Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Favorite Guitarist
Favorite Guitarist
2004-05-20, 3:31 AM #1
Post your favorite guitarist. List the band he belongs to just so everyone can have a reference as to what he sounds like (not everyone knows alot of guitar players).

I can't say that I really have one favorite, but here are some of my favorites:

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
Randy Rhodes of Ozzy Osbourne's Band
Steve Vai of... well he's been in many bands.
Carlos Santana of... er... Carlos Santana
Jimmi Hendrix of the Jimmi Hendrix experience (especially his woodstock performance)
Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society
Kirk Hammet of Metallica
Angus Young of AC/DC
Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine
Brian May of Queen
Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen (Any time a band is named after a guitarist, you know he's good.)
Slash of Guns and Roses

That's all I can think of right now. These guys are my inspiration as a guitarist. Tell me who you like.

Also, what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=5937559
2004-05-20, 3:45 AM #2
John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani.

------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-05-20, 3:48 AM #3
In befo da move!!

He's not a guitarist, but Les Claypool from Primus.

Sue me, I'm a bass player [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-05-20, 3:48 AM #4
Wrong forum.

But I'm a fan of:

Dave Matthews
Tim Reynolds
Leo Kottke
Mason Williams
Dan Ross
Richie Sambora
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Mayer (just guitar, not his vocals)

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember. But I just woke up. Guitar is fun.

Hendrix should NOT be the number one guitarist. Yes, he introduced the world to loud, distorted, and often dissinant sound, but as far as skill and technique the man was nothing more than mediocre. Jimmi can suck it.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited May 20, 2004).]
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-20, 3:57 AM #5
1) Jimmy Page
2) Jimmi Hendrix
3) Tony Iommi
4) Eric Clapton

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-20, 4:05 AM #6
In no particular order:

- Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi, he's underrated because the songs which make it big tend to be the power ballads which don't show off his ability.

- Brian May of Queen, completely unique sound, can make something incredibly slow sound beautiful

- Slash of Guns N' Roses, has created some of the best riffs and solos of all time
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-05-20, 4:20 AM #7
Matt Bellamy - Muse
I think Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead is way underrated, too.

If we're talking playing air guitar along with the music, well you cant really go past Slash - Guns N Roses

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-20, 4:33 AM #8
Stevie Ray Vaughn...I absolutely LOVE his style.

He's dead now, isn't he?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-20, 6:28 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da_Roosta:
Stevie Ray Vaughn...I absolutely LOVE his style.

He's dead now, isn't he?

</font>

Helicoptor crash. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Sad indeed.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-20, 7:07 AM #10
Les Claypool and Buckethead.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-20, 8:31 AM #11
Brian May
The Edge, to me he redefined what the guitar was all about.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-20, 10:20 AM #12
the rolling stone list is a piece of ****. They dont even have Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, or Yngwie Malmsteen in the top 100 best guitar players of all time. Also, Randy Rhoads is down at 85, Eddie Van Halen at 76. KURT KOBAIN AT 12? WTF? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-05-20, 10:45 AM #13
Tom Morello does some amazing stuff. I like John Frusciante as well

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited May 20, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-05-20, 10:46 AM #14
Any guitarist who makes decent music is a favourite in my book, I don't really care for names or personal statistics.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-05-20, 11:00 AM #15
The biggest problem with the Rolling Stone list is people like Kurt Kobain being on there at all. He doesn't belong on that list. He's not a great guitarist at all. A friend of mine once put it like this:

"A bridge is used when a guitarist is too inept to play a solo."

Who does that sound like?

------------------
Some say "why".....
I say "why not"
-Me
2004-05-20, 11:30 AM #16
That quote is so very wrong...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-05-20, 12:30 PM #17
Tito Jackson...

and BTW it's Jimi Hendrix not Jimmi

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-20, 1:30 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
He's not a guitarist, but Les Claypool from Primus.

</font>

------------------
"I sound like angry chickens, or maybe a space robot."
-Les Claypool of Primus
2004-05-20, 2:46 PM #19
Not in any real order. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan,Eddie Vedder, Johnny Ramone,Pete Townshend,and Steve Vai. Guitarists from these bands also,(unsure of names) Lifehouse,and The Clash

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-05-20, 4:10 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by greenboy_009:
Not in any real order. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan,Eddie Vedder, Johnny Ramone,Pete Townshend,and Steve Vai. Guitarists from these bands also,(unsure of names) Lifehouse,and The Clash

</font>

Lifehouse is:
Jason Wade, vocals, guitar
Sergio Andrade, bass
Rick Woolstenhulme, drums
Sean Woolstenhulme, guitar

And Mick Jones was the lead guitar for The Clash

Google works wonders.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."

[This message has been edited by Da_Roosta (edited May 20, 2004).]
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-05-20, 4:48 PM #21
James Maynard Keenan

Okay, so he's not a guitarist. He's still my favorite.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-05-20, 5:38 PM #22
Jim Hall...

------------------
Flibbledy-dibbledy! Nyaaaaaaaahhh!

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-05-20, 7:37 PM #23
The Clash is Joe Strummer. Or was he the singer/rhythm? Eitherway, Strummer just recently died... like in the past year.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-20, 10:08 PM #24
Not everybody likes solos... and just because its complex, that doesn't automatically make it good. My friend was once playing some music to me and I said something along the lines of "this sucks"... his response was "do you know how difficult that is to play?!?"

"Nope, don't care".

------------------
2004-05-21, 3:27 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
Not everybody likes solos... and just because its complex, that doesn't automatically make it good. My friend was once playing some music to me and I said something along the lines of "this sucks"... his response was "do you know how difficult that is to play?!?"

"Nope, don't care".

</font>

I'm with you. No matter how difficult a guitar solo/pattern is to play...If it sounds like crap, it more than likely is crap.

------------------
2004-05-21, 5:25 AM #26
True, but a solo is basically expected from a lead guitarist. It doesn't really matter how simple it is, do a solo. Billie Joe from Green Day can do a solo, so can anyone else. Some solo's do sound utterly horrible, and then again those guitarists shouldn't even be holding a guitar to begin with. The point is, sure a rhythm guitarist is cool, just as long as you have a lead guitarist playing along with him. It's like making a movie with only one camera angle and basic english as opposed to dramatic angles and Tarantino dialogue. You need that complexity.
2004-05-21, 5:32 AM #27
Why not create complexity through another means? Guitar solos have been overdone to the point of boredom... listen to the dillinger escape plan/mike patton ep for an example of insanity guitar work with a lack of solos for the most part (i cant remember completely... its too much to take in).

------------------
2004-05-21, 8:44 AM #28
B.B King for the blues enthusiasts

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-05-21, 9:06 AM #29
I think you're missing the point of having improvisation in a song. Soloing is a chance for the band members to really have some fun with the song - the best description I heard of an improvised solo was "your melodic fantasies brought to life," and that's more or less bang-on.

Plus calling something "crap" all depends on how advanced musically you are. I used to get nothing out of bebop (fast jazz), but as I got better I started to like it.

------------------

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-05-21, 9:14 AM #30
My band play entire jam sessions, we don't solo (we don't have a particular key) and it still comes off great... I just think for the most part they're excessive, overused and kinda like showing off.

And about complexity, I listen to lots of musically complex compositions, and I also hate a lot of it too (Metallica come to mind).

------------------
2004-05-21, 9:18 AM #31
You're missing the point though. Steve Vai can solo like no one I have ever seen, but Jimmy Page is still a better guitarist. Technical ability doesn't make a soloist good, quality of the solo in correspondance with the rest of the song makes the soloist good. Follow?

------------------
I don't think you really want to read this anyway.
2004-05-21, 11:02 AM #32
no

------------------
2004-05-21, 5:10 PM #33
Ok fair enough. I think if you're good enough to do one of these mad solo's then go ahead and do it, just as long as it fits with the rest of the song.

------------------
2004-05-21, 7:26 PM #34
Peter Buck from REM because I like the music that comes from his guitar while he plays it.

Johnny Marr from The Smiths, Electronic, The The, and Johnny Marr and the Healers because he's awesome and stuff. He does some interesting layering with chords and I like his jangly style. He's also very versatile.

George Harrisson from The Beatles because he just ruled.

Mick Ronson, who worked with David Bowie during the Ziggy Stardust period and on Lou Reed's album Transformer. He also did other stuff, but I don't know much about it. I just like his style.

Daniel Ash from Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, and Tones on Tail because he was just so cool. He often had a mimimalist style (especially with Bauhaus and Tones on Tail). There's even a Tones on Tail song where he only plays two notes over and over throughout the song.

Django Reinhardt because saying so will earn me cool points [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
Actually, I really do like his music. I haven't heard anything by him that's struck me yet though.

Chuck Berry. He did some mighty fine riffs.

Lou Reed. I believe he is known for saying something like if God were to tell him he could do anything he wanted, he would still choose playing rhythm guitar.

The Rolling Stone article is actually better than I thought it would be. They usually put currently popular people on it only. They're still doing it, but it's not quite as bad.
I'm assuming that Jimi Hendrix is number 1 because there's a picture of him and then number 2. I'd say he deserves the number 1 place.

It's interesting to see Robert Johnson so high on the list. I keep meaning to listen to more of his stuff because I've only heard one song of his.

I'm really surprised to see Johnny Ramone on there.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Hendrix should NOT be the number one guitarist. Yes, he introduced the world to loud, distorted, and often dissinant sound, but as far as skill and technique the man was nothing more than mediocre. Jimmi can suck it.</font>

You can suck it. Jimi reinvented the guitar and made music that actually sounds good. He's way better than Yngwie Malsteen.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead is way underrated, too.</font>

I'd hardly call him underrated. My impression that he's pretty well recognized for his guitarism. I think he's like this generation's Daniel Ash.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the rolling stone list is a piece of ****. They dont even have Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, or Yngwie Malmsteen in the top 100 best guitar players of all time. Also, Randy Rhoads is down at 85, Eddie Van Halen at 76. KURT KOBAIN AT 12? WTF? </font>

It's actually the best list I've seen in a mainstream publication. I love Kurt, but I agree that he doesn't really belong there. It's just common practice nowadays to put him on those lists.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"A bridge is used when a guitarist is too inept to play a solo."</font>

Wow, your friend doesn't sound like the type I'd agree with, to put it nicely. Kurt Cobain did plenty of solos. If you want good bridges, listen to The Beatles.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by greenboy_009:
...Johnny Ramone...
</font>

Now I'm curious. Why do you say Johnny Ramone? I like the Ramones quite a bit, but I never thought of them as particularly adept musicians.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not everybody likes solos... and just because its complex, that doesn't automatically make it good. My friend was once playing some music to me and I said something along the lines of "this sucks"... his response was "do you know how difficult that is to play?!?"

"Nope, don't care".</font>

Septic, that post right there and your post earlier in this thread are doubleplus good.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why not create complexity through another means? Guitar solos have been overdone to the point of boredom... listen to the dillinger escape plan/mike patton ep for an example of insanity guitar work with a lack of solos for the most part (i cant remember completely... its too much to take in).</font>
This one too.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think you're missing the point of having improvisation in a song. Soloing is a chance for the band members to really have some fun with the song - the best description I heard of an improvised solo was "your melodic fantasies brought to life," and that's more or less bang-on.

Plus calling something "crap" all depends on how advanced musically you are. I used to get nothing out of bebop (fast jazz), but as I got better I started to like it.</font>

You've got a point, but I think soloing shouldn't be the focus of a song, but sort of like icing on the cake. It depends on what style you're listening to.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-21, 7:49 PM #35
Kenny Wayne Shepard, Johnny Lang

------------------
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

-Tazz
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-05-21, 8:50 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dry gear the frog:
Now I'm curious. Why do you say Johnny Ramone? I like the Ramones quite a bit, but I never thought of them as particularly adept musicians.</font>

Simply because i like his tone, and ability too make things sound really good, but not be complicated at all.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-05-22, 5:01 AM #37
3 Chord wonders do have a tendancy to be cool.

------------------
2004-05-22, 9:46 AM #38
Let's see here my favs are

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Daivd Gilmour
Steve Howe
Terry Kath- He was the guitarist for Chicago. Hendrix himself said Terry was better than him. One of the most underrated players of all time.
Brian May
Joe Walsh

Runners up
Dave Matthews
Tim Reynolds
Lindsey Buckingham.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-05-22, 10:41 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Simply because i like his tone, and ability too make things sound really good, but not be complicated at all.</font>

Ah, okay. I should have known that.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-05-22, 11:34 AM #40
Meh. There's more to guitar than rock.

------------------

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!