Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → A nice terrain by Bryce5
A nice terrain by Bryce5
2003-08-04, 3:23 AM #1
Hi!
Here is a terrain I made in Bryce5.
[http://edward.leuf.org/JSHOT000.jpg]
[http://edward.leuf.org/JSHOT001.jpg]
[http://edward.leuf.org/JSHOT002.jpg]
Well? Be honest... And pay no attention the dflt.mat! I'll clobber you if you shout it out! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

/Edward
------------------
[http://edward.leuf.org/MadMouse.gif]

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited August 04, 2003).]
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2003-08-04, 3:42 AM #2
It looks really repetitive even for JK

------------------
2003-08-04, 4:11 AM #3
Are you saying that maybe I should make it look good simply by making a texture in Bryce and then slapping it on with Force ReMap?
2003-08-04, 4:25 AM #4
that'd be a start.

------------------
Current Maps

Stomping Grounds (Newest Addition)

Look up my nose and see your future.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2003-08-04, 5:30 AM #5
The "skyline" looks like real mountains. I'm very impressed.

------------------
"Lost a planet Master Kenobi has! How embarrasing."
2003-08-04, 5:40 AM #6
OK, I made a texture (very hard to make a 3D texture on 2D mats) and Force ReMapped the mountain... Result:
[http://edward.leuf.org/JSHOT003.jpg]
/Edward
------------------
JK - Oh, dear... The poly count is too much!!!
Edward - There there... It is only 5000 polygons!

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited August 04, 2003).]
2003-08-04, 7:12 AM #7
It would turn out very low-res, but couldn't you just render it in Bryce from overhead, and make it 256x256, then convert it to mat and smack it on? You'd get those nice shadows and stuff that Bryce gives it, and you'd have to do virtually zero custom work.

[edit]Oh wait you did, you just need to scale it up big time so it fits the mountain.

[This message has been edited by RingMaster481 (edited August 04, 2003).]
2003-08-04, 9:38 AM #8
The archi is nice, but that texture job is simply hideous.

------------------
2003-08-04, 11:43 AM #9
Well, I did try to make a mountain and do an over head view, but then realized that I simply ask Bryce to do a random Rolling Hill Fractal, so I simply added the texture to a plane and slapped it on the edges of the mountain 3DO and and the rest is basically JKs mats...
Oh, and there is truth to my last sig...

/Edward
2003-08-04, 12:33 PM #10
I hope that 3do isn't one-big-sector-layer-3do or it won't work in JK... remember only like 22x odd or lower faces PER layer on a 3do.

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2003-08-04, 2:16 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
I hope that 3do isn't one-big-sector-layer-3do or it won't work in JK... remember only like 22x odd or lower faces PER layer on a 3do.

</font>

Well, since those screenshots are from JK, I think it's safe to say that it probably isn't only 1 layer. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited August 04, 2003).]
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2003-08-04, 5:11 PM #12
I see dflt.mat!!!1111q
lololol

------------------
New Half-Life 2 Screenshots! (Updated Daily)
2003-08-04, 6:12 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Friend14:
Well, since those screenshots are from JK, I think it's safe to say that it probably isn't only 1 layer. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
</font>

well it's a **** good thing then huh

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2003-08-04, 6:15 PM #14
Hellcat had a really good method for texturing terrain, you should try and find out how he did it.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2003-08-04, 11:29 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
I see dflt.mat!!!1111q
lololol
</font>

*CLOBBER!!!* I warned you!!!
[http://edward.leuf.org/MadMouse.gif]

And it is 5000 polys, chopped up into 64 layers... So basically I can create an earth quake!

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited August 05, 2003).]
2003-08-05, 4:28 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by powertickle:
The archi is nice, but that texture job is simply hideous.

</font>

------------------
"if a nobody is still somebody
than that means that every one can't be some one because if every one is some one then no one can be any one..."
"if a nobody is still somebody
than that means that every one can't be some one because if every one is some one then no one can be any one..."
2003-08-06, 2:41 PM #17
When exporting terrain from Bryce, you can export the textures which you have applied to it in 256x256 BMPs, as well. Then you just convert them to MATs, and convert the 3do using Milkshape (Which will keep the texture vertices the same as they were in Bryce)

------------------
His pot is blacker than his kettle!

Phoenix Swords
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2003-08-06, 9:36 PM #18
5,000? Seems to be overdoing it. JK doesn't really need that much detail. Many engines nowadays don't really go into that much detail for that type of terrain.

------------------
_ _________________ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2003-08-06, 10:04 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LKOH_SniperWolf:
Many engines nowadays don't really go into that much detail for that type of terrain.</font>

You're right, they go much higher.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-08-07, 10:25 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
You're right, they go much higher.

</font>

Like what? 65536? Of course those that don't use polys as such (like SS) probebly use like... 3.4028236692093846346337460743177e+38? Or?

And 5000 polys and 64 meshes, makes an 800mhz computer show 16-fps. I'm sure that you with Ghz would have no problems!
2003-08-07, 10:26 AM #21
Just stating modern games and engines go higher than that for terrain...

------------------
2003-08-07, 11:26 AM #22
Quote:

</font>

Yeah, but they also use 6-10 LOD models of the terrain. That's a tricky thing to do in JK.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2003-08-07, 11:28 AM #23
Quote:

</font>

Of course, the computers nowadays can handle it, so they take full advantage.

------------------
If one is to survive these days, one must learn to take full advantage of the new technology!
[ImaNewbie]
2003-08-07, 3:06 PM #24
Quote:
Yeah, but they also use 6-10 LOD models of the terrain. That's a tricky thing to do in JK.</font>

No actually, they don't.

------------------
2003-08-07, 3:19 PM #25
Quote:
No actually, they don't.

</font>

Yes, actually, they do. It may not be seperate models, but it's scaled down by the engine.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2003-08-07, 5:54 PM #26
And which games would use such a feature? Perhaps other than stunning next generation UT2K4 or HL2.

------------------
2003-08-07, 6:55 PM #27
Landscape LOD'ing has been around for ages...

But many games dont take advantage of it, instead using restricting view distance as an alternate option. Some of these games that spring to mind quickly are motocross madness and battlefield.

I cant remember if USAF used landscape LOD'ing, I would need to borrow the cds again to check.

The terrain is ok, I suggest getting some good textures on it to make it look better.

------------------
Team Battle.
Team Battle.
2003-08-07, 7:36 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hellcat:
But many games dont take advantage of it, instead using restricting view distance as an alternate option. Some of these games that spring to mind quickly are motocross madness and battlefield.
</font>

Been awhile since I playeed motocross, but I'm pretty sure it had terrain LOD (if I remember correctly, they did a much better job of masking it; I could be wrong though), and I know Battlefield 1942 does.

Quote:
And which games would use such a feature? Perhaps other than stunning next generation UT2K4 or HL2.</font>

Um, any game designer in their right mind?

Seriously, name a game that doesn't use it.

Terrain LODing is a must if you don't want to kill your frame rate....unless you had really low poly terrain to begin with.

To bring things back to the topic at hand:

Edward, that's a great start. Keep expanding on it. When your ready, e-mail GBK and see if he'll let you have a copy of the RVTCS. I know terrain is frustrating, especially texturing it and getting everything to line up correctly. But just keep at it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2003-08-07, 8:02 PM #29
I'm almost sure Serious Sam doesn't, and that has some really huge terrain, especially Second Encounter. Q3:TA was designed for big terrain and doesn't use it, Ghost Recon doesn't use it, I don't recall OpFlash using it (but that's so low poly to begin with).

Sure is a good thing, but modern games don't use it as much as you'd think.

------------------
2003-08-08, 11:44 AM #30
And how many of those are open terrain?

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2003-08-08, 3:13 PM #31
does halo use it?

I know it has a ton of terrain but I haven't been able to play it enough to tell.(that will change in sept. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif])

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
Immorality- 1 Cor. 6:18, 2 Tim. 2:22
Impure thoughts- Col. 3:2, Phil. 4:8
Alcohol- Eph. 5:18, Prov. 20:1
Anger- Gal. 5:22, Porv. 20:3
Pride- 1 Peter 5:5, Dan. 4:37
Worry- 1 Peter 5:7, Phil. 4:7-6
speech- James 1:26, Eph. 4:29-5:2
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2003-08-08, 3:42 PM #32
Quote:
And how many of those are open terrain?</font>

All of them.

------------------
2003-08-08, 5:56 PM #33
Quote:
All of them.

</font>

BS! Like hell they do!

It's one thing to have cayons and caves, ect. It's anther thing to have rolling hills and open desserts. (And no, open terrain with a clipping plane of only 64m does not count)

You have just proven to me that you don't know half the **** about computer graphics and their interactions, as you make yourself out to knowing.

You can not have open terrain with out using LOD's. Rather they're seperate models or if they're scaled by the engine. is irrelevent. It is not possible on even a 3Ghz system. Do the math (if you know how) and it'll show this.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited August 08, 2003).]
2003-08-08, 6:13 PM #34
Man, you just crack me up. How would you know it's impossible? Want me to take screenshots?

And don't give me that crap about not knowing. You're the one who has only touched JK and then makes up random hypotheses and conjecture... Like the time you said game assets were loaded on the fly, then covered up the lost debate by blaming it on being tired... oh yeah, that's a good one, chief.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 08, 2003).]
2003-08-08, 6:18 PM #35
What is terrain LODing? Neer understood that abbreviation...
DO NOT WANT.
2003-08-08, 6:46 PM #36
Level of detail, for terrain it would be where polygon reduction techniques are used to lower the detail of the terrain in the distance, on the fly.

And I don't know where this seperate model thing Friend14 has come up with. Dividing terrain into seperate models and using static LODs on each would be a pain in the *** to make, a pain in the *** to impliment, and ugly due to visible seams from floating point inaccuracies.

------------------
2003-08-08, 7:17 PM #37
Quote:
Man, you just crack me up. How would you know it's impossible? Want me to take screenshots?</font>

Do the math, it's impossible. Run the calculation based on a view distance of 600m * 360(degrees) [at 600m, with a single poly size of 1m, 1m = 1 degree], multiply that number by 763kb (average size of a 512x512 texture applied to each poly). [And this isn't taking into consideration anything else you might have in the game world, but that's made up for by the polies that are inverted to the camera and thus are not rendered]

Terrain poly reduction (LODing), reduces the number of polies. It also scales the texture applied to it, to a smaller size. To have open terrain that runs on a 1ghz system (considered low-end), then you must have these things (not that they could run on a 3ghz system without them).

Quote:
And don't give me that crap about not knowing. You're the one who has only touched JK and then makes up random hypotheses and conjecture... Like the time you said game assets were loaded on the fly, then covered up the lost debate by blaming it on being tired... oh yeah, that's a good one, chief.

</font>

1) I have edited XvT, Rebellion, XWA, JK (MotS), JO, and Battlefield 1942. And to claim that I've only touched JK is just...so wrong.

2) Depending on the game, game assets are loaded on the fly. Some games have levels that have a file size that surpasses the total available memory space. Thus while playing those games, you'll see the HD LED light flash. This doesn't apply to most first person games.

Though I may of mentioned that I was tired when I typed it (as I am right now and many times when I post, which tends to lead to grammical errors...which is what I was pointing out when I mentioned that), I was, and still am, correct.

Quote:
And I don't know where this seperate model thing Friend14 has come up with. Dividing terrain into seperate models and using static LODs on each would be a pain in the *** to make, a pain in the *** to impliment, and ugly due to visible seams from floating point inaccuracies.</font>

...And is the only way to have open terrain in JK.

And as there is nothing else to contribute to the actual discussion to the thread, this is where I'm ending the debate.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited August 08, 2003).]
2003-08-08, 7:35 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do the math, it's impossible. Run the calculation based on a view distance of 600m * 360(degrees) [at 600m, with a single poly size of 1m, 1m = 1 degree], multiply that number by 763kb (average size of a 512x512 texture applied to each poly). [And this isn't taking into consideration anything else you might have in the game world, but that's made up for by the polies that are inverted to the camera and thus are not rendered]</font>

Uh, 360 degree view? WTF kind of engine renders a 360 degree view? More like 90... you aren't familiar with frustum culling, are you? And who the hell would use a texture for each polygon?? That would be insane and stupid. Texture projection is usually used to project a single texture across a large terrain, and is more efficient.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
It also scales the texture applied to it, to a smaller size.</font>

Actually, no, that's hardware mipmapping. It's entirely independant of terrain. It works on all surfaces in the game.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
1) I have edited XvT, Rebellion, XWA, JK (MotS), JO, and Battlefield 1942. And to claim that I've only touched JK is just...so wrong.</font>

My apologies. But please, tell me, how much have you edited of these games? Do you understand the fundamentals of how their engines function, or have you only scratched the surface? Can you describe, in detail, the BSP, VIS and light processes of the map compilation in JO?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...And is the only way to have open terrain in JK.</font>

I wasn't referring to JK.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 08, 2003).]
2003-08-08, 7:42 PM #39
MY GOD YOU TWO. CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT YOU ARE DOING tHE EXACT SAME THING THAT YOU DID IN THE GUN MODEL THREAD??? and if i remember correctly... once an admin told you to stop, you said something along the lines of "Good idea. Sorry Friend14 and d_p." What the **** ever happened to that "good idea" or do you have short term memory loss? Anyway... this constant bickering needs to stop, or people will not want to showcase their work.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
2003-08-08, 7:45 PM #40
We're still discussing terrain.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!