Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → One very detailed box
One very detailed box
2003-08-10, 4:31 PM #41
It's basically a one sector sphere with a godly number of surfaces, which is why it's so uber...

Gunny just showcased some really nice JED architecture that would be rather difficult to do in JkEdit.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 10, 2003).]
2003-08-10, 5:12 PM #42
Whelly, I think that looks nice. I also happen to like those textures, but I've always liked that texture set.

Its fine to prefer JED, but alot of you JED elitists are acting like *******s in these threads.

I'm pretty good in JED, and prefer it, but I can't make **** in JKEDIT. It's probably true for all of you too. Not neccesarily because it's a poor editor, but more that I have no clue how to use it.

I think that JKEDIT had some potential, but it was ruined by an already huge JED userbase, and JED having a much much better interface. JKEDIT is just **** confusing and lacks some important features that JED has.

------------------
2003-08-10, 5:58 PM #43
i think the big flaw of JKEdit is that is costs money... more money than it is really even worth last time i checked

------------------
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2003-08-11, 3:58 AM #44
powertickle: Thanks. I agree with you all the way. Once upon a time, I was noob JkEdit user, and I did release half***ed crap like many other noobs. I kept at it (which a lot of editors do not with JkEdit) for a couple years, and now I think I can hold my weight in editing. Although it's true JED is probably more powerful, I stuck to JkEdit, and there's no going back.

Although I don't think JED has a better interface; that's the reason I didn't stick at it. All of those freakin' keyboard commands... JkEdit is all done with the mouse pretty much.

$30 isn't that much for this program. If most of are spending $10 a month on Asheron's Call, then it's not a big deal.

------------------
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2003-08-11, 5:21 AM #45
$30 to purchase a program to edit a game that you can buy for $10 now... makes sense.

------------------
Belief can be defined as being more firmly grounded in experience than is attainable by the imagination.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2003-08-11, 7:39 AM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zuljin:
$30 to purchase a program to edit a game that you can buy for $10 now... makes sense.

</font>

pwned

5$ some places.

------------------
Epic: Episode I TC, Epic: Podracing Mod MP/SP, Epic: Starbattles Mod MP/SP
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-08-11, 10:06 AM #47
$ = JKEdit.
$ = American.
£ = British.
Tony = British.
Tony /= JKEdit.
Tony = Jed.

------------------
Tony - Socially inept pioneer of random schtick in Jed since 2001.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2003-08-11, 10:07 AM #48
Four years ago it was worth the money, when JK wasn't in bargain bins.

Shessh, what's with all of you guys. Massassi was never like this in the good ol' days.

[This message has been edited by Whelly (edited August 11, 2003).]
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2003-08-11, 10:12 AM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
Four years ago it was worth the money, when JK wasn't in bargain bins.

[maddox]Am I right or what?[/maddox]

</font>

JED was free 4 years ago too...

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2003-08-11, 10:45 AM #50
Good old days... which would those be?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 11, 2003).]
2003-08-11, 12:15 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
Also, show us the mighty UberSector. I wanna see this...</font>

one
two
three

------------------
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2003-08-11, 12:17 PM #52
All of em are sexy looking!

Now someone will probably wnna start a JORaident vs GtDK Riadent war lol.

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2003-08-11, 1:00 PM #53
There was already one going on the JO editing forum of JK2Radiant vs GtkRadiant, and there was no contest...

Edit: Meaning GtkRadiant "won" the "debate".

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 11, 2003).]
2003-08-11, 1:38 PM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Edit: Meaning GtkRadiant "won" the "debate".</font>

That may be for some, but it convinced me to download JK2 again to use side by side with Gtk.

------------------
2003-08-11, 4:13 PM #55
I'm going to camp, so I'll check my thread in a week. Keep at the comments!

------------------
2003-08-12, 10:33 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Naythn:
one
two
three

</font>

There is a god... And he is an almighty JED secter...

JediKirby

------------------
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-08-12, 10:45 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Omicron88:
That may be for some, but it convinced me to download JK2 again to use side by side with Gtk.

</font>

For what?? What is better in JK2Rad than in GTK?? I can't possibly think up anything.. so please, explain...

------------------
In case you didn't notice in the post above; my English teacher is NOT my best friend...
2003-08-14, 11:59 AM #58
GTKRadiant *IS* JORadiant. Don't start that debate again, they are the same piece of software. GTKRadiant just happens to be the newer version, with most of the nastier bugs fixed.

Why did I come out of retirement? My computers' too leet now, Jed won't even run...

------------------
Too many stupid people!

'[sarcastic sneering]
You're waiting for Obi-Wan? Isn't that sweet. Personally, I've decided to wait for the quantum-biological supercomputer. My current system won't support what I have in store for my TC.
[/sarcastic sneering]'
-Fardreamer
StavaDM-Contest 1-Crap Dome-Contest 4

In any situation where I appear to be false, I assure you I am correct. In such a case, it is, in fact, reality that is mistaken.
2003-08-14, 12:03 PM #59
Now, I'll admit that the compiler in GTK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JK2, but I still favor the JK2 interface for detailing. Little things.

------------------
2003-08-15, 9:25 AM #60
Argh, stop bashing this just because it is JKEdit.. I don't remember you guys just picking out just the bad things in screenshots before.. Picking at these shots because they are not Jed, is nothing short of childish. Heck, most of you people who are bashing it have never even tried the program. How can you express an opinion without ever having seen it up close? Oh, go ahead and say something like "omg its expensive ffs," but that REALLY isn't what the discussion is about. It is about which editor gives the best RESULTS.

[Edit: Please tell me the framerate in software mode while having a pitched battle in that Uber-sector of yours.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]]

------------------
Gandalv the Gray, recieving bans for Christmas since December 2001

[This message has been edited by Gandalv the Gray (edited August 15, 2003).]
No signature for you.
2003-08-15, 10:04 AM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalv the Gray:
Argh, stop bashing this just because it is JKEdit.. I don't remember you guys just picking out just the bad things in screenshots before.. Picking at these shots because they are not Jed, is nothing short of childish. Heck, most of you people who are bashing it have never even tried the program. How can you express an opinion without ever having seen it up close? Oh, go ahead and say something like "omg its expensive ffs," but that REALLY isn't what the discussion is about. It is about which editor gives the best RESULTS.

[Edit: Please tell me the framerate in software mode while having a pitched battle in that Uber-sector of yours.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]]

</font>

10 bucks says, you place one of his screenshots, next to a JED screenshot, and I would tell you which was which. JKEdit, as said many times before, just looks like a box with extrudes into it, nothing more than. I've tried JKEdit, I EVEN baught it. Horrible program, not worth 35 dollars, and CERTAINLY not worth playing levels for, as it contains more bugs then JED in the level itself.

JediKirby

------------------
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-08-15, 10:47 AM #62
Looks kickarse. Nothing wrong with JK textures either, steefu people.

10/10.

------------------
Brutally honest since 1998
2003-08-15, 4:15 PM #63
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:

10 bucks says, you place one of his screenshots, next to a JED screenshot, and I would tell you which was which. JKEdit, as said many times before, just looks like a box with extrudes into it, nothing more than. I've tried JKEdit, I EVEN baught it. Horrible program, not worth 35 dollars, and CERTAINLY not worth playing levels for, as it contains more bugs then JED in the level itself.

JediKirby

</font>

Let me refer you back to my post on this tread with the snow level screenshot, or you can look here, it was made in JkEdit and does not look like a box with extrudes. I know, you will try to say otherwise(just because it is JkEdit), but it isn't a box with extrudes. I didn't extrude at all in the screenshot.

------------------
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"
-Michael Kyle
2003-08-16, 10:48 AM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
Let me refer you back to my post on this tread with the snow level screenshot, or you can look here, it was made in JkEdit and does not look like a box with extrudes. I know, you will try to say otherwise(just because it is JkEdit), but it isn't a box with extrudes. I didn't extrude at all in the screenshot.

</font>

Thanks for the backup, I was sure I was going to be flamed to pieces there [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

And I don't say that JKEdit necessarily is better, but I want some perspective in this discussion. As far as I am concerned, the both probably have pros and cons, which makes the choice and opinion entirely subjective. And before someone asks: I have never tried JKEdit myself.

------------------
Gandalv the Gray, recieving bans for Christmas since December 2001
No signature for you.
2003-08-16, 2:22 PM #65
Thanks for more comments, especially, umm, the ones about JORaident vs GtDK Riadent. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

I like this Gandalv the Gray guy; he's the few here who aren't biased. This is what we need, perspective in the discussion, not childish 'favorite' games.

JediKirby, I don't see what your problem is. Actually, I do see, because every one of your posts has been filled with negative comments, while most others are postive and/or filled with suggestions on how to improve it. Just like Gandalv said, being biased is childish.

------------------
2003-08-16, 2:26 PM #66
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Naythn:
one
two
three

</font>

Oh, heavenly God...It's beautiful. I think this is the part where I see the white light at the end of the tunnel [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2003-08-17, 6:26 AM #67
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Let me refer you back to my post on this tread with the snow level screenshot, or you can look here, it was made in JkEdit and does not look like a box with extrudes. I know, you will try to say otherwise(just because it is JkEdit), but it isn't a box with extrudes. I didn't extrude at all in the screenshot.</font>

Doesn't matter what editor you used; it's still ugly.

------------------
Too many stupid people!

'[sarcastic sneering]
You're waiting for Obi-Wan? Isn't that sweet. Personally, I've decided to wait for the quantum-biological supercomputer. My current system won't support what I have in store for my TC.
[/sarcastic sneering]'
-Fardreamer
StavaDM-Contest 1-Crap Dome-Contest 4

In any situation where I appear to be false, I assure you I am correct. In such a case, it is, in fact, reality that is mistaken.
2003-08-17, 1:37 PM #68
That snow level looks great, but it's great because of the textures. A quick rundown reveals it's a semi-8 sided circle for the cave, 2 surfaces off of those, about 7 to 12 surfaces per wall. When I can first of all see the box around it (I can) and then count the surfaces (Especially at this distance and with those textures) I usually know it's JKEdit, or a newbie JEDer.

Saying that I've contained negative comments is incorrect my friend. JKEdit has bugs that actually effect gameplay, because it uses messier cleaves, that's a FACT. JKEdit as a program resembles that of a sellable product, but doesn't deliver. It takes way too much to do the simple archi in your little snow level, that can be easily done in JED, in much less time.

Now, let's look at it from this perspective: I USED JKEDIT BEFORE I USED JED! JKEdit was a small box. Then I tried JED, got discouraged, tried some more times, learned a bit more, then I didn't even have a box around me. JKEdit is editing in a box, JED is outside of the box. JED is a CAD program for gods sakes, it's as simple as that. JED is superior to JKEdit, but if you prefer spending 35 dollars for a program that works better for you, then that's ok with me, but you still can't say JKEdit's levels are superior to that of JEDs, or that one program is superior then the other, because it's just undepictable, it's not possible. JKEdit is the dumbed up, and buggier version of a complex and confusing, but powerful and particular CAD program that's free. That program is JED.

JediKirby

------------------
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2003-08-17, 1:39 PM #69
One last thing:

THE KID HASN'T EVEN TRIED JKEDIT!

How in the world can he say that JKEdit and JED are equal when he hasn't tried them both? He can't.

JediKirby

------------------
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!