Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, Diablo III....
So, Diablo III....
2012-05-14, 6:20 AM #1
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've been waiting for this game for a while. I'm pre-downloading the game as I type this. Looks pretty good, I hope it does the Diablo series justice. The only downside I can really see is the need for constant internet connection. Means I can't play this at work on my laptop at lunch. Oh well.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2012-05-14, 6:58 AM #2
I played the beta a few weeks back, enjoyed it a lot even though I never really got into Diablo II, I may pick it up.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2012-05-14, 7:22 AM #3
cant run it, going to play torchlight 2 instead, itll probably be less addicting too
2012-05-14, 7:36 AM #4
Never played any of the Diablo games, always thought Diablo 1 was a mixture of MDK and Dungeon Keeper.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-05-14, 7:38 AM #5
Originally posted by Couchman:
cant run it, going to play torchlight 2 instead, itll probably be less addicting too

You can't... run it? What? Is your PC like 8 years old or something?
2012-05-14, 7:48 AM #6
Combat in Diablo 3 is very explosive and has a lot of impact. Its definately a fun game, but I just can't get behind the new art direction. The cartoony style fit Warcraft fine, but I always felt the diablo had a more realistic appearance. Dark, greedy, lifelike proportions, textures and environment. It felt dark, creepy, terrifying.

After playing through the beta, I find that sentiment is completely lost. The new artstyle striped the game of any gritty, scary emotions.

And christ do I hate the Witch Doctor.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-05-14, 8:27 AM #7
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You can't... run it? What? Is your PC like 8 years old or something?

dell latitude e6400 with a ****ty integrated graphics card. I could run skyrim in windowed mode at everything at the lowest lol, but looking at the requirements I doubt I could run it unless there are a lot of graphics options that allow me to turn everything low/off

plus this model is faulty and overheats all the time for reasons that are beyond me, something to do with how the temperature control talks to the fans and all that, so i need to blow out my fan very often so my processor doesnt downclock to 1/4 its capabilities every other minute
2012-05-14, 8:51 AM #8
Ah, so a 4 year old laptop running an Intel GMA chip. Yep, you're screwed. And that's saying a lot, because Blizzard games are incredibly forgiving on ancient hardware.
2012-05-14, 8:53 AM #9
I've a 7 year old PC (though with a new GFX) and can run everything from Deus Ex 3 to Skyrim on high settings without a hitch. So proud. :) I never liked Diablo II, though, so not sure I'll be giving this one a try. From what I remember, the gameplay consisted of constantly clicking the left mouse button. Click, click, click, click, click, repeat. Meh.
幻術
2012-05-14, 9:44 AM #10
Originally posted by Koobie:
I've a 7 year old PC (though with a new GFX) and can run everything from Deus Ex 3 to Skyrim on high settings without a hitch. So proud. :) I never liked Diablo II, though, so not sure I'll be giving this one a try. From what I remember, the gameplay consisted of constantly clicking the left mouse button. Click, click, click, click, click, repeat. Meh.

Its mostly the same, except you now have right clicks and a few hotkey abilities ( 1-4). Its mostly more of the same with a new coat and story, but the combat does feel better because they've given every move a lot of umpf. With a barbarian, you literaly knock **** around the screen, thanks to the physics system.
2012-05-14, 11:52 AM #11
The skill system is vastly different now (in progression). Crafting seems to be radically different as well. And most importantly, the quest system is much, much more in depth and the story is much larger. I don't know if there's many gigantic open areas as I didn't see any in my beta playthrough, but that might come later.
2012-05-14, 3:44 PM #12
I feel D3 is highly overhyped. It really isn't going to be that interesting of a game. It's typical dungeon crawler play with snazzy graphics. That's all. I'm actually a bit disappointed by it
2012-05-14, 4:30 PM #13
Have you played it yet? You say it "isn't going to be" and then you say you "are disappointed."
2012-05-14, 4:31 PM #14
Originally posted by saberopus:
Have you played it yet? You say it "isn't going to be" and then you say you "are disappointed."

yes, i've played it..
2012-05-14, 4:33 PM #15
Originally posted by Jep:
Its mostly the same, except you now have right clicks and a few hotkey abilities ( 1-4). Its mostly more of the same with a new coat and story, but the combat does feel better because they've given every move a lot of umpf. With a barbarian, you literaly knock **** around the screen, thanks to the physics system.

**** looking cool doesn't carry a game. look at battlefield 3. when i first started that game, the deaths, explosions, all that were really cool. give it 50 hours of game time and you don't care about that crap anymore, and it comes down to the gameplay. that's why gameplay matters so much, shine and explosions are only interesting a few times
2012-05-14, 4:34 PM #16
ah ok!
2012-05-14, 6:28 PM #17
First game I've purchased at Launch since Portal 2, which I regretted. (Not that it was a bad game, but the need to play multipalyer right away was a lot less pressing than I had first thought, and could've saved some money waiting for a decent price, since I ended up finally playing it with Cazor months after release.)

I'm skeptical about this game, too. I have no doubt I will sink countless hours into it, but a few of the classical omissions has me concerned. No PVP at startup is a little troublesome, but effectually insignificant since I'm usually not ready for PVP until I've mastered at least one of the classes. The new skill system also makes it seem like there's going to be a lot of subclasses that won't really fully solidify until a few months into the game. This should give me ample time to learn the campaign's progression before the scene gets too competitive. I just wish one of the new classes interested me more besides the moderately interesting ranged demon hunter, as it looks like I'll be playing either barbarian or sorceress-I MEAN WIZARD so far.

I'm still really skeptical of money trades. I actually ended up making a little bit of money selling items in diablo 2, but I think the prices of those items was mostly due to the illegitimacy of those sales. With a universal auction house, I imagine the income to be too low to validate the time necessary to make farming worthwhile. It'll probably just be worthwhile if you get the occasional rare drop.

Is it correct that I'll be able to take my "singleplayer" character online, since it's all online? I traditionally play through the campaign single player before I even play with friends or online, just to immerse myself in the world. I really like the original Diablo's single player dungeon experience, and will always think of it as a single player game first, and a completely different multiplayer game second.

D1 was my childhood, and then D2 was my life for 5+ years. I know I tend to overhype games and then get let down afterwords, but this particular game is impossible not to be extremely excited, and extremely skeptical about. Here's to hoping it all goes smoothly tonight at GODDAMNED TWO IN THE MORNING.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-05-14, 8:07 PM #18
I played the beta, and Reid is dumb.

It might be a bit overhyped, but it's still going to be a damn good game.

The improved quest system and in depth crafting alone are vastly improved over Diablo 2, and that's what it needed.
2012-05-14, 8:47 PM #19
I played the beta, and Reid is dumb.

It might be a bit overhyped, but it's still going to be a damn good game.

The improved quest system and in depth crafting alone are vastly improved over Diablo 2, and that's what it needed.

oh, it NEEDED crafting?

weird, i remember doing the exact same thing in 20 different game recently

crafting is overused and boring at this point in gaming
2012-05-14, 9:10 PM #20
Originally posted by Reid:
oh, it NEEDED crafting?

I don't know of a single game that would have an item system like Diablo, save maybe Borderlands.
2012-05-14, 9:19 PM #21
Originally posted by Reid:
oh, it NEEDED crafting?

You take that back. I'm considering getting this based on the fact that it has crafting alone. Some will tell you that I have a nearly pathological obsession with crafting items, but, well, they're right.
>>untie shoes
2012-05-15, 12:00 AM #22
i was on the fence about buying it now or waiting to catch it on sale later...

a free poster and a cd with music from the first 2 games convinced me to go ahead
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-05-15, 1:26 AM #23
I wish I had the hardware to run this game. :L

Diablo II was and still may be my favorite game of all time.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-05-15, 1:32 AM #24
what kind of ancient pc do you have? the requirements aren't really that high
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-05-15, 9:09 AM #25
Yeah, I really cannot fathom someone not having the hardware to run a Blizzard game. Can you run ANY new games? If so, you can probably run it.
>>untie shoes
2012-05-16, 1:13 AM #26
athlon 64 dual core 3800+ 2.0 Ghz
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
2 gigs ram

lol, I don't meet the minimum reqs
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-05-16, 1:20 AM #27
So I'm just getting into Starcraft.

The first one.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-05-16, 4:27 AM #28
With the summer here, I probably wont get to play diablo 3 until its irrelevant on the single-player front, and innaccessible on the multiplayer front because the scene'll be too competitive. Ah well.
2012-05-16, 8:39 AM #29
I played through the beta at a friends house. It was alright but it didn't have the same feel as the previous games. Though the cartoony look is nice, I feel it would have been more fitting for a new franchise and not something with an already established theme of gritty medieval influences. The armor and character design seems to have fallen into more of a fantasy setting, which makes it hard to view as anything other than aerial WOW.

I did like the improved magic system though. And I'm sure it is still a lot of fun, though diablo2 ate years of my life, and right now I don't have that kind of time.
My blawgh.
2012-05-16, 9:46 AM #30
Ah, so a 4 year old laptop running an Intel GMA chip. Yep, you're screwed. And that's saying a lot, because Blizzard games are incredibly forgiving on ancient hardware.

I have a 5-month-old laptop with an i5-2430M, integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000), and 6gb DDR3. I guess a dedicated laptop graphics chip is a minimum requirement for D3, because even with all settings low, Low FX on, and AA off, it runs at 15-25 fps (avg. ~23 fps) at a resolution of 1366x768. Maybe I'm being a snob but anything below 30 fps is kinda ****ty to me.
2012-05-16, 12:33 PM #31
Not necessarily dedicated, but Intel chips are just terrible. They're only just now starting to get acceptable (and I'm talking the 4000 series). nVidia and AMD integrated solutions are usually around twice as powerful.
2012-05-16, 12:40 PM #32
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I played through the beta at a friends house. It was alright but it didn't have the same feel as the previous games. Though the cartoony look is nice, I feel it would have been more fitting for a new franchise and not something with an already established theme of gritty medieval influences. The armor and character design seems to have fallen into more of a fantasy setting, which makes it hard to view as anything other than aerial WOW.

The cartoony feel falls apart rather quickly. Especially as you start hitting the depths and picking up some actual decent armor, it stops looking like WoW and starts looking more like a Diablo game. It turns pretty violent and the game takes itself very seriously. Most of the beta is actually only around a third of the whole first act.

I think most of the reason it feels like WoW is due to simply the 3D effect, and how Blizzard prefers to use shaders over polygons for graphics. The whole image appears softer due to that, but it's less of it being like WoW, and more of a side effect of how they do graphics in general now. Needless to say, there's some spectacular views later on, both in the depths and outside. It's really nice when you go from the bowels of a prison to the top of a mountain, something Diablo 2 really never captured. You never felt like you escaped something really dangerous.
2012-05-16, 3:27 PM #33
Originally posted by Freelancer:
athlon 64 dual core 3800+ 2.0 Ghz
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
2 gigs ram

lol, I don't meet the minimum reqs

You know I've got an older system, 3800+ x2 2gigs of ram. But I went out on a stretch a little bit and got a ati 4670 ddr3 agp card (That and the 3850 are the best agp cards I think, assuming you're stuck on an agp board) and it plays newer games surprisingly well.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2012-05-17, 11:06 AM #34
I guess there isn't a cow level. But there is something. . . I may play this sooner than later after all.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JeQzJC-vS40#!
My blawgh.
2012-05-17, 11:22 AM #35
HAHAHAHA! I love how blood sprays from their noses as they fall.

I have to say, for all of my overhyping, this game is pretty awesome. There's lots of little design choices that I'm incredibly impressed with.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-05-19, 12:18 PM #36
I'm not gonna provider spoilers, but this story is killin me...
2012-05-19, 12:57 PM #37
In the sense that it is suspenseful? Or sucks?
My blawgh.
2012-05-19, 1:19 PM #38
Oh, I love the story. Just some stuff that caught me off gaurd.
2012-05-19, 6:08 PM #39
LOL SINGLEPLAYER RUBBERBANDING
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-21, 1:55 AM #40
Diablo was brilliant. DII was a dissapointment. DIII has awful character choices, and the system is still essentially the same. Some of the artwork on the environment is nice, but i just dont see how it can fare well against modern day titles with traditional 3d styles, rather than 2.5D. And if I pay 40 quid for a game, and i get home, i expect to be able to play the f***ing thing. Not be told "error 37 NERD OVERLOAD"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!