Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's kinda sad that George wants to ban gay marriage. :(
It's kinda sad that George wants to ban gay marriage. :(
2004-02-24, 6:39 AM #1
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/24/bush_gay_marriage040224

He wants to ammend the constitution. But there are lots of gay Americans.
As stupid as this may sound, I think it's mean and sad that he would try to exclude so many fellow citizens.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-24, 6:40 AM #2
Can't say I'm surprised.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-24, 6:41 AM #3
I think it's stupid that people act like this is such a horrible thing to do and that it's descrimination. It's his opinion, and his belief. He has one just like you have yours. There's nothing "sad" about it. Get over it. You don't even live here.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-24, 6:43 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
I think it's stupid that people act like this is such a horrible thing to do and that it's descrimination. It's his opinion, and his belief. He has one just like you have yours. There's nothing "sad" about it. Get over it. You don't even live here.

</font>

His opinions shouldn't be law. That's what you'd call a dictatorship.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-24, 6:43 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Can't say I'm surprised.</font>

Aye, and Im glad he finally got around to it.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-02-24, 6:45 AM #6
Quote:

</font>

Then how the hell else is he supposed to make decisions? If you were president and make gay marriage legal everywhere in the country, I could say the EXACT same thing. "Your opinion shouldn't be law!"
No, his opinion IS law. That's what makes him president.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:45 AM #7
Quote:
</font>

Wasn't a dear friend of yours a girl in a boy's body

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-24, 6:46 AM #8
Even though I don't live there, it effects me.
You know like the time a bunch of southerners came to Ottawa and protested that we allow this kind of thing to happen.

Anyway, regardless of where I live or where I can vote, this makes me sad. People still hold these kinds of religious dicriminations in this day and age.
I also think it's sad that people (like George) can't open thier hearts and minds and let people do what makes them happy.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:47 AM #9
Quote:
Then how the hell else is he supposed to make decisions? If you were president and make gay marriage legal everywhere in the country, I could say the EXACT same thing. "Your opinion shouldn't be law!"
No, his opinion IS law. That's what makes him president.

</font>

President or not, it's not his decision to make. He's supposed to run the country, not run people's lives and force others to follow his beliefs.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:47 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
Wasn't a dear friend of yours a girl in a boy's body

</font>

Supposedly. What's your point? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:48 AM #11
Then what's the point of having a leader, Flex? Like I said, that's his JOB. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean he's not doing it well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 6:48 AM #12
I thought there was a little government opposition type thingy in between his opinions and what will eventually become law...

at least that's how it's meant to work here [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

As it happens, I'm all for gay marriages - a lot of people disagree, but I can't see anything wrong with it - *shrugs*

/2 pence

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-02-24, 6:49 AM #13
There's both sides to it Flexor and Correction.
People voted for George (or any president) because they agreed with the direction he wanted to take the country in.
But the president can't just make ammendments to the constitution without consulting the people's representatives. So his opinion doesn't automatically become law.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:50 AM #14
Um... you're right, Evad. He can't. That's why there's a wonderfully lovely process he's going to have to go through before it becomes an ammendment.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:52 AM #15
Well, what if your friend wanted to get married?

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:53 AM #16
Then if it's against the law, I guess she can't.

------------------
2004-02-24, 6:53 AM #17
It was also an opinion and belief that segregation was good for society. Another notable past opinion and belief was that women lacked the mental capability to vote. But there's nothing "sad" about those things, right?

There are still people out there that believe interracial relationships are wrong. Would it be right for the president to propose an amendment to ban those?

Upon reading the article however, it seems that individual states may be allowed to define other "legal arrangements," which in my eyes could perhaps result in a satisfactory compromise. I don't know.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-24, 6:54 AM #18
Which is why having a minimum of 2/3 states' approval is nice. It ensures that if a president presents a proposition, be it radically/moderately conservative or radically/moderately liberal, it requires the majority of the people's approval to pass.

Wuss - "legal arrangements" is an extremely vague term. It can interpreted in nearly any way.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited February 24, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-24, 6:57 AM #19
Wuss, you can hardly compare this to women's sufferage. Gay marriage is seen by many people as morally wrong (both religious and nonreligious types). If George Bush sees it as morally wrong and believes he has a duty to put an end to it, no, there's nothing "sad" about that at all. There's no reason anyone should act so self-righteous as to pretend to be heartbroken over it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Correction, you fail to understand that it is not the Presidents job to make the rules, only to enforce them.

</font>

And here is a prime example of him doing his job: enforcing a rule which he believes in.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 6:57 AM #20
Correction, you fail to understand that it is not the Presidents job to make the rules, only to enforce them.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-24, 7:03 AM #21
What about a ban against interracial relationships? That's believed by some to be morally wrong (both religious and nonreligious types). Would there anything sad about that, Correction?

All I mean, Correction, is that you can be sincere... and still be sincerely wrong.

------------------
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-24, 7:03 AM #22
And Evad does his job, he questions that decision by the government

(in this case, he does it for the apathetic Americans, since he is not American)

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:07 AM #23
And Evad can equally have his opinion. My point is not whether or not I agree with him, my point is simply that people need to stop seeing these things as trajedies. There's nothing here to cry over. Have your opinion, but don't come up with this "oh this is so horrible I'm so sad!" crap.

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:07 AM #24
I don't think anyone but a gay couple is heart broken over it.
I personally find it sad. I almost feel sorry for those people that agree with George on this. I almost feel sorry for George for thinking this way. :/
Just the way I feel and see it.

Really and truely, who actually gives a crap if 2 guys or 2 girls get married because they love each other? Who cares and why should they?
If they do care that much that they would waste a whole bunch of other peoples time, and money, over something that should be trivial to those that it doesn't effect (and that's everyone that isn't married to someone of the same sex), then the person wasting everyone elses time and money should get a real jop and do something constructive for society and thier lives.

(a bit harsh but when it comes right down to it, as I've mentioned in other threads about other things, I can't believe the American people allow their government to spend more than $1.50 of thier tax dollars on this topic and others that don't matter to the government)

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:11 AM #25
Because, Evad, while it may seem pointless to you, those who think it's morally wrong see it as a just cause.

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:11 AM #26
btw, something I forgot to mention, you don't have to be liberal or conservative or green to see that this subject is 100% religiously motivated. Something that should not even be considered by the government.

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:14 AM #27
It's morally wrong to steal, kill, rape, lie...
In the country that is America, 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.', land of the free, there seems to be a lack of freedom in this case.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Darth Evad (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 7:20 AM #28
The similarities between interracial marriage and gay marriage are numerous and powerful. In both cases those who wish to partake already have the "right to marry", just not the person that they want to.

I've said it before, and I've no doubt I'll say it again; giving the rights to two people of the same sex to marry in no way reduces the rights of anyone else in any way.

*Why* do some people want to ban it? Because it's "icky"? Because their religion disagrees with it? For the first, why is no one up in arms about banning licorice? I mean, that stuff's thousands of times offensive than any gay marriage; gay marriage doesn't trick you into thinking it's actually a normal flavoured jelly bean, only to leave you gasping for breath as you taste its awful licoricy flavour, and run gagging to spit out the disgusting substance into the bin...

And don't you think that if suddenly religious beliefs are made into law you might find yourselves not only when trying to marry the person that you love, but when you're trying to get an Ice Cream Crunchie (damn, they're good...) at the 7-11 on a Saturday (which is closed, of course, it being wrong to work on the Sabbath), or eat pork? What about when your girlfriend is arrested for not wearing clothing that completely covers her? And what if a neighbouring tribe rapes and pillages your town for Odin?

At what point is a religious belief so antiquated or so irrelevant that it should have no basis on law? Bishop Jones is not going to be forced to marry two men in the same way that Rabbi Goldenstein isn't going to have pork shoved down his mouth; but those who would like to have pork or marry whomever they love should be able to without a bunch of people trying to legislate something that doesn't concern them and has no effect on them.
2004-02-24, 7:23 AM #29
By definition of the Constitution the President only enforces the laws made by Congress. Y'all are crying out that this is a dictatorship. It's not. To amend the Constitution, you have to have 2/3 of both House and Senate and you have to get 3/4 of the state legislatures to approve of the amendment. This will be impossible to pass.

The gays will marry..trust me.

Matthew: Hate is fueling this fire. Whether it be religious or not, people hate the thought of gays getting married.
------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>

[This message has been edited by Gandalf1120 (edited February 24, 2004).]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-02-24, 7:26 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
For the first, why is no one up in arms about banning licorice? I mean, that stuff's thousands of times offensive than any gay marriage; gay marriage doesn't trick you into thinking it's actually a normal flavoured jelly bean, only to leave you gasping for breath as you taste its awful licoricy flavour, and run gagging to spit out the disgusting substance into the bin...</font>

Amen. That stuff is nasty.

------------------
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-24, 7:31 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Matthew: Hate is fueling this fire. Whether it be religious or not, people hate the thought of gays getting married.</font>

Ugh. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-02-24, 7:39 AM #32
And what do I have to say with this thread?

I have too many things to say, but I don't want to start any flame wars.

I just say that religion nowadays is so damn ridiculou. Marriage can be achieved without going to the church and have some sappy happy wedding ceremony. Being together can be achieved in many other ways, but old habits (like marriage) cannot be broken so easily. But who cares what I think?

I just can't make up the words. Meh. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-02-24, 7:49 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
A recent nationwide CNN poll found that by a margin of 64-32, those surveyed said gay marriages should not be recognized in law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages.
</font>

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040224/D80TNENO0.html

It comes down to what the people want. It looks to me like they want it banned. It's much like the death penalty. Enough people want it, they get it. But in this case, it's gonna be a damn close vote.

[This message has been edited by Morfildor (edited February 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Morfildor (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 7:51 AM #34
What a familiar topic.

Anyway, as long as it would be only an opinion, it would be all right, but here the case is that Mr. Bush wants to enforce his beliefs. And that is wrong.

------------------
"Most people fail to realise their insignificance because of their utter stupidity." -Unknown

-@%
2004-02-24, 8:21 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">At what point is a religious belief so antiquated or so irrelevant that it should have no basis on law? Bishop Jones is not going to be forced to marry two men in the same way that Rabbi Goldenstein isn't going to have pork shoved down his mouth; but those who would like to have pork or marry whomever they love should be able to without a bunch of people trying to legislate something that doesn't concern them and has no effect on them.</font>

Precisely.

If bush is against gay marriage, then he just has to not marry another guy. And the same applies to whoever is against gay marriage. No matter how many people believe in those values, they have no right to force it upon others.

------------------
2004-02-24, 8:23 AM #36
Quote:
And here is a prime example of him doing his job: enforcing a rule which he believes in.

</font>

His job isnt to enforce rules that he believes in, its to enforce the rules that congress decides upon. And since congress represents the people, ideally, it would be the people that make this decision.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-02-24, 8:36 AM #37
What I don't like about Bush is how he seems to have given his Executive branch too much power. What I remember from the Social Studies classes while living on that side of the pond is that the Judicial, Executive, and Legislative branches should be equal in strength and should be able to have some influence on the other through the system of checks and balances. None should be able to overpower the other.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-02-24, 8:40 AM #38
Quote:
</font>

NO. It's a logical step to take as many, many Americans are concerned with it. This is a democracy, if the people want it banned, so be it. You can't simply cry 'dictatorship' everytime there is something you disagree with.

Quote:
President or not, it's not his decision to make. He's supposed to run the country, not run people's lives and force others to follow his beliefs.
</font>

No, it's his decision to bring it up and enforce what the people vote for.

Quote:
People voted for George (or any president) because they agreed with the direction he wanted to take the country in.
But the president can't just make ammendments to the constitution without consulting the people's representatives. So his opinion doesn't automatically become law.
</font>

Like Correction said, we have a process for that.

Quote:
</font>

It's his job to enforce the will of the people of this democracy.

Quote:
What about a ban against interracial relationships? That's believed by some to be morally wrong (both religious and nonreligious types). Would there anything sad about that, Correction?
All I mean, Correction, is that you can be sincere... and still be sincerely wrong.
</font>

If enough people want it, that's fine. There's nothing sad at all about it. It's how our government works.

Quote:
btw, something I forgot to mention, you don't have to be liberal or conservative or green to see that this subject is 100% religiously motivated. Something that should not even be considered by the government.
</font>

No, science has its involvement in it, too.

Quote:
It's morally wrong to steal, kill, rape, lie...
</font>

And I suppose you are going to tell me that has no religious origin?

Quote:
The similarities between interracial marriage and gay marriage are numerous and powerful. In both cases those who wish to partake already have the "right to marry", just not the person that they want to.
I've said it before, and I've no doubt I'll say it again; giving the rights to two people of the same sex to marry in no way reduces the rights of anyone else in any way.

*Why* do some people want to ban it? Because it's "icky"? Because their religion disagrees with it? For the first, why is no one up in arms about banning licorice? I mean, that stuff's thousands of times offensive than any gay marriage; gay marriage doesn't trick you into thinking it's actually a normal flavoured jelly bean, only to leave you gasping for breath as you taste its awful licoricy flavour, and run gagging to spit out the disgusting substance into the bin...

And don't you think that if suddenly religious beliefs are made into law you might find yourselves not only when trying to marry the person that you love, but when you're trying to get an Ice Cream Crunchie (damn, they're good...) at the 7-11 on a Saturday (which is closed, of course, it being wrong to work on the Sabbath), or eat pork? What about when your girlfriend is arrested for not wearing clothing that completely covers her? And what if a neighbouring tribe rapes and pillages your town for Odin?

At what point is a religious belief so antiquated or so irrelevant that it should have no basis on law? Bishop Jones is not going to be forced to marry two men in the same way that Rabbi Goldenstein isn't going to have pork shoved down his mouth; but those who would like to have pork or marry whomever they love should be able to without a bunch of people trying to legislate something that doesn't concern them and has no effect on them.
</font>

Like I said before, it's up to the people to decide on the issue and enough have voiced their opinions to have this all considered on a constitutional level.

Quote:
By definition of the Constitution the President only enforces the laws made by Congress. Y'all are crying out that this is a dictatorship. It's not. To amend the Constitution, you have to have 2/3 of both House and Senate and you have to get 3/4 of the state legislatures to approve of the amendment. This will be impossible to pass.
The gays will marry..trust me.
</font>

Impossible? If the House and Senate truly represent the people, I think not. See my earlier post.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Terra111:
What a familiar topic.

Anyway, as long as it would be only an opinion, it would be all right, but here the case is that Mr. Bush wants to enforce his beliefs. And that is wrong.

</font>

So? The belief that the death penalty is right has been forced on me for a long time.
2004-02-24, 8:44 AM #39
Quote:
Precisely.

If bush is against gay marriage, then he just has to not marry another guy. And the same applies to whoever is against gay marriage. No matter how many people believe in those values, they have no right to force it upon others.

</font>

According to our constitution, they do.

Quote:
His job isnt to enforce rules that he believes in, its to enforce the rules that congress decides upon. And since congress represents the people, ideally, it would be the people that make this decision.
</font>

And about two-thirds of the people oppose gay marriage.

Quote:
What I don't like about Bush is how he seems to have given his Executive branch too much power. What I remember from the Social Studies classes while living on that side of the pond is that the Judicial, Executive, and Legislative branches should be equal in strength and should be able to have some influence on the other through the system of checks and balances. None should be able to overpower the other.
</font>

Don't blame Bush. The Executive branch has had more power in certain areas for a long, long time.
2004-02-24, 8:49 AM #40
Despite the number of people that oppose gay marriage, I think an amendment is going just alittle too far. If it even happens, it will be challenged in court on speration of church and state. Also, amednments generally guarantee people rights, not with hold them

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!