Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Android users
Android users
2011-10-20, 8:37 PM #1
For the past year, at very minimum, I download two pdf files per week for work, from email using gmail.

Phone is starting to get low in memory....buuuuut ...deleting these files is proving hard.

Um....so, yea, who here knows how to delete said files without 3rd party app?
2011-10-20, 8:51 PM #2
Plug it into your computer and it should act like a USB drive right?
Also android is garbage, abandon that ship as soon as you can.
2011-10-20, 9:09 PM #3
Originally posted by Tibby:
Plug it into your computer and it should act like a USB drive right?

Tibby is both right and wrong in one post. :neckbeard:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-10-20, 9:18 PM #4

- Respect.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-10-20, 9:20 PM #5

Oh please enlighten us almighty Tibby, why is android garbage?
2011-10-20, 10:17 PM #6
Well let's see, by the end of the year phones will be rolling out with 2.2, 3.0, and 4.0, with absolutely no promises that earlier versioned phones will get upgraded.
Said phones have dozens of different hardware configs, screen sizes, and pre-packaged apps, and may or may not be supported past a certain point, the 3GS is still supported on iOS5 while my HTC Hero (which I hate) is stuck on android 2.2.
Google has also admitted openly in press releases that 3.0 was garbage and meant as a stopgap for 4.0 (because people were putting 2.2 on tablets when it had no reason to go there, but android devs don't give a flying about usability), but again no promises your crap 3.0 device will ever see 4.0.
Not to mention the huge amount of bugs, the slowness even on super duper dual core phones, the terrible interface, and the fact that carriers get to force whatever **** they want onto the phone. Oh and the app store has horrible quality control that lets crap and virus covered apps through.
Still not as bad as Blackberry though, can't wait to ditch this POS for a 4S. Or atleast a Windows Mobile 7.5 phone.
In closing: Sell RIM stock, MS stock, and Google stock, and buy a 4S with the money.
[http://i.imgur.com/WVWHv.jpg]
look at the size of that goddamn phone jesus
and it has two clocks on the screen.
2011-10-20, 10:56 PM #7
tibby... quit trying

as for the OP screw "without a third party app" get ES File Explorer.... best file manager on android

low on memory? aren't you saving th PDFs to an SD card? if not get one if so get a bigger one
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-10-20, 11:01 PM #8
Quit trying what, trying to stop people from making the mistake of getting a phone that's garbage?
No.
2011-10-20, 11:11 PM #9
Well let's see, by the end of the year phones will be rolling out with 2.2, 3.0, and 4.0, with absolutely no promises that earlier versioned phones will get upgraded.

There has never been a single Android phone made by a normal carrier (Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericson, etc.) that has missed all software updates. Since you seem to want to mention iPhone, iOS 5 doesn't really support old phones either. 2G/3G are out entirely, 3GS is horribly gimped, and even 4 doesn't get a couple features (namely Siri).

Phones are shipping with 2.3 for the most part, unless you're getting an extremely old/extremely cheap phone running 2.2. 3.0 is not a phone version of Android, no phone runs it. 4.0 isn't even OUT yet, and when it IS out, it will only be on the Galaxy Nexus this year.

Quote:
Said phones have dozens of different hardware configs, screen sizes, and pre-packaged apps, and may or may not be supported past a certain point, the 3GS is still supported on iOS5 while my HTC Hero (which I hate) is stuck on android 2.2.

Your HTC Hero wouldn't gain a thing from 2.3. Cyanogen has a hacked version for it, and it's not even worth the time. It's what, 3 years old now? Christ sake, move on. The 3GS runs like crap on iOS5 as well, and as I mentioned above, misses tons of features. Would it make you happy if HTC gave you Android 4.0, but removed 90% of what makes it Android 4.0? No, of course you wouldn't, because that's little more than a lie. Also, the 3GS at least has the benefit of having a newer processor. The HTC Hero actually is hardware equals with the iPhone 3G, aka, close to four years old.

Quote:
Google has also admitted openly in press releases that 3.0 was garbage and meant as a stopgap for 4.0 (because people were putting 2.2 on tablets when it had no reason to go there, but android devs don't give a flying about usability), but again no promises your crap 3.0 device will ever see 4.0.

No, they never admitted such a thing. It WAS meant to help tablets get moving, since yes putting 2.3 on a tablet is dumb. However, Google HAS announced that as far as Android is concerned, any device running 2.3 or above is capable of running 4.0.

Quote:
Not to mention the huge amount of bugs, the slowness even on super duper dual core phones, the terrible interface, and the fact that carriers get to force whatever **** they want onto the phone. Oh and the app store has horrible quality control that lets crap and virus covered apps through.

Huge amount, not really. And new phones actually keep damn good pace. No, it's not iPhone fluid, but it's not slow as **** as your Hero probably is. Your Hero sucks, stop blaming Android. Also, oh no, carriers stick crap on the phone you don't want! It's not like Apple does this themselves, cramming Newstand, iMessage, Reminders, and all sorts of other crap I'll never use on me.
Quote:
Still not as bad as Blackberry though, can't wait to ditch this POS for a 4S. Or atleast a Windows Mobile 7.5 phone.
In closing: Sell RIM stock, MS stock, and Google stock, and buy a 4S with the money.
look at the size of that goddamn phone jesus
and it has two clocks on the screen.

OH GOD, THERE'S A WIDGET WITH A CLOCK ON THERE! Who cares? That's Android, if you don't like it, change it. You know this very well.

Finally, I find it amusing you're flying right into an iPhone4S. Almost every complaint about Android is valid for iPhone, and you think iPhone is perfect? Hate to break it to you, it isn't. iOS has plenty of flaws under its belt. Apps crashing, crappy app store quality control, absolutely horrendous lockdown of the system (seriously, still no file management whatsoever), etc. Multitasking is a joke, the screen is tiny (Yeah, I went there), etc.

Seriously, what is the problem with a larger screen? If it fits in your pocket, what is the problem? This is something even iPhone-friendly reviewers have been discovering lately. No, you do not need some 5" beast, but Android has OPTIONS. The additional screen size makes things easier to read, it makes it far easier to type, etc. In addition, almost every Android phone isn't made out of front-to-back glass, just asking for it to be shattered.

Frankly, your ENTIRE argument was boiled down to three things:

1. Your outdated piece of crap HTC Hero is an outdated piece of crap. Welcome to technology, your iPhone will be irrelevant next year.
2. Android OS versions are non-consistent. This would probably be a critical thing if we were all still waiting on Froyo. But I dare you to name one single improvement in Gingerbread without Googling. Even still, almost every phone you can buy is running 2.3, which is the latest released version. 4.0 is coming out soon, and if you are worried about it being outdated so easily, get a frickin' Nexus phone of some sort.
3. Android has MASSIVE SCREENS and DOUBLE CLOCKS! Seriously? I can't fathom that this is actually a problem for you.
2011-10-20, 11:23 PM #10
Quit trying what, trying to stop people from making the mistake of getting a phone that's garbage?
No.

quit trying to act like you know everything when in reality you're ****ing retarded

wait... that isn't fair to retards
2011-10-20, 11:28 PM #11
Yeah, he could have made a well structured, sound argument against Android. But he mentions UI only in passing, as if he actually understands what that means, and instead moves on to making a bunch of dubious points loosely based on something he probably read in a forum.
2011-10-20, 11:32 PM #12
Well, I don't think "Tibby being retarded" has been news in years.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-10-20, 11:33 PM #13
Get back in your cage, FGR....
>>untie shoes
2011-10-20, 11:34 PM #14
k
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-10-21, 4:01 AM #15
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
tibby... quit trying

as for the OP screw "without a third party app" get ES File Explorer.... best file manager on android

low on memory? aren't you saving th PDFs to an SD card? if not get one if so get a bigger one

Great app....thanks for the tip.

And between pics, videos, apps, games, yes, about a gig Worth of pdf files makes me low on memory. 4gb sd, and whatever my internal is
2011-10-21, 9:05 AM #16
also if your internal memory is running low you may want to check app cache... especially browser and market
2011-10-21, 9:42 AM #17
As much as I hate to admit it, CM is correct.

:suicide:
nope.
2011-10-21, 10:01 AM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
As much as I hate to admit it, CM is correct.

:suicide:

[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41063/Etc/emot-slick.gif]
2011-10-21, 10:09 AM #19
My phones as old as the 3GS, yet the 3GS is still fully supported by apple and even got iOS5. Meanwhile my hero runs Android 2.1, barely.
But okay go ahead and defend android as the holy grail of phone OS, I'll just sit here and laff.
2011-10-21, 10:15 AM #20
My phones as old as the 3GS, yet the 3GS is still fully supported by apple and even got iOS5. Meanwhile my hero runs Android 2.1, barely.
But okay go ahead and defend android as the holy grail of phone OS, I'll just sit here and laff.

Oh for christ sake Tibby, I just went over this.

1. The HTC Hero has a CPU comparable to the iPhone 3G, not the 3GS. It doesn't matter when the phone came out, this is about the damn hardware.
2. iOS5 BARELY runs on the 3GS.
3. Why the hell would you care? It's not like the 3GS even benefits greatly from it in the first place. They claim it runs iOS5, but it's really like iOS 4 1/2. A huge number of features simply don't work on the 3GS, completely disabled. Why you think this is a good thing boggles my mind.
2011-10-21, 10:24 AM #21

Even if you had a valid arguement this would have invalidated it so it's a good thing it was already stupid.
2011-10-21, 10:39 AM #22
Is this really "my phone came out at the same time as something else and that something else can run something else so my phone should be able to run this" the argument you are going for?

I hate to even remotely sound like Herman Cain right now, but you're comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended).
>>untie shoes
2011-10-21, 10:45 AM #23
? :)
2011-10-21, 11:18 AM #24
No, CM said a new iPhone would be irrellevant (unsupported?) in a year, and I pointed out that the 3GS is still supported (almost 3 years) while my android hero (almost 3 years) is totally unsupported.
2011-10-21, 11:32 AM #25
Hoo yall callin' wit all deez fones, nehow?
? :)
2011-10-21, 11:32 AM #26
Irrelevant and unsupported are not the same thing. The HTC Thunderbolt I bought in March is irrelevant, but not unsupported. Your Hero is irrelevant and unsupported. The 3GS is irrelevant, but still supported.

I'm glad I could help out with this.
>>untie shoes
2011-10-21, 11:36 AM #27
Just wanted to point out you guys kind of have a skewed view of time when it comes to these phones. I noticed because my 2-year contract (after purchasing the Droid 1 a month after release) is ending in November. So yeah, the Verizon Droid (and the HTC Hero) came out almost exactly 2 years ago.
2011-10-21, 11:36 AM #28
3GS is BARELY supported but there are only 5 models of iPhone and only 3 of those (3GS included) are still available
Hero not supported because there are dozens of other HTC phones and unless i'm mistaken the Hero is a discontinued model

HTC isn't going to waste time and money to update the Hero when they have dozens of newer models that are still available to roll out updates for
2011-10-21, 12:22 PM #29
No, CM said a new iPhone would be irrellevant (unsupported?) in a year, and I pointed out that the 3GS is still supported (almost 3 years) while my android hero (almost 3 years) is totally unsupported.

A new iPhone WILL be irrelevant in a year. The 3GS isn't supported. How the hell can you call iOS5 on the 3GS supported? Are you high? If HTC released an android update that did nothing but change the version number, would you consider that support? Cause that's damn close to what Apple does.
2011-10-21, 2:49 PM #30
CM7 runs great on my eris! better than Froyo, and waaay better than eclair. the Eris' hardware is almost identical to the hero. Advice Tibby: Root that mother****er and run something better.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-10-22, 7:07 AM #31
CM, which iOS5 features apart from Siri don't work on the 3GS? I'm curious.
2011-10-22, 7:57 AM #32
I'd agree with Tibby on the "carriers getting to force whatever they want" on Android phones, but that's really the carriers stupidity.
2011-10-22, 9:07 AM #33
and all that bloatware can be removed after rooting
2011-10-22, 11:21 AM #34
Originally posted by Ford:
CM7 runs great on my eris! better than Froyo, and waaay better than eclair. the Eris' hardware is almost identical to the hero. Advice Tibby: Root that mother****er and run something better.

This man speaks truth. Having a slow go at stock rom when you're model i discontinued? Root. Root the ****er. It breathes new life into aging phones. Hero/Eris has a large dev community with many options and opportunities for a better version of your phone.

Right now, especially with phones, we're seeing fast constant updates because that is where technology development is right now. Older phones are largely ignored by their makers because they can put money into giving you a better device sooner. Android isn't the be-all OS, nor is Apple the be-all creator for all things technology. I prefer Android systems, and HTC especially, because they go and say, Here the hardware, heres the software, we know you don't want the stock stuff always but they carrier wants it their way so we don't mind what you do with it. But I look at Apple and all I see is limitations on what You the consumer get to do with the product you bought. How often do they kill jailbreaking and the iOS custom devs have to sludge through making that possible again? I've never been interested in an iPhone because I really hate having my list of apps as the only thing I see. Widgets are wonderful. I can change songs while I read tweets and have the box score for a baseball game on one screen without opening any other programs? And thank god I don't have to use a notification system like iOS does. I like being able to ignore that little icon in the corner saying I have a message. I don't want to be told right away that I have 4 new messages from Steve and then I have to confirm that Yes. Yes I know I have messages, I'll go check those. Nope. Those little bastards are getting ignored. Boom. Cleared notifications. On with my day.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-10-23, 1:29 AM #35
iOS 5 notifications are MUUUUUCH better now, genk. All configuarble, all ignorable if you want. Which is how I have it. Better yet, you can remove the annoying badges from apps - so I can see in my notifications that I have something to check on, say G+, but the app doesn't have that GUILT INDUCING red disc with numbers on it just willing me to check it. Which is handy, because the G+ app in particular likes to remind me over again for the same notificaction.

It's much better for my OCD now <_<
2011-10-23, 1:39 AM #36
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
and all that bloatware can be removed after rooting

I have to remove the OS that came with my phone and replace it with another, potentially far less stable version, in order to fully use my phone.
wow
2011-10-23, 2:49 AM #37
I have to remove the OS that came with my phone and replace it with another, potentially far less stable version, in order to fully use my phone.
wow

You're blaming all android phones for something some of the carriers are doing.
wow
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-10-23, 2:53 AM #38

I had a pretty long, drawn out response to the 'Android is garbage' and Tibby's last post, but it wouldn't do any good.

In response to the OP, if you really don't want to get a third party app then your best bet is to plug the phone into your computer, or even get a card reader for your SD card and put that in your computer. It would act just like a usb drive.
2011-10-23, 7:41 AM #39
wow

I have to remove the engine that came with my 1986 Geo Metro with 300k miles, and replace it with another, potentially far less reliable version, in order to fully use my car.
wow.

Of course, that's just icing on top of the fact that you think your phone is not fully usable. It still has all the functionality it had when you bought it, and more. You have literally nothing to complain about. Your entire argument rides on the concept that you think your phone should last longer than smartphones actually last. If that's a problem for you, don't buy a goddamn smartphone.
2011-10-23, 10:01 AM #40
wow

thanks for helping my arguement that you're full retard

you don't need to flash a rom to remove bloatware you can use something like titanium backup to freeze and uninstall those apps that you normally can't

↑ Up to the top!