Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → My new level for Spiral's contest
My new level for Spiral's contest
2004-08-23, 2:46 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Personally, I don't love the spike thingies. Prehaps a lens flare?

</font>

how can you make a lens flare in JK?
(edit here's a screenshot of it withought the spike things just in case you were wondering.
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/14793.jpg]
------------------
~vegiemaster~

[This message has been edited by vegiemaster (edited August 23, 2004).]
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2004-08-23, 3:06 PM #42
Ok, DEFINITELY have the spike things, but have them rotate faster than the lightning and flicker, and also move in the opposite direction.

[Edit: Maybe have the spikes have animated mats, so they seem to start as small dots and the energy seems to fluctuate outwards and shrink back]

------------------
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 5.89 GB (6,333,670,164 bytes)
Size on Disk: 3.87 GB (4,163,332,437 bytes)
Contains: 28,455 Files, 1165 Folders
Last Updated: 8/9/04

[This message has been edited by Laserjolt (edited August 23, 2004).]
Size: 7.41 GB (7,957,329,759 bytes)
Size on Disk: 5.16 GB (5,544,473,484 bytes)
Contains: 28,807 Files, 1187 Folders
Last Updated: 3/29/05
2004-08-23, 4:23 PM #43
Bring back the spikes, and now I think the blue is too light.

------------------
"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-23, 4:31 PM #44
Have darker swirls of blue in the orb (yet another animation suggestion!); that should keep it from looking washed-out. Oh, and any sound effects attached to it, besides a teleport sound? Flame sound or 1/2x lightning sound could work, maybe, as an ambient sound.

------------------
Size: 5.89 GB (6,333,670,164 bytes)
Size on Disk: 3.87 GB (4,163,332,437 bytes)
Contains: 28,455 Files, 1165 Folders
Last Updated: 8/9/04

[This message has been edited by Laserjolt (edited August 23, 2004).]
Size: 7.41 GB (7,957,329,759 bytes)
Size on Disk: 5.16 GB (5,544,473,484 bytes)
Contains: 28,807 Files, 1187 Folders
Last Updated: 3/29/05
2004-08-23, 5:46 PM #45
I still think those knobs looks absolutelly laughable.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-23, 6:21 PM #46
Okay, the level now has a unified look because you're sticking to a particular color. Good stuff.

The lightning is a nice touch, but it may be overdoing it a little.

I think it seemed to suit the theme better when it was a dark blue shimmery-looking portal.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=sfam" TARGET=_blank> "Our deeds have traveled far,
What we have been is what we are."</A>
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-23, 6:29 PM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I still think those knobs looks absolutelly laughable.

</font>

So is your sentence structure Kirby, but we won't hold it against you.

For JK, the map is impressive (and please, keep the spikes!)

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-23, 9:19 PM #48
do the spikes slowly shoot outward from the energy?, rotate around?, just appear there randomly?, or are they static? If you're gonna modify it futher, I suggest making the spikes shoot outward slowly from the energy.

Also, can you get us an animation? the way I get ingame animations is to do this:
"slowmo on" ... "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" "screenshot taken" ...

An animation would be nice

------------------
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-24, 3:38 AM #49
ok i have an animation ready (edit and it will be up soon)

------------------
~vegiemaster~

[This message has been edited by vegiemaster (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 6:21 AM #50
E-mail it to grismath (at) gmail d0t com, and I'll host it for you.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-08-24, 11:08 AM #51
ok here we see the spikes rotation along with the blob's rotation.
[http://www.sestus.net/images/core.gif]

the speed is a little slower that in game and the lights flickering will obviously vary. thanks for the hosting grismath!

------------------
~vegiemaster~

2004-08-24, 11:11 AM #52
The level looks great, as does that orby thing [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

But possibly could you make the lightning a little less stiff-looking? It's so straight in most of the shots it almost looks like a pole... :\
To do so, modify the lightning template you're using in master.tpl (in your project directory) and find the "trailrandangle" parameter; increase the angle value (maybe to 50 or 60?). Also, add "trailcylradius=0.05" just after it.

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited August 24, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-08-24, 11:48 AM #53
The ball of energy looks like one of those balls we played with as kids, with the cones on it, and it would vibrate all over the place. Laughable.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-24, 7:01 PM #54
I think the radial shafts of energy will make the effect of the sprite appearing to follow you around more obvious. If you want radial shafts they would look much better as inpendent objects in my opinion.

------------------
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
2004-08-25, 12:21 PM #55
[http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/14796.jpg]
I messed around a little with the master.tmp and did all that. (thanks a lot for that advice) Im gonna start putting weapons in now, and i could really use some help. what weapon variety would you all like to see. (remember that this is for spiral's Lab TC) i guess that his weapons replace the JK ones with equaly powerful ones, so give me like percentages of what to include. (Kirby, you would be good at that)

------------------
~vegiemaster~
2004-08-25, 12:29 PM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
The ball of energy looks like one of those balls we played with as kids, with the cones on it, and it would vibrate all over the place. Laughable.

JediKirby

</font>

Shut up.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-25, 12:57 PM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">JediKirby: I'm sure the gameplay is fantastic, but this level's archi isn't all that fantastic. Just good gameplay, which is what counts.</font>

How can you insult the energy ball sprite, then claim you have any idea what gameplay must be like in this level? Simple architecture has no direct relation to gameplay (though people like to place a correlation between simple archi' and good gameplay).

Personally, I'm impressed with the energy ball dealie, but the pictures I saw of the rest of the level leave me unimpressed. Just looked like boxy hallways to me.

As for the lens flare suggestion: go stare at a bright light (like the sun) and tell me if you see a magical lens flare appear outta nowhere. Last time I checked, my eyeballs weren't camera lens (uhm, that came out way more attacking than I meant, I'm just saying I find lens flares in FPS games to be stupid when you're supposed to be looking through the eyes of a living thing... most the time; I suppose if Kyle Katarn was a robot a lens flare could make sense).

As for weapon dispersion: include everything, but only 1 annoying to get concussion rifle, and 1 raildet and no railcharges. Keep the energy and power cell supply low, but throw thermal det belts and seq charge packs all over the place. Forcing the player to use the less used weapons isn't a bad thing. Maybe even lower the respawn rate on guns and ammo.

QM
2004-08-25, 1:06 PM #58
ok, thanks for the suggestions. (and personaly, I don't mind Kirby, lol)

------------------
~vegiemaster~
2004-08-25, 5:37 PM #59
it's looking really nice, but remember this is a level contest, not a mod contest. Weapons won't be nessicary, cause they will probably be written over by the SP weapons, or they will not work together. however, if you want to include som gun models and cogs, that's welcome, cause Trent only uses 1 type of weapon in laboratory, the 077 Saint. so I can fill the others with weapons from the MP pack I guess.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 25, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-26, 4:42 AM #60
I said that the gameplay was PROBABLY good. I liked how the layout was, because it seemed like I'd have a fun time jumping around the level, because it was simmetrical, elaborate, yet it still lacks visual shine.

And while the ball may be impressive, I still think it'd give me a good laugh, rather than an aw.

Oh, and I suggest you release this seperate from the Lab pack as well, so that old school JK gameplay can also be played with it.

(Vegie, get on MSN and PM me today, I'll be on almost all day (I've got registration today, though) and I'd like to talk about this level, as well as that other thing. I'll suggest weapons and placement then.)

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!