Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Signs
Signs
2004-03-04, 5:06 AM #81
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Fear-:
I don't know Geb. I think that part of the charm of the movie is that something so taken for granted by us can be so volitile to something else.

I mean, when thinking of an alien - its all new ground. Therefore, one should not have any expectations on how they behave, what they react to, etc.

I see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree.

</font>

I think you misunderstood me. It doesn't matter if the movie/plot is logically sound or not -- if the audience has beefs with what they're suppose to assume (or not assume as the case may be), the story fails to communicate a believable senario. It might not be fair at times, but those are the breaks. I've found out the hard way many times.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Darkside Chronicles
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-03-04, 5:19 AM #82
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Fear-:
Jin:

Ok, I overstepped my bounds on my comment, and I apologize. I still disagree with you, for the reasons I gave Fox in my last post, but I had no right in name calling you, especially with lack of proof in your regard.

My sincere apologies.

*bows*

</font>

Apology accepted.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-03-04, 5:53 AM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Herein lies my charge of you passing off your opinions as facts. You have based everything off of what you expect the aliens "should" be, in your mind.</font>

BS. I have cited observed instances, which I used to draw my conclusions.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You are assuming. They exhibited no such technology, and you are assuming what they would and would not have.</font>

They didn't because of bad writing. ANY species that is going to go to such lengths: cross interstellar distances, abduct organisms from another planet for food and other resources, would have the technology to protect themselves from such things. Interstellar radiation is not something to sneeze at.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MY THEORY: One possibility is that they have a culture that relies on their own, built in mechanisms (like the mist), and to use technology in a fight is "dishonorable". Another thought is that they did not want humanity to panic until their main force had landed, because they wanted to not give the humans time to prepare.</font>

Show that they find technology to be dishonorable when they used it to travel to Earth.

Yet they make such stupid decisions as positioning their ships over cities, well in view of their inhabitants? How is that surprising the human populatition?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">For the first part, read above. With regards to the atmosphere, it might have a moisture component, but the thing you keep passing off is that from solid to liquid to gas, elements have different properties. You fail to consider that while water in gas form may not be as toxic, water in its concentrated liquid form, with slightly different properties, could be very damaging to them. And using what portion of scientific method I can, I based that on the first rule: Observation.</font>

Sure, but again, what property would nullify water vapor's effect on aliens? Would you say that spraying them with a mist would have no effect? How about dealing with Super Soaker-armed preteens? How about the problem of water condensing on their skin? Why run through fields of corn that are on the verge of ripening, and are soaked with water? Don't forget that at night, dew can become a problem.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">For what? If we are somehow valuable to them, then why kill us and damage the potential goods? The sneak and grab makes more sense.</font>

No sense at all, since they would be aware that we have ranged weapons of our own. They would need such weapons for self-defense, taking down doors, etc.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If there is something very valuable in human physiology that they need, the rist might be worth it. Why would one army go against a bigger army, if it meant bad odds, but the reward was killing the leader? It's because the reward is worth the risk. Simple logic.</font>

Or simply bad writing. Would you invade a planet covered mostly in sulfuric acid, without the benefit of protective gear?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Never once in the movie did it say we were food for the aliens. It suggested it, among other possibilities, but nothing conclusive was ever found as to WHY the aliens abducted us. Hence, this my main proof that you are making large leaps of faith and grand assumptions in order to prove your point. </font>

Then present another plausible reason they abducted us.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I fail to see what you are trying to get at here. Why would they need super technology to coordinate landing parties?</font>

... They need superior technology to navigate through space. As such, they would have no need to resort to making signposts of their own, if they have technology that matches or exceeds our own. Do you spraypaint houses in order to use them as landmarks?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oh, and Phil Plait is an astro-physicist? I thought he was an astronomer? </font>

Not an argument. He is knowledgeable enough in the subject to speak on it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You wanted solid counter-arguments, you got them. </font>

Only after you have been criticized for failing to provide them. Someone here has ego, and it certainly is not me.

-Fox

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 6:39 AM #84
This will be my last reply in this thread.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">BS. I have cited observed instances, which I used to draw my conclusions.</font>

Observances which have your skew on how you think things should be, not as they are presented. You have yet to put forth any unbiased proof. Burden of that is on you.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They didn't because of bad writing. ANY species that is going to go to such lengths: cross interstellar distances, abduct organisms from another planet for food and other resources, would have the technology to protect themselves from such things. Interstellar radiation is not something to sneeze at.</font>

Oh really? even if they have a technology that bypasses that altogether, maybe such as a unique way of space-folding? Again, another assumption on your part. And shame on you for blaming bad writing, although for once, we get to something that is your opinion that is presented as such with that comment. A first for you in this thread. Congrats.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Show that they find technology to be dishonorable when they used it to travel to Earth.</font>

I meant technology used in warfare, not in general, and I don't have to prove anything, because it is a THEORY, as in a possibilty. I, unlike you, do not feel as though I need to present a possibility or my own opinion as 100% fact. It was to show that possibilities outside of what you considered are out there. You have a unique way of pidgeon-holing things into your argument, rather than meet them on objective terms. Kinda like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yet they make such stupid decisions as positioning their ships over cities, well in view of their inhabitants? How is that surprising the human populatition? </font>

The surprise was for the scout troops. Once they got here, we have no time to prepare, and they land en masse - the trap is sprung, and the surprise and confusion sowed worked. It's like you are asking why a military force that sprung a surprise trap didn't keep it more of a surprise... you have to spring the trap sooner or later.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sure, but again, what property would nullify water vapor's effect on aliens? Would you say that spraying them with a mist would have no effect? How about dealing with Super Soaker-armed preteens?</font>

Likely water at a certain density would have an effect. The thing is, we would need:

a) for the aliens to be real
b) an alien corpse or tissue sample
c) to apply scientific method for real this time, to see why that is.

Heck, why is some mold harmful to us, and some have antibiotical properties? It's all mold. My point with that is that until testing, it was all mold, but after, it was discovered there are different kinds of mold, and pennecillin has the antibiotical properties, while some others do not. Therefore, we do not know why water at a certain density affects the aliens in a bad way, but if we were able to, we could via scientific method. Just because we haven't witnessed a behaviour before does not mean it can't happen.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No sense at all, since they would be aware that we have ranged weapons of our own. They would need such weapons for self-defense, taking down doors, etc.</font>

Right, because we would nuke ourselves to kill the aliens, and us too, right? In the military, will a marine go though a heavily guarded front door, when a less secure, less guarded back door will suffice? Therefore, if they have observed us prior to landing, why go though the trouble of going through a door, when a window is just easier? They are smart enough to not make more work for themselves, I would think...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Or simply bad writing. Would you invade a planet covered mostly in sulfuric acid, without the benefit of protective gear?</font>

They weren't hanging around. And consider this - if water harms them, then it is possible that they do not have it on their home planet - therefore, it is possible they do not have water in sufficient quantities to test, and therefore develop a countermeasure to. Perhaps that is why we were so valuable in the movie - you said we are mostly water. We can be taken and studied to find a way around their water issue.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Then present another plausible reason they abducted us.</font>

I just did, and thank you for proving with that statement that you are making assumptions based on your own opinions.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">... They need superior technology to navigate through space. As such, they would have no need to resort to making signposts of their own, if they have technology that matches or exceeds our own. Do you spraypaint houses in order to use them as landmarks?</font>

I knew you wouldn't actually read my post, since you missed the part where I addressed that. You know, the part where I said:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Then you must have not thought of the idea that to get to us was a journey for them, and that the crop circles were done by a scout team while the landing party was only days away, and that the crop circles were only meant as navigation for the landing party, not for interstellar travel to Earth.</font>

How convenient for you. Let me reiterate - the journey to us could have sapped up a ton of resources. Therefore, crop circles was done because it was low tech, and allowed for them to conserve energy for the trip home. There - a plausible explanation.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not an argument. He is knowledgeable enough in the subject to speak on it.</font>

Oh really? Sorry, but I missed the part where using an astronomer to debate matters of alien physiology, physics, and quantum mechanicsis is logical. Shall I grab a restaurant critic to tell you how to be a chef? Or an airline stewardess or steward to tell you how to be a pilot? Point made, though I am certain it will be lost on you.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Only after you have been criticized for failing to provide them.</font>

No, they were always there, just scattered throughout my posts. All this tells me is that you were too lazy to read through my previous posts, and wouldn't actually address anything I said until I consolidated it into one post and spelled it out for you. If anything, that reflects badly on you, not me.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Someone here has ego, and it certainly is not me.</font>

Good note to end on - with the childish "No I'm not, you are! Nyah!" argument.

Your lack of maturity astounds me Fox. You may try to come off as some intellectual hot shot, but I see right through it.

So make whatever comment you need to after my post to feel better about yourself, as I am 100% certain you will do, because I am done with this silly thread. All I needed to do to prove my point was provide that there were possibilities in which the movie made sense, which I did.

The irony is, if you just said "I didn't like the movie." and left it as your opinion, rather than trying to present it as if you were stating absolute fact, I would have much more respect for you. Now, I just kinda pity you.

-------------------
--------------------------------------
Fear is here, where's the beer?

[This message has been edited by -Fear- (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 10:22 AM #85
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Firefox:
Why not? Isn't it common sense that the Earth's surface is covered mostly in water, and that moisture is to be found in the atmosphere?</font>

I'm not going to continue this argument any further. We're only going in circles because you insist on assuming we know everything there is to know about water, how and what the aliens were made up of, and the aliens knew everything about us and our world. For some reason I can't make you understand that they may not be designed like we were. You say they had no weapons- perhaps they did, but since their weapons functioned on another plane of existance they never even effected us enough for us to realize that they're there. You assume that everything is made up of atoms, when it may not be at all. You assume this physical world that humans see and feel and experience and live in is all there is to the universe, and in my opinion, it's almost certainly not. The way I see it, other lifeforms could be living among us right now, and yet because they are compiled of something we've never had the opportunity to study before, or maybe even live on a different world of physics, we can't detect them, and they can't detect us. I leave this argument with that.

(edit - heh, I just read that fear has posted his last post on this thread too. Great minds think alike, I guess? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif])

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited March 04, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-03-04, 10:49 AM #86
Correction, physical water kills the aliens. There is water in the air - moisture, clouds, rain, whatever. This moisture is deadly to their species.

Don't believe that there's water in the air? Here's a little experiment: Fill a glass full of ice and leave it on a table for a few minutes. Where do you think the condensation on the side of the glass comes from?

The aliens would have instantly died the second they set foot on the planet, touched any vegetation, or had a sudden and violent encounter with any combusting materials. End of story. Every single place on the planet has moisture in the soil except that one Mars-like desert (can't remember the name).

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 10:54 AM #87
Jon'C, the point correction and I are trying to make, and that is seemingly going over everyone's head, is that there is a possibility that water, only in it's liquid form, does damage to the aliens. Not in a gas, and not in a solid. Gasses and solids have different properties than each other, and also from liquid. Therefore, it can be argued that they need to avoid water above a certain concentration.

For a better illustration, think of certain drugs or chemicals, that in minute amounts are harmless to us, but are lethal in more concentrated amounts. It's a similar theory to that, and well within the realm of possibility.

------------------
2004-03-04, 10:57 AM #88
There is liquid water in the soil everywhere on the planet except one desert
2004-03-04, 11:02 AM #89
1) Nice comment. Where did it come from? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

2) What part of "Therefore, it can be argued that they need to avoid water above a certain concentration." did you not understand?

BTW, My feet don't seem to get wet when walking on soil barefoot, unless it is right after it rains. And the aliens of the movie seemed to be very conscious of the weather patterns...

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-03-04, 11:15 AM #90
Your feet do get wet, but you don't notice it because your skin is constantly secreting water and skin oil. You can take a piece of dry paper towel, lay it on some bare soil during the day, and it'll come away damp. Put it on grass? More damp. Wait until nightfall and put it on bare soil or grass? Wet.

The world is very, very moist. You just don't notice because: 1.) So are you, and 2.) You weren't looking.

You become painfully aware of how much water is sitting around when you take up hiking.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-03-04, 11:18 AM #91
I know, but it goes back to my thing about the concentration of water. The water concentration on the ground might not be high enough to do harm.

------------------
2004-03-04, 11:22 AM #92
See, though, that's making a pretty huge assumption. All we know is that water kills them. This planet has a very huge amount of water, and it can be found in large amounts on every surface, in every solid ionic compound and at a high concentration in the air. If water is that poisonous to them, they wouldn't even be able to break out some food and eat it without picking up a few billion stray water molecules.

And it really doesn't matter how much 'water concentration' there is. If you have a swimming pool filled with dilute hydrochloric acid, it's going to hurt you eventually.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited March 04, 2004).]
2004-03-04, 11:29 AM #93
Wow, if this much argument can stem from a movie like "Signs", imagine the debates caused by the scientific inconsistencies in something like "The Core"

Worst part in that movie: "Prime numbers, right. 1,2,3,5,7,11..."

------------------
Death to all who oppose me!
Stuff
2004-03-04, 11:34 AM #94
The rest of the debate aside, the term "water concentration" seems to be the biggest hang-up on Fear's and Correction's part, let alone the inconsistencies regarding the aliens' level of technology with what we see on film.

The burden of proof rests on the claim that water concentration is the determining factor in whether or not water harms the aliens. Show some evidence that that's the case, or drop it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The irony is, if you just said "I didn't like the movie." and left it as your opinion, rather than trying to present it as if you were stating absolute fact, I would have much more respect for you. Now, I just kinda pity you.</font>

Your condescending attitude is not wanted. I've already explained that my opinion is based on fact. If you have a problem with that, it is yours alone.

-Fox
2004-03-04, 12:00 PM #95
Jon'c:

That's the point though Jon. All we can do is speculate. We know more than just "water kills them" - we also know it has to be a liquid form of water, since atmosphere and soil moisture had no effect.

By the way, with the burden of proof on me, within the confines of the movie, there it is. The only known is liquid water does immediate damage. We do not know if the moisture in the air or on the ground has no effect, or a slightly deteriorating effect on the aliens, because the subject wasn't brought up in the movie. But just because it wasn't brought up, does not mean it cannot theoretically exist.

Fox:

I have already said that since this is a fictional alien civilization we are talking about, you really don't have anything that can come close to resembling fact - only speculation.

The difference between you and me is I speak of possibilities, not definites like you, given the unknown nature of the alien species.

Oh, and on this:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your condescending attitude is not wanted.</font>

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?
You have been practically nothing but condescending throughout this entire thread.

In truth, you sound like you speak more from wounded pride than logic. Are you too embarrased to cut your losses and admit you were actually wrong? /rhetorical

------------------

↑ Up to the top!