Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Computer Science and Math and Stuff
Computer Science and Math and Stuff
2018-08-21, 10:40 AM #1081
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I'm not sure you watched the video, which doesn't have anything to do with pedagogy, and more than anything else is a joke.

I am sorry though that I triggered you by mentioning the term group theory.

Yeah, you triggered me so hard I smashed my glass and went on a monkey rampage crying about your privilege.

No, I just mean everybody always has opinions about why this thing in math is whatever, and half of them are contradictory. Quoting the age-old sage wisdom, "opinions are like *******s, everybody has them and they all stink".
2018-08-21, 11:25 AM #1082
Wow, somebody's bitter.
2018-08-21, 11:26 AM #1083
I am pretty sure Danny was just finding a way to humorously justify his own research program.
2018-08-21, 11:30 AM #1084
Anyway, when you expressed frustration with group theory, I was reminded of Danny's characterization of the study of finitely presented groups as "full of monsters", with almost all interesting questions unsolvable, and how he contrasted the dire situation along that line of research with his own study of "typical" groups, which are much nicer (he says that a typical group is "hyperbolic", which apparently is "the best thing a group can be").

And as a joke, he named these two visions GGT: "Grumpy Group Theory", and "Generic Group Theory".
2018-08-21, 11:33 AM #1085
At any rate, I probably could have avoided setting you off on your little rant about how "people shouldn't have opinions about math" (and apparently not even about their own research program???) by starting the video a few seconds earlier, where he says:

Quote:
And I don't want to suggest that these are competing visions, but they do sit in a funny relation to each other.
2018-08-21, 11:36 AM #1086
Originally posted by Reid:
Yeah, you triggered me so hard I smashed my glass and went on a monkey rampage crying about your privilege.

And yes, I think triggered is the right word here. It sounds like studying group theory has left you with some kind of PTSD (which is where feminists got the word from).
2018-08-21, 11:50 AM #1087
It's more just boredom of meta-level discussion of math. I've been around it for a few years now and used to participate in those kinds of discussion online.

Math is becoming slightly more "job-like" in a sense, so I'm starting to avoid it more in my casual conversations.

Apologies for being snappy.
2018-08-21, 12:31 PM #1088
Once quals are done, which will be tomorrow, every ounce of stress will shift to preparing to instruct calculus next week. I have to prepare a course plan and write a syllabus. ****tt.
2018-08-21, 1:01 PM #1089
It's more just boredom of meta-level discussion of math. I've been around it for a few years now and used to participate in those kinds of discussion online.

Math is becoming slightly more "job-like" in a sense, so I'm starting to avoid it more in my casual conversations.

Apologies for being snappy.

Once quals are done, which will be tomorrow, every ounce of stress will shift to preparing to instruct calculus next week. I have to prepare a course plan and write a syllabus. ****tt.

I completely sympathize. But I still think your response had absolutely nothing to do with what Danny says in the video. And if you really did watch it and still think that, I think you've become a little bit jaded.
2018-08-21, 1:02 PM #1090
so I'm starting to avoid it more in my casual conversations.

The one that you started. ;)
2018-08-22, 11:44 AM #1091
Annnd topology is done. I was stressed beyond worry about differential topology because I often struggle with it. I also understudied it. Fortunately, just knowing the IFT's, Sard's theorem, stuff about regular values, and related definitions helped me stumble through the proofs at least somewhat competently. I made a few false assumptions, so that's going to hurt a bit. Hopefully that plus my generally on point algebraic topology answers will be a passing grade.
2018-08-22, 12:11 PM #1092
hang in there
2018-08-22, 12:18 PM #1093
hang in there

Thank you. All I have to do now is begin preparing for instructing a class and begin reading for my other classes. Oh, and get drunk. Much lower stress.
2018-08-22, 12:20 PM #1094
Alcohol is detrimental to memory, but I suppose that's sometimes what we want.
2018-08-22, 12:35 PM #1095
Not alcohol is detrimental to sanity. It's a balance.
2018-08-22, 1:05 PM #1096
So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years...
2018-08-22, 10:39 PM #1097
https://perens.com/2018/08/22/new-intel-microcode-license-restriction-is-not-acceptable/

Quote:
Intel is updating its loadable CPU microcode to handle various side-channel and timing attacks. There is a new license term applied to the new microcode:

You will not, and will not allow any third party to ... (v) publish or provide any Software benchmark or comparison test results.

Since the microcode is running for every instruction, this seems to be a use restriction on the entire processor. Don’t run your benchmarker at all, not even on your own software, if you “provide” or publish the results.

I guess Intel is pretty scared. This is, what, the 3rd or 4th microcode patch in the last year that drags down Intel CPU performance? Obviously someone is going to publish these benchmarks anyway, and I'm both excited and terrified to see how bad this is going to be given they're threatening to sue anybody who finds out.
2018-08-22, 11:35 PM #1098
Sounds to me like either the lawyers at Intel have no clue about what they are doing, or this is purely an intimidation tactic made in desperation.
2018-08-22, 11:39 PM #1099
The only aboveboard explanation I can think of is that the license was accidentally repurposed from a pre-release version. But honestly, given Intel's recent choices and the kinds of customers most affected by this side channel attack, I would be surprised if it weren't the latter.
2018-08-22, 11:44 PM #1100
I've been reading that recent AMD CPU's have a better performance/price ratio.

I've always been partial to AMD because motherboards for AMD processors sometimes make it possible to run them completely without any proprietary BIOS code at all. I don't think there have been any recent Intel processors where this is even possible.
2018-08-23, 12:03 AM #1101
Basically short version of the story is, certain Intel customers (the Googles and Amazons) have been using their monopolies to pressure Intel to deliver exclusive advance access to their upcoming Xeon chips. They want a perf/watt advantage over their smaller competitors and have been threatening Intel with developing their own ARM server chips to get it.

(Intel's also been pushing this exclusive advance access up the supply chain, which is why I heard about it. It's not secret now but it was when I first heard.)

So here's the problem for Intel.

Most of these recent vulnerabilities - this L1D side channel exploit, Meltdown, etc. - don't really affect we prole end users. Home users will probably never need or want to install this most recent microcode update, because our machines are single user or trusted multiple user. Previous patches only affected syscall heavy workloads, like I/O intensive stuff. The kinds of workloads where you might, just hypothetically speaking, need to purchase a Xeon Platinum for the extra PCI-E lanes. Just for example.

So for the kinds of customers who've done this back door, maybe-antitrust-regulators-ought-to-look-at-this-please deal, it's getting worse. These microcode patches aren't slowing the chips down like... it just takes longer for a certain instruction to finish, or it needs to wait longer to get stuff from memory. They're making the processors do a lot more work and consume a lot more energy to do the same work they used to do. Throughput down, latency up, perf/watt down down down.

No idea what this'll all mean for Intel. Probably nothing good though. Xeons are obscenely overpriced, but for the kinds of high volume companies like Google and Amazon, the price basically does not matter - they want performance/watt, they're limited much more by waste heat than by petty cash, so they're willing to spend any amount to get it. $16-$20k per CPU, quad socket motherboards, whatever. They just don't care. Intel currently dominates the server market and therefore can charge basically whatever they want to Googles and Amazons as long as they continue to cut down perf/watt. The server market is absolutely critical for Intel's survival as a company.
2018-08-25, 10:18 PM #1102
The more algebraic **** you learn in math the more you learn to appreciate category theory. It really boils down to this:

[https://content.spiceworksstatic.com/service.community/p/topic_images/0000009139/586fc772/attached_image/zoEObSb_%281%29.png]

Math without categories

[http://skillprogramming.com/images/pictuers/best_network_cable_speeds.jpg]

Math with categories

Not even going sky-high with the meta-level category theory BS, it's really convenient to have universalized notions. It's nice to see, for instance, the universal property appear in a category. You just know how it works.
2018-08-25, 10:42 PM #1103
A d j o i n t F u n c t o r
2018-08-25, 10:47 PM #1104
You're the morphism now, dog!

[https://www.nap.edu/openbook/0309075726/xhtml/images/p20004846g107001.jpg]
2018-08-26, 10:10 AM #1105
Did Halmos do work in category theory?
2018-08-26, 1:57 PM #1106
(That's Sammy Eilenberg.)
2018-08-26, 2:41 PM #1107
Oh, he looks like Halmos. Eilenberg is definitely the category theory guy..
2018-08-26, 3:26 PM #1108
Halmos would have probably preferred to work directly with matrices: "We [he and Halmos] share a philosophy about linear algebra: we think basis-free, we write basis-free, but when the chips are down we close the office door and compute with matrices like fury."

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Quotations/Kaplansky.html
2018-08-26, 3:42 PM #1109
Also, that's a picture of Sean Category from the little known movie Finding Formalism
2018-08-26, 6:19 PM #1110
I stumbled upon the obituary of Peter Landin, of "The Next 700 Programming Languages" fame (a paper which seems to have stimulated the invention of modern, non-Lisp functional programming languages, such as ML and Haskell).

I was amused to read the following bit, though:

Quote:
In the early days of computing, software written for one make of machine would not run on any other. Computer scientists wanted to define "programming languages" that could be universally understood. That this is normal today – the software of the internet, for example, can run on every kind of computer – is a consequence of Peter's insight that the meaning of a computer program could be pinpointed in mathematical logic and liberated from the control of the manufacturer.

...BUT (emphasis added):

Quote:
Towards the end of his life, Peter became convinced that computing had been a bad idea, giving support to profit-taking corporate interests and a surveillance state, and that he had wasted his energies in promoting it. But whether he liked it or not, his ideas underpin developments to this day.

Instead leaving him time to tend to more important matters:
Quote:
Always bisexual, he threw himself into the politics of the Gay Liberation Front in the early 1970s. He separated amicably from his wife in 1973, and was closely in touch with her and his children till his death. For the rest of his life he pursued gay politics, and his house in Rona Road, Camden, became a gay commune. Always more of a facilitator than an activist, he saw many plots hatched at his dinner parties. Aids: the Musical! was conceived there, as was the reinvigoration of Gay Pride marches in the mid-80s, just in time for the battle over Clause 28.
2018-08-28, 8:31 PM #1111
People who have developed an open-source project, I have a question. There's a package for SublimeText that has a feature I really like and would love to use outside the context of the that package (specifically it's the live preview of math for LaTeXTools, outside of .tex files). However, LaTeXTools has no license on the repo, so I don't know what the etiquette is for reusing the code from the package. Obviously I could do it locally and no one would care, but if I can get it working, I think it might be a useful tool for other people.

My larger vision is to use the inline math preview with the PlainTasks plugin and have a nice todo/notes file that I can write my daily notes in, which frequently include a few equations/mathy expressions.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-08-28, 9:26 PM #1112
Send an email to the owner of the repo?
2018-08-29, 3:43 AM #1113
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
People who have developed an open-source project, I have a question. There's a package for SublimeText that has a feature I really like and would love to use outside the context of the that package (specifically it's the live preview of math for LaTeXTools, outside of .tex files). However, LaTeXTools has no license on the repo, so I don't know what the etiquette is for reusing the code from the package. Obviously I could do it locally and no one would care, but if I can get it working, I think it might be a useful tool for other people.

My larger vision is to use the inline math preview with the PlainTasks plugin and have a nice todo/notes file that I can write my daily notes in, which frequently include a few equations/mathy expressions.

The short version is, they catastrophically ****ed up.

There is no license. By default that means all rights have been reserved by the original authors, which means technically you don’t even have the right to use or redistribute this software. You’d need to contact every single past contributor to secure those rights.

Likewise, in order to apply a license now they’d need written permission from everybody who’s ever contributed to this repository. For a project with no CLA that actively solicits anonymous contributions, this is impossible.

https://github.com/SublimeText/LaTeXTools/issues/1175
2018-08-29, 8:45 AM #1114
lol **** me
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-08-29, 9:43 AM #1115

Holy ****, lmao
2018-09-04, 2:08 PM #1116
Looks like we lost the author of TempleOS to mental illness. :(

(N.b.: strong / racist language in that thread is a reference to Terry Davis' frequent paranoid outbursts about those who were out to get him, probably due to his schizophrenia).

I never tried it, but it looks like a neat little OS in the spirit of Amiga and other minimalist 80's home computer systems.
2018-09-04, 3:44 PM #1117
Relevant insight to Eversor's point about racism being about intent (contrary to the now popular definition of prejudice based instead on words rather than actions):

Originally posted by deft:
Aside from his brazen use of racial slurs how exactly was he racist? His racism always sounded like paranoid nervous talking. He was schizophrenic. Until you can actually show he was racist beyond clips of him using inappropriate language, stop spreading this. Racism is and always has been much much deeper than word choice. A homeless schizophrenic has absolutely no power to enact any kind of racism against anyone, and as a matter of fact was probably victim to a similar amount of discrimination due to his own position.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17913367
2018-09-04, 3:55 PM #1118
Actually, on the other hand, I'd be interested to hear what Eversor thinks of this guy's idea about how to respond to racist comments:

It sounds like he's saying that intent doesn't matter, because we can never really know what the person intended. But then that it is still necessary to chide them for having made a racist remark. But then, is there any room for comedy? And who defines what is acceptable comedy, if we can't trust ourselves to correctly interpret their intent?
2018-09-04, 3:57 PM #1119
maybe the tl;dr is that we can always let people get away with saying racist things so long as they are either schizophrenic or simply assure us it's part of their comedy act
2018-09-04, 4:55 PM #1120
(N.b.: strong / racist language in that thread is a reference to Terry Davis' frequent paranoid outbursts about those who were out to get him, probably due to his schizophrenia).

Site says "don't reveal your power level", contains dozens of people being "ironically racist"

yuh huh

↑ Up to the top!