Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → What is the Best Guitar Brand?
What is the Best Guitar Brand?
2007-11-07, 12:05 PM #1
What guitar brand do you think is the best and why?? What makes it better to play to buy own? TELL ME!!
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2007-11-07, 12:52 PM #2
Best, as in price, sound, looks, or what? The best guitar is the one that "feels right" when you play it. And your second question doesn't make any sense, so I dunno.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-07, 1:49 PM #3
Its just your opinion i gereral
2007-11-07, 6:56 PM #4
Daisy rock is best, cause they make flowers and butterflies.

o.0
2007-11-07, 7:00 PM #5
That's my cue right?

I love Godin, mainly 'cause they're built here in quebec, and when you can actually play, they're wonderful workhorses. i've done everything from death metal to pop rock with mine and it does it all very well.

best brand? tough say. every brand has a good model nowadays. it,s a matter of marketing. of course, i'd never say no to a good old gibson or fender at a fair price, but there's no such thing as a best brand.

take it from someone who actually works in the music field ;)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-13, 10:58 PM #6
Carvin make some of the best guitars around ... or so they say. I've never had a chance to play one. :(

I currently have a Schecter Hellraiser and I love the damn thing.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2007-11-14, 4:13 AM #7
If the guitar fits shoe it mother****er.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-14, 12:07 PM #8
I tihnk its all about the Gibson SG or the Exploror
2007-11-14, 8:00 PM #9
likely because you haven't tried any of those yet.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-14, 8:52 PM #10
Or maby cu zi own both of them
2007-11-14, 9:16 PM #11
i own a cheap ibanez. I hate it. I own a pretty good tacoma acoustic, and I <3 it. But I'm not sold on Tacoma as a brand. A good guitar is a good guitar.. brands don't really matter.

o.0
2007-11-15, 1:28 AM #12
I have a Gibson Exploror and SG, my fav's and then i have an hammer a harmony a dean, a 7str washburn, a Bc Rich (the dagger semi hollow body), falcun, raven, a MLX Dean, an Ltd ESP bass, a washburn acoustic (i hate it), and a telleno classical guitar

Equipment is a *800 watt* Full stack thath almost as big as me ( im 6'2") with behringer cabs, and a Crate head, No tube head tho :( thaths lame.....
2007-11-15, 1:39 AM #13
how old are you?

EDIT: I thought about posting more in this thread, but I don't want to waste my time flaming you.

o.0
2007-11-15, 7:05 AM #14
Why the hell would you ever need 800 watts? :P

Unless playing a festival?
nope.
2007-11-15, 2:08 PM #15
im 18, and u dont NEED an 800 watt full stack, its just cool to have, i dont even have a dead to put out that much i have 2 crate heads one is 120 and the other is 300 :gonk: so yah, id say my whole ric costs me at LEAST 5G's or so. I play lot of shows, an i like to have a lond amp, but no "Festivles" as you said.....
2007-11-15, 2:41 PM #16
Type much?
2007-11-15, 4:23 PM #17
yeesh.

wouldn't ever spend a dime on Crate.

and you know, 30 watt with tubes can outplay alot of that "800w" stuff... (yeah right, 800W at 1khz the highest resonant frequency when it's really around 200-300 w program. gotta love marketing.. -_- )
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-15, 7:27 PM #18
The only really good guitars are vintage. Old surf Fenders and the like. Duosonics, Jags, Mustangs, beautiful stuff. Gibson Firebirds, old SGs. But I guess you guys aren't the crowd for that. :P

Originally posted by Seb:
and you know, 30 watt with tubes can outplay alot of that "800w" stuff...

que eff tee

Not to mention that the tubes sound best when they're all hot and cranked up.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-11-15, 7:29 PM #19
well, yah the original stuff is the best, just like the amps form back in the day, but i cant spend that much money, i wanna have something that will last me a whole instead of **** out in a year or so, or not know when it will for that metter
2007-11-15, 7:34 PM #20
Truth is, if you buy a second-hand vintage guitar for a little cheaper because some of the finish is damaged, you'll most likely have a guitar that's been played on and cared for for a long time. A good model will only have improved over time. The sound is what matters. It'll probably last you half a lifetime longer than some re-issue or cheap Japanese crap.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-11-15, 7:52 PM #21
when i comes down to it, like you said, its all about the sound, i play for the post part Death Metal and black metal and their s so much distortion most of the time, that its not really sounding diffrent, the times one ould need to bring out the "big guns" is for clean pretty studio stuff, www.myspace.com/iaminverted is my music, thaths clean, BUT, at the time of rec. them i only had a red dean and a B.C.Rich semi hollowbody dagger. and i think that it sounds good, its just the rec. quality thaths bad, (i did everything myslef by the way paino and guitar and vox), but im getting off the point, whic is....um....O YAH! all the guitars for like the last 10 years are form japan of some crap like that, which sucks, things break eiser and they play worse. everyone knows NOW that B.C.Rich guitars are possible the WORST guitar you can buy. verything is off on it the neck is retarded and by the time the strings are over the 12th fret theres like and inch of action (which is i hate), if you find like a 20 year old BC rich, youll probibly like it, my point again is: Now guitars are lame cuz their made in japan or china or tiwan or korea or some other lam place....
2007-11-15, 10:57 PM #22
If you have so much distortion that playing style/guitars don't sound any different.. somethings horribly wrong. It doesn't matter where a guitar is made.. just how well it's made. Also, dear god please learn to type.

o.0
2007-11-16, 6:16 AM #23
Originally posted by Greenboy:
It doesn't matter where a guitar is made.. just how well it's made. Also, dear god please learn to type.

+1
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-16, 7:33 AM #24
That is true, but the thing is is that its made bad out of the country, those guitars arnt made well and they will break like its nothing, :tfti: <thaths what its about, plus, yah if you put enough distortion on something, they will all sound similer, im not saying its the same, but very alike....

P.S. - Sorry but i obviously suck at typing, the only thing that makes it better is practice...:argh:
2007-11-16, 9:27 AM #25
Originally posted by Seb:
yeesh.

wouldn't ever spend a dime on Crate.

and you know, 30 watt with tubes can outplay alot of that "800w" stuff... (yeah right, 800W at 1khz the highest resonant frequency when it's really around 200-300 w program. gotta love marketing.. -_- )

I agree with the Crate comment. ;_;

Also, 5 grand on solid state? Ouch.
nope.
2007-11-17, 10:09 AM #26
Personally, I myself like Jacksons. I'm going to get me a Jackson Kelly soon. :v:
[http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/JacksonKE3.jpg]
Yum.
Ferr1s b3ull3r, j00 r my h3r0!
2007-11-17, 11:11 AM #27
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
well, yah the original stuff is the best, just like the amps form back in the day, but i cant spend that much money, i wanna have something that will last me a whole instead of **** out in a year or so, or not know when it will for that metter

You blew 5gs on substandard equipment, but couldn't afford a vintage guitar?

What the ****?

Also no offense, but you need to focus on guitar and get a new vocalist. It's not bad, but if I'm not mistaken you blatantly ripped the riff on A Cold Dark Winter from either Shadows Fall or Avenged Sevenfold. The rest of the stuff hurt my soul to listen to, and not in the "HOLY **** THIS IS DEATH METAL" way, more in the "Why, god why" way, so I can't honestly tell you anything about it.
D E A T H
2007-11-17, 12:18 PM #28
This wasn't actually death metal, like I was expecting. Here's a few suggestions, though.

You need to focus on getting good at thing before trying to work on something else. You also would have been better off spending that amount of money on quality equipment.

When you practice, make sure that you practice with a metronome. Your tempo seems to fluctuate, and not everything you play is right on.

The tones you are using for your guitar don't do much for me. Part of this, I'm sure, is the recording, however, a lot seems muffled in the distortion and the equalization. Seems like a lot of bass and treble, but no mids.

One last thing. Make sure you have the intonation of your guitar set up properly and make sure it's tuned properly. Your higher strings were a tad off.
2007-11-17, 12:51 PM #29
When i said 5 grand, i ment on EVERY thing i have, not just my amp, but all my guitars, as far as the comments on the music, i thnk you all for listenning to it any, i totally agree with what your saying about everything, when i went to recod something, i never really HAD sometihng i wrote and already wanted, it was more of a spur of the moment thing, all the solo's are improvised, and thats one reason everything gets off key, the comment about shadows fall and avenged sevenfold, i dont listen to nor do i like either of them, so i couldent possibly rip it off, im not saying they dont have a song that sounds like it, its just i wouldent know if it did, yah i use sonor rec, so its not the best, and i used a ****ty MIC, like one of those chat mic's to rec all the everything, so thaths another excuse for ****ty quality, u have a usb mic, a snowball mic that costs me $160, but i cannot get it to work, and i havent made an effort to try, all in all, my point is thank you very much for all the comments, i really really actually care about all of that and will try my best in the future to adress this, thank you
2007-11-17, 9:09 PM #30
it's all part of the learning process. cut the guy some slack.

you're off key when improvising because you don't have any harmony theory. no scales, don't know what scale works over what chord. and then how to build chords. knowing all three is a big help for improvisation. if you plan to do it meaningfully at least.

metronome too, lots of it. and maybe trying to record your songs to a click track, already would be a big improvement.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-17, 11:31 PM #31
meh.. i have an Ibanez.. upgrading to a Schecter soon
i write music and record it as well... dont have much money to spend on it however.. got a line6 toneport and it works perfect for my recording needs.. just plug your guitar in and record straight in to cakewalk
2007-11-18, 2:12 AM #32
I have a Schecter. I like it because it's my first guitar.
2007-11-19, 11:25 AM #33
What i want for my next guitar is not really brans name, but certain things, 24 jumbo frets, EMG pickups, And the lowest action i can find, i WAS looking at the Scherter Damien, NOT the one w/ the FR, i HATE FR'es all they are are a pain in my ***, but yah, anyone know a good guitar i can get, in know i can PUT in EMG's later, but thaths a pain in my behind, i just wan it to come with it, like i said any ideas?
2007-11-19, 11:28 AM #34
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewayemgp.html you don't -really- need 24 frets.

but if you do

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinredline1p.html
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-19, 12:39 PM #35
WOW, thank you, i like the first one best, but i dont know how much it is, it dosent say, i know i dont NEED 24 frets, but the only guitar i have w/ 24 frets out of my 12 guitars is the 7-str Washburn, which i have tuned at A (The only reason i have this guitar is from the days when i liked KoRn, :( so i NEVER use it, there isint really a band that i listen to that has 7-str so its basicly wasted space. I WANT a 24 fret cuz the only thing i can really do is "Solo" with basicaly the B and E string's, i mean i know the panitonic scale and stuff i know som of the major and minor scales, but idk how to explaeing it, i just want 24 frets, All im going to be playing w/ this guitar is basicly metallica, form the thrashiy Master of Puppets to the slow to fast One, thank you for your help
2007-11-19, 1:45 PM #36
I own two Godin's personally and have these in my store as well. they rock. a student of mine bought the Freeway EMG and it's really killer. nice solid maple neck.

the redline is a bit less versatile but if you want a balls out guitar, go for it. it's also much cheaper. Retail for the freeway is around 800-900 CAD and the Redline goes for about 600. i don't know about USD. musicians friend may have a good clue..

(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Redline-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=513755)
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Freeway-EMG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512267)

if you want to trash, go for the redline. nice neck, ala ibanez, short scale so it's easy to do all these stretches and mad pinch harmonics. and it's well built.

if you want something different, LG EMG. it's like a les paul with EMG's but without the archtop http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-LG-EMG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512266
and the EMG 85 really makes the guitar sing on clean tones...

also, great bargain http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=286&CollectionID=18

it sells for around 250 CAD.. a friend of mine bought one of these and i swapped the pickups with a seymour duncan dimebucker on the bridge and a '59 on the neck. my god. that's all i can say. at that price, buy a Zakk Wylde pickup set and have a qualified tech install it and you have a 24 fret guitar with EMG's for the same price and maybe cheaper than one with stock EMG's.

and of course, you don't need EMG to rip. that's a guitar i'm looking at personally if that can convince you to check it out
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Tony-Iommi-Signature-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518555
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-19, 8:29 PM #37
From what i heard form ppl that play and such, and idk if this is true, but i head that EMG's are the best pickups for metal, now being in the busniss, is this true? The two other things that i forgot to mention are that i REALLY REALLY NO NOT want any typ of les paul style, and a i was also looking for a thrugh neck...
2007-11-19, 8:31 PM #38
Tony Iommi signiture, im not one for signitures, but this one looks kool , the only thing is i try to stay away from epiphone and squire and stuff
2007-11-19, 8:49 PM #39
you're mistaken to stay away from epiphone. they're a great brand with alot of quality for the price. their '59 Korina flying V gives the Gibson Faded V a good run for their money.

best pickups for metal? depends how you play. EMG's active circuitery hides alot of flaws in playing so i suppose it's true, higher gain means more compression means it's easier to play because there's less dynamics... but then, are less dynamics really that good of a thing?

stop listening to what people say. try it out and see for yourself. that's how you learn. I have a 2k$ ESP and two 500$ godins. all of them get equal playing time. less flash and look, sure. but same playability, for 1500$ less...

i've given you some hints. time to do some digging of your own.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-20, 11:39 AM #40
Thanks alot, i really appreciate all your doing for me, ill look into all the **** you were talking about, thanks much

↑ Up to the top!