Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Halo 2: Might be over-hyped.
Halo 2: Might be over-hyped.
2004-10-23, 4:58 PM #81
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
Doom 3 looks like rubber.

I think you mean plastic. :p

Anyways, I'd just like to point out that Halo 2 DOES have fall damage. If you got the idea that there is no fall damage from the E3 Halo 2 LAN-fest on Zanzibar, then you should have read a bit more. They said later that fall damage was simply turned off for that session. You can still die by falling.

And Halo 2 will pwn. Maps the size of Assault on the Control Room and maybe bigger? OMG!! :eek:'

And what do you mean, they killed the tank? They nerfed the Scorpion? Wtf! It was a TANK, it shouldn't be dumbed down so a normal Spartan on foot can easily take it out just circle-strafing with grenades, in Halo 1 it took a lot more skill and tactics to take out tanks. I take this experience from my games of Halo MP on sidewinder, where he got in a tank and killed me a ton. He was far more experienced than me, and running at it didn't kill it. I had to either take it from behind or snipe him out of the cockpit. I hope they still have the 1-hit kill, that's what tanks are about.

Anyways, I simply can't wait. I'm finally buying my own X-box just for this game. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2004-10-23, 5:04 PM #82
Now wait a second... quote me saying "it sucks." I didn't say anything near that. In fact, I said almost the exact same thing you're saying about HL2... That I'm not impressed, and I'm not going to dish 50 dollars out for it when I already own the same thing.

Seriously, I backed my opinion up. I just didn't outright say it sucks; it doesn't.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-23, 5:11 PM #83
Yosh, I know it's a new engine, but I don't see how that can really speed up the load times, I mean the hardware has its limitations, even with advanced software, neh?
2004-10-23, 5:13 PM #84
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
Doom 3 looks like rubber.

Your face looks like rubber.

>.>

<.<

*runs away*
2004-10-23, 5:31 PM #85
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Yosh, I know it's a new engine, but I don't see how that can really speed up the load times, I mean the hardware has its limitations, even with advanced software, neh?

Did you by any chance notice how amazingly fast the load times were anyways? Considering the deatail and graphics it was loading for each map, it was pretty damn fast! It loads faster than JA. And on the PC version, each MP map loads in about 5 seconds on my crappy old PC. On my brother's brand-new PC, which isn't even a great one by today's standards, it loads maps instantly.
DO NOT WANT.
2004-10-23, 5:33 PM #86
Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?
2004-10-23, 5:36 PM #87
Quote:
Yes, it's overhyped. It's Halo 1 with dual guns, a sword, and stealing vehicals. Basically, it's a mod.

JediKirby

HRMM. Quite an assumption for someone who's never played it.

Zell--I dropped from about 80 feet up. No fall damage. I dunno what constitutes fall damage :p

The tank was way too overpowered. Hell I didn't even like it. I'm glad it got scrapped (it's still there, just...worthless). And Mikus--I never noticed extra load times. If you do, you'll have a stopwatch, undoubtedly. 1-2 seconds extra, if that.
D E A T H
2004-10-23, 6:11 PM #88
How did you even get to play Halo 2 Yoshi? I'm pretty sure they said on HBO that fall damage was in somewhere, it was just disabled for the E3 LAN thing...

Ehh. :/
DO NOT WANT.
2004-10-23, 6:12 PM #89
You know that leak? Yeah well lots of people acquired it. I know those people.
D E A T H
2004-10-23, 6:33 PM #90
Lame. Evil. Hate. :mad:
DO NOT WANT.
2004-10-23, 6:48 PM #91
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I just really hope they make SP worth playing this time. Maybe they can take fewer lessons from Spiral and try some sensical SP missions this time.

Time constraints. That was one of the major deals behind why single player levels looked bad (the Library) and some of the levels flat out sucked (the Library again).

My next question would be 'When did you play it?' See, if you played through it after hearing a lot about it plot wise, even if you didn't get many spoilers, the game just isn't as fun. I see that now when I play through it on PC. It just doesn't stack up to the very first time I played through. SOME of the replay value for single player is there, but it could've been better. I suppose the same is true for all games after you play through them. You know what's going to happen, so the excitement, etc. is mostly lost on you. But I have played games where those feelings stick. Even after playing through it.

Halo was an incredible game, made by an incredible developer. But could it have been better? Yes. Definately. But the end result was still damned good. All you have to do is look at the worldwide sales figures to see that. I expect to see no different from Halo 2. In fact, in many places, I expect to see far better.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-23, 6:54 PM #92
On the subject of load times...

Halo NEVER loaded the entire senario at once. It loaded the map, but that was it. As far as I'm aware, that's what the load screen was about. Now, while you're playing, Halo loaded 'Checkpoints'. Those not only saved your game, but populated the next area you entered, and loaded all of the events. Events being drop-ships landing and the like.

The 'load times' are very minor things considering all it does as you enter the map is load it. Everything else is done as you play behind the scenes.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-10-23, 8:26 PM #93
Wow...
2004-10-24, 12:46 AM #94
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
Actually, Half-Life 2 is slated for the Xbox right now. As for if it's a simultaneous release, I don't know.

If by that you mean Xbox 2. It's been heavily hinted at that HL2 will not see the Xbox.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-10-24, 7:23 PM #95
Damn Gamespot and their evil ways of mostly hiding the dates associated with the news articles.

As of June last year, HL 2 for Xbox was confirmed. This obviously means jack now. I take that back, it means a plan to port it to *A* Xbox is still in the works.

To back that statement up...

CNN said the following earlier this month.
Quote:
Interestingly, Lombardi refused to say whether the console version would be available for the current generation Xbox or the upcoming Xbox 2 (which analysts and publishers expect to hit retail during the 2005 holiday season) when asked.

Linkage.

Thar ye have it.
Last Stand
2004-10-24, 7:58 PM #96
I currently have it pre-ordered. only 16 days left until it's realease. I'm going to have friends over and we're playin it all night long. I'm also looking forward to the next part in the story. I personaly thuaght the first part was very intriguing.
<SalvadorChicka> i wasn't all "omg canadians have sex with each other!"
2004-10-24, 8:05 PM #97
[http://www.planetboredom.net/pix/data/thumbnails/15/kitty.jpg]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-24, 8:10 PM #98
I'll probably play through the co-op with one of my buddies on our lunch/spare. Should be fun.

↑ Up to the top!