Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dec. 7, 1941
Dec. 7, 1941
2003-12-07, 4:54 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikus:
There is no such thing as a cowardly attack in war, the only cowardly action is retreat. In war you do whatever you can to win, the more of the enemy you kill the better, at least they attacked a MILITARY target. Oh, and I know it was in poor taste but don't expect me to apologize to some dead guys who PROBABLY don't read these forums.

</font>

It wasn't war. It was an attack. War was not declared when they attacked.

Maybe not an apology, but some sort statement such as: "Oops, I screwed up. I made a really unfunny joke," would be appropriate. Of course, you don't even care that it is in poor taste which is a big part of the problem.
2003-12-07, 4:56 PM #42
Oh, yeah, Mikus, you know all about war, having not been in it and all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2003-12-07, 4:57 PM #43
Supplying weapons to the enemy is an act of war where I come from. Yeah I made an unfunny joke, but I really am not remorseful. Sadly, I just don't care what a bunch of people I will never meet think of me. I suppose an apology would do wonders for inter-fora relations but meh.

------------------
June 16 - A night to remember
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
2003-12-07, 4:59 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Oh, yeah, Mikus, you know all about war, having not been in it and all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

That's right, no one should ever talk about anything unless they have personally experienced it, we had better not hear another word about war, death, god, and about 90% of the sciences on these forums again.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
2003-12-07, 5:00 PM #45
So why do you think you should be allowed to post that offensive nonsense?

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:01 PM #46
Why not? People are too whiny and sensitive these days.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:02 PM #47
...because there are forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up. It's not fair that you're allowed to get away with something by just saying, "Blah blah don't whine!"

And, Mikus, how do you know retreating is cowardly? What movie did you take that from? If retreating can help win a war or save lives, I don't see how it's cowardly.

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:04 PM #48
No, your just being insensitive.

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-12-07, 5:07 PM #49
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say retreats are cowardly, I said the only cowardly thing to do is retreat. In war there are no cowardly attacks, only cowardly retreats, although there are many wise, strategic retreats that are complelete necessary and please, show me where in the rules it says "Don't be proud of Japan"

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:08 PM #50
Oh good work all of you! You turned a serrious thread about a dark time in history into a complete flame war. Way to show respect for the dead all. I'm not gonna call you guys stupid but what your doing is pretty dumb.
2003-12-07, 5:09 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikus:
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say retreats are cowardly, I said the only cowardly thing to do is retreat.
</font>

uhm... what

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-12-07, 5:10 PM #52
It's not being proud of Japan that's against the rules, it's insulting us that is.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited December 07, 2003).]
2003-12-07, 5:15 PM #53
ALL COWARDS RETREAT. NOT ALL THOSE WHO RETREAT ARE COWARDS

DO YOU NEED A DIAGRAM?

[http://www.boomspeed.com/mikus/diagram.jpg]

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:17 PM #54
The image is broken, but the question is...

How are you gonna save yourself? How is anyone who flamed you gonna save themselves? How is this thread gonna end happily? Is God shaking his head at all of you?

Answers to these and more after da lock.
2003-12-07, 5:19 PM #55
Thank you for supporting the unprovoked attacks that killed people in my family that I could have had to grow up with me and not be senselessly killed.

------------------
1 of 14 - The Coucil still lives
6-16 Never Forget.
Click.
People I don't like: FeTT, Pugler
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2003-12-07, 5:19 PM #56
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with everyone else, Mikus, and outlining why as you have in some of your posts on this thread....but "PWNED BY JAPAN!" is just pure flame bait.

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-07, 5:19 PM #57
Trying to fix it, my host is down.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:20 PM #58
Mikus, you have a somewhat valid statement, but I find it flawed. First, you can be a coward and not retreat. And second, if you were in a blazing battlefield, you'd probably feel a lot different about retreating or saving yourself. Oh, but wait, you don't need to be in a battlefield to understand what it's like, CoD is just like the real thing!

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:21 PM #59
You're welcome [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:23 PM #60
Why did you bother to come back? I mean, does anybody even like you?

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2003-12-07, 5:23 PM #61
I wouldn't know, I don't play war games, I abhor violence.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:23 PM #62
So Mikus why don't you jump around a field singing to yourself, "I feel so happy that I pissed of some people on the internet. They can't ever find me. La la la."

Fine. But showing no care of other people's feelings is shameful. Do you just go around in real life like that? I hope not. If your friend lost a family member on Sept. 11, are you going to say, "Well, that's why you shouldn't be in tall buildings. Har, har, har." Maybe you wouldn't because you have to meet face-to-face. So you feel that the internet is a place for you to say what you want and hide. Thus, you can just lower your standards all you want. Woopy doo. People here have feelings too if you didn't notice.

If you want to say something ugly, keep it to yourself. We are not "dummies" here.

sorry for getting off-topic

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-07, 5:24 PM #63
...which directly contradicts your opinions about war.

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:24 PM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Why did you bother to come back? I mean, does anybody even like you?

</font>

Specifically and expressly to piss you off.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:26 PM #65
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Fine. But showing no care of other people's feelings is shameful. Do you just go around in real life like that? I hope not. If your friend lost a family member on Sept. 11, are you going to say, "Well, that's why you shouldn't be in tall buildings. Har, har, har."</font>

Yes, I say things like that ALL THE TIME, seriously. I totally laughed in this guys face 'cause his grandmother died.

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:28 PM #66
Part of FDR's speech to Congress the day after the attack:

"It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace"

Japan had /not/ made an official declaration of war before the attack. While they were planning and setting up the attack, they led the US to believe peace was obtainable. December 7th is about remembering those who died in the attack, not about the fall of Japan, which didnt even happen for another 4 years or so. We did not invade Japan on December 7th. You said we "celebrate the fall of a nation [we] invaded without cause". What do you think Japan would have done had we attacked first? Sat around with their thumb up their *** and let us continue to attack? No. They would've responded with an attack of their own. So I dont see how you can say that attacking Japan was without cause.
Too whiny and sensitive? Go find a Vietnam vet and make fun of his fellow soldiers that were killed in that country, and see what happens.
America was not at war. They had no reason to believe there would be an attack on the US because the Japanese government was negotiating with the US. Would you like us to make cold remarks about all the Japanese who died when we invaded? Would you like us to talk about how Hiroshima got pwned by a nuke?

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints
2003-12-07, 5:33 PM #67
Wow, a valid argument without personal attacks! TAKE NOTES FELLAS!

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:35 PM #68
The mind reels from irony.

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:37 PM #69
Where did I make a personal attack Emon? WHERE?

------------------
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
2003-12-07, 5:39 PM #70
you know, i remember cavey being banned for his pic of a plane crashing into the WTC with "pwned" on it

personally, i see no difference between what cavey did, and what Mikus is doing right now

------------------
landfish -Official Massasi Brute Squad Member.....ph34r meh
wraa!
7 of 14 in the council of 14
"im not close-minded. you're just wrong" -Bucky Katt "Get Fuzzy"
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2003-12-07, 5:39 PM #71
[...you really did wake up this morning determined to poke as many bears as possible didn't you? See you in a week.]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited December 07, 2003).]
2003-12-07, 5:39 PM #72
*hits head against keyboard*

------------------
---@%
2003-12-07, 5:40 PM #73
I didn't say you did, but your indirect insults and general attitude are far from pleasant.

------------------
2003-12-07, 5:40 PM #74
Personal attack, no, flame bait, yes. Neither are particularly productive.

My there's been a lot of conflict on the forums today, has the christmas spirit NOT filtered through yet? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2003-12-07, 5:40 PM #75
[Yoink! Settle down unless you want a vacation too.]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited December 07, 2003).]
<SalvadorChicka> i wasn't all "omg canadians have sex with each other!"
2003-12-07, 5:54 PM #76
<3 Jaiph

------------------
landfish -Official Massasi Brute Squad Member.....ph34r meh
wraa!
7 of 14 in the council of 14
"im not close-minded. you're just wrong" -Bucky Katt "Get Fuzzy"
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2003-12-07, 5:55 PM #77
Happy holidays everyone. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
---@%
2003-12-07, 7:36 PM #78
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lateralus:
Thank you for supporting the unprovoked attacks that killed people in my family that I could have had to grow up with me and not be senselessly killed.

</font>

I'm sorry to hear that, but there are a couple wrong things. The attack was provoked, and it wasn't senseless. That is all.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-07, 8:49 PM #79
Two points:

- It's funny that, as Mikus said, I made a post with valid arguments without personal attacks. Yet nobody responds to my arguments. They resort back to insults. GJ community.

- Tho I do not support terrorism or 9/11, you can say it was provoked. With the war on Iraq, it was a 'preemptive' strike. We attacked them out of fear of them attacking us first. Well, if you want to go with that doctorine, you could say 9/11 was a preemptive strike from terrorists that thought we would go after them first. Again, I have no love for terrorism. But you gotta be careful how you try to reason things, cause the door can swing both ways.

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints
2003-12-07, 9:09 PM #80
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There is no such thing as a cowardly attack in war, the only cowardly action is retreat. In war you do whatever you can to win, the more of the enemy you kill the better, at least they attacked a MILITARY target. Oh, and I know it was in poor taste but don't expect me to apologize to some dead guys who PROBABLY don't read these forums.</font>

Except the Japanese pilots who took part in the attack, after learning that war had not yet been declared, felt ashamed: "it is not honorable to attack a sleeping enemy." So who exactly are you supporting?

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to say that the Japanese were just misunderstood, and that we should have tried to ta(aaaaaaaa)lk to them. Or that the US needed to be taught a lesson, and Tojo wasn't really that bad a guy. Cave? McHale? Anyone? Good.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art

↑ Up to the top!