Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's kinda sad that George wants to ban gay marriage. :(
It's kinda sad that George wants to ban gay marriage. :(
2004-02-24, 11:27 AM #81
I'm talking about Bush Dor.
WTH are you talking about? Light up sneakers? WTH?

And finity5, I'm stating my morals to try and figure out where oS is going with the moral issue.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-02-24, 11:33 AM #82
I'm only addressing the moral aspects, because if I note my thoughts on how homosexuality is wrong, I'll get blasted for being a.. what was it again? Oh yes. I'll get called "a homophobe closed minded religious zealot with a lack of understanding and a political agenda" by some a crazy liberal. And as luck would have it, Massassi is just flooded with crazy liberals, so the odds are definitely in favor of that.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-02-24, 11:34 AM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

So you have morals, thats just great. I am not a religious person, and I have morals also. Being gay goes against my morals, apparently not yours though.

</font>

So you've just admitted that what is 'moral' isn't something set in stone, but a set of personal values and beliefs different from one person to another.

That concidered, what gives you the right to impose your own morals over everyone else's?

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-24, 11:36 AM #84
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
If I believe that it is wrong to kill, steal and rape, that has nothing to with god or religion.
It's just wrong to do that.
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
btw, something I forgot to mention, you don't have to be liberal or conservative or green to see that this subject is 100% religiously motivated. Something that should not even be considered by the government.

</font>

I think it's funny when you simultaneously support two opposing views.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-02-24, 11:39 AM #85
Only opposing if you misinterpret his words.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-02-24, 11:39 AM #86
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I don't care if gay people want to "be together forever" and get the tax benefits. What I object to is using the term "marriage" to describe a union between two people of the same sex. The word "marriage" specifically means a union between 1 man and 1 woman. If you want a "civil union" - FINE. Don't call it a marriage, though, that's a pollution of the language.

</font>

Not many disagree with you there. "Marriage" should be struck from the law books and be replaced with "civil union" or soemthing along those lines to give anyone the legal benefits that "marriage" has today. If people want to go a step further and get "married" (the religious definition) in a church then they can do that if they want to.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-02-24, 11:40 AM #87
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
So you've just admitted that what is 'moral' isn't something set in stone, but a set of personal values and beliefs different from one person to another.

That concidered, what gives you the right to impose your own morals over everyone else's?

</font>

What he admitted was that they both have differing moral views, not that a set of absolutely truthful morals doesn't exist.

There's a distinction. If his morals are closer to the way things are (morals of absolute truth), then he should of course be trying to instruct his fellow man in his enlightened ways.

Does that answer your question?

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-02-24, 11:40 AM #88
...didn't we just have this thread? Or several? It might be approaching dead horse phase by now.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-24, 11:41 AM #89
Quote:
That concidered, what gives you the right to impose your own morals over everyone else's?</font>

The same right you have to impose yours over his. This isn't a "me-ocracy." It's a "democracy." Where everyone should get a voice on a matter, not just the ones that agree with you.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-24, 11:43 AM #90
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
What he admitted was that they both have differing moral views, not that a set of absolutely truthful morals doesn't exist.

There's a distinction. If his morals are closer to the way things are (morals of absolute truth), then he should of course be trying to instruct his fellow man in his enlightened ways.

Does that answer your question?

</font>

Morals of absolute truth? Sounds like close-minded religious fanatic talk to me!

Oh wait, didn't you just predict a crazy liberal would call you that? Wow, you must be a prophet! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-02-24, 11:46 AM #91
Quote:

</font>

And who said I am imposing my morals? I stated that being gay goes against my morals, but not Evads. I did not say, OMG YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW MY MORALS! At least I dont remember saying that...
2004-02-24, 11:51 AM #92
Quote:
Morals of absolute truth? Sounds like close-minded religious fanatic talk to me!

Oh wait, didn't you just predict a crazy liberal would call you that? Wow, you must be a prophet! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Morals are absolute truth. A world without murder. That makes people happier (don't have to be worried about being killed). Without lies. That makes people happier (don't have to worry about covering lies with lies). Without stealing. Makes people happier (don't have to worry about your stuff getting stolen).

These are observations which always seem to be true, regardless of religion, belief, situation, whatever. It's just the way things are. The way things are best for everyone. You probably know from experience that these ideas are often true, no? I mean, how can you deny them? If you don't believe it, experiment sometime. I have.

Also, you called yourself crazy. Hah. :P

Edit: I'm done with this thread. I've said my part, I've stated what I know to be true. With that, I'm done, and I only hope you can take a second to contemplate what I've said and evaluate it. Some of you will never get what I'm saying and reject it, and maybe some of you will get it, though, and for that it's worth making these few posts.
------------------
Ω of 14

[This message has been edited by oSiRiS (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 11:52 AM #93
Quote:

And who said I am imposing my morals? I stated that being gay goes against my morals, but not Evads. I did not say, OMG YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW MY MORALS! At least I dont remember saying that...

</font>

The very fact that you think gay marriage should be banned. Like I said, if you're against gay marriage, then don't marry another man. But what you're saying is that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to marry because you and people who think like you find it immoral. Thus, you're trying to impose your beliefs on them.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

------------------
2004-02-24, 11:54 AM #94
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Morals are absolute truth. A world without murder. That makes people happier (don't have to be worried about being killed). Without lies. That makes people happier (don't have to worry about covering lies with lies). Without stealing. Makes people happier (don't have to worry about your stuff getting stolen).
</font>

Yes, but a world without gays doesn't make everyone happier.

------------------
2004-02-24, 11:56 AM #95
oS, as I replied to Dor, when it comes to Bush, I belive the amendment is religiously motivated.

------------------
2004-02-24, 11:58 AM #96
Quote:
Yes, but a world without gays doesn't make everyone happier.</font>

It just makes everyone gay.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-02-24, 12:04 PM #97
[1st strike, that crossed a line and you know it]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 12:06 PM #98
Quote:
You know what, screw it. Put all these quebees on an island and let them do their thing.</font>

Now we're close to it

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-02-24, 12:06 PM #99
Oh boy. I hope there was halk an inkling of sarcasm there. If not, you might want to run and hide somewhere for a little while.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-24, 12:07 PM #100
Marriage

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-24, 12:08 PM #101
Na, Ill just sit back and wait to be banned.
2004-02-24, 12:12 PM #102
You should try to get to the root of your irrational hatred instead

------------------
2004-02-24, 12:15 PM #103
[2nd strike, see you in a week]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 12:17 PM #104
Whom other people feel attracted to really gets you worked up, doesn't it

------------------
2004-02-24, 12:20 PM #105
Not exactly a smart *** comment

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-24, 12:25 PM #106
It's pretty screwed up that two people can't get married just because they're the same sex. I mean some tramp like Britney Spears can have the "sanctity" and "deep meaning" of marriage for 50 hours for "fun." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Before people start going up in arms about how gays would tarnish "marriage," how about y'all wait until straights make it a perfect image before saying they would ruin it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

When you think about it, what reasons do straights get married that tend to end up in divorce?

-Tax benefeits
-Unplanned pregnancies
-Jokes
-Immature love

^--That's some real deep meaning right there.

So basically, alot of gays that want to get married do it because they want to be with their partner. Big frickin deal. Talk about hypocrites, people make a big deal when a couple live together out of wedlock, then you make it so a couple can't even get into wedlock. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Everybody needs to stop acting like heterosexuals are perfect beings, that it is the perfect sex preference. It is a ridiculous dream brought on by hypocritcism and blindness.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-02-24, 12:25 PM #107
If people can't debate without their emotions getting the better of them, just don't debate.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-02-24, 12:28 PM #108
Indeed Greedo. More than 50% of marriages today end in divorce. Great precentage for "Death do us part"

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-02-24, 12:35 PM #109
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
Before people start going up in arms about how gays would tarnish "marriage," how about y'all wait until straights make it a perfect image before saying they would ruin it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]</font>

More or less precisely what i said in the last thread. Maybe we should just temporarily ban /all/ marriages until we get it worked out better or something.

Every time i think of that i'm reminded of Apu [sp]: "But mother, did you not know that 1 in 25 arranged marriages end in divorce?"

And Evad: Ok, so sure Bush is doing this out of a religious belief, whatever. He cannot singlehandedly pass laws or ammendments, he does not have nearly the power or scapegoatblame-factor people generally try to assign the president. And beyond that, the general summary of your feelings seems to be: It's fine for people to be [religious/democrat/perl-coder/canadian/polisci-major] just so long as their beliefs and philosophies and viewpoints never effect any of their actions words motives or whatever else..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-02-24, 12:53 PM #110
I think Avenger has the right idea. Completely strike the word "marriage" from the law books (all of them). Replace it with civil union and be done with it. Marriage -is- and -should be- something that's religious.

Hell, the more I think about it, who cares about civil unions in the first place? Why should the law care about them? Why should people get tax breaks just because they decide to "be together?" The government shouldn't care about this stuff.
2004-02-24, 12:54 PM #111
Okay guys, all this has been has been opinions so far, not facts. Fact: IT WILL SCREW UP OUR TAXATION SYSTEM! Fact: IT WILL SCREW UP INSURANCE AND LIFE INSURANCE PLANS. Fact: IT WILL CAUSE ANARCHY BETWEEN MUNICIPAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAWS.

It being "Gay Marriages"

Listen I have nothing against gay people but it will do these things. Why? Taxes with couples are based between a man and a woman being married, and that won't change overnight. Just because some idiot goes "Okay guys can marry guys and girls can marry girls" doesn't mean that it will change everything overnight. Benefit plans will be screwed up because of this fact too. ALSO, it will cause other rights groups to demand more power, more freedoms, where they really don't deserve or need them, neither will they use them. Think sensibly guys; for all I care gays can do whatever they want (not to me). I have gay friends, and I'm completely cool with it. But even THEY agree gays shouldn't be able to marry.

[EDIT]
What Brian said and I guess Avenger said is all right to me. Although I think that through marriage you should get the same thing as "civil unions" only also be recognized under a church. Gays can't belong to a lot of religions, because there are few that accept them, that's how it is. The religions aren't going to change, and no matter how much they 'say' there are certain sects of religion that accept them (gay churches [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] ) there aren't. Those are their own fabricated religions. Face it, marriage between gays is NOT a great idea.
[/EDIT]
------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited February 24, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-02-24, 1:01 PM #112
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Because, Evad, while it may seem pointless to you, those who think it's morally wrong see it as a just cause.

</font>

They're still wrong though. The KKK saw persecuting blacks as a just cause, but that doesn't make it right. And just for you, I'll post the AIM log.

Code:
Roy cIX: give me all ur lubbin
S i t h 8 0 0: k
S i t h 8 0 0: <3
Roy cIX: oh yes!

[This message has been edited by Thrawn42689 (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 1:05 PM #113
YOU think they're wrong. But black people are born black. Whether or not gays are born gay is rather disputed... therefore, it can still easily be seen as morally wrong.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-02-24, 1:07 PM #114
I urge everyone to take a Human Sexuality class; you might learn something!
Those bees all have paws!
2004-02-24, 1:08 PM #115
There's one word that describes this: discrimination. This isn't the first time this country has had a history of bigotry. Remember the African Americans that had few rights up until not so many years ago. This isn't about wanting the religious kind of marriage; this is about wanting an actual recognition of being joined legally, a civil union.
2004-02-24, 1:13 PM #116
Okay do you guys get this--

IT SCREW UP OUR MONEY
IT IS RELIGIOUS
RELIGIONS VIEW IT AS WRONG.

Get it? Got it? Good.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-02-24, 1:15 PM #117
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fact: IT WILL SCREW UP OUR TAXATION SYSTEM! Fact: IT WILL SCREW UP INSURANCE AND LIFE INSURANCE PLANS. Fact: IT WILL CAUSE ANARCHY BETWEEN MUNICIPAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAWS.</font>

...it won't screw up taxation, insurance, or anything else. Good Lord.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 24, 2004).]
2004-02-24, 1:15 PM #118
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's fine for people to be [religious/democrat/perl-coder/canadian/polisci-major] just so long as their beliefs and philosophies and viewpoints never effect any of their actions words motives or whatever else..</font>

What the heck are you talking about Dor?

I'm trying to say that I find it sad that Bush is trying to put his religious beliefs into a law that for something that as far as we can tell isn't destroying the country. It's making a couple of guys happy. A couple of guys that love each other and love god. And god loves them if he's the guy he's supposed to be. You know, like I said earlier, the sky isn't falling because 2 guys got married today. As a matter of fact no one would know any better if someone didn't make some kind of big fuss over it.

------------------
2004-02-24, 1:22 PM #119
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Okay do you guys get this--

IT SCREW UP OUR MONEY
IT IS RELIGIOUS
RELIGIONS VIEW IT AS WRONG.

Get it? Got it? Good.

</font>

If marriage is purely religious, then remove all tax benefits to married couples. As others mentioned before, gay couples should benefit from the same tax breaks, so why not allow gays to have a similar 'union' but without the religious aspects?

------------------
2004-02-24, 1:25 PM #120
i would ban gay marrage too, simply because if we were all gay more diseases and no reproduction=dead country and race

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.

↑ Up to the top!