Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Sonic el Hedgehog
Sonic el Hedgehog
2008-08-19, 9:00 AM #1
So, instead of working on more important things, I've been playing with this the last few days.

[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-354-M3azLoQh1l.jpg]

And a few cogs later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_gMwyrnY0

[how do you embed?]

This is too much fun. :argh:
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2008-08-19, 9:33 AM #2
THAT IS SO AWESOME
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-08-19, 9:42 AM #3

there ya go shred
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-08-19, 9:49 AM #4
Oh my frickin gord! I never really cared for Sonic, but that my friend, is the shiz.

Sooo... you just pulled this outta your pants in a few days?
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2008-08-19, 10:00 AM #5
SHRED i love you, seriously.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-08-19, 10:34 AM #6
That's awesome. All it needs now is the death animation.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-08-19, 11:22 AM #7
:eek:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-08-19, 2:09 PM #8
Ugly as sin.

Awesome as sin.
2008-08-19, 2:50 PM #9
The only thing ugly is the JK stuff left in there. That is awesome. Please work on this some more, or put it out for other people to work on it! I want a Sonic TC now! :ninja:
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-08-19, 5:46 PM #10
I love the death with Kyle's voice :)
2008-08-19, 6:22 PM #11
If this gets a level pack, I'm rein****ingstalling jk
D E A T H
2008-08-19, 10:32 PM #12
mee too.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-08-19, 11:38 PM #13
Originally posted by Gebohq:
The only thing ugly is the JK stuff left in there. That is awesome. Please work on this some more, or put it out for other people to work on it! I want a Sonic TC now! :ninja:

Har, I haven't seen 'TC' uttered in YEARS. It took me several seconds to decipher what it meant.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-08-20, 5:36 AM #14
Now I have to see if my genesis still works.

Shred, how did you do the loop? And is the player confined to a vertical plane? (Which just makes me wonder, how did you do the overlap in the loop?)
2008-08-20, 6:10 AM #15
I'll be releasing what I have eventually so anyone can make levels!

JM: I'm proud of the loop because it just uses the physics engine and doesn't take control away from the player. There is a loop video on the hub, which shows the player jumping off the loop at various points. The player was originally confined in the Y position in the world which made looping impossible. I solved it by confining him to the Y position of the current sector, then figuring out how to cleave a loop so he follows it.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2008-08-20, 8:54 AM #16
shred is god

that's awesome dude!
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-08-20, 3:38 PM #17
Originally posted by NoESC:
shred is god

nuff said!
2008-08-20, 5:32 PM #18
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
If this gets a level pack, I'm rein****ingstalling jk

Hell, if its as awesome as it looks, I'll do some maps for it.

Originally posted by Gebohq:
...I want a Sonic TC now! :ninja:

Great, you just jinxed the project. :mad:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-08-20, 5:58 PM #19
Sorry. :gbk:
2008-08-20, 8:15 PM #20
yes this would be awesome to build some maps for
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-08-21, 5:04 AM #21
Quote:
Y position of the current sector, then figuring out how to cleave a loop so he follows it.
So the loop is a bunch of sectors progressivly further away from the camera?

Have you considered having a chain of ghost things, and confining the player to the y of the line connecting them?

(Or confined them to the plane defined by that vector and up, and made the camera work in full 3d... D: )
2008-08-21, 7:47 AM #22
If I remember correctly, it's surprisingly easy to make it so the player can run through a loop -- two flags in COG, I believe. Don't remember which, mind you, but I was successfully able to make the player run in circles around a sphere. Couldn't jump right, though...
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2008-08-21, 7:50 AM #23
I never thought I'd say this again about JK but... I'm impressed.

Can someone help me reconnect my jaw to the rest of my skull?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-08-21, 8:16 AM #24
Sega's gonna sue your a$$!!!
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-08-21, 12:22 PM #25
Originally posted by JM:
So the loop is a bunch of sectors progressivly further away from the camera?

kind of... The two bottom sides of the loop are on their proper y axis, and the top half of the loop is angled across, with a guide sector at each end so you dont hit the middle.

Quote:
Have you considered having a chain of ghost things, and confining the player to the y of the line connecting them?

Briefly. I'm thinking about adding that now, for more precise control.

Quote:
(Or confined them to the plane defined by that vector and up, and made the camera work in full 3d... D: )

What? :huh: Not sure what you mean.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2008-08-21, 5:40 PM #26
That's pretty ballin'.
2008-08-21, 7:18 PM #27
Quote:
What? Not sure what you mean.

The player can be confined to ANY plane, not just the y-plane. This would allow real 3d levels; the camera would move so the player is always looking at the track side-on no matter how it's actually aligned in 3d space. It could be used for some neat things, like tracks that cross themselves or spiralling around a tower...
2008-08-21, 7:51 PM #28
Originally posted by JM:
The player can be confined to ANY plane, not just the y-plane. This would allow real 3d levels; the camera would move so the player is always looking at the track side-on no matter how it's actually aligned in 3d space. It could be used for some neat things, like tracks that cross themselves or spiralling around a tower...

If that were implemented, I think that would really be able to show the good level designers who can craft 3-D worlds with the 2-D gameplay without giving it that Super Paper Mario look (which only works because the story allows for the appropriate suspension of disbelief). That, and making sure parts of the level never block the camera.

Speaking of camera, can you simulate the "lag" that's in the early Sonic games, where if Sonic goes fast enough, the camera has to catch up? It's not essential, but things like that and keeping the camera from going up at a certain point could help make it feel more like an old Sonic game.

We totally need to get the people on the music board to make some Sonic-sounding music tracks now. :ninja:
2008-08-21, 9:36 PM #29
The math for a spring-dampened camera is pretty simple. More so if you fake it.

Also, you can treat the path-points as control points on a curve. I have no idea how to avoid needing every single control point in a single cog, though. Might be able to get away with a really fragile solution like only specifying the first and last, and assuming every entity ID in between is a control point, and they're in order.
2008-08-22, 6:25 PM #30
Originally posted by JM:
I have no idea how to avoid needing every single control point in a single cog, though. Might be able to get away with a really fragile solution like only specifying the first and last, and assuming every entity ID in between is a control point, and they're in order.

Define start and end, then compare each thing's template in the middle to the start thing's template with GetThingTemplate(). They would still need to be in order, but you could get away with having non-control point things in the middle.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-08-22, 7:12 PM #31
For detecting when we pass a control point, we can compare the player's position to a plane formed by the cross product of the vector from the last control point to the next one and up, and that vectors crossproduct with the afformentioned control point vector. This, unfortunatly, would not work when the player was upside down. It would be like v1 = (p1 - p0) x up and v2 = (p1 - p0) x v1.

Pretty much the same thing for going backwards. Perhaps we would have to define control points for 'up', as well, so the play surface actually becomes a quad-strip twisting through 3d space. (We could hijack this same 'up' control point to constrain camera height)
2008-08-22, 7:13 PM #32
Er. Fudge that, all you actually need is distance. And it would work if the player was upside down. Just find their distance from p0, and if it's greater than |p1-p0|, they have gone to the next one. You can determine which direction they are facing (forward or backwards) using the dot product of their view vector and p1-p0, and switch calculations accordingly.
2008-08-23, 12:30 PM #33
Ha. I just played and beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles this week; then I find this thread. Incredible job, Shred. Your work is always so impressive. :D I'd love to see this come to fruition.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-08-25, 6:59 AM #34
I've had a crazy week, moved into a new house and started school again! But I still managed to work on a few things, Sonic has a proper death animation now (wish I could disable the death camera though) and I worked out some crazy vector math to find the point just "above" something (along the up vec) so you only bounce off the correct surface of the spring pads now, and I can use it in the spikes cog so only the pointed ends of the spikes hurt you. (even when rotated in the world) As soon as my internet gets turned on at the new place, I should have a new video!

Psuedo 3d gameplay would be cool alright.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2008-08-25, 4:55 PM #35
You can change the death cam. You can set the camera to a ghost object on death. I did it for Space Noxx II.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-08-25, 7:11 PM #36
Yay! Can't wait to see the new video.

In a completely unrelated note; Emon, the download link to your level 'Space Noxx' is busted. :(
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2008-08-30, 12:15 PM #37
God, that's an incredibly sick idea with awesome execution. Almost makes me want to go buy 200 AA batteries and play my Sega GameGear.
2008-08-30, 11:33 PM #38
I would fix my installation of JK to play that!
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2008-09-03, 7:59 AM #39
A side-scrolling mod for JK would be pretty cool. Kudos on the hilariously effective implementation, Shred.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-09-05, 5:37 PM #40
:(

Where were you when I needed someone to help me code a side-scrolling camera for Showdown.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless

↑ Up to the top!