Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Redlettermedia update, plinkett episode 1 commentary track.
Redlettermedia update, plinkett episode 1 commentary track.
2012-02-10, 11:35 AM #1
Sold, sold so hard.
http://redlettermedia.com/phantom-phriday-mr-plinketts-phantom-menace-commentary-track/

Enjoy.
2012-02-10, 12:38 PM #2
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5357-The-Phantom-Menace-13-Years-Later

Seriously. Stop with the hate.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 12:42 PM #3
Nah hating it is fun.
2012-02-10, 12:50 PM #4
I'm sorta glad that my brain is too stupid to tolerate 3D effects for any length of time, gives me an excuse not to go see it.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-10, 1:19 PM #5
Originally posted by Tibby:
Nah hating it is fun.

"Never hate a movie."
-Quentin Tarantino

That man speaks the truth.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 1:25 PM #6
Okay fine, "making fun of the things that it did wrong, or I find funny" is fun.
2012-02-10, 1:37 PM #7
It's also fun to watch movies and enjoy the things they do right.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 1:40 PM #8
Originally posted by Antony:
"Never hate a movie."
-Quentin Tarantino

I can see why that's a good policy for him, but it's my body I'll do what I want, 'tony!
2012-02-10, 4:56 PM #9

if i could go to a reduced cost theater showing that skips to the podrace and the darth maul fight (with the all the anakin in space bits removed) i can enjoy the things they did right (yes i know i generally hate on the prequel saber battles but the darth maul fight has something special about the overchoreographed fight)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-02-10, 5:08 PM #10
"Never hate a movie."
-Quentin Tarantino

That man speaks gibberish.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-02-10, 6:04 PM #11

Some movies just suck.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-02-10, 6:55 PM #12
I agree with Antony who I believe is some type of magical space army man.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-02-10, 6:58 PM #13
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Some movies just suck.

Every movie does something well.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 7:01 PM #14

GEEEEOOOONNN WIIIILLLUUUMMMSSS
2012-02-10, 7:18 PM #15

Some movies suck.
2012-02-10, 8:56 PM #16

Have you not ... seen... Mystery Science Theater 3000?
2012-02-10, 9:22 PM #17
Yeah, Cool Matty, because everyone considers the movies on MST3K when talking about actual movies.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 11:58 PM #18
His point was the MST3K movies are on the same level as the prequels.
2012-02-11, 11:18 AM #19
lol, tibby. that is ridiculous. the prequels are not that bad, honestly i rather enjoy them. Granted there are some glaring examples of YICK in them... Anakin is consistently poorly acted with the exception of non speaking parts, Jar Jar, and really the entire Gungan species are quite possibly the most annoying concept ever thought up, and there are some loopholes in the story, but there is a LOT that the movies do right.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-02-11, 11:24 AM #20
I listened to a little bit of this commentary, and it really sucks. Nowhere near as entertaining as the reviews. Seems pretty clearly improvised, which is fine, but there's none of the structured criticism of the videos, just idle nagging. That's ok, but it's not entertaining.
2012-02-11, 1:43 PM #21
wow...WOW, i just wasted a little over ten minutes listening to that guys done on about how horrible this movie is for no reason other than because he says so... i want my money back.

ok... 17 minutes in now and he has made one, that's right ONE... moderately interesting point.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-02-11, 2:56 PM #22
Originally posted by Tibby:
His point was the MST3K movies are on the same level as the prequels.

Not even close.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-11, 4:23 PM #23
The first three movies were just as bad as the prequels FYI. The only thing that changed is us.
2012-02-11, 5:06 PM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The first three movies were just as bad as the prequels FYI. The only thing that changed is us.

I'm not 100% convinced about this, but I'm willing to accept nostalgia plays into it a little. There are Movies and TV shows that I remember enjoying watching as kid that find unwatchable now but I don't get that experience from Star Wars movies, I still find them enjoyable.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-11, 8:17 PM #25

An interesting idea, don't really agree though but I'de like to hear more if you want to elaborate I've never heard anyone take this position.

Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm not 100% convinced about this, but I'm willing to accept nostalgia plays into it a little. There are Movies and TV shows that I remember enjoying watching as kid that find unwatchable now but I don't get that experience from Star Wars movies, I still find them enjoyable.

I agree with EAH_TRISCUT on his entire post

I just came back from TPM in 3D, to be honest the amazement of 3D wears off by the time the previews end, and a lot of the shots looked ****ty like the end lightsaber battle the colors were off and a sunset scene on Coruscant looked awful just a bunch of random colors everywhere, it looked like my monitor when its half unplugged

I hadn't seen it in at least 5-6 years or so, and to be honest I was bored, almost nobody was there, maybe only 30/400 people on a saturday evening/night, some people even got up and left halfway through
2012-02-11, 8:51 PM #26
I'm guessing this movie was a litmus test to see if fans would see the OT in 3D as well?

If the movie wasn't shot from the ground up to be 3D, what's the point of watching it? I mean, have there been decent, non-headache-inducing "conversions"? I stress the non-headache-inducing part.
2012-02-11, 8:59 PM #27

I still contend that The Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately great movie, but the rest of them are pretty much equally mediocre.

Also, hey, look, it's another guy who thinks people should stop whining about Star Wars: http://collider.com/star-wars-fanboys-calm-down-editorial/144321/
>>untie shoes
2012-02-11, 9:47 PM #28
I'm pretty sure a lot of the SW fans around here moved on and found a better genre. This is hardly a fanboy community anymore. But I'm getting thread deja vu everytime Lucas is mentioned.

Only thing I'm looking forward to (possibly) that is SW-related would be a new JK game or a cool Battlefront. But I hardly play games anymore. The whole appeal of Star Wars for me when I was a kid was to see "whats around the corner" in the SW universe, but now we are going to same place over and over again, that fascination is long gone. Not a problem, other media fills that gap.
2012-02-11, 9:58 PM #29
Forgot to mention, John Williams is always a treat, loved every second of the score tonight
2012-02-11, 10:28 PM #30
I'm pretty sure a lot of the SW fans around here moved on and found a better genre. This is hardly a fanboy community anymore. But I'm getting thread deja vu everytime Lucas is mentioned.

It gets annoying, doesn't it? People need to get over it. It's gotten worse since that Plinkett ******* started doing his stupid "reviews" of the movies. Now idiots who have nothing better to do than whine about how much they hate something can spout the same **** he whines about. It seems like the only one of those we have around here is Tibby, too. So here's a good idea for you, Tibby: If you really don't like Episode I, then don't watch it. I know this is a revolutionary line of thought for you, and it could potentially hurt you, but it's a valid option. Just don't watch the movie, and don't concern yourself with the ranting of a failed film maker who spends his time spouting vitriol about actual successful movies.

It's really easy to sit around and point out how crappy a movie is, and it's really hard to enjoy a movie for what it is. I make fun of Drkjedi82 for the terrible movies he buys, but at least he has the capacity to enjoy movies, which is an admirable trait. It's really a lot more fun to enjoy movies instead of hating on them and trying to make them out to be way worse than they actually are. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with why Jim despises Tibby, but if it doesn't, it ****ing should.

It's really hard to take the bad with the good when watching a movie. It's easy as hell to let a handful of things you really hate get in the way of the things you really enjoyed. I don't understand why people do this. They'll see a movie and briefly mention the things they liked, then launch into a diatribe about the **** that they didn't. It's weird that I'm the guy saying this, but some of you need to stop being so ****ing negative.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-11, 10:36 PM #31
Quote:
it's really hard to enjoy a movie for what it is.

No it isn't. That's why the movie industry is worth billions.
2012-02-11, 10:40 PM #32
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
No it isn't. That's why the movie industry is worth billions.

Allow me to rephrase: It's really hard for people who go out of their way to hate everything to enjoy something for what it is.

Not to mention, your statement is fundamentally wrong. For every movie that is wildly successful there are 1000 that go absolutely nowhere. I'll narrow that down to not include things like DTV release and extremely limited theatrical runs. So now we're talking about wide release movies that play in damned near every major theater in the world. For every one movie that is wildly successful, there are 10 that do jack **** at the box office and make no money. The movie industry is worth billions because of the occasional movie that does really well. If it wasn't for blockbusters, Hollywood would be bankrupt.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-12, 7:37 AM #33
If people are continuing to gripe and whine about the prequels because they've got an axe to grind, maybe you're continuing to read and post in this thread because you do too, Antony. I'm not expressing any support for endless prequel bashing, but if Tibby can "just not watch the movie" then you can just "not read threads about bashing the movie."

Or you can! That's fine. But don't get too angry! You'll blow a valve if you keep trying to convert some of those people :)
2012-02-12, 7:46 AM #34
Only thing I'm looking forward to (possibly) that is SW-related would be a new JK game or a cool Battlefront. But I hardly play games anymore. The whole appeal of Star Wars for me when I was a kid was to see "whats around the corner" in the SW universe, but now we are going to same place over and over again, that fascination is long gone. Not a problem, other media fills that gap.

I concur. Too bad SW got driven into the ground.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-02-12, 8:31 AM #35

The Battlefront games are so dissapointing compared to what they could be. Battlefront 2 shouldve been Battlefront 1, and the leaked footage of Battlefront 3 shouldve been the awesome sequel. They felt rushed, the AI was crap, the hero gameplay was weird and the movement sucked. The game had great ideas don't get me wrong but they just did not deliver. I love all the Jedi Knight games, and while I think the gameplay improved each time especially saber combat wise, the story began to worse each time culminating in Jedi Academy, great combat on terrible missions.

I'de ask for another space sim like X-Wing Alliance but I doubt anyone will make one

Now that SWTOR is done they will either now focus on other new games or just focus on expansion packs and patching that game. But who cares, I gave up on Star Wars games, in fact I think I'm going to reinstall the original Unreal Tournament, make a map called "CTF-1000REDEEMERSINASMALLBOX" and have some hardcore fun
2012-02-12, 9:00 AM #36
I really hope the 3D craze will soon be pushed back to Nazi Germany where it belongs.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-02-12, 10:48 AM #37
yeah, im really not impressed with 3D, i think avatar(as much as i really didnt care for the movie) was one of the only movies to do a good job with it. it seemed like it actually enhanced the film, somewhat, instead of feeling like a cheap "WHOA!!! that just popped out at me!" gimmick.
i think if 3D were used very subtly, or mainly in computer animated Disney cartoons then it would be fine.
2012-02-12, 2:28 PM #38
Not to mention, your statement is fundamentally wrong. For every movie that is wildly successful there are 1000 that go absolutely nowhere. I'll narrow that down to not include things like DTV release and extremely limited theatrical runs. So now we're talking about wide release movies that play in damned near every major theater in the world. For every one movie that is wildly successful, there are 10 that do jack **** at the box office and make no money. The movie industry is worth billions because of the occasional movie that does really well. If it wasn't for blockbusters, Hollywood would be bankrupt.

Source?

I'm under the impression that most movie are marginally, but not spectacularly successful. I would guess that if it takes a blockbuster to make any real profit, there would be a lot more innovation and risk taking.
2012-02-12, 3:15 PM #39
Look at box office numbers vs budgets. Budgets don't often include advertising cost, or the cost of prints either (and the cost is substantial). Most movies are absolutely not successful.

Here's a basic rundown for the movies at the top of the box office right now:

1. The Vow. Budget: ~30m. Total gross to date: 41.7m.

This is the movie's first weekend in theaters, and it's already made back the budget at then some. This will be considered a successful movie.

2. Safe House. Budget: ~85m. Total gross to date: 39m.

First weekend for this one, too, but the budget is obviously much higher. It didn't make nearly what it needed to considering it also had a massive ad campaign trying to capitalize on Denzel Washington starring in the movie. Time will tell, but it looks like it should at least make its cost back.

3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. Budget: ~79m. Total gross to date: 27m.

Being that this is a family film, at this time of year, we can expect the box office to drop significantly after the opening weekend. Might still make its money back, though.

4. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace in 3d. n/a.

We already know this movie has made assloads of money in theaters.

Those are the new movies out this weekend in wide release. Looks like they should all at least make back their budgets and maybe the advertising cost. The Vow will be considered a hit, but other than that, we're in solid flop territory this weekend.

Let's take a look at some of the other movies out right now that didn't do so well:

8. Big Miracle. Budget: ~40m. Total gross to date: 13.2 million.

Will not make the budget back. Studio lost significant money on this film

10. Underworld Awakening. Budget: ~70m. Total gross to date: 58m

Should eventually break even with dvd/blu sales.

11. Red Tails. Budget: ~58m. Total gross to date: 45m.

Should eventually break even with dvd/blu sales.

12. One For The Money. Budget: ~40m. Total gross to date: 23m.

Will not return on budget/ads. Big loss for studio.

16. Man on a Ledge. Budget: ~42m. Total gross to date: 17m.

Won't come close to making back budget or money spent on massive ad campaign. Huge loss for the studio.

Those are our flops right now. Universal is going to lose huge on Big Miracle and Safe House, but luckily Contraband did very well. Looks like they're going to lose about 20m on Big Miracle, but Contraband has profited over 30m, so it's no big deal. Ad costs included, they're breaking even right now at the box office.

Warner Bros only has 2 movies in the top 25 right now. Journey 2 will just about break even, but Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has flopped pretty badly. So it's hard to tell.

Fox is raking it in right now, with Star Wars, Chronicle, The Descendants, and Alvin and the Chipmunks all raking it in, while only taking losses on Red Tails.

Screen Gems is raking it in with The Vow, but taking a hosing on Underworld. Breaking even right now.

Paramount is kicking ass with Hugo and Mission Impossible being big hits, but Tin Tin wasn't what they thought it would be.

While Summit lost it's ass on Man on a Ledge, and The Darkest Hour, they're still pulling in cash from Twilight, so they'll be alright.

The movies in the top 25 that have actually made enough to justify their creation are as follows:

The Vow
Chronicle
The Grey
The Descendants
The Artist
Hugo
Contraband
The Iron Lady
Mission Impossible
Alvin and the Chipmunks
War Horse

That's eleven movies in the top 25 that either have made, or will make considerable profit.

Furthermore, like I said, these are only movies in wide release in the top 25. This does not count movies that didn't open in the top 25. There are dozens of independent films each week that go nowhere. They'll get a limited release in a few markets, but won't make enough to justify further release. Movies like Rampart, on the other hand, which was hailed as amazing by the film festival crowds, and has gotten a lot of praise from reviews. It made 65k this weekend, on a total of 5 screens. It's averaging around 13k per screen. It will get a wider and wider release and potentially end up being a big hit.

Not all movies do that, though. Most of them go nowhere. Keep an eye on the weekend charts. You'll see what I mean.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Granted, this is a very slow time of the year for movies, but without the summer movie season, hollywood wouldn't be able to make a profit anymore. There are entirely too many movies coming out each weekend for people to go see them all. It's far different than it was in the 1980s and prior, when movies would be run in theaters for months and months at a time. In today's world, a movie has to make a big lump sum of cash on opening weekend, otherwise it's going to be doomed. It's extremely rare for movies to continue to make decent money for an extended period of time. The only one's that have done it in the last two decades have been Avatar and Titanic. Not sure what James Cameron does to extend the life of his movies in theaters, but he's doing it right. Other than those two movies, you see dramatic drops in box office numbers after the first weekend, and the business will continue to drop rapidly, until the movie goes away, potentially to do well on dvd/blu.

In closing, when you actually pay attention to the business side of the film industry, you can start talking about how much money it makes. You're like the people who think that because Tom Brady makes 13 million a year, that all NFL players make that kind of money. Just because a lot of movies do very well, doesn't mean that the thousands of other ones released each year do too.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-12, 3:20 PM #40
Also, let's break down the way film distribution actually works. The theater playing the movie takes a small percentage of the ticket cost, while the distributor and production company take the rest. Sure, some movies have complicated contract deals where the cast and crew get percentages of the gross, but let's keep this simple. So to keep it simple, we'll call it a 50/50 split between the production company and the distributor after the exhibitor takes their 10% or so. So now, you start to see how that production company is making less and less profit on its investment of that budget.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!