Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Robots, Hobbits, and Dragons
Robots, Hobbits, and Dragons
2006-06-26, 9:20 PM #41
Work on teh front and back legs to try and make them look more natural, and the claws are too pyramidical.
2006-06-26, 9:22 PM #42
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-242-HTZwehAtZu.jpg]
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2006-06-26, 11:23 PM #43
The texture mapping could use serious improvement. The textures themselves need work and need better blending together. The back foot looks distorted. Largely due to the way you've done the toes/claws. Bring the toes out further, make them better sized. More like what one would expect from an elephant or rhino, then place the claws one. The necks too long, giving a horribly stretched look to the thing. The head's rather small in comparison to the body, and weakens the relative look of strength/danger of the creature. The tail is being held in an unnatural position, and has an unnatural shape to it in comparison to the spikes placed on it. For a decent idea, one could look at renderings/drawings of ankylosaurs, which share a fairly similar anatomy/body type to the kell dragon, and should help give an idea of a more natural look for the tail and the spikes on it. (They wouldn't be a good reference for the legs though, of course, since Kell's walk sprawled. Perhaps a crocodile would be a good reference for the legs, which also have a rather unnatural and ungainly look to them.) On the whole, the general look isn't so bad, but much of it has ended up looking unnatural, exaggerated, almost cartoonish.

As for the ugnaught, there's a clear seperation of the folds and the underlying skeletal structure that yours doesn't have, and probably contributes to comments about the face. Increase the look that those side parts are just hanging there, not sticking out and it'll probably help. In the second game ss, the hips/torso connection just looks horrible... Looks like his *** is huge as well in that shot.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2006-06-27, 3:47 PM #44
The Ug's hips are prolly being forked over by JK's animations in game
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-06-27, 6:03 PM #45
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-242-2xT6zfYUFb.jpg]

Here it is in game! Whoever made the original model must have been on drugs, all the pivots are offset for no reason, which made it a huge pain to match it up even this close :mad:
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2006-06-27, 7:50 PM #46
To be honest, the kell dragon needs work. To my eyes, it's a tad blocky, and the legs are, as others said, unnatural. Although being restricted by the animations probably doesn't help matters, as you mentioned.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-06-27, 7:51 PM #47
:eek: AAAH :eek:

<3 Shred

2006-06-27, 8:34 PM #48
Is there any way to fix this? I know you said the animation was screwy, but I didn't know if you meant that it was still a WIP or if that's how it is going to have to be.
[http://ds.nullmind.org/kell.JPG]

Also, one other question, are you going to make sure its eyes glow in the dark like the original kell dragons' did in JK? That was one of the creepiest things about them.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-28, 1:34 AM #49
They didn't glow when you had 3d acceleration on. :(
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-28, 1:42 AM #50
Couldn't they be made glowing by applying an extralight of 1.0 to their surfaces?
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2006-06-28, 6:13 AM #51
Yeah, you just have to make them separate surfaces from the rest of the skin. Which isn't a problem today, but I guess it had "performance hits" on P100s.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-28, 8:59 AM #52
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
This is the Kell Dragon from Dark Forces, I don't know if maybe that helps any, but I figured it was worth a try :)

[http://www.julesarts.com/darkforces/df/enemies/dragon2.jpg]

AAAAH!!!! So this is what Oscar the Grouch looks like outside the trashcan!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-28, 12:15 PM #53
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-242-b8nUuzVxTI.jpg]

Yay, fixes! Also the eyes glow.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2006-06-28, 12:26 PM #54
I CANT SEE! THAT SCREENIE IS TOO DARK!!11 OMQ!!11

(just making fun of all the losers that are always like "The level's too dark!")

Anyway, the glowing eyes are badass freaky. Awesome.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-06-28, 1:50 PM #55
Absolutely love the first shot. Looks like we should start up the "get LCD montors for Massassi campaign" again :P.

Seriously though, it looks great and i look forward to seeing more.
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-06-28, 1:57 PM #56
Actually I see the dark pictures better on my years old LG 19" CRT, than on my brand new Samsung SyncMater 19" TFT.
Clear enough on both though.

Looks nice. Not your best model though. The front legs should be more like the ones in the DF screenshot Dark Knight provided, i.e. as thick as the feet.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-06-28, 4:06 PM #57
I'm sorry, but that kell dragon model looks horrible in comparison to your other work. I realize you have the constraints of the nodes to deal with, but that doesn't explain the stretched and odd resolutioned mats, or the blocky and low polygonal arms and legs and claws.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-29, 7:50 PM #58
I totally love most of your models shred, but I have to agree with Kirby on this one. I never liked the JK Kell Dragon anyway. I think if you do decide to make huge alterations to your Kell model you should use the Dark Forces Kell as your basis. It plain and simply just looks scarrier and is, over all, a lot cooler than the JK one.

I hate to give you a negative crit. Your models are amazing and improve JK more than any other mod to date. If you don't decide to change this model I won't worry about it myself but it still would be awesome if you could get this one up to par with the rest of your models.

Think DF.

lim Kell Dragon

DF Kell -> Scarry/Freeking Awesome
JK Kell -> Barney w/spikes
If curiosity killed the cat then perhaps Curious George killed the cat.
But Cat's do have nine lives so who knows?
2006-06-30, 4:39 AM #59
what kell dragon? all I see is the probulator :v:
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-242-iiPY4THsAN.jpg]
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2006-06-30, 4:47 AM #60
Woah. You *are* a machine. Nice, as always.
幻術
2006-06-30, 7:54 AM #61
Hehe, I can even hear the humming/buzzing sound of it's hover engine.
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2006-06-30, 8:15 AM #62
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'm sorry, but that kell dragon model looks horrible in comparison to your other work. I realize you have the constraints of the nodes to deal with, but that doesn't explain the stretched and odd resolutioned mats, or the blocky and low polygonal arms and legs and claws.

Says Emon Jr. :P J/k Kirb.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-06-30, 8:30 AM #63
:gbk:
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-30, 8:33 AM #64
Woah shred, I love the probe droid!

Speaking of droid, do the mouse bot!!! :P
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-30, 11:09 AM #65
That Probe droid rocks! It's one of the best models you've made! I can't wait to shoot that thing in game!
If curiosity killed the cat then perhaps Curious George killed the cat.
But Cat's do have nine lives so who knows?
2006-06-30, 11:23 PM #66
Only one antenna (can't spell, been out of the country for too long lol), I thought it had a small farm up there.....
Major projects working on:
SATNRT, JK Pistol Mod, Aliens TC, Firearms

Completed
Judgement Day (HLP), My level pack
2006-07-01, 2:18 AM #67
Marvellous.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz

↑ Up to the top!