Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gamepads
Gamepads
2011-09-30, 8:32 AM #1
I'm in the market for a gamepad & am hoping that you folks could make some recommendations. I know next to nothing about this particular type of hardware so feel free to explain things in lamen terms. The only stipulations are that it must be cross-platform & USB. My primary operating system is OSX but I also have a Windows 7 partition & another computer with Linux (Debian). I could get by with just being able to use it on OSX & Windows 7 but all 3 would be ideal. I don't know how expensive these things can get, so I won't pretend that price isn't a factor, so if they get out of hand, I'll let you know. If there is anything that I've left out, ask away.
? :)
2011-09-30, 8:42 AM #2
Just get an xbox 360 controller. I have no idea what its status is for Linux drivers (although I imagine someone's made one by now), but it is natively supported in Windows and OS X has a third party driver for free.
2011-09-30, 8:58 AM #3
Seconded, get a 360 controller. It works great in Windows and Linux.

The 360 controller is also a good choice for OSX, for what little it's worth. There's a driver for OSX that I've used, and it works fine. The problem is that OSX is a truly awful operating system for games and game development. There's no OS support for joysticks or gamepads. Writing an application that uses a gamepad means dropping down to Carbon and directly handling the HID protocol. It's really annoying and almost impossible to get right if you aren't a full-time HID driver developer, so almost nobody bothers with it (or they sell it as a premium feature.)

Just save yourself a lot of pain and reboot into an OS that hasn't been designed against games.
2011-09-30, 9:52 AM #4
Thirded, 360 controller. Either get a wired one and just use that, or get the wireless one and get the little USB wireless receiver for it.
2011-09-30, 10:07 AM #5
Yeah I can't disagree with any of the replies thus far.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-30, 10:09 AM #6
Originally posted by Jon`C:
OSX, etc.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people complaining about using gamepads on OSX. That's one of the reasons that I was concerned. Any future games that I purchase will probably be for Windows but I do have a few games for OSX that I'd like to play.

Well, it looks like I'm going to be getting a 360 controller. Thanks!
2011-09-30, 2:15 PM #7
I'm guessing that this is not going to work seeing as osx and cross-platforming are both terms that fall alien on my ears. In case you were looking for an alternative id suggest looking on ebay. Even if you already have a 360 controller, you still have to shell out at least $20 for the pc adapter thing. Its worth it i guess if you want a quality controller. I got a generic ps2 style controller from china on ebay, cost me $6 (including shipping). It woks awesome too! I have win7 and use it for all my emulaters (nes,snes,n64,gameboy) as well as my pc games (Tron 2.0, Jedi Knight / MotS). As i said, its worked extremely well for a small amount of money.

This is what i got... Pretty generic, i know, but the price was right, and actually, its damn good quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-GamePad-Joypad-Double-Dual-Shock-Game-Controller-PC-/110713347382?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item19c7079d36

I
know i have no frame of reference here and am like a child wondering in on a conversation, but i thought id put the option out there.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2011-09-30, 2:51 PM #8
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
I'm guessing that this is not going to work seeing as osx and cross-platforming are both terms that fall alien on my ears. In case you were looking for an alternative id suggest looking on ebay. Even if you already have a 360 controller, you still have to shell out at least $20 for the pc adapter thing. Its worth it i guess if you want a quality controller.

That's only true if you get the wireless model. The USB wired ones simply plug right in.
2011-09-30, 3:05 PM #9
I was just assuming that usually if your using your 360 controller its for convience, and that i assume if anyone were to have a 360 controller it would be one of the newer ones. At that juncture, its all on the buyers indiscretion i guess. If you have a wired 360 controller already Mentat, your set. If you have a wireless then your objective becomes simple.
2011-10-02, 2:38 AM #10
There's also adaptors for PS2 and PS2/N64 controllers. I use the latter and it works perfectly, since I prefer the 64 controller.
2011-10-02, 6:55 AM #11
Seriously?
2011-10-02, 9:05 AM #12
I was just assuming that usually if your using your 360 controller its for convience, and that i assume if anyone were to have a 360 controller it would be one of the newer ones. At that juncture, its all on the buyers indiscretion i guess. If you have a wired 360 controller already Mentat, your set. If you have a wireless then your objective becomes simple.

No, people use the 360 controller for PC games because it's a great controller. And I don't know what you mean about "newer ones." They still make the wired controllers. You can get it from Amazon or Newegg for about 30 dollars.

Originally posted by x25064:
There's also adaptors for PS2 and PS2/N64 controllers. I use the latter and it works perfectly, since I prefer the 64 controller.

I cannot fathom any reason to prefer the N64 controller over virtually anything.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 9:19 AM #13

There's nothing "newer" about the wired controllers. They were released at the same time and they are still both in production. One simply uses a cable and the other doesn't.
2011-10-02, 11:03 AM #14
Originally posted by x25064:
I prefer the 64 controller.

YES! Regardless of anything anyone says, the 64 controller is where its at.

I bow to you.
2011-10-02, 11:15 AM #15
What? The N64 controller is worthless. I cannot imagine any reason why anyone would possibly prefer it over the 360 or PS2 controller unless you have 3 arms.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:17 AM #16
Holy **** guys the n64 controller could possibly be the most uncomfortable controller made
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2011-10-02, 11:19 AM #17
You can only use 2/3 of it at a time. I understand that this may be a difficult concept for the likes of some, but it's really beneficial to be able to use all of the controls on a gamepad. I don't understand why this has to be explained.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:23 AM #18
Originally posted by Antony:
What? The N64 controller is worthless. I cannot imagine any reason why anyone would possibly prefer it over the 360 or PS2 controller unless you have 3 arms.

HAHA Good point. I do think that the 360 one is the be all end all of controllers, but i still love playing with then the three pronged demon. Maybe we still love it simply for its nostalgic value.

As i said, i have that generic ps2 controller for my pc, and i have every zelda game and its emulator on my pc. Ocarina and Majoras Mask are just not the same. Its functional with the ps2 one), yes, but just not the same...
2011-10-02, 11:24 AM #19
I grew up with it, can navigate it just fine, prefer its ergonomics for anything not requiring two analog sticks, and its my personal preference. Nothing for you to understand just an opportunity for more personal attacks

[edit - It's called conversation. Stop that.]
2011-10-02, 11:30 AM #20
Just because it's your personal preference doesn't mean it makes any sense. And of course I'm the one making personal attacks. Unfortunately my schedule does not have any openings for choking on a dick, so I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Stop pretending to be some kind of victim.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:32 AM #21
Why would you prefer its ergonomics over the GC controller, though? The handles on the GC controller feel the same as the outer handles of the N64 controller, as do the D pad and, from what I recall, the action buttons and the sticks as well (or at least they didn't feel inferior in any way). A big difference is that the left stick is more accessible than the D pad, but that doesn't really hurt because the D pad is still perfectly reachable without spraining your thumb, and the stick is used over the D pad in most cases anyway.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2011-10-02, 11:33 AM #22
I remember when i was like 5, my uncle got a sega saturn, and an interesting controller, it took my a sec to find it on the internet, but here goes.

2011-10-02, 11:34 AM #23
That looks quite a bit like the Dreamcast controller, which, even though I "grew up with it" and "can navigate it just fine" is still an awful controller, regardless of how tainted my mind is by nostalgia.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:35 AM #24
yeah well that's just like, your opinion man and you're just a fat ****ing pervert who rapes little girls lolololololol all in good fun lolol amirite
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2011-10-02, 11:41 AM #25
I remember when i was like 5, my uncle got a sega saturn, and an interesting controller, it took my a sec to find it on the internet, but here goes.

ah yes the "3d controller" ... i still don't have one for my saturn
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-10-02, 11:43 AM #26
Yeah Zully, you can personally insult people as much as you want, but as long as you say it's all in good fun, it's ok. See, I'll show you:

Darth_Xasthur is hideously ugly, has a horrible beard, has the spelling skills of a Orangutan, thinks cliche albums are the greatest ever, and has a generally pointless existence.

x25064 is generally an idiot. His views on politics, music, and pretty much everything else are completely worthless, and he seems dead set on simply instigating flame wars with people and then blaming them.

lolololololololol jk i'm just being funny that's how i relate to people i like lolol kthxbye.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:44 AM #27
That looks quite a bit like the Dreamcast controller, which, even though I "grew up with it" and "can navigate it just fine" is still an awful controller, regardless of how tainted my mind is by nostalgia.

Again, another **** I don't give. Nor do I give a **** about what you think makes sense or not. Please go die in a fire already.
2011-10-02, 11:46 AM #28
Darth_Xasthur is hideously ugly, has a horrible beard, has the spelling skills of a Orangutan, thinks cliche albums are the greatest ever, and has a generally pointless existence.

I cannot tell a lie, you got the first 3 outta five....

I guess the latter is debatable...

:nonono:
2011-10-02, 11:47 AM #29
I don't understand why you keep telling me to do things like choke on a dick and die in a fire. These are things that no one would do deliberately. It doesn't make any sense. Then again, by that measure, it fits with everything else you post.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 11:55 AM #30
god the n64 controller is so bad
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-10-02, 11:57 AM #31
take your too cool for school persona and shove it, Mike!
2011-10-02, 12:02 PM #32
Im going to kidnap Antory, put him in a cage in my room, not feed him for a week, then play with my n64 controller in front of him for hours on end. Hell just sit there going insane, eventually talking out loud to himself. "Its so illogical, your only using 2/3 of the controller!!! 1.21 gigiwatts!!" Just talkin crazy talk. Then ill strangle him with the n64 controller cord while x5whatever puts the dick he wants you to suck sssoooo baldy in your mouth. What a climatic finish. For the both of you.
2011-10-02, 12:04 PM #33
Oh cool. You're going to kidnap me, hold me hostage, starve me, kill me, and have x25064 orally rape my dead corpse.

Riveting tale, chap.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 12:04 PM #34
I,m using punctuation. even though I Don't know, what they're purpose; is"
2011-10-02, 12:07 PM #35
Oh cool. You're going to kidnap me, hold me hostage, starve me, kill me, and have x25064 orally rape my dead corpse.

Riveting tale, chap.

Or you could just let us revel in the glory of our personal choice for now. Its your choice.
2011-10-02, 12:08 PM #36
If you revel in the glory of using a Nintendo 64 controller, there is much more wrong with you than I initially thought.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 12:10 PM #37
Well that's just like your opinion man
2011-10-02, 12:34 PM #38
Gamepads are serious business.
2011-10-02, 12:34 PM #39
In case you haven't noticed, I take everything VERY seriously.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 2:22 PM #40
Powerglove > all.

↑ Up to the top!