Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
2012-12-31, 9:40 PM #41
Originally posted by Tibby:
They slapped some chinese socs into halfass cases, then shipped them. Not too hard.

ITT Tibby doesn't know what an soc is.
2012-12-31, 9:59 PM #42
System on a chip, which is what the ouya uses.
ITT CM grasps at straws to poorly insult another board member.
2012-12-31, 10:07 PM #43
System on a chip, which is what the ouya uses.
ITT CM grasps at straws to poorly insult another board member.

I'm sure you know the acronym, but you don't know what it is or who makes them, that's quite apparent. You stated that plainly in that post.
2013-01-01, 2:10 AM #44
Would you rather I said it uses a tegra 3 soc? It's still made by the Chinese!
Keep grasping at straws and I'm gonna run out.
2013-01-01, 7:15 AM #45
Would you rather I said it uses a tegra 3 soc? It's still made by the Chinese!
Keep grasping at straws and I'm gonna run out.

Question, tibby: where does about 98% of all electronics come from? What country? I'll give you a hint, for when you start inevitably googling for the answer: it's the same country that houses the Tegra 3 manufacturer. Oh and what the hell, another hint: It ain't China.
2013-01-01, 7:40 AM #46
I see another debate coming.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-01, 7:45 AM #47
You're China.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-01-01, 8:21 AM #48
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
You're China.

Only if you are MB.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-01, 9:24 AM #49
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Question, tibby: where does about 98% of all electronics come from? What country? I'll give you a hint, for when you start inevitably googling for the answer: it's the same country that houses the Tegra 3 manufacturer. Oh and what the hell, another hint: It ain't China.

why not just tell the poor little retard...

[http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/SgtPnkks/3oqotj.jpg]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-01-01, 10:18 AM #50
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golem.de%2Fnews%2Fpc-spielekonsole-steam-box-ohne-windows-1212-96609.html
? :)
2013-01-01, 11:02 AM #51
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
why not just tell the poor little retard...

[http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/SgtPnkks/3oqotj.jpg]

This post delivers.
>>untie shoes
2013-01-01, 12:38 PM #52
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I think 'vapourware forever-project' might be a little harsh even if technically, thus far, correct. They just shipped 1,200 Developer Consoles within 5 months of ending their kickstarter campaign.
$800 dev units with controllers so bad that everyone is just crossing their fingers about them being able to fix it before the production run. The hard part is going to be getting and keeping it below $100 over the long term.

Sometimes I forget where I am.

Anyway back closer to the topic, Anyone think Valve might do something like copy (or just buy) OnLive's service and implement it on this 'Steambox' for singleplayer games? Obviously it wouldnt work for multiplayer games with all the extra network overhead and input lag but it would make nearly all the singleplayer Windows games available. Just speculating.
I don't think Valve will copy a business plan that flopped so hard or publicly.

I really think the path of least-resistance is to start a greenfield Steambox/Linux library. A big back catalog is nice to have, but it's not essential as long as you can attract the major titles going forward. Valve can push companies to make Steambox/Linux ports and continue to push Nvidia on driver quality (one of the luxuries of being a major OEM is that you get to tell your supplier to get their **** together).
2013-01-01, 1:49 PM #53
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

You win the semantic argument, good job. I like how you veered away from your original point.
It's like you have this overwhelming desire to, for some reason I don't understand, constantly find ways to insult me. So you read my post "Oh! He said this thing was made in China... but it's not!" and then jumped on it like a rabid dog, with absolutely no attention given to the fact that you derailed an argument that was already a derailment of the original thread topic.
Basically what I'm saying is your a bad board member and your posts contribute little the community.
2013-01-01, 1:54 PM #54
Basically what I'm saying is your a bad board member and your posts contribute little the community.

Your post history is a demonstration of being a worthless forum member. For ****s sake on multiple occasions you've wholly copy and pasted posts from SA forums in some attempt to seem funny or clever or seek approval or who knows what.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-01-01, 1:57 PM #55
Why does that matter? Who cares about my posting that may or may not have been worthless in the past? I'm trying to have a rational discussion about valves new gadget and it's being derailed by Captain Ego.
2013-01-01, 2:03 PM #56
I was expecting Tibby to make the argument that Taiwan is part of China.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-01, 2:03 PM #57
Nah I just forgot that's where it was made at all, simple mistake.
2013-01-01, 2:48 PM #58
You win the semantic argument, good job. I like how you veered away from your original point.
It's like you have this overwhelming desire to, for some reason I don't understand, constantly find ways to insult me. So you read my post "Oh! He said this thing was made in China... but it's not!" and then jumped on it like a rabid dog, with absolutely no attention given to the fact that you derailed an argument that was already a derailment of the original thread topic.

Because the whole implication of "IT'S MADE IN CHINA" is that it was terrible. As if it was some no-name knockoff chipset that would explode in a lead-filled mushroom cloud. The whole point was your entire basis for that statement was without foundation, and that you clearly didn't understand what the SoCs were (or else you wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place).

I do enjoy the fact that no one is allowed to point out your fallacies without you turning it into a "I'M THE VICTIM, WOE IS ME", though. Make less of them and perhaps people won't call you out on them. Which is probably why the same situations crop up on SA too. Not because it's a me versus you war, but because you're legitimately making ignorant statements or simply "not getting it".
2013-01-01, 2:53 PM #59
There's a way to point out fallacies without being a jackass, it's called having a dignified conversation.
Also this derail has gone on too long, please use PMs if you wish to pursue this further according to the site rules.
2013-01-01, 2:58 PM #60
There's a way to point out fallacies without being a jackass, it's called having a dignified conversation.
Also this derail has gone on too long, please use PMs if you wish to pursue this further according to the site rules.

There is a way, but that got old years ago with you.

I'd care about derailing if there was anything else to talk about on the topic. Unfortunately, Valve's probably going to sit tight and not say anything for another 6 months, as is their style.
2013-01-01, 3:00 PM #61
I was expecting Tibby to make the argument that Taiwan is part of China.

Some would make the argument that Taiwan is the real China.
2013-01-05, 7:40 PM #62
Bumping this thread is probably foolish but a Valve engineer basically just confirmed Steambox will be running Linux.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golem.de%2Fnews%2Fpc-spielekonsole-steam-box-ohne-windows-1212-96609.html
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-06, 10:56 AM #63
Blizzard is planning to release a Linux port of at least one of their games this year.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2ODE
2013-01-06, 11:08 AM #64
tibby arguing

[http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/post/Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert.gif]

Originally posted by Jon`C:
Blizzard is planning to release a Linux port of at least one of their games this year.

Interesting that companies are switching to Linux. Free wins. Good for the consumer.
2013-01-06, 11:29 AM #65
December 2012 Steam hardware survey includes Linux:

[TABLE="width: 400"]
[TR]
[TD]Operating System[/TD]
[TD]Share[/TD]
[TD]Change[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 7 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]56.35%[/TD]
[TD] -2.23% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 7[/TD]
[TD]14.12%[/TD]
[TD] +0.14% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows XP 32 bit[/TD]
[TD]10.03%[/TD]
[TD] -0.33% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 8 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]6.33%[/TD]
[TD] +2.08% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows Vista 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]3.84%[/TD]
[TD] -0.93% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows Vista 32 bit[/TD]
[TD]3.12%[/TD]
[TD] -0.18% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]1.81%[/TD]
[TD] +0.32% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.88%[/TD]
[TD] +0.16% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.83%[/TD]
[TD] +0.05% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 8[/TD]
[TD]0.60%[/TD]
[TD] +0.16% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows XP 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.41%[/TD]
[TD] -0.06% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.29%[/TD]
[TD] +0.29% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.26%[/TD]
[TD] +0.26% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.20%[/TD]
[TD] -0.07% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS[/TD]
[TD]0.13%[/TD]
[TD] +0.13% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.10[/TD]
[TD]0.12%[/TD]
[TD] +0.12% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Other[/TD]
[TD]0.71%[/TD]
[TD] +0.14% [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

0.8% of all Steam users isn't bad at all considering it was only released on December 20th, it's still in beta, and there are no games for it.

(I imagine the growth in 'other' is from Kubuntu, Mint, etc. so the figure is probably closer to 0.94%.)
2013-01-06, 11:47 AM #66
December 2012 Steam hardware survey includes Linux:

[TABLE="width: 400"]
[TR]
[TD]Operating System[/TD]
[TD]Share[/TD]
[TD]Change[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 7 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]56.35%[/TD]
[TD] -2.23% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 7[/TD]
[TD]14.12%[/TD]
[TD] +0.14% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows XP 32 bit[/TD]
[TD]10.03%[/TD]
[TD] -0.33% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 8 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]6.33%[/TD]
[TD] +2.08% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows Vista 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]3.84%[/TD]
[TD] -0.93% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows Vista 32 bit[/TD]
[TD]3.12%[/TD]
[TD] -0.18% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]1.81%[/TD]
[TD] +0.32% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.88%[/TD]
[TD] +0.16% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.83%[/TD]
[TD] +0.05% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows 8[/TD]
[TD]0.60%[/TD]
[TD] +0.16% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows XP 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.41%[/TD]
[TD] -0.06% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.29%[/TD]
[TD] +0.29% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.26%[/TD]
[TD] +0.26% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit[/TD]
[TD]0.20%[/TD]
[TD] -0.07% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS[/TD]
[TD]0.13%[/TD]
[TD] +0.13% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ubuntu 12.10[/TD]
[TD]0.12%[/TD]
[TD] +0.12% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Other[/TD]
[TD]0.71%[/TD]
[TD] +0.14% [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

0.8% of all Steam users isn't bad at all considering it was only released on December 20th, it's still in beta, and there are no games for it.

(I imagine the growth in 'other' is from Kubuntu, Mint, etc. so the figure is probably closer to 0.94%.)

Is the Linux installer for steam a debian package?
2013-01-06, 1:16 PM #67
Originally posted by Reid:
Is the Linux installer for steam a debian package?

Right now yeah, the beta is officially for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Games pull down dependencies using apt too I think. Valve is working with distros to fix this all before the actual release.
2013-01-06, 4:42 PM #68
Right now yeah, the beta is officially for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Games pull down dependencies using apt too I think. Valve is working with distros to fix this all before the actual release.

considering how popular ubuntu is and how it's streamlined, that's probably a good choice
2013-01-06, 4:53 PM #69
Holy lol people actually own windows 8 32 bit.
wtf is wrong with people/oems
2013-01-06, 9:17 PM #70

you constantly being condescending reflects upon your poor self esteem, tibby

who cares if people use windows 8 32 bit. there are bigger and better things to think about
2013-01-06, 9:59 PM #71

Atom netbooks and it's not really the OEMs' fault that Microsoft isn't selling them Windows 7 anymore, is it? What are they supposed to do? Go out of business (e.g. sell Linux)?
2013-01-06, 11:09 PM #72
Atom netbooks and it's not really the OEMs' fault that Microsoft isn't selling them Windows 7 anymore, is it? What are they supposed to do? Go out of business (e.g. sell Linux)?

No, they're supposed to listen to Tibby because he's a self learned genius who knows all there is to know about computers and the businesses involving computers.
2013-01-07, 2:39 AM #73
Since I had sidetracked this thread previously with the OUYA discussion, figured I'd try again:

http://gizmodo.com/5973640/kaboom-nvidia-is-making-its-own-gaming-system

Nvidia is working on an Android based gaming system. Maybe this one makes more sense since it's portable but can broadcast to a TV for display as well. Another failure? Either way I think Android gaming is about to explode. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-07, 4:19 PM #74
Since I had sidetracked this thread previously with the OUYA discussion, figured I'd try again:

http://gizmodo.com/5973640/kaboom-nvidia-is-making-its-own-gaming-system

Nvidia is working on an Android based gaming system. Maybe this one makes more sense since it's portable but can broadcast to a TV for display as well. Another failure? Either way I think Android gaming is about to explode. :)

Does this NVidia device make phone calls?

Because if not, I predict it will be a failure.
2013-01-07, 5:16 PM #75

Pretty much. It's a huge mistake to conflate the success of smartphones games with the success of Android games. There's a reason the smartphone is killing off the handheld market and it's not because of the operating system they run.
2013-01-07, 5:55 PM #76

Atoms still exist? I thought newer Atoms were 64 bit too, dang.
Android gaming, also known as piracy.
2013-01-07, 6:35 PM #77

Obviously not android, but is the ipod touch a failure?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-07, 7:13 PM #78
Pretty much. It's a huge mistake to conflate the success of smartphones games with the success of Android games. There's a reason the smartphone is killing off the handheld market and it's not because of the operating system they run.
Also, I know I'm belabouring this point, but game developers don't want Android.

Android is very bad for games. Insert here: huge effortpost that I can't be bothered to write about e.g. the security model, JNI performance costs, code generation differences between JIT and native compiled in part. register allocation algorithms and the lack of benefit of continuous profiling/whole program analysis for apps that pretty much start off in steady state. So I guess just take it on faith that Android is very bad for games because Jon`C said so and if anybody wants to have a serious talk we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

A lot of Android's shortcomings are shared with PCs and iOS devices. Developers are willing to tolerate these disadvantages because it gives them access to an established user base. A dedicated game console, on the other hand, is driven by the games... and there's nothing in Android that a game developer can get passionate about (whether you're talking about Nvidia or Ouya).
2013-01-07, 8:01 PM #79

No one wants to carry, charge, and worry about an expensive device that doesn't do anything but provide entertainment.

Obviously not android, but is the ipod touch a failure?

The iPod touch has a different purpose
2013-01-08, 12:57 AM #80
The iPod touch has a different purpose

If you say so, but no one I know uses them primarily as mp3 players.

To be fair it was a loaded question. I just wanted to see how you would respond. iPod Touch capitalizes on iPhone's 'must have' social status. It let's kids and people who can't afford the monthly phone plan into that social circle. Clearly Nvidia's device wont have that going for it.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER

↑ Up to the top!