's a close friend's fiance or something, I may greet them with a hug.
2010-11-30, 9:26 PM #32
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
crazy ass handshakes. Don't squeeze too hard but don't half ass it, just do a normal handshake.

This just seems so funny to me :D
2010-11-30, 9:58 PM #33
As a rule, I squeeze as firmly as the other person does.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2010-11-30, 11:01 PM #34
Most terrifying thing. When you relax your grip and start to let go, only to realize you are still in the grasp of the other person, and begin milking their hand like an udder in awkward confusion.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-30, 11:05 PM #35
Originally posted by Vornskr:
This isn't the 50's; there's no reason this should be a question.

p much
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-11-30, 11:17 PM #36
Always shake her hand for the most part. Very rarely do I not shake their hand unless they give off a vibe that says that they don't want to or they keep their distance.
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2010-11-30, 11:23 PM #37
I got to practice this tonight. I met a girl I didn't know. She held her hand out and we had a satisfying, mutually firm handshake. I was totally comfortable.

Thanks Massassi! :D
2010-11-30, 11:46 PM #38
The only thing a woman should shake is her a**!

[sarcasm]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2010-12-01, 1:12 AM #39
this thread is hilarious
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2010-12-01, 9:04 AM #40
Originally posted by maevie:
this thread is hilarious

If you were from Utah you wouldn't think it was so ****ing funny.

But luckilydykes can't fly n stuff.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!