Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any current or upcoming films you're excited for?
Any current or upcoming films you're excited for?
2023-07-29, 2:19 PM #1
I've mostly sworn off the theater but we have gone a couple times in the past few months. I think the last four films we saw were Sound of Freedom, Nefarious, Spider-man somthing Home with Dr. Strange in it, and Top Gun Maverick and we enjoyed all of those.

I just don't trust Disney anymore with any property so they're unlikely to find me buying any tickets for a film. I've heard that Indy is actually decent but I just decided I'll get Disney+ 2 or three times a year to catch up on things and that'll be that. I did notice that it was far easier to get seats in Indiana Jones than Sound of Freedom and actually had to delay going to get decent seats. I also found that you can watch Sound of Freedom for free at least in the Angel app and maybe on their website. Not sure if that is still available but probably.

Would have liked to see Flash but DC films are so unpredictable quality wise. Actually, it's fairly predictable they will suck. Justice League was decent enough and the Shazam films were okay but that second Wonder Woman was awful and most of the rest were just mediocre. The had a decent enough start with Man of Steel but they still made huge mistakes in that and they were so hurried to compete with Avengers that they just ruined the whole thing. What James Gunn announced awhile back sounds terrible as well. I was never really a huge DC fan anyway but the 70's Superman was great, so was Tim Burton's Batman and Nolan's as well.

My son wanted to watch the new Transformers film but we missed it but now it's streaming already. Crazy, like a week and a half ago I saw it was still in the theater here.

I see that Dune 2 is supposed to come out this year. That will probably be a good one to see in the theater so perhaps. Nothing else seems to standout to me for this year at least.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-07-29, 4:13 PM #2
Dune part 2 is the only thing on my radar. (If they make it a three parter I'll be pissed)

I haven't seen a new film at the theater since the last live action Spider-Man movie you mentioned. I did rent the new D&D movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, makes me wish I'd paid to see it on the big screen.
My blawgh.
2023-07-29, 5:17 PM #3
Rogue Squadron :(
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-07-29, 6:45 PM #4
no
former entrepreneur
2023-07-29, 9:18 PM #5
Dune part 2 and Killers of the Flower Moon
2023-07-29, 9:43 PM #6
going to amend my initial response and add dune 2
former entrepreneur
2023-07-30, 3:31 PM #7
Did you guys enjoy Dune 1 / HBO remake? I was not impressed, it was difficult to sit through, I just kept getting bored :(
2023-07-30, 5:56 PM #8
i liked it, but i get why someone would find it boring. i think it ends up feeling more boring in retrospect because of how unsatisfying the ending it. it makes it feel like everything that happens is kind of pointless
former entrepreneur
2023-07-30, 9:38 PM #9
And if I'm going to watch part 2 I'm going to have to re-watch part 1.

Did anyone watch the show on Amazon called Jury Duty? Not the Pauly Shore one. It was pretty amusing.
2023-07-31, 12:41 PM #10
Originally posted by Brian:
Did you guys enjoy Dune 1 / HBO remake? I was not impressed, it was difficult to sit through, I just kept getting bored :(

I loved it, personally. I definitely can understand the complaint, because ultimately it's a blockbuster stretched out to 5 hours across two movies.

That's the problem Dune has always had in film adaptation though, it's simply too much story to fit into a single movie.
2023-07-31, 12:46 PM #11
i hated dune. the setting is just too unbelievable, a resource essential for transportation found exclusively in a desert populated by a weird religious group being exploited by a corporation under an imperial charter. i prefer my stories to be more grounded.
2023-07-31, 9:16 PM #12

COOL CAT *snap* HE'S THE COOLEST CAT *snap*
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2023-08-02, 9:59 PM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
i hated dune. the setting is just too unbelievable, a resource essential for transportation found exclusively in a desert populated by a weird religious group being exploited by a corporation under an imperial charter. i prefer my stories to be more grounded.

Ok, but what if instead it was a movie about a federal reserve chairperson who accidentally snorts the coke of life, and becomes the ultimate central banker, and deftly manipulates interest rates to create a perfect future where they perfectly controlled every aspect of the galaxy?
2023-08-02, 10:29 PM #14
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Ok, but what if instead it was a movie about a federal reserve chairperson who accidentally snorts the coke of life, and becomes the ultimate central banker, and deftly manipulates interest rates to create a perfect future where they perfectly controlled every aspect of the galaxy?

their mandate is price stability, obi
2023-08-03, 9:24 AM #15

hey wait a minute
former entrepreneur
2023-08-03, 9:25 AM #16
my big problem with dune was that it wasn't woke enough
former entrepreneur
2023-08-03, 9:58 AM #17
Well duh, the part where "The sleeper has awakened!" is in part II.
My blawgh.
2023-08-03, 10:12 PM #18
Jokes aside, I don't think it's very likely for Jon`C to not like Villeneuve's Dune.

Personally, the movie was pretty spectacular, but compared to the book, I dislike the relative paucity of dialog. I understand this is an aspect of Villeneuve's trademark austerity, but I think it's one of the biggest weaknesses of the movie (speaking as someone who strongly connects to dialog heavy, character driven productions of the sort that Scorsase or PTA like to make).
2023-08-08, 10:39 PM #19
their mandate is price stability, obi

So what if prices were stable, but labor discipline was low?
2023-08-08, 11:48 PM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
So what if prices were stable, but labor discipline was low?

then workers would slack off and firms would become less productive, which would reduce the level of supply and in turn causing prices to increase (inflation). fortunately like all other problems, this one can be easily solved by adjusting the overnight rate. after all, as you can plainly see from the preceding explanation, inflation is always a monetary phenomenon.
2023-08-09, 11:06 AM #21
so we all know jon's looking forward to inflation: the movie
former entrepreneur
2023-08-09, 7:29 PM #22
So after my wife left I didn't feel like watching the shows we watch together so I finally watched The Chosen. That show is amazing. Should be considered required viewing.

After that I have now watched:

New Transformers movie:
unremarkable
Newest Guardians of the Galaxy:
Okay
Latest Ant-Man:
meh
Wakanda Forever:
lol
Mando Season 3:
Not as bad as many said but the Jack Black episode was awful
Just started Andor, not much to say yet.

Oh, I noticed Disney+ raised their price but offer a version with commercials. I suppose that will stop people from leaving.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-08-17, 9:03 PM #23
Speaking of Dune, probably haven't watched this in over a decade but I have fond memories of this adaptation: here

2023-08-23, 8:11 AM #24
I re-watched that 2000 version of Dune about a year ago, it still holds up pretty well. I wasn't aware they had also done a follow-on Children of Dune series until fairly recently, so I'll probably give that a watch at some point.
2023-08-25, 11:57 AM #25
Dune just got delayed till March. :(
My blawgh.
2023-08-25, 3:17 PM #26
I would expect a bunch more to be delayed as the strike goes on.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2023-08-25, 4:08 PM #27
A bunch of others did, but I didn't care about those. Life with small kids is like living in fast forward, you exist in a bubble and keeping up is difficult and requires energy I'm spending elsewhere. I think the only films I'm ever aware of are from franchises I follow or recommendations from family or friends.
My blawgh.
2023-08-30, 8:05 PM #28
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
Dune just got delayed till March. :(

I saw this the other day. I wonder if they're scared due to all of the high profile flops. I think this film might have been safe however it'll probably get an HBO Max release quickly, which Disney does as well. Some people that otherwise would have seen Dune in theaters probably decide to just wait a couple months. I think Dune would be a rare film that makes sense to watch on the really big screen.

Got caught up on Andor and just turned off my auto-renew. Like most said, Andor took about half the season to get into. I don't know if I'll watch any Ahsoka yet. I'll only be able to get through the first 3 episodes before my subscription lapses.

Just finished the new Justified mini-series. Pretty decent.

2023-08-31, 6:13 AM #29
I've heard the biggest reason for the delays is the actor and writers strike. Actors aren't doing any promotional bits for their upcoming films which will impact exposure and therefore revenue.
I don't think I'll see Ahsoka until the season is over. I'm busy as hell right now anyway so it works out.
My blawgh.
2023-08-31, 4:13 PM #30
I've got a friend that refuses to start watching until Thrawn shows up :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2023-09-03, 6:35 AM #31
#notmyThrawn

2023-09-04, 9:08 AM #32
Godzilla Minus One

12/1/23 in the US.

2023-09-14, 4:15 PM #33
I dd not care for the first 3 episodes of Ahsoka but I've greatly enjoyed eps 4 & 5. Also I have no idea what Godzilla minus 1 is supposed to be about but all I can think of is Godzilla minus Godzilla, like if they made an edit of that Matthew Broderick movie and deleted all the Godzilla scenes. Like Garfield minus Garfield.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-09-15, 4:42 AM #34
  • Dune Part 2
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • The Creator (Gareth Edwards original scifi)
  • Problemista - Tilda Swinton and that weird guy (also the show-writer) from Los Espookys
  • Zone of Interest - A Jonathan Glazer film about the Nazi commandant at Auschwitz
2023-09-16, 8:58 AM #35
Originally posted by Tracer:
I dd not care for the first 3 episodes of Ahsoka but I've greatly enjoyed eps 4 & 5. Also I have no idea what Godzilla minus 1 is supposed to be about but all I can think of is Godzilla minus Godzilla, like if they made an edit of that Matthew Broderick movie and deleted all the Godzilla scenes. Like Garfield minus Garfield.

To me it looks like a remake of Gojira from 1954. It looks awesome to me. I enjoyed Shin Godzilla as well.

Disney's mismanagement of Star Wars has really turned me off from Ahsoka and I really enjoyed the character in that belated final season of Clone Wars. Of course I can't (legally) watch it right now anyway but I'll catch it in six months or so.

2023-09-17, 11:58 AM #36
huh. i just saw a trailer for the creator
former entrepreneur
2023-09-22, 8:38 PM #37
I missed the sound of freedom but I'm kind of looking forward to denish dsouza police state movie. I mean, it's stuff we already know is going on but it's cool to see from the comfort of my TV
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2023-09-23, 1:01 PM #38
I honestly think you can catch Sound of Freedom on the Angel App for free. Maybe on their website as well, not sure. I'm not sure what the last Dinesh D'Souza film I saw was, it's been years, but looking back it seems that 2016: Obama's America was pretty much right on the nose but it's been 11 years since I've seen it.

2024-01-16, 4:10 PM #39
So I signed up for Apple TV because it was free for three months and Legacy of Monsters was coming out. That was entertaining and mediocre, about what I expected. Ted Lasso on the other hand is an amazing show and I recommend for anyone. Finally started For All Mankind, I think 4 episodes in. Really great as well so far. If you find a deal on Apple TV I say give it a go. I do need to cancel some streaming services though for sure.

2024-01-16, 4:37 PM #40
Did you watch Silo? I read the books back when they were originally published (as books, not as blog posts) and they were so good! I'm afraid to try the show because I don't want to be disappointed.

↑ Up to the top!