Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Social Justice Warriors (come out to play)
Social Justice Warriors (come out to play)
2017-08-07, 10:07 PM #81
I can't comprehend what ****** staring back at me means metaphorically. But I don't like it.
2017-08-07, 10:09 PM #82
After all that time being banned, Koobie really never did figure out how to use emoticons in a non-passive aggressive way.
2017-08-07, 10:10 PM #83
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
After all that time being banned, Koobie really never did figure out how to use emoticons in a non-passive aggressive way.

Is that really what you're most disappointed about?
2017-08-07, 10:16 PM #84
I suggest you get over your massive black-hole ego and take a step back to immerse yourself in Koobie word salad.
2017-08-07, 10:33 PM #85
Koobie, I actually think there is potential for all of us to get along on this forum. But I do think for that to happen, you're going to have to accept that from the way you write your posts, rightly or wrongly, you are coming across as massively insecure. I know this might not be your intention, but that's how I see it. Also, Jon`C might disagree with you harshly, but so what? Try not to take it personally.
2017-08-07, 10:37 PM #86
RJ, I'm quite secure, I assure you. To me Jon'C sounds massively insecure.

Chances are, he feels no less secure than I do.

Where does that leave us?

IN A MASSIVE BLACK HOLE.

That's where.

:)
幻術
2017-08-07, 10:41 PM #87
:downs:
2017-08-07, 10:51 PM #88
Koobie, can you answer one question for me please?

What did "Jon'C MC" mean?
2017-08-07, 10:55 PM #89
This was something I'd said years ago, isn't it? MC as in Emcee, in the rap definition of the word, ie., "Master of Ceremonies, someone who maintains the energy of a room, an entertainer."

I did not mean it as a slur, only that I find our exchanges entertaining.
幻術
2017-08-07, 10:56 PM #90
Oh, okay. Thanks.
2017-08-07, 11:01 PM #91
2017-08-07, 11:03 PM #92
LOL! Honestly, that was not a definition of "MC" I was familiar with.
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:03 PM #93
2017-08-07, 11:04 PM #94
umm, nm.

That next one was a bit NSFW
2017-08-07, 11:08 PM #95
Aka "ninja-foot destroyer"? Whaaat?
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:11 PM #96
i think you figured it out, but honestly that was gross dude

Edit: just to clarify, there's a bit of confusion here. Koobie is referring to a screencap that I deleted because it was NSFWy, and I responded based on the theory that he never saw it and made the phrase up himself.
2017-08-07, 11:15 PM #97
Yeah, that wasn't a very PC example there, but why did they tag "monster cock" as "ninja-foot destroyer"? Googling the term only throws up the Urban Dictionary page.

Foot as in length, not the limb?
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:16 PM #98
OMG I got it.

Because of the ninja sandal thing.
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:17 PM #99
Originally posted by Koobie:
Yeah, that wasn't a very PC example there, but why did they tag "monster cock" as "ninja-foot destroyer"? Googling the term only throws up the Urban Dictionary page.

Foot as in length, not the limb?

You need to be a better Google ninja than that!
2017-08-07, 11:21 PM #100
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Edit: just to clarify, there's a bit of confusion here. Koobie is referring to a screencap that I deleted because it was NSFWy, and I responded based on the theory that he never saw it and made the phrase up himself.

I thought my intended definition MC, as applied to music / performing, is a term most people are familiar with, actually.

If you Google "MC" the intended definition (Master of Ceremonies) is the first thing that comes up.
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:25 PM #101
Yeah, I knew what you meant.

Urban Dicktionary is fun, though.
2017-08-07, 11:26 PM #102
It's like when little kids look up dirty words in the dictionary, but in reverse.

"On the internet, nobody knows you're not a lexicographer."
2017-08-07, 11:28 PM #103
From Young Adult novels and discrimination to video game creation to professional experiences to Monster Cocks in a sitting*.

Only on Massassi.

*Uh...
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:34 PM #104
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Jordan Peterson has a lot of valuable things to say about authoritarianism. Unfortunately - and I feel like I need to make this clear, because the kinds of people who link to his videos mostly don't realize this - he isn't famous for saying those valuable things. He is famous for a history of verbally abusing trans students, and for a very cringeworthy public meltdown about a bill that actually had nothing at all to do with what he was complaining about (although you'd never know that, if you only go by The Rebel and other alt right sources).

Now, I'm not saying you should stop linking to his videos. Like I said, he does have some interesting things to say about his area of expertise (law and trans rights not being among them). But you should probably keep in mind that people are gonna think you're a ****ty alt-right transphobe if you do, so you'd better be okay with that.

TL;DR: Thanks for making Google think I'm in the alt right. Again.

Regarding this, I did some reading and it turns out, this guy has published the names and emails of his critics (and "SJW" faculty) multiple times so they can be held accountable, yet claims he's not responsible for harassment. As well, he claimed a trans student once got "exactly what they deserved" after an online harassment campaign, and used twitter hashtags related to the campaign. So yeah, he's a pretty ****ty person.
2017-08-07, 11:45 PM #105
Wow, that is a very, very ****ty thing to have done if that's true.

I just learnt of him the other night because Joe Rogan linked to him on Twitter, and he said some things I agree with (eg., the fallacy of collective guilt, etc.). He did sound a bit too militant for my taste. I also liked his lecture on scheduling / planning.
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:53 PM #106
Can you quote the sources, please, Reid?
幻術
2017-08-07, 11:59 PM #107
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/jordan-peterson-university-of-toronto-free-speech-crowdfunding/article35174379/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Quote:
Some students held Prof. Peterson responsible, saying they were targeted after the professor showed a letter signed by many of his critics and containing their email addresses.

Quote:
But the professor insists he can't be held responsible for the actions of his supporters. "The only real response is to make the threatening messages public and identify the people who made them and deal with them in that manner," he said. "The mere fact that phenomena emerge that are associated with me does not give me responsibility for them, except in so far as I've said something directly."

Quote:
The comment marked the start of a campaign on that site and on 4chan to identify and publicize the names of the transgender activists. Posters on both sites nicknamed one of them #smugglypuff, a variation on a similar nickname given to a protestor at the University of Massachusetts earlier in the year. Memes of this person – who is alleged to have lied to police about witnessing the assault – and personal insults directed at them still populate the Internet.

Prof. Peterson was aware of the conflicts. On Oct. 14, he tweeted out a video of the incident, tagging it #smugglypuff.

"She [the student] watched the assault, she lied blatantly … She was taken to task on the Internet as a consequence and she got exactly what she deserved," he said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

Quote:
He was similarly outspoken against colleagues. On Oct. 20, 250 people published an open letter in The Varsity asking the university to take action to stop the threats. Prof. Peterson tweeted out the letter signed by this group of colleagues: "A complete list of the 250 most ideologically possessed SJW's at the University of Toronto, compiled by themselves," the tweet said.
2017-08-08, 12:01 AM #108
Also, have you guys heard about the Bret Weinstein case at Evergreen?

That thing erupted into a full-blown riot.
幻術
2017-08-08, 12:05 AM #109
Thanks, Reid.

Also, from what I understand, his opinions are basically driven by his religious convictions ...
幻術
2017-08-08, 12:05 AM #110
Jordan Peterson is a lot like Ted Kaczynski, in a way:

"Industrialization is humiliating and environmentally harmful ... and that's why we need to kill Computer Science professors."
"Using white privilege to dismiss someone is a form of racism ... and that's why we need to persecute trans people."

I'm sure there's some kind of alt right meme buried here, but I'm too cynical to distill it.
2017-08-08, 12:21 AM #111
Oh! Also, apparently he supports GamerGate.
2017-08-08, 12:22 AM #112
Jordan Peterson is a lot like Ted Kaczynski, in a way:

"Industrialization is humiliating and environmentally harmful ... and that's why we need to kill Computer Science professors."
"Using white privilege to dismiss someone is a form of racism ... and that's why we need to persecute trans people."

I'm sure there's some kind of alt right meme buried here, but I'm too cynical to distill it.

If not for the whole murdering mail bombs thing, Kaczynski would be a hero of mine.
2017-08-08, 12:30 AM #113
Originally posted by Reid:
Oh! Also, apparently he supports GamerGate.

"The video is unavailable."

I asked a random (male) gamer / developer what this whole GamerGate was all about at a conference. He exploded into expletives against Zoe Quinn "who made a ****ty game and made it famous off a scandal."

I had a chance to interact with either Zoe or one of her "supporters" on Twitter some time ago who were very rude as well.

So, um, yeah.

Hate breeds hate.
幻術
2017-08-08, 12:50 AM #114
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

a mirror of what he linked.
2017-08-08, 12:55 AM #115
Depending on who you ask, GamerGate is (was?) either about:

- Specific content creators and PR firms trading favors with specific game journalists in exchange for favorable coverage for them and/or unfavorable coverage of their competitors.
- Media corporations and PR firms spinning criticism as a social justice issue, in order to discredit, silence, and intimidate their detractors.

or

- Feminists and other social progressives try to join the game industry, contribute to game culture, criticize games from a progressive point of view.
- Immature/nascent alt right gamers react poorly.

or

- Bunch of angry monkeys (humans) thrown in pit full of **** (twitter).
- Monkeys throw **** (tweets) at each other.

Either way, cussing out Zoe Quinn in public is probably not the best idea.
2017-08-08, 12:59 AM #116
Depending on who you ask, GamerGate is (was?) either about:

- Specific content creators and PR firms trading favors with specific game journalists in exchange for favorable coverage for them and/or unfavorable coverage of their competitors.
- Media corporations and PR firms spinning criticism as a social justice issue, in order to discredit, silence, and intimidate their detractors.

or

- Feminists and other social progressives try to join the game industry, contribute to game culture, criticize games from a progressive point of view.
- Immature/nascent alt right gamers react poorly.

or

- Bunch of angry monkeys (humans) thrown in pit full of **** (twitter).
- Monkeys throw **** (tweets) at each other.

Either way, cussing out Zoe Quinn in public is probably not the best idea.

If you only take away one thing from this post, it's that Twitter is a pit of ****.

I can't wait for someone to regulate this social media bull****. If Facebook is as harmful as cigarettes, Twitter must be as harmful as krokodil.
2017-08-08, 1:03 AM #117
Originally posted by Reid:

Nice, thanks (again).

Basically from what I'd read on the subject, it all started because the dev allegedly had intimate relationships with some people who covered her games, ensuring unfair bias.

It seems a question of ethics; the sex of the person having the sex shouldn't really be a part of it, I'd think.

EDIT: But as Jon'C pointed out, it's been a muddy ride.
幻術
2017-08-08, 1:10 AM #118
If you only take away one thing from this post, it's that Twitter is a pit of ****.

I can't wait for someone to regulate this social media bull****. If Facebook is as harmful as cigarettes, Twitter must be as harmful as krokodil.

So basically, no one's really sure what happened, but it happened.

Yeah, Twitter can be ... unruly.

How do you think people can be made accountable for their actions / words on social media? Perhaps by disabling people's accounts (forever) if somebody expresses (rudely) hate / threats / etc., that go beyond a civilized discussion?
幻術
2017-08-08, 1:13 AM #119
And all the hate and threats that stay within the confines of a civilized discussion can be moved to Google+.
Nobody reads that **** anyway.
:(
幻術
2017-08-08, 1:21 AM #120
Originally posted by Koobie:
So basically, no one's really sure what happened, but it happened.

Well, they kinda are. Here's what happened.

The games media was super corrupt for a really long time. Kickbacks in exchange for good review scores, parties and booze and sex and all of that nasty business. Yet, somehow, the straw that broke the camel's back was... a woman who cheated on her boyfriend. That was the thing people couldn't get past. That was what made people call for firings, and made people boycott magazines and their advertisers. A woman trading sexual favors to advance her own career, rather than, say, cash bribes, like the rest of the industry was already doing.

Today, it's still about that woman. Zoe Quinn, getting cussed out at a party by some neckbeard who'll never even meet her. That's the instigating factor, the thing that people talk about first. Zoe Quinn having sex. The games media has done much shadier things before Quinn's trysts, but the only outrage is in retrospect, paling in comparison to that time a woman ****ed her way to the top.

And somehow we're supposed to believe it's not really about sexism?

Long story short, that's how Trump got elected President.

↑ Up to the top!