Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
Valve to make next-gen console, compete with Sony/Microsoft- CNET
2013-01-08, 1:10 AM #81
Jon`C, I hear your many points about Android but:

Originally posted by Jon`C:
Developers are willing to tolerate these disadvantages because it gives them access to an established user base.

I'm betting that trumps them all. I remember constantly reading articles about how the PS3 was a nightmare to develop games on (although I think that's mostly hardware related). I wont debate if the PS3 was a success or failure but it certainly sold millions of units and attracted enough major developers to have a comparable gaming library to the Xbox360.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-08, 1:54 AM #82
And more back on topic...

Announced at CES, Valve is apparently partnering with Xi3 and it's going to be a mini-PC.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284/piston-valve-steam-box-xi3

I'm having a tough time finding detailed specs, but it looks like it would be based on AMD's Trinity APU. Probably something like the A10-4600M. Enough for decent 1080p performance in most situations.

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm still a little disappointed. I guess I was sorta hoping for something closer to Alienware's X51, small yet upgradeable in case there was any chance it could be converted from a console to standard PC.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-08, 7:20 AM #83
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm betting that trumps them all. I remember constantly reading articles about how the PS3 was a nightmare to develop games on (although I think that's mostly hardware related). I wont debate if the PS3 was a success or failure but it certainly sold millions of units and attracted enough major developers to have a comparable gaming library to the Xbox360.
These dedicated Android consoles have a completely different mode of user interaction and impose new constraints. You really have to treat them as a completely different market from smartphones. They aren't going to be popular just because Android phones are popular.

The market decided that the PS3 would be successful before it ever came out. Developers worked on it and consumers preordered it on the expectation that it would be a success. If it hadn't been the successor to the PS2, game and middleware developers certainly wouldn't have wasted the time fixing it.

Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm having a tough time finding detailed specs, but it looks like it would be based on AMD's Trinity APU. Probably something like the A10-4600M. Enough for decent 1080p performance in most situations.

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm still a little disappointed. I guess I was sorta hoping for something closer to Alienware's X51, small yet upgradeable in case there was any chance it could be converted from a console to standard PC.
Ewww, a LV Bulldozer. Gross.

I don't think this is the official Steam box (if there even will be such a thing). I just don't really see them partnering with an unknown Kickstarter-funded hardware company. It's looking more and more like Steambox will be a certification program for Linux PCs that boot directly into Big Picture.
2013-01-08, 8:04 AM #84
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I don't think this is the official Steam box (if there even will be such a thing). I just don't really see them partnering with an unknown Kickstarter-funded hardware company. It's looking more and more like Steambox will be a certification program for Linux PCs that boot directly into Big Picture.

I'd love it if Valve releases their own 'Steambox' Linux Distro, and we could just supply hardware designed to meet certain minimum requirements. Looking at the prices Xi3 is currently charging it would be easy to build the same system in MicroATX format for ~1/3 the cost.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-08, 8:16 AM #85
It looks like an ATX power supply with ports.
2013-01-08, 1:52 PM #86
Also yeah, looks like the steambox has garbage ass specs and is made by a dumb idiot company, and will probably sell for ±800 dollars.
well gabe, it was a good run.
2013-01-08, 2:14 PM #87
A certification program would be great. Then, like Google's Nexus, Valve could release a flagship line meant to set the reference standard. And they can call it Steam Engine.

I'll be really upset if there isn't something called Steam Engine.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-01-08, 2:30 PM #88
Originally posted by Emon:
A certification program would be great. Then, like Google's Nexus, Valve could release a flagship line meant to set the reference standard. And they can call it Steam Engine.

I'll be really upset if there isn't something called Steam Engine.

I was thinking it would be nice if the 'SteamBox distro' included a series of benchmarks, similar to the Windows Experience Index. Then it could evolve as new games came out, requiring more horsepower.

(Silly example) Like something that meets Steambox 1.0 specs might only be able to run Crysis4 on Low Settings, and it would inform you of that, even before you make your purchase.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-09, 12:55 AM #89
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming
? :)
2013-01-09, 7:26 AM #90

Thanks Mentat. Although some of that Good, Better, Best talk confused me- I did like this part:

Quote:
So are most of these going to be Linux-based Steam Boxes?
We’ll come out with our own and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard. This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER

↑ Up to the top!