Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Say It Aint So: Censoring the Internet (SOPA & PIPA)
Say It Aint So: Censoring the Internet (SOPA & PIPA)
2012-01-20, 6:28 PM #41
CAN'T STOP THE SIG-
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-01-21, 3:44 AM #42
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Postponed != dead. Far from it.

Ha. In politics, postponed often DOES equal dead. Look at how many decades they've put off fixing Social Security. :colbert:
2012-01-21, 5:04 AM #43
It's postponed indefinitely. In politics, that means dead.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-21, 5:12 AM #44
Except that fixing social security does nothing to help the people padding the pockets of the politicians behind these bills. This is going to be rewritten (without changing much) and they'll try to force it through the next time.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-01-21, 9:59 AM #45
as has already been pointed out the tech companies are probably doing just as much if not more pocket lining. Vetoing this is a win win. (if it ever got to the presidents desk)
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-01-21, 10:03 AM #46
Originally posted by Antony:
It's postponed indefinitely. In politics, that means dead.

No, it only means that if they actually wanted said bill dead.
2012-01-21, 10:18 AM #47
So I mean it looks like the feds do what they want anyway after shutting down Megaupload.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2012-01-21, 10:21 AM #48
Whenever I check Massassi recently I've had the Blink 182 song forcefully inserted into my brain by this thread title. Thank you, 90s. Nuh-nuh nuh-nah nah-nah-nah-nah nuh-nuh nuh-nuh nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-21, 10:39 AM #49
I was at the protest in NYC. You're welcome
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2012-01-21, 10:53 AM #50
Originally posted by mb:
I was at the protest in NYC. You're welcome

You're just bitter because everyone talked about Wikipedia's blackout and not your protest :P
2012-01-21, 10:54 AM #51
Right, totally bitter!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2012-01-21, 1:24 PM #52
Originally posted by zanardi:
So I mean it looks like the feds do what they want anyway after shutting down Megaupload.

Yeah, what's that all about?
2012-01-21, 1:30 PM #53
Megaupload always claimed that they responded quickly to DMCA takedown notices, but I had to send them one once and they didn't do ****. **** Megaupload and **** that fat kraut. The only suspicious thing here is that the US government waited until Megaupload sued UMG before they did anything.
2012-01-22, 3:10 PM #54
HMM, Megaupload suddenly decided to drop its case against UMG. HOW STRANGE.

If I didn't know better I would think the United States government works for the media companies.
2012-01-22, 3:29 PM #55
One thing that is more than a little worrisome is:
Quote:
After Mega’s recently appointed chief executive officer and hip hop producer Swizz Beatz assembled a team of celebrities including Kanye West, Will.i.am, Alicia Keyes and others to appear in a promotional video for the company, Universal issued a takedown notice to YouTube. Despite not owning the rights to the song, YouTube nonetheless removed the video, sparking a lawsuit from Mega.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-01-22, 3:42 PM #56
Also... Anyone know anything about this??
http://keepthewebopen.com/
Online Protection & ENforcement of Digital Trade Act
2012-01-22, 3:51 PM #57
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
One thing that is more than a little worrisome is:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Megaupload makes a promotional music video.
UMG fraudulently claims to hold copyright over the video.
Megaupload sues UMG over this claim.
United States government orders the arrests of absolutely everybody who works for Megaupload, even graphic designers.
Megaupload drops their lawsuit after being arrested and threatened by United States government.

Fun fact: Megaupload was going to launch a legal free music distribution service in February. It was going to be ad-financed, and the performers were going to get 90% of the advertising revenue. They already had a lineup including the artists who were in the promotional video. Don't feel like running the numbers, but it seems to me that a 90% ad cut is probably still a better deal than the 4% they get from iTunes.

Since we already know that the US government is willing to sacrifice the economic stability of the whole world to protect the entertainment industry I really don't think it's a stretch that they would attack Megaupload before they could introduce a form of music publishing that doesn't screw over the artists.
2012-01-22, 4:04 PM #58
Wow. :eek:
2012-01-22, 6:41 PM #59
I'm just going to leave this here...

My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2012-01-22, 7:55 PM #60
What about the fact that the case against MegaUpload has been in the works for two years now, and one of the head honchos is basically insane?
2012-01-22, 8:35 PM #61
Oh sure, and Megaupload just decided after being shut down that UMG is a good guy and doesn't deserve to get sued.

Like I said, I'm glad Megaupload is dead and I hope Kim Jong-Kom joins it there. The timing of everything is just so incredible.
2012-01-23, 3:18 PM #62
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Megaupload makes a promotional music video.
UMG fraudulently claims to hold copyright over the video.
Megaupload sues UMG over this claim.
United States government orders the arrests of absolutely everybody who works for Megaupload, even graphic designers.
Megaupload drops their lawsuit after being arrested and threatened by United States government.

Fun fact: Megaupload was going to launch a legal free music distribution service in February. It was going to be ad-financed, and the performers were going to get 90% of the advertising revenue. They already had a lineup including the artists who were in the promotional video. Don't feel like running the numbers, but it seems to me that a 90% ad cut is probably still a better deal than the 4% they get from iTunes.

Since we already know that the US government is willing to sacrifice the economic stability of the whole world to protect the entertainment industry I really don't think it's a stretch that they would attack Megaupload before they could introduce a form of music publishing that doesn't screw over the artists.

I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TINFOIL FOR THIS.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2012-01-23, 3:32 PM #63
Check out the founder of Megaupload's house:

2012-01-23, 4:17 PM #64
oh **** thanks for posting that image, I've been lost in this goddamn maze for hours.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-01-23, 5:01 PM #65
I like Megaupload. :(
2012-01-23, 6:22 PM #66
Originally posted by Commander 598:
I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TINFOIL FOR THIS.
Less than a week ago your government overwhelmingly supported a bundle of legislation, literally written by the major media companies, which would have effectively forbidden non-cartel participants from the range of content industries. And you think it's incredible that the US government would harass one business because the media companies asked for it?

durr.
2012-01-23, 7:13 PM #67
COME ON GUYS

LET THE INFORMATIONS BE FREEEEEEEEEEEE :saddowns:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-01-23, 7:18 PM #68
Don't worry, the internet giants are starting to learn how to lobby. Once Google buys the government we won't have this problem. (We'll have other equally terrible problems, but not this specific one.)
2012-01-23, 7:42 PM #69
Less than a week ago your government overwhelmingly supported a bundle of legislation, literally written by the major media companies, which would have effectively forbidden non-cartel participants from the range of content industries. And you think it's incredible that the US government would harass one business because the media companies asked for it?

durr.

Incredible or not it's still a conspiracy.
2012-01-23, 7:44 PM #70
You mean a theory.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-01-23, 8:39 PM #71
no they are actually doing it.
2012-01-23, 8:41 PM #72
Where is JC Denton when you need him
2012-01-24, 6:59 AM #73
Fun fact: Megaupload was going to launch a legal free music distribution service in February.

Was? I've read that it IS happening still.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak"
2012-01-24, 7:15 AM #74
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

Also in regards to censoring media:

[http://i.imgur.com/XjZQj.jpg]
<Rob> This is internet.
2012-01-24, 7:45 AM #75
lol. "V for Vendetta" is not the kind of "advocating or urging treason or insurrection" that they are referring to, obviously. Come on.
2012-01-24, 9:22 AM #76
You'll have to keep fighting this **** until you fix the root cause.

You have unleashed powerful entities into the wild whose sole purpose is to gobble up money wherever it is to be found.

You're wasting your time fighting bills like these. Fix the real problem.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-01-24, 10:05 AM #77
Count me in for the TINFOIL PARTAY.

Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-01-24, 11:41 AM #78
Originally posted by Freelancer:
You'll have to keep fighting this **** until you fix the root cause.

You have unleashed powerful entities into the wild whose sole purpose is to gobble up money wherever it is to be found.

You're wasting your time fighting bills like these. Fix the real problem.

your absolutely right! we need to make sure that senators and congressmen/women are no longer allowed to take bribe money! ...er...wait where was it exactly you were headed???
2012-01-24, 1:09 PM #79
Originally posted by saberopus:
lol. "V for Vendetta" is not the kind of "advocating or urging treason or insurrection" that they are referring to, obviously. Come on.

Well, neither are recordings of foreign OWS protests.
<Rob> This is internet.
2012-01-24, 1:27 PM #80
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
your absolutely right! we need to make sure that senators and congressmen/women are no longer allowed to take bribe money! ...er...wait where was it exactly you were headed???

Media companies will make more money if they get legislation like SOPA passed. I'm saying that corporations have an errant drive to find money even if it goes against what is best for humans. I'm saying we need to rethink the structure of our society so that we do not have these runaway non-human organizations with entirely too much power getting their way over individual humans.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!