Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you are a Christian, what denomination are you?
If you are a Christian, what denomination are you?
2004-10-13, 5:56 PM #1
I've noticed lately that some Chritians on this forum are getting into discussions in which it seems that the Christians here are starting to butt heads and/or contradicting each other. For those of you who don't know, there are many denominations of christians out there that have completely different ways of thinking. Some Christians (like non-denominational ones like myself) live their lives by the Bible and ONLY the Bible but some denominations like Catholics, Baptists, Mormans, Church-of-Christ followers, etc. have added or deleted from the Bible or have added extra rituals or Church practises.

If you are a Christian, please list what church you go to and denomination in your post. If you are not a Christian, don't bother posting because there isn't much you can post here.

BTW, I was going to do this as a poll, but there are way too many denominations to list that I can't even think of all of them.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-13, 5:58 PM #2
NorthWoods Word of Life (Go 25 person church!)
Non-Denomenational
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-13, 5:59 PM #3
Does the United Church count as a denomination? We're protestant, anyways...
Stuff
2004-10-13, 5:59 PM #4
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
2004-10-13, 6:02 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Hebedee
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

That means you are morman, right?
2004-10-13, 6:03 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
Does the United Church count as a denomination? We're protestant, anyways...

I've heard that all churches with the "united" title is part of a particular type of denomination. I forget what they are called though.
2004-10-13, 6:04 PM #7
Yeah, that's the slang. Mormon. It comes from one of the books of scripture we have, The Book of Mormon. Some people don't know the actual name, and thus assume it is not a completely Christ oriented religion.
2004-10-13, 6:11 PM #8
Catholic.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-10-13, 6:11 PM #9
Quote:
If you are not a Christian, get lost. There isn't much you can post here.

How very Christian of you.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-13, 6:12 PM #10
Well, it is a thread asking which Christian denomination you are a part of.
2004-10-13, 6:14 PM #11
Basically lutheran.

Which means I agree most with Lutherans, but I have some differing views than them...
2004-10-13, 6:24 PM #12
I ws raised Catholic, but I was never confirmed. I no longer practice
Pissed Off?
2004-10-13, 6:30 PM #13
i go to what can only be described as a charasmatic non-denominational church

yay
yay for not posting much ever
2004-10-13, 6:40 PM #14
Jehovah's Witness
<SalvadorChicka> i wasn't all "omg canadians have sex with each other!"
2004-10-13, 6:49 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by COTF_Dude
Jehovah's Witness

Used to be one myself, now I'm nothing when it comes to religion now.
2004-10-13, 6:51 PM #16
non-denominational. i guess protestant?
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2004-10-13, 6:52 PM #17
Exmormon agnostic with Christian leanings.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-13, 6:55 PM #18
Technically I'm a Catholic, but I really oppose the Church body, though I believe in the teachings of Jesus. So... Yarr.
2004-10-13, 7:02 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Exmormon agnostic with Christian leanings.
2004-10-13, 7:33 PM #20
Lutheran.
Moo.
2004-10-13, 7:38 PM #21
Lutheran
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-10-13, 7:41 PM #22
I'm a christian, I don't really care about denomination. I go to a Vineyard church, which I believe one of the founders of was a Quaker.

I'm an agnostic too, because that means that you believe God can't be proven to exist or not exist. I believe you can't prove His existance or nonexistance.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-13, 7:43 PM #23
But if you believe that God may not exist, doesn't that kind of contradict with a monotheistic religion?

Non-denominational here.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-13, 7:43 PM #24
The church I go to with my family is Baptist and the university church I attend doesn't have a denomination.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-10-13, 7:52 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Slaw
Catholic.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-10-13, 7:56 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by mscbuck
Lutheran
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-10-13, 7:59 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
But if you believe that God may not exist, doesn't that kind of contradict with a monotheistic religion?

Non-denominational here.

But the definition of agnostic that I'm familiar with doesn't have anything to do with belief or nonbelief of existance, but with it being impossible to prove.
I belive in God of course, and His existance has more or less been proven to me. I can't totally prove it though, I will always have to rely on faith.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-13, 8:14 PM #28
I go to a Nazarene church, but I'm not a member of any denomination. If I had to be classified, I'd probably end up closer to non-denominational.
2004-10-13, 8:23 PM #29
Well, I too believe that God can't be proven to exist - through today's science that is. However, that doesn't mean he doesn't exist just because you can't prove it through science. Let's not forget that science was created from human thought and that human's are incrediable flawed and extremely limited in knowledge. It is told that Heaven is so grand that the human mind can't even conceive it. The fact that God isn't stuck in time like us, (he sees the past, present, and future all at once) and the fact that he had no beginning and no end (he is simply just THERE) is a bit mind blowing. I don't expect an atheist to try to comprehend that because it simply isn't possible.
2004-10-13, 8:31 PM #30
Lutheran
2004-10-13, 8:35 PM #31
Very conservative reformed baptist. I'm only 15, so if I don't argue like I have a rhetoric degree from Yale, that's why. :p
2004-10-13, 8:43 PM #32
I was raised and confirmed as a Catholic, but I'm thinking that the instructors at my Catholic grade school should have thought about it for a second when I choose Thomas as my confrimation name.

Ya, see, I'm a bit of a doubter. Although raised Catholic, I no longer "have the faith." I don't really think I ever did.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-10-13, 8:44 PM #33
The church I attend is a Conservative Baptists Church, but only because it's socially (as far as churches go) required to be part of a group, especially since it's a somewhat large church. The doctrines all line up, but the methodology does not. We use electric guitars in services! Oh noes! We don't have "First" or "Baptist" in our name! Come to think of it, we don't even have a "churchy" name.

Anyway, I don't go much for the demoninations, but I Southern Baptist or Conservative Baptist holds up closest to my personal beliefs.

SavageX, what denomination is Harvest? I know they of Calvary Chapel origin, so are they Carismatic? I know Greg Laurie is a little different from the rest of the CC group, although I think the charismatic and Armenian aspects are still maintained.
2004-10-13, 9:18 PM #34
Quote:
I don't expect an atheist to try to comprehend that because it simply isn't possible.

..But a Christian on the other hand.. it's easy for them!
2004-10-13, 10:07 PM #35
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Same as Hebedee (or however you spell his name!)
Life is beautiful.
2004-10-13, 10:17 PM #36
Baptist.
2004-10-13, 10:42 PM #37
Baptised and Confirmed as an Evangelic Lutheran. Just like pretty much every other pale Finn (somewhere around 80%?). I take it just about as seriously as everybody else does too... which is to say, not very. Probably more of a deist if anything.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-10-13, 10:55 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by SavageX378
If you are not a Christian, get lost. There isn't much you can post here.

There is nothing wrong with having a thread for christian discussion, but if you don't want non-christians posting here at least be a lot nicer about it next time than "get lost".

Yes that is official adminy advice.
2004-10-13, 10:59 PM #39
Southern Baptist... However I have been told the worship style we adhere to is unlike... well all other Southern Baptists. The beliefs are there but the usual strictness associated with SB's is not.
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-10-13, 11:03 PM #40
Non-Denominational.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin

↑ Up to the top!