Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Projects Thread
Projects Thread
2017-04-23, 8:22 AM #41
I made jailhouse wine a couple times. Talk about harsh. Anyway, I haven't and we didn't get many last year. I do expect more this year although the vine planted in the corner hasn't taken off really great yet, in my opinion. I remember how grape flavored candy or soda tastes and I never really thought that tasted like grapes. Until last year and I tasted the grapes from these vines. At the far end of the garden are the strawberries. Crazy how little care they need and they grow like weeds. I tried some raspberry vines but I didn't want to put them along the fence so I put some around our willow tree. They never really did too well and then a freak storm knocked the tree down so I just gave up at that point. Maybe another day.

I did buy a "For Dummies" book about beer and wine making several year back so it's been on my mind and if I do try to make some wine I'm going to have to remember this technique:

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-05-28, 4:12 AM #42
Man, 4 years since the greatest FGR project there ever was.

Never again.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-12-11, 11:31 AM #43
Speaking of which:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

In a world, where people are wondering if and when things will get better... FastGamerr is back to make things worse.
2017-12-11, 12:07 PM #44
This is the project you've decided on, for sure?
2017-12-11, 12:13 PM #45
Oh, it'll be a 5-minute-cakewalk in the vein of TODOA 2-. Hoping to get full voice acting for it, though.

And Ruthven's bucket will finally be put into use.
2017-12-12, 9:50 PM #46
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Oh, it'll be a 5-minute-cakewalk in the vein of TODOA 2-. Hoping to get full voice acting for it, though.

And Ruthven's bucket will finally be put into use.

Post a vimeo of it and I'll watch - gotta support the people who actually make content here lol
2018-03-12, 10:01 AM #47
My friend told me about a job opening at his work he thought I should apply for. I spent the week going through hours of footage trying to throw a demo reel together on time. This morning I made some last minute changes, and sent it off before I left for class. Now I'm a ball of anxiety. Vibes please.

Also, here's the video.
https://vimeo.com/259677019
My blawgh.
2018-03-12, 10:59 AM #48
Good luck! Your video is cool. Does it mean you filmed all of that? Like you were the camera person? Or you organized all the shoots/storyboards/etc.? I don't know much about video. It looks incredibly time consuming. The only video project I was ever involved in was "A Killing in the Woods" and it took quite a while just to do my small part, and I know Kiramin spent an enormous amount of time on it. Oh, I did use some apple program to trim some wakeboard videos and even that took a while.
2018-03-12, 11:41 AM #49
Originally posted by Brian:
Good luck! Your video is cool. Does it mean you filmed all of that? Like you were the camera person? Or you organized all the shoots/storyboards/etc.? I don't know much about video. It looks incredibly time consuming. The only video project I was ever involved in was "A Killing in the Woods" and it took quite a while just to do my small part, and I know Kiramin spent an enormous amount of time on it. Oh, I did use some apple program to trim some wakeboard videos and even that took a while.

Thanks, Brain.
I guess it is kind of vague what my skills are. I direct, shoot, and write scripts, build assets, animate, and edit. The only footage I didn't create was the actual footage of the superbowl 360 Dome experience. For that project I was hired for something like 3 days to fix the script, and draw the storyboards. The only down-time I got was waiting for feedback from the NFL on the script changes and storyboards. After the storyboard was finished, it was sent to EA Tiburon where it was built in their game engine.

Putting the demo reel together was a really bitter sweet experience. The earliest footage is from 2012, and a lot of the personal projects were never finished, because like you said, video is very time consuming. I tried cutting corners by making up my short films as I went, meaning I had some penciled ideas about what would happen, but no planned blocking or direction. A lot of those films ended with what was first serious all being some kind of a joke, which is fun the first time, but soon it became the fallback.
I've resolved to write a script for everything I shoot, or produce from now on. I've spent the last few months writing a script for a short film, and although it is frustrating when I'm writing my fourth revision, I'm really glad I didn't make that first version into a film, because it would have been a huge regrettable mess.
My blawgh.
2018-03-12, 12:42 PM #50
I make music these days, put this out a little while back and got another one in the pipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22apmcEglzs
2018-03-12, 2:49 PM #51
My dad had a Honda Hawk that he really loved, but he sold it when I was born (my mom didn't want to be a single mom). A couple of weeks ago I bought one from a craiglist ad. I intend to fix it up and give it to him for either his birthday or Christmas (he was born on Christmas day so the distinction is minimal). I don't have any pictures of the Honda because I have it hidden at an associates house to keep it secret from my pop. I've been working on that for a while, I'll snap a couple of photos when I'm there next.

BUT... while I was there buying the Honda, I saw that the guy also had a 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100 that he (or someone) had taken all apart to soup up or fix up or whatever. I LURVE Triumph motorcycles (I already have two). So I bought it for $300. I got the frame, tank, wheels, much of the engine, and a box full of parts. I have been rebuilding it. The bottom end was good, so I've been rebuilding the top end. I will also clean out and rebuild the carbs, fix all the goofy wiring (someone wired up some contraption so the rider could charge his phone and listen to music while he was riding and it looks like a fire hazard), replace the replacables (chain, plugs, filters, etc.), and give it a thorough cleaning. I'm hoping I can get the rebuild done under $700 so I can keep the whole project under $1000.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xM8kGNdkXIzbT59w1
2018-03-15, 6:13 AM #52
I want do build a portable Raspberry Pi for retro gaming. Problem is, that I currently don't have the cash, even for such a cheap project. So I did the next best thing and sold it on ebay (with the caveat that I only order the parts after receiving the money). I will continue to do so at least until I've earned enough to build one for myself.

Sorry for the lousy German
2018-03-15, 6:51 AM #53
Cool, and they just released the B+ so that should be a bit of an upgrade.
2018-03-18, 7:05 PM #54
I guess I'm building myself up to run 5Ks at this point. Yesterday and today ran 3.1 and 3.3 miles, though today's run was interrupted by a stop to the gym to do some weightlifting. I'm still having to take the occasional break to walk for a few seconds and cool down a tad, but the stops are getting much shorter and my running is staying faster.

Running is a very addicting hobby.
2018-03-18, 7:23 PM #55

Also, this. Although the movie seems more sinister given last year's revelations..
2018-03-18, 9:52 PM #56
Originally posted by Reid:
I guess I'm building myself up to run 5Ks at this point. Yesterday and today ran 3.1 and 3.3 miles, though today's run was interrupted by a stop to the gym to do some weightlifting. I'm still having to take the occasional break to walk for a few seconds and cool down a tad, but the stops are getting much shorter and my running is staying faster.

Running is a very addicting hobby.

I don't run because I wan't to be able to stand when I am in my 60s. However, I often row 5ks on my erg.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-03-18, 9:58 PM #57
Originally posted by Spook:
I don't run because I wan't to be able to stand when I am in my 60s.

Myth

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/does-exercise-contribute-to-arthritis-cinnamon-treatment-for-diabetes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556152/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27333572

Evidence doesn't suggest running is bad for your knees long term.
2018-03-18, 10:06 PM #58
Of course, it's much like other physical activities: if you do have a knee injury, and you try and push through and run anyway, you're going to do more damage and that stuff can build up and create serious problems later. Don't be stupid, take care of yourself, don't push through injuries.
2018-03-18, 10:08 PM #59
I think the myth is generated in part because people who develop injuries as a result of physical activity tend to be vocal about their experiences, so the impression spreads and creates a distorted idea of how prevalent the problems are. Who's going to complain about not having knee pain?
2018-03-18, 10:12 PM #60
People for whom running made them die.
2018-03-18, 10:19 PM #61
Studies have found a correlation between running and being chased down and eaten by cannibals!
2018-03-18, 10:22 PM #62
Although acute injuries from new activities isn't a myth. Your body is super good at optimizing for current activities and ranges of motion. e.g. if you started snowboarding in your teens and kept it up, you'd probably be fine into your 50s or 60s. Pick it up as a new hobby in your 30s and you're probably going to destroy your knees.
2018-03-18, 10:29 PM #63
If the same logic about plasticity applies to brains, would that mean that picking up an entirely incompatible political philosophy in your 30s will destroy your brain? (Conversations with some folks would seem to suggest they are afraid of this much!)
2018-03-18, 10:32 PM #64
One time I foolishly decided to learn as much as I could about a foreign language, on a whim. I went into it way too fast (and didn't stick with it anyway). But when I stopped? I couldn't remember anything else...
2018-03-18, 10:54 PM #65
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Although acute injuries from new activities isn't a myth. Your body is super good at optimizing for current activities and ranges of motion. e.g. if you started snowboarding in your teens and kept it up, you'd probably be fine into your 50s or 60s. Pick it up as a new hobby in your 30s and you're probably going to destroy your knees.

Well, hopefully 26 isn't too late to pick up running.
2018-03-18, 11:06 PM #66

I suppose, if a 30 year old picked it up, started very slowly, and practiced a bunch carefully over a long period, they could slowly build up enough talent to be okay. But if they try to push to the skill level of the teenager in any quick pace, the odds of a serious injury increase dramatically. If I'm understanding you right.
2018-03-18, 11:23 PM #67
Originally posted by Reid:
Of course, it's much like other physical activities: if you do have a knee injury, and you try and push through and run anyway, you're going to do more damage and that stuff can build up and create serious problems later. Don't be stupid, take care of yourself, don't push through injuries.

I started running with body armor in the Marines. I have already been forced to do too much of what you mention.

There's pretty no much no way that erging is going to be higher impact than running no matter your experience and technique though.
2018-03-18, 11:25 PM #68
Reid: Is it really just a matter of skill? I thought he was talking about plasticity of things like muscles and other soft tissue, not just nerves and brain cells.
2018-03-18, 11:27 PM #69
lmao that made no sense

my post i mean
2018-03-18, 11:28 PM #70
It would help if I knew what 'erg' meant.
2018-03-18, 11:34 PM #71
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Reid: Is it really just a matter of skill? I thought he was talking about plasticity of things like muscles and other soft tissue, not just nerves and brain cells.

I guess that's what I meant, skill was a poor choice of word.
2018-03-18, 11:43 PM #72
But maybe skill and care could buy you time to make use of what plasticity was left, without hurting yourself.

At any rate, the fastest way to hurt yourself in any new activity is to persist in some intensity level that seems sustainable until it's not. In this sense every new activity is an experiment, with some experiments being stupider than others, depending on the intensity level.
2018-03-19, 12:06 AM #73
Yeah, like at 30 you can't become a pro snowboarder but I expect with care and patience you could eventually ride the easier slope without too much worry.

Fortunately with running there's not a whole lot of ways to injure yourself or put strain on your body remotely as hard as snowboarding. The worst injuries I can imagine would be like rolling an ankle or overextending a ligament, neither of which seem to threaten doom like a bad accident in another area could.

But the point is, patient increase in my running ability with proper form will not likely have any serious effect on my joint health.

It probably also helps that humans are, like, literally evolutionarily designed to be able to propel ourselves forward with our feet.
2018-03-19, 2:03 AM #74
Humans are also, like, literally evolutionarily designed to do that continuously from birth until death. Take years or decades off, or start up new physical demands in adulthood, and you're already running way out of spec.

Even your bones. When you're still growing, if you stress your bones they'll develop microscopic fractures which trigger your bones to lengthen, thicken, and grow stronger. That process keeps up until you're 30 or so, when your osteoblasts start slacking off - then they replace damaged bone with less bone than was originally there, rather than more.

Soooo yeah. Maybe if you really eased into it, did exercises with a physiotherapist until you built up enough muscle strength and flexibility, you could still do a lot of things. I'm not saying things turn into a complete ****show when you hit 30. But you just aren't gonna build up strength the same way and you'll never be as resilient as someone who's been doing it since they were kids.
2018-03-19, 2:06 AM #75
(Obviously I'm not talking about walking and light running here)
2018-03-19, 6:49 AM #76
Humans are also, like, literally evolutionarily designed to do that continuously from birth until death. Take years or decades off, or start up new physical demands in adulthood, and you're already running way out of spec.

Even your bones. When you're still growing, if you stress your bones they'll develop microscopic fractures which trigger your bones to lengthen, thicken, and grow stronger. That process keeps up until you're 30 or so, when your osteoblasts start slacking off - then they replace damaged bone with less bone than was originally there, rather than more.

Soooo yeah. Maybe if you really eased into it, did exercises with a physiotherapist until you built up enough muscle strength and flexibility, you could still do a lot of things. I'm not saying things turn into a complete ****show when you hit 30. But you just aren't gonna build up strength the same way and you'll never be as resilient as someone who's been doing it since they were kids.

Seems reasonable, I think on an intuitive level we know nobody is going to become a major athlete having started late, and injuries seem more common for older people. But that shouldn't stop people from trying to attain a reasonable level of cardiovascular fitness.
2018-03-19, 8:13 AM #77
I've ran with those minimalist shoes (even those Five-fingers for awhile) since I was around ~22. I've had a learning curve, some early issues and taught myself not to heel strike (important!). I've been told, by regular folks, that running without cushions on pavement will "ruin my knees" ... but running with sneaker cushions hurts me now. I like the front of my foot to take the impact.

I don't immediately buy into the whole "minimalist-running is natural and better!" marketing. But I do like the feel of the ground/grip and not shoe material.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2018-03-19, 8:20 AM #78
(Obviously I'm not talking about walking and light running here)

OTOH, even chewing is subject to this logic.

For example, why do you think that modern human's teeth are so poorly shaped that we literally need to pry them back with metal 'braces'?

Quote:
Selection for jaw length is based on the growth expected, given a hard or tough diet. In this way, diet determines how well jaw length matches tooth size. It is a fine balancing act, and our species has had 200,000 years to get it right. The problem for us is that, for most of that time, our ancestors didn’t feed their children the kind of mush we feed ours today. Our teeth don’t fit because they evolved instead to match the longer jaw that would develop in a more challenging strain environment. Ours are too short because we don’t give them the workout nature expects us to.

https://aeon.co/ideas/its-not-that-your-teeth-are-too-big-your-jaw-is-too-small
2018-03-19, 9:55 AM #79
Ok: official Massassi parenting advice:

Feed your babies shoe leather and make them run until their knees crack.
2018-03-19, 6:11 PM #80
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
It would help if I knew what 'erg' meant.

rowing machine

↑ Up to the top!