Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thank God for football.
Thank God for football.
2011-08-09, 6:05 PM #1
To help us take our minds off all the BS going on in the world right now. Be it college, professional or whatever, it is so close and I cannot wait! Maybe you get even more worked up over football than we do over economic or government issues, but at least it's a game and a damn fine one.

We vacationed to Door county WI a couple weeks ago, right as the NFL lockout ended and had the opportunity to tour Lambeau Field. How effin awesome it was, even as a Vikings fan.

Who is ready for FOOTBALL?

Who are you rooting for, predictions and hopes?
2011-08-09, 7:11 PM #2
Bloody waste of time.

If you have to take your mind off the world sucking, fine. Go read a ****ing book.
2011-08-09, 7:26 PM #3
FAVREBALL IS NO MORE.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-08-09, 9:25 PM #4
Originally posted by JM:
Bloody waste of time.

If you have to take your mind off the world sucking, fine. Go read a ****ing book.

gay
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2011-08-09, 9:48 PM #5
Originally posted by JM:
Bloody waste of time.

Right, 'cause things that don't suit your particular tastes are simply wastes of time. I don't care for football myself, but I can easily see how everything I like and everything you like is a waste of time using your logic. Therefore your statement is not particularly useful or meaningful.

I mean, really JM.. by what authority do you declare that books > football? Because it certainly doesn't appear to be any other than your opinion masquerading as fact.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-08-09, 10:08 PM #6

E: Wow Never mind
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-08-09, 10:09 PM #7
Enough.

I'll admit I'm pretty behind on my football during the "offseason" as I've been concentrating mostly on baseball.

Chargers Predictions: Resigning Eric Weddle was a good move albeit overpaid. He's good at SS. However, our weakness is at the running game and pass rush. Corey Liuget may or may not be the answer to our problems but I'm told he's decent. If Bob Sanders can stay healthy I believe that is a good bolster to our secondary. Quentin Jammer might learn something. Division-wise: Raiders were only able to beat up on a not-so-good division and losing to everyone else. Losing Nnamdi didn't help matters and they have to rely on Jason Campbell. Oh, they have yet another new HC. Denver has just all kind of problems right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the 0-16 contender. I think it'll be Chargers and Chiefs as the stronger ones. Yes, it's a bit homer but I think Chargers should regain AFCW title. The only thing I ask is to WIN SOME ****ING GAMES IN SEPTEMBER!!!1
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2011-08-09, 11:59 PM #8
eh... nothing is really going to take my mind off of our new shiny silver bullet of a credit score. Not even chocolate covered lesbian strippers will distract my thoughts from the oncoming Great Depression II.

Also when concerning opinion its generally best to ignore any posting by JM.
2011-08-10, 12:21 AM #9
I'm with JM on this one but you guys have fun.
? :)
2011-08-10, 12:26 AM #10
I'm with Freelancer on this one but you guys have fun.
2011-08-10, 12:34 AM #11
dalf: Ryan Clark of the Steelers tweeted that Weddle's new salary is worth as much as Clark's and Troy Polamalu's combined. Do you know if that's true? Corey Liuget is damn good. Sanders will not stay healthy. Jammer won't learn anything if he hasn't already, which he hasn't. As a Broncos fan, I thought they were well on their way to an 0-16 season before they signed Ty Warren (Christ, finally a defensive tackle worth a damn) and announced that the comfortingly mediocre Kyle Orton would start again this year. I think Denver might actually challenge Oakland for third place in the division.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-08-10, 4:53 AM #12
Amazingly I agree with Free.

I think that's the second time this year. :huh:
nope.
2011-08-10, 5:02 AM #13
I don't know, I'm on the fence.

On one hand, I just don't think books compare to football. Books are way better than a bunch of guys playing grab ass on artificial mud for a giant bad lemon. On the other hand you're allowed to drink beer anytime football is on and no one will say **** to you. Drinking and reading are hard activities to combine.

I think free, jm, and lameclan snake are all right for different reasons.
2011-08-10, 6:22 AM #14
Peeeeeeeeyton Hillis, *****es! (thanks, MacFarlane. I hope Brady Quinn was worth it)
>>untie shoes
2011-08-10, 6:53 AM #15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITZCr6gR8gA
2011-08-10, 10:05 AM #16
Originally posted by JM:
Bloody waste of time.

:colbert:

edit- TO BE PAINFULLY CLEAR THATS NOT ME AGREEING WITH JM.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-08-10, 10:12 AM #17
I watch the football games when I'm at my family's house and they are watchin' 'em. Otherwise I'll check with them on how the ol' home team's doin' once in a while, but it doesn't do too much for me.
2011-08-10, 2:25 PM #18
Originally posted by JM:
Bloody waste of time.

Ha... haha. Massassi at it's best.

I've probably read more books this year than you have.

Get over yourself.
2011-08-10, 2:32 PM #19
Let's see, my NFL team (Titans) has a new coach, new quarterback, and Chris Johnson is still skipping out on training camp last I heard... Not optimistic.

And my alma mater (Vandy) also has a new coach, who I like, but I'm still not very optimistic.

None of these factors will stop me from enjoying the hell out of football season and drinking copious amounts of beer though.
2011-08-10, 2:50 PM #20
Originally posted by Darth:
Let's see, my NFL team (Titans) has a new coach, new quarterback, and Chris Johnson is still skipping out on training camp last I heard... Not optimistic.

Cheer up.
2011-08-10, 3:03 PM #21
Good, I want to at least get a few more years out of my CJ jersey. I knew better than to ever buy one for Vince Young.
2011-08-10, 3:13 PM #22
Originally posted by genk:
FAVREBALL IS NO MORE.

FAVREBALL IS FOREVER.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2011-08-10, 3:46 PM #23
Originally posted by finity5:
Ha... haha. Massassi at it's best. I've probably read more books this year than you have. Get over yourself.
I'd bet everything I own that MacFarlane has read more this year than all of us combined, and he's probably the biggest football fan on this board.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-10, 3:50 PM #24
Quote:
I mean, really JM.. by what authority do you declare that books > football? Because it certainly doesn't appear to be any other than your opinion masquerading as fact.

What you can learn from books : Everything.
What you can learn from football : Count to 4, then punt.

Quote:
I've probably read more books this year than you have.
That's quite possible, I've had a busy year. I've only gotten through probably ten novels or so, and only six tech books all year, I think. But I haven't seen any football games at all, not even the 'soccer' kind, so I think I'm still winning.
2011-08-10, 3:54 PM #25
Yeah **** sports! Can't learn a goddamn thing from them! Entertainment? **** that!

JM, get off my lawn.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-08-10, 4:08 PM #26
Originally posted by JM:

That's quite possible, I've had a busy year. I've only gotten through probably ten novels or so, and only six tech books all year, I think. But I haven't seen any football games at all, not even the 'soccer' kind, so I think I'm still winning.

JM's Proof of Football Sucking:
'I haven't seen it, therefore, I can learn nothing from it, and neither can you'
Q.E.D

Anyways, I don't need to write anything longer about my predictions for the Packers. We will win the Super Bowl again. Simple as that :)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-08-10, 4:46 PM #27
Originally posted by Antony:
I'd bet everything I own that MacFarlane has read more this year than all of us combined, and he's probably the biggest football fan on this board.

You might lose that bet dude, it was my third year. :P
2011-08-10, 4:54 PM #28
Oh good point. I retract that statement. But I do find it necessary to point out that JM having not seen any football this year is not really a good argument. It's only August. There have only been about 10 games played this year.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-10, 11:15 PM #29
Originally posted by JM:

First of all:

You can learn significantly more from football than you claim, and significantly less from books than you claim. Unless, perchance you know the location of the Library of Babel?

Furthermore, you're comparing them by only a single, narrow metric. Didn't you know, JM? It's all about perspective. Why shouldn't a person judge the two pastimes by metrics other than educational value? Here are a few: entertainment value, time investment, monetary cost, popularity, conversational potential, the number of human senses involved.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-08-10, 11:46 PM #30
Originally posted by JM:

I've only gotten through probably ten novels or so, and only six tech books all year, I think.
Are you joking? Novels teach you **** all. The only value reading fiction has over any other form of entertainment is a flimsy excuse to be a pretentious pseudo-intellectual douche.
2011-08-10, 11:59 PM #31
Originally posted by Darth:
None of these factors will stop me from enjoying the hell out of football season and drinking copious amounts of beer though.

Now that's something that I can relate to.
2011-08-11, 12:39 AM #32
More like rugby ripoff WHAT ABOUT THOSE BEANS HUH
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-08-11, 6:02 AM #33
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Are you joking? Novels teach you **** all. The only value reading fiction has over any other form of entertainment is a flimsy excuse to be a pretentious pseudo-intellectual douche.

Not entirely true; I've learned a few cocktail recipes from novels.
nope.
2011-08-11, 6:22 AM #34
I submit this as an interesting perspective on how we can possibly learn "things" from fiction (including novels). I personally read more non-fiction than fiction but I do think that I have learned things from reading novels. It's true that you can learn many of these things using other mediums (e.g: television) but I don't think it's true that you can't learn from novels.
2011-08-11, 9:06 AM #35
Football teaches you about strategy.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-11, 9:40 AM #36
Pfft I don't like football so I can't possibly see how someone else might like it. Why don't you just go read a book you dumb jocks
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2011-08-11, 9:52 AM #37
Florida's offense should improve with Charlie Weis as OC. I don't think it can really be any worse than last year.
2011-08-11, 9:57 AM #38
I don't personally dispute the fact that one can learn from sports. One can learn from just about anything.
2011-08-11, 10:10 AM #39
New thread to talk about books and learnin'.
2011-08-11, 11:57 AM #40
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Not entirely true; I've learned a few cocktail recipes from novels.

Pfft. I've invented a few cocktails watching football.

↑ Up to the top!