Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → third topic, but i figured out somthing and i want to know if i am stupid
third topic, but i figured out somthing and i want to know if i am stupid
2004-01-20, 1:02 PM #1
in the last sagas of dragon ball z the main bad guy is majin buu(spelt boo in japan, a reverse of the typical pronounciations). he was originaly summoned by bibbidi. After being sealed up for a long time, bibbidi's son, babbidi summoned him again.

what does all this mean, I will show you.

bibbidi, babbidi, boo.

look at that, then remember that annoying song from disney's cinderella.

bippity boppity boo.

see the resemblance. I felt so stupid for not realiseing that, just like most of us did when someone pointed out that the days of the week acronym contained "wtf" on it.

in closeing, did anyone else realise this, if you didn't, please post your annoyance at yourself for being so non-observant.

[edit] I realy hate typos.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%

[This message has been edited by alpha1 (edited January 20, 2004).]
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-01-20, 1:03 PM #2
In closeing DBZ sucks.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-20, 1:16 PM #3
I have absolutley no idea what this is about, I saw "bibbidi, babbidi, boo." and got confused [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-20, 1:18 PM #4
that is why we read the whole thing.

It may let us know what later things are talking about.

------------------
2004-01-20, 1:20 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
please post your annoyance at yourself for being so non-observant.</font>

This one time, strangely enough not at band camp, my girlfriend cheated on me and I failed to realise it. That sure sucked.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-20, 1:28 PM #6
i was taking about puns, jokes and other things so obvious you don't notice them.
Also, please talk about what i said.

------------------
2004-01-20, 1:46 PM #7
If you draw the topic back to your own failings, you can't be TOO bright.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-20, 1:50 PM #8
I just knew you would make a smart alec comment checksum.

------------------
2004-01-20, 1:51 PM #9
Well if you ask "am I stupid?" to a group and don't expect smartass answers, then... well come on, you know what I'm going to say.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-20, 1:59 PM #10
You know the part in Monty Python's Holy Grail where the Frenchman calls them "You silly kannigits!" ?

Well, phoneticize and...

k - nig -ts
KNIGHTS!

------------------
"With Great power comes great Responibility. Seems like the converse should be true as well. Now where the heck is my great Power?"
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-01-20, 1:59 PM #11
Yeah, because nobody else wants to risk getting banned just for a chance to zing me. They realised it was a retorical question.

------------------
2004-01-20, 2:01 PM #12
I still don't really see the point. They sound similar. Big deal.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-20, 2:10 PM #13
that is the point.
the person in cinderella says bippity boppity boo when she is using her magic.

Things like that are used in japan for jokes alot. Just look at Aibo. It means friend but is also short for Artificial Intelligence robot

------------------
2004-01-20, 4:14 PM #14
Can you give me 5 really good reasons why exactly I should care?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-01-20, 10:40 PM #15
Wow, you discovered something completely obvious. Well done.

Next you'll be making a topic about how the names of the characters Freezer, Cooler, and King Cold all have something to do with low temereatures.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-20, 11:27 PM #16
HAY I JUST NOTICED THAT DBZ IS ANIME!!11 ISN;T THAT SO COOL?!1?1/1

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-01-20, 11:59 PM #17
I hate to state the obvious (no I truly do) but:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Point 1: phoenix_9286
Can you give me 5 really good reasons why exactly I should care?
</font>

I feel that this is a "well made" and "valid" point. I'll concede the fact that when I saw this topic, my first thought was "Checksum's bound to have posted something..." (not that you're predictable or anything Checksum [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]).

Quote:
Point 2: Checksum
Well if you ask "am I stupid?" to a group and don't expect smartass answers, then... well come on, you know what I'm going to say.
</font>

I've got to hand it to him - rhetorical or otherwise, the man does have a point - we do all poke fun at each other, as its a customary Massassi ritual [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] - look at my sig and gothicX's remark, for example... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

SMOCK!: I'd never noticed that - I thought they were going along the lines of "canny gits" with the term "kannigits" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Just my humble tuppence worth... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
But two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-01-21, 9:46 AM #18
There's stupid jokes like that in all of DBZ. That's why DBZ is stupid. (That, and pointless battling with the same storyline, over, and over, and bloody over again.)

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2004-01-21, 9:52 AM #19
Quote:
days of the week acronym contained "wtf" on it.</font>

Wow. I never realized that. Now that I do, I don't care.

------------------
Interesting Fact: Ivan the Terrible ordered an elephant executed because it failed to bow for him.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-01-21, 11:00 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
Wow, you discovered something completely obvious. Well done.

Next you'll be making a topic about how the names of the characters Freezer, Cooler, and King Cold all have something to do with low temereatures.

</font>

mabey it is more hidden because you need to say all of them.

------------------
2004-01-21, 11:03 AM #21
Excuse me, but what? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited January 21, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-01-21, 12:36 PM #22
The last episode ever of DBZ:

"Who the devil are you?!"

"We're in search of Dragon Balls!"

"Oh for the last time, it's useless for search for dragon balls because Bulma will just crack that whip and you'll lose'em again!"

And so, they all blew up from their newly formed brains. The End.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-21, 12:41 PM #23
WTF is this thread about?

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2004-01-21, 1:26 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mystic0
WTF is this thread about?
</font>

Ermm.... *shrugs* ... "42" ? Maybe even "43", because there's definitely something flawed with this thread...

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
But two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-01-21, 4:39 PM #25
Quote:
mabey it is more hidden because you need to say all of them.

</font>

Hidden? It's not hidden. A blind monkey with dementia would have picked up on the shows litte "quirks" faster than you.

------------------
2004-01-21, 4:44 PM #26
*stabs thread* DIE!

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-01-21, 5:12 PM #27
yes, actually. We (my friends and I used to be into DBZ) noticed it in the MANGA. This is by no means admitting that I read the DBZ Mangas. Screw you.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-21, 6:30 PM #28
Well Lucky Jackpot, it's nice to know I've earned at least a little notoriety around here. :P

Either way, that's a recurring theme in DBZ. Kakkarotto, Vegeta, Gohan, Radditsu, etcetera - all food names. There's several others that I can't even dig up.

Then there's the people who are named after cold stuff, and a whole list of people who are named after crap.

Trunks, Bulma (bloomers), Bra, etcetera.

Noticing it isn't very noteworthy.

------------------
2004-01-21, 6:36 PM #29
alpha1, I didn't notice that, and it is kind of interesting. Probably not a coincidence. Unless of course, Bibbidi and Babbidi were not the names of the characters in Japan.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-01-22, 2:56 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
"Who the devil are you?!"

"We're in search of Dragon Balls!"
</font>

*And everyone dies laughing*

I have never been able to stand anime due to extremely, extremely low effort on the part of the atrists/animators. Seeing this thread, I think I'll have to extend that oppinion to everyone involved in anime, period!

alpha1: See The Count of Monte Cristo (2002), or We Were Soldiers, or A Beautiful Mind. Compare the overall quality of the stuff you watch with the overall quality of these movies. If you care at all, you may just loose all but a passing interest in DBZ and the like. This will be a good thing, as it will save you thousands of dollars in therapy costs later. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-22, 3:34 AM #31
... You're comparing Dragon Ball Z to... A Beautiful Mind? Right, and I don't like broadway because Rambo is more entertaining. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Dragon Ball Z is anime from the late 80's. A Beautiful Mind is an American film from the early.. um, 00's? They're from two different ereas, two different genres, two different countries and can in no way be compared. As goes for The Count Of Monte Cristo and We Were Soldiers.

Dragon Ball Z (especially Dragon Ball) is supposed to be stupid at times. That's the whole part of the show. It's the deal with a whole lot of Animes. That's the style of a fair few Japanese cartoons and mangas.

I don't know what you're talking about by saying you don't like anime because of what you call "extremely low effort" of the animators - Dragon Ball Z was made years ago. Watch ANY cartoon from that time (Scooby Doo, The Flinstones..) and their animation quality isn't exactly award winning material - and the stories aren't exactly a whole lot more in-depth, either.
A lot of animes have low budgets, too. Take a look at Neon Genisis - that anime had a rather low budget, and they pulled off a fantastic series.

------------------
2004-01-22, 5:52 AM #32
Yes, go watch the Great Saiyaman saga from DBZ and get ready to laugh. Or the episode where Goku and Piccolo have to learn to drive a car and Piccolo looks like a Backstreet Boy.

[http://64.224.18.25:80/dbz_new/sagas/big/1100.jpg]
------------------

[This message has been edited by THRAWN (edited January 22, 2004).]
2004-01-22, 6:12 AM #33
Guess what? DBZ had it's good moments, and some nice things.

Guess what again? The original Dragon Ball-series though owns DBZ, and the manga Dragon Ball (which is both DB and DBZ) owns them all!

Guess also what? DBZ was very badly dubbed in America. Thus it has created again a very bad image of anime in America.

Guess also again what? There are thousands of times more better manga and anime series than any Dragon Ball?

And finally guess what?

First episodes of the original DB (first chapters of the manga series)... pure gold...silver...bronze..however, something that I enjoyed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-22, 6:19 AM #34
Guess what? DBZ had it's good moments, and some nice things. Not really.

Guess what again? The original Dragon Ball-series though owns DBZ, and the manga Dragon Ball (which is both DB and DBZ) owns them all! DB manga is pretty shabby for a manga. It's like the took the show and added in more crappy bald man humor

Guess also what? DBZ was very badly dubbed in America. Thus it has created again a very bad image of anime in America. That isn't it..really.. The show sucked in japanese just as much. A show doesn't change in animation and plot based on a dub.

Guess also again what? There are thousands of times more better manga and anime series than any Dragon Ball? Yes...THOUSANDS. Most anime shown on TV sucks...MOST. Pokemon WTF is that?!?!? Any show with children and there animals should die! Monster Rancher and Digimon BLEH!! Go rent some anime or buy it...but the TV just slaughters it

And finally guess what? DBZ sucks?

Go watch Bebop...ALL OF YOU!

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 22, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-22, 6:27 AM #35
I don't even bother trying to "defend" DB/DBZ...

...since Cowboy Bebop just owns it.

Cowboy Bebop is greatest anime series ever, and also one of the best series from the 90's (CB was made in 1998) and I really enjoy every second of it.

I think everyone should see CB to see something good.

[sarcasm]
But no! IT'S ANIME!! OMG LIEK ITS JAPANESE CATROON OMG LIEK IT SUCKSSZZZ CUZ ITS ANIME JOO SOCK SOCK SOCK GO TO HELL[/sarcasm]

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

And if someone misunderstands me... bleh.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-22, 7:02 AM #36
http://www.dbzgtlegacy.com/namepuns.shtml

Take a look (a couple pop-ups), and you'll find their is a pun to every name in DB. The translators must've been really hungry while naming the characters. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-01-22, 7:57 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
... You're comparing Dragon Ball Z to... A Beautiful Mind?</font>

I was talking in the "what should I spend my precious time watching" sense. You have the same decision, so I meant nothing against you who watch it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't know what you're talking about by saying you don't like anime because of what you call "extremely low effort" of the animators - Dragon Ball Z was made years ago. Watch ANY cartoon from that time (Scooby Doo, The Flinstones..) and their animation quality isn't exactly award winning material - and the stories aren't exactly a whole lot more in-depth, either.</font>

Okay, now follow alpha1's example and compare it to Disney's Cinderella. (Yeah, I know- budget)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
*stabs thread* DIE!</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia

[This message has been edited by Yen (edited January 22, 2004).]
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-22, 8:21 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
That isn't it..really.. The show sucked in japanese just as much. A show doesn't change in animation and plot based on a dub.</font>

The American (CN or whatever) dub of Card Captor Sakura was cut up worse than an emo kid, efficently changing the plot.

But we're talking about DBZ here.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-01-22, 1:07 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
alpha1, I didn't notice that, and it is kind of interesting. Probably not a coincidence. Unless of course, Bibbidi and Babbidi were not the names of the characters in Japan.

</font>

they were. however, there were fansubbers that don't seem to speak any japanese at all and somehow heard those names as biddidi and baddidi. it is even worse than those who assume that all uses of the "r" sound in japanese are supposed to be an "l"

------------------
2004-01-22, 1:09 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
Yes, go watch the Great Saiyaman saga from DBZ and get ready to laugh. Or the episode where Goku and Piccolo have to learn to drive a car and Piccolo looks like a Backstreet Boy.

[http://64.224.18.25:80/dbz_new/sagas/big/1100.jpg]
</font>

the one where they learn't to drive was a filler. so it should not be used to judge anime as it was just another toie money grab.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!