Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Female handshake etiquette
Female handshake etiquette
2010-12-01, 2:10 PM #41
I'll be honest, I'm almost always unsure with handshake etiquette. I'm never sure if I should go with a handshake or hug. Is a hug too weird if I don't know this person? Is a handshake too formal? And then there are the [relatively few] times I just smile and wave, but does that come off as unfriendly? I'm never sure, so I just go on a case by case basis, pick one, and go with it.

Strength is also a big question mark for me. I have a pretty firm handshake, but I'm also never too sure if it's too firm and I'm squeezing the poor *******'s hand or what.

I mean, it's not something that keeps me up at night, but it's definitely something I'm always unsure about.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2010-12-01, 2:24 PM #42
1. In my opinion, no situation is too informal for a handshake. It applies everywhere.
2. I don't think anyone will get mad if you have a firm handshake, but employers and such might see a weak handshake as a lack of resolve. I mean, unless you're crushing and grinding their knuckles (like kids would do back in grade school :P), it's probably not too firm.
3. I think hugs are weird if I've never ever met you before. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
2010-12-01, 3:15 PM #43
I usually go with a handshake for "hello, nice to meet you," and a hug for goodbye.

But I do still soemtimes consciously remind myself to lighten up my handshake a little. I don't grind anyone's knuckles, but still :P
2010-12-01, 3:33 PM #44
hugs are fine if you are attractive and not a tease.

Otherwise they are a tease to people from the real world where you only hug people youre ****ing
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-12-01, 3:40 PM #45
I didn't know that was the rule in the real world O_o

I hugged my cousin's boyfriend at Thanksgiving! Oh noes! :P
2010-12-01, 4:07 PM #46
Originally posted by sugarless:
I didn't know that was the rule in the real world O_o

I hugged my cousin's boyfriend at Thanksgiving! Oh noes! :P

wtf how have you been reading the fan fiction I write about you!? :psylon:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-12-02, 10:45 AM #47
Originally posted by Spook:
otherwise they are a tease to people from the real world where you only hug people youre ****ing

Wait, what?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2010-12-02, 2:37 PM #48
Yeah, what?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!