Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Halo 2: Might be over-hyped.
Halo 2: Might be over-hyped.
2004-10-22, 9:07 AM #1
The other day I was driving home from university, when I saw this monstrosity:

http://www.lexicon.net/met/trams/rollingstock/adtrams/b2-2068.html

Dear God. I think Microsoft must be spending more on advertising than on the game itself.
2004-10-22, 9:08 AM #2
Suprisingly, that kind of advertising isn't as expensive as you would think.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-22, 9:11 AM #3
Nothing new, go to edinburgh, you get everything advertised like that on buses and taxis
nope.
2004-10-22, 9:24 AM #4
I think they should just get working on an XBox 2 that can play HL2
Stuff
2004-10-22, 9:46 AM #5
Actually, Half-Life 2 is slated for the Xbox right now. As for if it's a simultaneous release, I don't know.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-22, 9:55 AM #6
Yes, it's overhyped. It's Halo 1 with dual guns, a sword, and stealing vehicals. Basically, it's a mod.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-22, 10:05 AM #7
Wow. What an eyesore!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-22, 12:14 PM #8
God damn that one ugly paint job.

As for the game... I don't have an Xbox, and I thought the first Halo sucked hard anyway.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-10-22, 1:06 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
Yes, it's overhyped. It's Halo 1 with dual guns, a sword, and stealing vehicals. Basically, it's a mod.

JediKirby

You're obviously not a console gamer.

Madden Football gets re-released every year, with one or two small things added to it. It's among the most popular console games.

Halo 2 has new weapons, new vehicles, new story and settings, and XBox Live support. That's a lot more updates than Madden gets. This is a whole new game to console standards.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-22, 1:35 PM #10
Quote:

JediKirby

You are quite uninformed.

Last time I checked, the word 'overhyped' refered to something that got LOADS of media attention, and then turned out to be a crappy something.

Halo 2 is not out yet. No one (unless you're a worthless scumbag) has played it. Therefore, how can it be called 'overhyped'?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-10-22, 2:29 PM #11
Quote:

Jedi Outcast featured new weapons and a new story based around the continued exploits of the force-wielding mercenary Kyle Katarn.

OMFG! SLAP MY *** AND CALL MY SUZY, JEDI OUTCAST WAS A MOD OF JEDI KNIGHT!

Get real.
2004-10-22, 2:36 PM #12
Yeah, but Halo 2 is built DIRECTLY off the first's engine, isn't it? (I might very well be wrong.)

Also, why is over-hyping a bad thing? I'm not looking forward to Halo 2 at all, but I don't see how advertising would make the gameplay experience any worse...

Perhaps if there's a game slated to be legendary, and you get all giddy right when you start playing, maybe that's good, but I don't think bad advertising would make a good game much worse, or a bad game any better.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-10-22, 2:44 PM #13
Yeah, sure, Halo 2 is built off of the first game's engine. But Jedi Outcast was built off of the Elite Force engine and you'd have to be some kind of retard to claim that JO is a mod of EF. Or EF of Quake 3, for that matter.

They've totally redone virtually all of the assets, if only because their engine has been improved and revamped to the point where they can use much higher-quality models and textures. It also uses bloom lighting now.

Make no mistake. This is a new game.
2004-10-22, 2:56 PM #14
It's new, it's good, its awesome looking (comparably), and it's FUN.

So yeah.
D E A T H
2004-10-22, 3:39 PM #15
Heh, I have to thank Halo for one thing - it turned my brother-in-law into a game addict like me now. It is the first game that he has ever played that made him stay up to 5 o'clock in the morning playing. I'm sort of looking forward to playing a game against him the next time I go see him and my sister at their place. Anyway, when most likely is talking my sister into buying him Halo 2 when it finally comes out in Novemeber.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-22, 3:51 PM #16
Starcraft > *
2004-10-22, 4:20 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Starcraft > *

Yes! :D
No sig.
2004-10-22, 4:40 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
Jedi Outcast featured new weapons and a new story based around the continued exploits of the force-wielding mercenary Kyle Katarn.

OMFG! SLAP MY *** AND CALL MY SUZY, JEDI OUTCAST WAS A MOD OF JEDI KNIGHT!

Get real.

It's called a new engine. Duh. :rolleyes:
2004-10-22, 6:09 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
Yeah, sure, Halo 2 is built off of the first game's engine.

Wrong.

I read somewhere last year, I can't remember where, that they pretty much trashed the original engine, and made an entirely new one. They took bits and pieces from the old engine, but other than that, it's all new.

Now that I think about it, I would've read it at one of the more offical Halo sites. So Halo.Bungie.org, Bungie.net, or in their Weekly Update.
Last Stand
2004-10-22, 6:15 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Starcraft > *

Final Fantasy VII > *
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-22, 8:40 PM #21
Me > every one else
***** > owned
this = spam
:p

EDIT: Hey why is Pw/\/ed censored!?
2004-10-22, 9:20 PM #22
Just to annoy you.
Last Stand
2004-10-22, 9:29 PM #23
you could always justsay Pizzowned
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-10-22, 10:24 PM #24
Quote:

JediKirby

Uhm no, actually its kinda hard to call it a 'mod' when they've created an entire new engine, among other things, more than just a few weapons and tricks were added... Take a deeper look before you bash it, its gonna be good, whether or not its worth all the hype. I still play halo 1 with alot of my friends and we have alot of fun with it.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-10-22, 10:27 PM #25
or even Al Capowned
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-10-22, 11:11 PM #26
Just because it's a new engine doesn't mean the core asthetics are different, OR the same. You seem so sure that it'll still be halo on a new engine. If it is, then it won't be woth my time. I like halo; but making sequels to FPSs a couple years after the first came out was ok back when we switched from 8 bit to 32. It's a bit different today.

I HAVE looked at the specs. I'm just not fooled by them.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-22, 11:13 PM #27
You will be sorry on November Ninth, when the rest of us are having lots of fun shooting each other and you are sitting in your wheelchair crying because you didn't buy Halo 2.
2004-10-22, 11:16 PM #28
Or maybe I'll still be playing Halo 1... because it's the same thing?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-22, 11:30 PM #29
Hahaha Halo hahahahahaa
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-10-22, 11:33 PM #30
Quote:
Nothing new, go to edinburgh, you get everything advertised like that on buses and taxis

I've been to Edinburgh. I loved it there.
I don't remember all of that advertising. There were a lot of posters up in the city I think though, or maybe that was in London.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-22, 11:51 PM #31
Quote:

You keep telling yourself that.
Last Stand
2004-10-23, 2:09 AM #32
Hey at least it's not as bad as getting some poor sod, dressing him up like the master chief and sending him to various events, including the the Essendon and St. Kilda club training sessions, NRL grand final and some other event involving Miss Universe.
2004-10-23, 2:37 AM #33
Quote:

To be honest with you kirby: Shut up.

I've played it. It's not the same thing. On the surface, it looks madly similar. But that's only for about 5 seconds. Think before you talk next time.
D E A T H
2004-10-23, 6:33 AM #34
Kirby: Did you buy JO?

Now, did you buy JA?

Okay, thanks for playing.
2004-10-23, 9:23 AM #35
Quote:

Or maybe you should wait until the game is released to make judgements? Your argument is moot anyway. Even if it was just a mod for Halo, that doesn't mean it can't be a lot of fun. You just like taking every opportunity possible to bash popular games.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-23, 9:52 AM #36
I've never realy tried halo-- is there a demo?
2004-10-23, 9:54 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader
or even Al Capowned

I'm not quite finished yet, but allow me to present the beta test of the latest in owned technology...
2004-10-23, 10:03 AM #38
What I'm saying, is that I already own the original, and love it. Halo 2 doesn't look like it's going to offer me any more than what I already own. Hence, I'm not going to dish out 50 bucks just to own a slightly more advanced version of a game I already own.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-23, 11:10 AM #39
You are wrong, when you say that Halo 2 is 'slightly' morea dvanced than Halo 1. It's WAY more advanced. Better graphics by far, expanded SP campaign, more MP fun, new weapons, vehicles, vehicle damage, etc. It's at least 20 times better than Halo 1.

I am even saving up for an X-box as I speak so I can get Halo 2 upon release. $10 more 'till I can afford it... :D
DO NOT WANT.
2004-10-23, 11:10 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Tonberry
Final Fantasy VII > *
America, home of the free gift with purchase.

↑ Up to the top!