Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, I got a speeding ticket.
So, I got a speeding ticket.
2005-01-20, 10:55 AM #1
Back in October. Went to court today, I had subpoenad the officer, and he didn't show (big surprise), so the ticket was dismissed. Good :)
2005-01-20, 10:57 AM #2
YES. :D
2005-01-20, 11:22 AM #3
How much was the ticket anyway?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-20, 11:29 AM #4
Massassi is becoming a bunch of speed demons!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-20, 11:34 AM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
How much was the ticket anyway?
$91.00 - but I don't fight it to stop from paying the price of the ticket (my time is worth more than that), I fight it because getting a ticket on your record can increase your car insurance rate for something like 7 years.
2005-01-20, 11:37 AM #6
Good Times
Pissed Off?
2005-01-20, 11:40 AM #7
But if you were speeding then you deserve it. *cue Mort-Hog
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-20, 11:49 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
$91.00 - but I don't fight it to stop from paying the price of the ticket (my time is worth more than that), I fight it because getting a ticket on your record can increase your car insurance rate for something like 7 years.

DON'T SPEED ON THE HIGHWAY THEN!

Speed limit laws aren't there for ****s and giggles. They have a purpose. I can't stand people barreling down 50 MPH in a 35 zone. And these are areas with lots of pedestrians.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-20, 11:51 AM #9
I'm with JG.
Hazard a company one process.
2005-01-20, 11:54 AM #10
Quote:

Mine was $345. How much over the limit were you?
2005-01-20, 11:54 AM #11
I'm with JG on this one. I'm cruising, doing my legal 55-60 down the highway in the left lane while some shmuck is doing 50 in the right, and I've got a line of jerks behind me ganging up doing at least 70, riding my ***, riding the peoples ***es in front of them, for no good reason except that they can't manage their time better, or don't care about wasting gas because they're just wasteful people. :p [/minirant]

ESPECIALLY THROUGH CONSTRUCTION ZONES! GOD! AHGFKALGHAL:DFKDL:A No repect at all! :mad:
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-20, 12:00 PM #12
Quote:

Translation - I admit that I was guilty and I deserve to have my insurance rates raised, but I just don't wanna pay them, so I fight it in the courts, adding to the mountains and mountains of fraudulent litigation tying up America's court system.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-20, 12:01 PM #13
^^^^^^^^^
That too :p
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-20, 12:10 PM #14
[http://images.mzzt.net/wowfast.png]

Lol. Nice titles.

2005-01-20, 12:10 PM #15
I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but I think that the speed limits are a scam:

I hypothesize that insurance companies somehow convince the cities to keep speed limits low. That way, people are more apt to speed rather than follow the ridiculously low limits. (think about it-- you can easily and safely drive faster than the posted limit most of the time) Cops then tag these people, and the insurance companies win b/c they get to raise rates on the victim. Cities win b/c they get ticket revenue. The ony loser is the average joe b/c he gets f***ed royal by the deal.
2005-01-20, 12:12 PM #16
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-20, 12:13 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf

And these are areas with lots of pedestrians.

if people get in the road when cars are driving by at fast speeds, then these pedestrians deserve to die.
2005-01-20, 12:13 PM #18
Yes, let's throw in car manufacturers too. They get a cut under the table. :rolleyes: Speed limits are based on road conditions, surrounding areas, brake standards, and your average joe blow worn in car. Not how well your engine and suspension is. :p
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-20, 12:14 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
if people get in the road when cars are driving by at fast speeds, then these pedestrians deserve to die.

A vechicle moving at 35mph is hard to cross paths with compared to one moving at 50mph. :rolleyes: Pedestrians shouldn't have to worry about wether or not a car is speeding faster to their crossing point than they can walk to it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[Read through it a couple times, tis the best grammar I could conjure up]
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-20, 12:25 PM #20
Freelancer, way to be an ***. Did you really need to be a jerk? Man I realllyyyy dislike you.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-20, 12:26 PM #21
I got caught 30 over and I am damn proud I fought that thing. Fools, got off with nothing. Neaner neaner neaner.

But this 300 dollar ticket I have for parking in handicap...need to fix that one.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-20, 12:40 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubuu
I got caught 30 over and I am damn proud I fought that thing. Fools, got off with nothing. Neaner neaner neaner.

And I'm the jerk, the one to be disliked? At least I fess up to what I do wrong. I don't try to weasel my way out of legitimate tickets, simply because I can. You sped. You should pay. By the way - at least people agree with me. I can't see anyone agreeing with your shinanigans.
2005-01-20, 12:42 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
I can't see anyone agreeing with your shinanigans.

I got caught doing 55 kph over the limit, and I agree with Ubuu. My insurance actually went down this year. Worth the fight.
2005-01-20, 12:44 PM #24
The fight to what, win the war on being late? :rolleyes:
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-20, 12:46 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Raiser
The fight to what, win the war on being late? :rolleyes:
2005-01-20, 1:13 PM #26
Quote:
But this 300 dollar ticket I have for parking in handicap...need to fix that one.

Wow, thats great. How can you call Freelancer a jerk after that. He was right. You shouldn't speed. If you do, pay the ticket and move on. parking in a handicap space...same thing.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-20, 1:45 PM #27
Holy crap! I somehow missed that! You have some nerve... parking in a handicap spot and then calling me a jerk..
2005-01-20, 2:06 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
And I'm the jerk, the one to be disliked? At least I fess up to what I do wrong. I don't try to weasel my way out of legitimate tickets, simply because I can. You sped. You should pay. By the way - at least people agree with me. I can't see anyone agreeing with your shinanigans.

I agree with Ubuu, he's living in the fast-lane.

Kill with power, brother.
Quote Originally Posted by Chaz Ghostle
some gay men prefer to have partners with smaller, softer bodies[. . .]It really all comes down to what you like.
2005-01-20, 2:08 PM #29
The fast lane to delinquincy, maybe.
2005-01-20, 2:10 PM #30
NOPE, TO SUCCESS!
some gay men prefer to have partners with smaller, softer bodies[. . .]It really all comes down to what you like.
2005-01-20, 2:13 PM #31
Freelancer, it's obvious that Ubuu is just an overall smarter, and better person then us. :rolleyes:
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-20, 2:28 PM #32
Yeah, especially because he doesn't consider using the law to eliminate a speeding ticket a moral injustice.
2005-01-20, 2:31 PM #33
YOU SPED. There's nothing more to it than that. Pay the ****ing ticket! Use the law this and blah blah crappity crap that, don't be so wishy washy. EITHER YOU SPED OR YOU DIDN'T; if so, pay up. If not, then by all means defend yourself in a court of law. The fact that you admit to speeding and then LIE ABOUT IT IN COURT *IS* a moral injustice.

And you're not using the law at all, your /exploiting/ it. It's people like you who make America the judicial laughing stock that it is today. :mad:
2005-01-20, 2:39 PM #34
I like blowhards that talk about beating the system, or outsmarting the system, then talk about their moral superiority because they believe in god.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-20, 2:55 PM #35
All you guys whining about people going fast in slow zones obviously dont have cool enough cars.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-20, 3:03 PM #36
Um, our adversarial justice system requires both the prosecution and defense to do everything legal that's within their power to convict or walk, respectively, for maximum effectiveness and justish goodness. You're going to get screwed if you don't defend yourself.

That, and if the judge is going to give you a $300 fine for speeding and you argue it down to a non-moving violation, you only deserved a non-moving violation. There is no objective standard here.
2005-01-20, 3:12 PM #37
Freelancer---I expect you to turn yourself in every time you speed, otherwise you're not holding yourself to your own moral standards.
2005-01-20, 3:12 PM #38
how much were the court costs though??
"...Those living for death will die by their own hand, Life's no ordeal if you come to terms, Reject the system dictating the norms..."
2005-01-20, 3:16 PM #39
Speed limits do not change according to environmental conditions...other cars on the road, pedestrians, weather, etc. They're an imperfect solution.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't own up if you get caught, but it also doesn't mean that you shouldn't try your damndest to get out of it. Not trying your damndest to get out of it is kinda like not trying your damndest to get out of a meat grinder because you got yourself into it "and you deserve it".
Warhead[97]
2005-01-20, 3:17 PM #40
So like, I shot ubuu in the face yesterday, buy it's all good; I just flashed the cops my handicapt sticker, and they just let it all go. No one really cared in the first place, anyway.

[see signature]

In all seriousness, I've said it before: Don't speed. A very simple concept. You may or may not agree with the speed limit; that's your paragative. But going over the speed limit just because you think it isn't an appropriet speed is called ILLEGAL. Shooting someone in the face could easily be justified: It's still illegal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS

I hypothesize that insurance companies somehow convince the cities to keep speed limits low.

I hypothisize that you don't like the whole "concequences for your actions" thing.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!