Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → has anyone here dealt with genuine depression?
has anyone here dealt with genuine depression?
2012-07-05, 1:11 AM #1
i'm about 90% sure i'm clinically depressed but i'm not sure
2012-07-05, 5:47 AM #2
:(

Go to a doctor.
幻術
2012-07-05, 6:35 AM #3
You should certain see a doctor and be diagnosed accordingly so that you may recieve the proper treatments. While they can be overplayer in the professional field, burn-outs and depressions can be very real and should not ignored.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-07-05, 6:55 AM #4
Alright, I'll go as soon as I can but it's hard when you have nearly no money to think about all that expense, you know
2012-07-05, 7:52 AM #5
I've got it, in fact I've had it for most of my life, I also have a fun little host of other issues (and yes there is definitely some correlation going on there).
My recommendation is to go to a doctor, they'll give you a simple little test where you answer the questions on a scale from "never" to "all the time". After that he can tell you how stressed/anxious/depressed you are, and probably recommend you to a psych and want to prescribe you something.

A lot of people worry about both of those things, telling a complete stranger all your worries and taking drugs.
The good news is the most effective/popular treatment among psychs is called cognitive behaviour therapy, which is basically teaching your brain to behave better. They don't even need to know your specific issues, but they'll certainly listen to them and help you address them.
As far as the drug worry is concerned, anti-depressants aren't the major personality shifting thing many people seem to think they are. They are simply designed to lessen depression, and that's pretty much eat. Depending on their strength they might make you sleep more for a week or two. There ARE drugs that will have greater and longer effects, but no doctor is about to simply start you on them.

If there is anything else you'd like to know please feel free to ask, and if there's anything you don't want all of massassi to see feel free to private message me. It's important to remember that if you are clinically depressed it's quite likely that your brain is skewing things into looking much worse than they are. It can be impossible to look on the bright side, or even believe such a side exists for you, but it actually does, you just need some help getting there. There is nothing wrong with getting that help.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-07-05, 8:05 AM #6
Originally posted by Reid:
i'm about 90% sure i'm clinically depressed but i'm not sure

There's probably no harm in seeking help from a professional but if you're not suicidal & it's not severely effecting you, I would recommend attempting some lifestyle changes. For instance, if you're not an active person, try exercising or hitting the outdoors. If you're a loner, try to become more social. If there are specific issues in your life that you're certain are contributing factors to your depression, take a good look at how to resolve them.

If this is a long-term thing, you should definitely seek professional help.
? :)
2012-07-05, 9:10 AM #7
I was really depressed for a period of about a year and a half, but I never recognized until after I got out of it (which I did by making a few major key changes in my life). A couple signs you can consider are:

1) No interest in doing anything with anyone. Do you come home from work or have a day off, but never want to go out and do anything? Do you turn down (or have an initial gut reaction to want to turn down) invitations to visit family and friends, but can't figure out why you turned them down? This is a big one for me. I can remember back then, my parents would call and invite me to come out to their house for a barbeque. I love my parents and the rest of my family dearly, and love spending time with them, had nothing else going on, but found it VERY DIFFICULT to say yes. For some reason, I wanted instead to be at home doing nothing. There's a Blue October song that talks about recognizing and overcoming this feeling. Lyrics say: "I've been talking to my aunts and uncles, mom and dad again / I've been finding out that I have what this world calls friends / I've tried to push them all away / They push me back and wanna stay / And that's one good thing I have."

2) Not really caring about anything. If you're depressed, you won't really feel sad. You won't feel anything. It's like your emotions are stuck on a bland spot in the middle.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-07-05, 9:25 AM #8
Also, I agree with Mentat about attempting some lifestyle changes. I got out of it by making some pretty major changes (joined the Navy and moved to a new town), but those extremes may not be necessary. Like Mentat said, start an exercise regimen, make a concentrated effort to start spending more time with friends, maybe buy a bike or skateboard or something, and start riding regularly. You might find that making some changes like this jogs you out of it.

But if you are feeling suicidal, or if you are finding it difficult or impossible to break out of it on your own, you should talk to a doctor. There's no reason to be afraid or reason to feel shame in getting help if you need it.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-07-05, 11:00 AM #9
you're depressed because you're overwhelmed by psychological and social stresses. in other words, there are things in your life that are ****ty. deal with it, literally. if you can't deal with it yourself, find someone that can help manage it.
2012-07-05, 11:53 AM #10
I noticed the last post was by ragna so I was expecting something ragnaish, but that's a good post and I fully agree. o_O
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-07-05, 2:12 PM #11
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
I was really depressed for a period of about a year and a half, but I never recognized until after I got out of it (which I did by making a few major key changes in my life). A couple signs you can consider are:

1) No interest in doing anything with anyone. Do you come home from work or have a day off, but never want to go out and do anything? Do you turn down (or have an initial gut reaction to want to turn down) invitations to visit family and friends, but can't figure out why you turned them down? This is a big one for me. I can remember back then, my parents would call and invite me to come out to their house for a barbeque. I love my parents and the rest of my family dearly, and love spending time with them, had nothing else going on, but found it VERY DIFFICULT to say yes. For some reason, I wanted instead to be at home doing nothing. There's a Blue October song that talks about recognizing and overcoming this feeling. Lyrics say: "I've been talking to my aunts and uncles, mom and dad again / I've been finding out that I have what this world calls friends / I've tried to push them all away / They push me back and wanna stay / And that's one good thing I have."

2) Not really caring about anything. If you're depressed, you won't really feel sad. You won't feel anything. It's like your emotions are stuck on a bland spot in the middle.

Yes, this pretty much describes how I've felt for close to a year. I just don't enjoy the company of anyone anymore. I do on rare occasions but usually I prefer to be alone. Lately I've started hanging on suicidal thoughts and that's what's making me so scared
2012-07-05, 2:23 PM #12
Originally posted by ragna:
you're depressed because you're overwhelmed by psychological and social stresses. in other words, there are things in your life that are ****ty. deal with it, literally. if you can't deal with it yourself, find someone that can help manage it.

How do you know this is the right diagnosis? Telling him that it is is more than harmless, so you'd better not.

I think you are blind to the possibility that depression can be caused by biochemical or neurological processes beyond conscious control. The best way to deal with them is through medicine, pharmacological or otherwise, or by joining Scientology*.

* Just kidding. Really, do not join. Ask Katie Holmes.
2012-07-05, 3:42 PM #13
Depression is often tied to genius. Maybe you're a genius?
2012-07-05, 5:54 PM #14
Reid, remember, suicide is an EXTREME, PERMENANT response to a problem that is fixable and temporary. If you have suicidal thoughts, do not entertain them. Find something else to occupy your thoughts, ideally something outside if the weather is nice, and/or with people, particularly people who care about you. And definitely go see someone. If you can't afford to see a psychologist, go see someone whose wisdom you trust. If you have a good relationship with your parents, seek their help. Talk to a counselor at school, or a pastor at a local church. You need to do this right away. And be truthful with people. Tell them you've been feeling depressed and that you've lately been having suicidal thoughts. You will find that your friends and family care about you, and spending time around people that care about you WILL help your feelings of depression, whether they're trained or equipped to handle depression or not.

2012-07-05, 8:29 PM #15

No ****, sherlock, that's why he's asking questions about it.

Why are you so fucking dense? You always think you have the world figured out, but time and again you prove to be another clueless fuck who's too stupid to see his own incompetence.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-07-05, 8:53 PM #16
Just what every depressed person wants to hear: "It's nbd, just snap out of it." Eat a dick, ragna. You are an awful person and deeply ignorant.

Reid, you really need to see a doctor. What you're dealing with is very likely a highly-treatable neurotransmitter deficiency that will not correct itself without medical intervention. A doctor might sound expensive right now, but it's a damn sight cheaper than killing yourself because your brain chemistry is off.
2012-07-05, 9:25 PM #17
Guys I think you might be misinterpreting ragna's post...it seems to me like he's not saying "Get a grip of yourself and just deal with it!" but rather "Try to address whatever troubles may be the source of these feelings, and if you find them overwhelming then seek professional help" and I really don't think that's a bad message.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-07-06, 4:27 AM #18
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm agreeing with pretty much everything Sarn has said.
nope.
2012-07-06, 5:32 AM #19
Quote:
If you're a loner, try to become more social.

I'm not saying this is terrible advice, but maybe part of the reason he's so depressed is people expecting him to be things he isn't.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-07-06, 7:40 AM #20
I've thought that I might have this same problem, but I can't afford to go to a doctor for it.
>>untie shoes
2012-07-06, 10:49 AM #21
Originally posted by Antony:
I've thought that I might have this same problem, but I can't afford to go to a doctor for it.

I always forgot you have to pay to get treatment in the United States. Its a damn chainsawing PITA that you're being dettered from seeking treatment because you may not be able to afford it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-07-06, 11:53 AM #22
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Just what every depressed person wants to hear: "It's nbd, just snap out of it." Eat a dick, ragna. You are an awful person and deeply ignorant.

Reid, you really need to see a doctor. What you're dealing with is very likely a highly-treatable neurotransmitter deficiency that will not correct itself without medical intervention. A doctor might sound expensive right now, but it's a damn sight cheaper than killing yourself because your brain chemistry is off.

You're no better. "Pop a pill and your life will get better." This is what a depressed person might want to hear, but it's only part of the solution. Depressed people tend to endorse biological explanations of the cause of their depressions, but let's not kid ourselves, genetic predisposition is only part of the picture. There's a reason depression is called a stress-related disorder.

I rather have Reid find a way (not necessarily by himself) to fix his major stressors at the source rather than become complacent through drugs/find a scapegoat for his life problems in his genetics.
2012-07-06, 12:53 PM #23
The first thing I can think of trying, since nothing currently seems to excite you is to explore vastly new things

Take up some form of complicated cooking
Listen to a very new kind of music that you arent used to
Rent and try and learn an instrument
Make an exercise routine

If you arent passionate about anything you're currently doing it just makes sense to me to do a little exploring and discover something you may have never expected
2012-07-06, 2:20 PM #24
I have a few reasons to be hesitant of visiting a doctor beyond cost, as well

Every doctor I've ever encountered will basically bend to your will if you sound self educated about a topic at all. I used to tell my damn doctor what prescriptions and dosages to write me for ADHD meds. I want what's right for me, and I don't think a generic family physician will be able to do that

Secondly, ADHD meds have been a good and bad experience for me. They helped me in school at the time, but I truly feel they have altered me in some way. There are studies that suggest this as well, that ADHD meds as a youth may cause depressive symptoms as adults and even that they may cause permanent damage to the 'motivation' part of your brain. (this describes me right now fairly damn well) Now, call me crazy but stuffing my brain with more altering psychoactive chemicals a month after quitting the old ones isn't very appealing, especially since the old ones caused me grief (lost weight, stress, even anger and confusion).
2012-07-06, 4:08 PM #25
reid, you sound a LOT like me. I have ADHD and have had clinical depression for most of my life. not the WOE-is-ME! My life is a black pit of despair!!! depression, but like you said unmotivated, tired all the time, dont want to see family or friends. A lot of times ADHD can affect depression as well. especially if you have the more inattentive type where your more just easily distracted and kind of quiet/introverted as opposed to the more hyperactive variety. There are a lot of things you can do on your own (eat healthy, exercise, make a point to go out and do things) that will help a little, but going to see a psychologist is probably the best answer, ESPECIALLY if your having suicidal thoughts. also something that, for as wtf as it sounds, has helped me was finding a ADHD support group. < yeah i know, lame.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-07-06, 4:52 PM #26
If you don't want to see a doctor, do LSD and hope for the better.*

*Not valid advice.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-07-06, 6:14 PM #27
You could say I'm in the same boat. I've dealt with depression for most of my life and have struggled with suicidal thoughts for a almost a decade. I haven't seen a doctor about it, and am skeptical about medication as I personally known people who have had adverse side effects from it. I also feel like there is enough drama in my family that I don't want to give my parents and siblings something else to deal with. Maybe you don't want to be a burden and that is why you avoid opportunities to spend time with others, or maybe you feel that attachment is the last thing you want because you don't want to break hearts and have those people never forgive you if you end up committing suicide. That has been my own theory about that kind of behavior as I've done the same thing.

When I realized that was the case I decided I would make more of an effort to build up relationships and be bound to something, which by means of guilt would prevent me from even consider hurting the people I care about by killing myself. That in itself is a small step. Like others have suggested, make changes in your life, choosing hobbies that require physical activity is a great way to improve your outlook on life. Picking up weights and running is difficult for me, but I've been taking my bike on long rides in secluded places and it has helped me have a better outlook on life, and the addition of frequent adrenalin makes it difficult to feel down and can have a motivational boost toward other projects. Small acts of service is also something I would recommend as it is gratifying and lets other feel they can depend on you.

I have a few other remedies, though medicating yourself is difficult, and since everyone is different I would recommend seeing a councilor or therapist who can assess how serious your condition is. If you want to talk about it more send me a PM, I'd be happy to hear you out and offer any advice I can give.
My blawgh.
2012-07-06, 9:19 PM #28
I've been pretty depressed since spring break. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just sleep whenever I wanted to.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-07-07, 1:05 AM #29
I talked with my parents about it and they agreed to help me with doctor bills for now. They were very understanding, surprisingly..
2012-07-07, 10:47 AM #30
Good choice, Reid. I hope everything works out for you.

2012-07-07, 2:10 PM #31
You're no better. "Pop a pill and your life will get better." This is what a depressed person might want to hear, but it's only part of the solution. Depressed people tend to endorse biological explanations of the cause of their depressions, but let's not kid ourselves, genetic predisposition is only part of the picture. There's a reason depression is called a stress-related disorder.

I rather have Reid find a way (not necessarily by himself) to fix his major stressors at the source rather than become complacent through drugs/find a scapegoat for his life problems in his genetics.

True depression, as definitely sounds like the case for Reid, may be a result of certain stressors or may be genetic, but it still results in a chemical (serotonin) imbalance in the brain. It is normal for everyone to feel sad or a case of the blues every once in a while, but when it is an ongoing feeling, then medical intervention is necessary.

Reid, when you see a doctor, he'll ask you questions that are indicators of depression, and then he will probably prescribe some form of anti-depressant and possibly recommend a psychiatrist. Depending on severity, it could take a combination of both. It may also take trying different medications to find one that is right for you. I have dealt with both depression and anxiety (both have links to the same chemical), and I have seen doctors about it. It will take time for your treatment to really take effect, so don't think after a couple days that it's not going to work. It will probably take some time.
2012-07-07, 9:29 PM #32
News flash, the brain is a physical entity. Mood affects brain chemistry and brain chemistry affects mood. Reid may or may not have external or internal psychological or social factors affecting his mood. None of us can know that and none of us are recommending he only get a pill to "be happy" (it doesn't even work that way). We're suggesting he see a damn doctor to get a proper diagnosis.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-07-07, 11:16 PM #33
srsly :/
2012-07-08, 1:15 AM #34
Always suspected at certain times (might have even been the case in 2008), never got a doctor's word on it. Aside from quite many years ago (from a psychologist, tho') who just told me that "you don't have any mental illnesses, you're just a prick". Boh!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-07-08, 4:12 AM #35
I have been told I have PTSD with depressive features.

Lifestyle changes are always good. Do them. At any time, anything you can do to improve the process that is your life, is a good thing.

But...

People get sad sometimes. For good reasons. If you don't have a good a reason (like me, or even if you do but it doesn't see, to explain all of it) see a doctor. Thinking that you can solve everything by yourself is foolish. You don't trust yourself to fix every problem in your modern, computer controlled automobile, even if you can change the oil. Why would you think the same for your brain? I do. You don't want to. Trust me.

Sincerely,

Someone who gets it.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-07-08, 5:08 AM #36
Originally posted by Emon:
News flash, the brain is a physical entity. Mood affects brain chemistry and brain chemistry affects mood. Reid may or may not have external or internal psychological or social factors affecting his mood. None of us can know that and none of us are recommending he only get a pill to "be happy" (it doesn't even work that way). We're suggesting he see a damn doctor to get a proper diagnosis.

This. He's stated that this is long-term & that he's having suicidal thoughts. The discussion is clearly over at this point--he needs to seek professional help.
? :)
2012-07-08, 5:55 AM #37
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'm not saying this is terrible advice, but maybe part of the reason he's so depressed is people expecting him to be things he isn't.

This right here was a big thing for me. Not even because people were expecting me to be things I wasn't but me thinking 'EVERYONE NORMAL' is like this, and I'm not.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-07-08, 3:13 PM #38
http://www.quora.com/What-should-you-not-say-to-someone-suffering-from-depression My answer is the anonymous one at the top.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2012-07-08, 9:15 PM #39
Originally posted by Detty:

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment behind that post. "Just be there" is the best thing someone can do for a friend or family member suffering from depression. This is why above I recommended talking to someone even if it wasn't someone specifically trained in how to deal with this sort of thing.

When I was going through my depression, one of the things that helped me was realizing that my parents and my sisters were still there for me. After I began to recognize my tendency to offhandedly reject invitations to spend time with them thanks to the Blue October song I linked above, I started to notice how often they were making those invitations and how often they were calling me just to say hi and see how I was doing. I don't know if they knew I was depressed, but I'm pretty sure they recognized I was withdrawn and were trying to reach out to me. And believing that made a huge difference, and was almost certainly the key factor that allowed me to claw my way out of it.

Anyway, since this thread is about Reid's struggle and not about the rest of us knowing how to deal with it: Reid, once again, I'm very happy to hear that you took my advice and talked to someone (in this case your parents) who you could trust. I know you're going through some rough times. Hang in there, and let your parents act as an anchor to keep you steady. Them helping you financially is a bonus, but it is not the best thing they're doing for you. The best thing they're doing is just being there for you, to listen to your struggles and show you that there are people out there who care about you and are genuinely invested in your success. When things are looking bleak, remember that point, especially, and it should help you through it.

2012-07-09, 6:32 AM #40
Originally posted by Jon`C:

I guess it's worth a shot, but sadly, doctors kind of suck at this sort of thing.

↑ Up to the top!