Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Level Pack Contest 6 - JK Anniversary Edition (Prize Pool: $611.00)
Massassi Level Pack Contest 6 - JK Anniversary Edition (Prize Pool: $611.00)
2012-05-29, 11:59 AM #161
Haven't we had a bunch of mods/levels with copyrighted music/images for a few years now?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-29, 12:04 PM #162
Don't ask, don't tell.

You guys can circumvent ALL of this by just not telling anyone. CM only has to act if he knows about it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-05-29, 12:09 PM #163
He already said sneaking it in would be met with severe consequences.

Also, if using it in a video file is crossing the line, it might be good to note that any objects that are representative of cooywritten works that were not included in the original game assets are also infringement.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-05-29, 12:35 PM #164
I have no idea about visual art. I only know about music.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-05-29, 12:39 PM #165
Just to clarify: I do not intend to use it in a video myself. Then again, maybe I just misread the last few posts. [Edit]I did.[/Edit]
I'm saying that the content in question (Star Wars Theme) is already available on the JK CD - as part of the opening video.

If people play the level, then they MUST own the game (CD/Steam).
If they own the game then they MUST also own the intro video.
If that is the case, then going by the reasoning of the Massassi FAQ, using the audio from said intro video in a level should be legit.

Note that I'm not suggesting using just any version of the Star Wars Theme, but the exact audio contained on the Jedi Knight CD itself.

Originally posted by Emon:
Don't ask, don't tell.

This time people put money in, which greatly complicates matters. As a community, we should be 100% sure we're on the same page about the rules of this contest. I understand the ban on copyrighted material; we just have to be sure what constitutes as such and where the grey areas are.
* Elmo is Elmo
2012-05-29, 12:59 PM #166
i think everyone is just being alarmist
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-29, 3:57 PM #167
I thought I already explained if its on the JK CD it's fair game.
2012-05-29, 5:26 PM #168
Yeah but it's not on there as an audio track, just the music for the intro video. I don't see what the problem is though.. numerous submitted projects in the past contain Star Wars music that I'm pretty sure is not on the cd.
2012-05-30, 7:01 AM #169
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
Yeah but it's not on there as an audio track, just the music for the intro video. I don't see what the problem is though.. numerous submitted projects in the past contain Star Wars music that I'm pretty sure is not on the cd.

Because it's illegal?
2012-06-01, 9:24 AM #170
I might be willing to do some voice acting for some of the entries. PM me.
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2012-06-01, 2:16 PM #171
I just hope more levels are going to feature round Dark Forces-style elevators.

Like the first(?) released ones in TODOA TC MP!

[http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/screenshots/3122_2.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-06-01, 3:10 PM #172
Originally posted by Darth J:
My suggestion would be record the cutscene as a video using fraps and then convert it to the format Jk's cutscenes use. That way you are not including a music file in the release that infringes on the copyright.

There are two problems with that. One being that the old Smacker Tool is missing so we can't convert that. And two, according to Youtube, videos containing the slightest copyrighted material is banned in Germany (Star Wars Themes were banned world wide for a while).

Also, if using it in a video file is crossing the line, it might be good to note that any objects that are representative of cooywritten works that were not included in the original game assets are also infringement.

And so this discussion can go on forever until we all agree that if we want to be absolutely sure that we don't cross that line there should be no custom content. After all, in the eyes of the Dictators of Hollywood, everything is black, no grey areas.

Now, I may have said something that may have scared off this competition, so silly old me.
Or we could protest to the oppressive nature of these copyright laws and go nuts! As long as we keep it fair.

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2012-06-01, 3:26 PM #173
Fair use is inherently a gray area. You aren't going to completely resolve these issues without going to court. Just be reasonable about it. Since this is all not-for-profit work there is typically a fair amount of leeway. Using opening scene music for 30 seconds or a minute is reasonable grounds for fair use. All the existing fan art such as fan films provides a good basis for making that argument. I really wouldn't worry about it.
2012-06-02, 5:57 AM #174
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I just hope more levels are going to feature round Dark Forces-style elevators.

Like the first(?) released ones in TODOA TC MP!

[http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/screenshots/3122_2.jpg]

LESS BICKERING, MORE round elevators

https://vimeo.com/43301117
2012-06-02, 6:16 AM #175
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
LESS BICKERING, MORE round elevators

That's nice. Now post one where you didn't cheat by making it entirely out of 3dos. >_>
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-06-02, 9:41 AM #176
Turns out I always edited JK in a similar fashion to how one would edit a modern game -> creating an empty box with the game's own engine (sector/brush) and filling it with 3D models (3DO/static mesh)

If it works, it's proper.
2012-06-02, 10:01 AM #177
Mapping with just brushes forces so much creativity, Unreal 1 editing, thats what its about
2012-06-02, 11:38 AM #178
I wish I could agree with you, but the mere existence of BSP holes has eliminated any kind of desire for achieving creativity in UE1.5 for me. After all, in DX I manage to make a game that looked like this to look more like this. With JK, well, it's making a game like this look like... well.... Luckily it'll be over after DXN is completed!

Anyway, more rounded lifts plz
2012-06-02, 9:55 PM #179
My project is going to have a star destroyer in it so I'll definitely put some rounded lifts in there.. and I'll do it all out of architecture in JKEdit only using a 3do for the actual lift.
2012-06-07, 5:26 AM #180
Oh man I just noticed this.... not sure if I can participate but I'll try! :D
2012-06-07, 8:12 AM #181
There is no try, only do!

Sorry, so cheesy, but it had to be done.
2012-06-07, 8:34 AM #182
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
My project is going to have a star destroyer in it so I'll definitely put some rounded lifts in there.. and I'll do it all out of architecture in JKEdit only using a 3do for the actual lift.

your project? The Dark Tome? Yeah bro. Can't wait.
2012-06-07, 9:03 AM #183
Fastgammerr got the shaft. HE already created the best looking version of jk in todoa.

I guess this is just a good way to force creativity out of a dormant pc gaming franchise......
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-06-07, 2:11 PM #184
There's still new things that can be done :)
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-06-07, 2:17 PM #185
Originally posted by Goit:
There's still new things that can be done :)

Was that your convincing line to get anal
2012-06-07, 2:23 PM #186
I don't need a line. Your Mum's weird see - she only does anal
2012-06-07, 2:33 PM #187
so thats why she had diarrhea during my last visit
2012-06-07, 2:38 PM #188
She asked, I delivered.
2012-06-07, 2:38 PM #189
sorry :(

EDIT: Fastgamerr too? That's why then I guess. Her bowels aren't what they used to be.
2012-06-07, 4:37 PM #190
Originally posted by Couchman:
Was that your convincing line to get anal

One of the most outrageous things ive seen on massassi in a long time.

Keep it up.....

It almost makes me long for the old days. Is it just me or was there just an abundance of mudslinging on here? It may have been awhile ago but still, i remember.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-06-07, 5:24 PM #191
i just thought I could brighten everyones day up with anal intercourse jokes about my mother
2012-06-08, 9:03 AM #192
Originally posted by MrRavenX:
There is no try, only do!

Sorry, so cheesy, but it had to be done.

Do... or do not... there is no try.

Sorry lol the nerd in me was dying to correct that. XD

I'm gonna put some concepts together and see if I can come up with a good idea for my entry and if I have enough time to dedicate to it. It would be really refreshing to do something nostalgic like this again.
2012-06-16, 9:35 PM #193
Originally posted by Edward:
There are two problems with that. One being that the old Smacker Tool is missing so we can't convert that. And two, according to Youtube, videos containing the slightest copyrighted material is banned in Germany (Star Wars Themes were banned world wide for a while).

A good point. Thats why my original PotF trailer was banned in Europe, due to the EP3 music used.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2012-06-21, 2:33 AM #194
A lot of it is still there. Unfortunately, every 20 minutes or so I will try to do something and not be able to remember how to do it. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to rotate a sector.

Oh man...

You know, I used to play this when I was 12. I think I played it for 3 years....maybe more, till JO came out. Then, JA after that.

I used to make custom COG's, GOB's, and all that stuff....nostalgia to he max.

I wanted to also let you guys know, that this new thing came out recently that allows you to play games that were previously impossible to play online with without systems like MSN Gaming Zone (Remember that? ;D), and used only LAN or IP to connect.

It's here, called VOOBLY, and they even have a lobby JUST FOR JEDI KNIGHT: DF2....called....

Nar Shaddaa. >D

Get on it, guys...
2012-06-21, 6:47 AM #195
There's been several Gaming Zone replacements.
2012-07-19, 8:23 AM #196
Just over 2 months left folks. Don't wait until the last minute!
2012-07-19, 11:45 AM #197
I'm chipping away at mine... I hope to just keep things simple and get something roughly entertaining.
2012-08-19, 4:58 AM #198
Sorry for reviving the topic.
What about multiplayer match? Will happen?
If it happens I think we need to see how we do.

^^
2012-09-12, 6:51 PM #199
Originally posted by Kamon:
Sorry for reviving the topic.
What about multiplayer match? Will happen?
If it happens I think we need to see how we do.

^^

I will be hosting at lest one jedi knight game all day. Maps will rotate per requst.
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City

↑ Up to the top!