Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I've lost all respect I had for our President
I've lost all respect I had for our President
2005-05-06, 6:51 PM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/05/05/roadless.forests.ap/index.html

Note: I AM a liberal, but I still had respect for some of the things that he was/is doing. Not any more. Good god this is such a tasteless act. Just thinking about it sickens me.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 6:52 PM #2
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Good god this is such a tasteless act. Just thinking about it sickens me.

It always sickened me.
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-06, 6:54 PM #3
Ah well. Time to break out the chainsaws.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-06, 6:54 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominik
It always sickened me.

It 'always' sickened you?

What are YOU talking about?
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 6:55 PM #5
OH MAN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LIBERALS THERE HAS BEEN RESEARCH THAT SHOWS ROADS WILL ACTUALLY BENEFIT THE ENVIRONMENT JEEZ GUYS!

>.>
2005-05-06, 7:07 PM #6
Slash and burn, baby.
2005-05-06, 7:12 PM #7
building roads in a forest makes sense, b/c w/o roads, how the hell else are people supposed to go out and enjoy these forests?
2005-05-06, 7:13 PM #8
Except it's open to mining, logging etc. This will ruin the forests.

Yeah, any respect I did have for dubya has gone down the drain.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-05-06, 7:13 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
building roads in a forest makes sense, b/c w/o roads, how the hell else are people supposed to go out and enjoy these forests?

There's a long lost art I like to call walking. It gets you from place to place. They did that before there were cars.

Amazing thing it is.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 7:15 PM #10
If it benefitted society, I would kill every damn spotted owl on the planet. I'd go owl-a-huntin with my shotgun.

Despite what *SOME* people may think, no one in the bush administration is stupid enough to actually just wipe out every damn piece of forest on the planet.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-05-06, 7:17 PM #11
No, of course they're not.

They're stupid enough to let others do it for them.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 7:17 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
Except it's open to mining, logging etc. This will ruin the forests.

Yeah, any respect I did have for dubya has gone down the drain.

You have to log the forests sometimes, b/c if you don't, you get massive overgrowth. When fire season arrives, that is a recipe for disaster. California got huge fires a few years ago b/c in part no logging was done to maintain the forest. The fires started way inland and were threatening to burn all the way to the coast. It was terrible.
2005-05-06, 7:18 PM #13
Then log to a degree, and don't clear out the whole forest, which is what logging companies usually do.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-05-06, 7:20 PM #14
Quote:
There's a long lost art I like to call walking. It gets you from place to place. They did that before there were cars.

Amazing thing it is.

forcing people who want to simply spend a weekend camping in the forest to hike over miles of undeveloped terrain is a bit much to ask. Especially when most people here are urban dwellers and know virtually nothing about getting around in the forest. Roads help to keep people like that from getting lost.
2005-05-06, 7:21 PM #15
Quote:
Then log to a degree, and don't clear out the whole forest, which is what logging companies usually do.

In a few years, a forest can grow back.
2005-05-06, 7:23 PM #16
Quote:

Try a few hundred years. And the same logic applies to burnind down cities, yeah?
2005-05-06, 7:24 PM #17
Quote:
forcing people who want to simply spend a weekend camping in the forest to hike over miles of undeveloped terrain is a bit much to ask. Especially when most people here are urban dwellers and know virtually nothing about getting around in the forest. Roads help to keep people like that from getting lost.

Well I'll be goddamned if some tourist is too inconvencied by a thing called nature to go spend some time in solitude in a forest, absorbing the atmosphere. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we just fry up all the little creatures in the forest and sell them on the roadside, along with silver nuggets straight from the mine!

I mean, we're all here just to satisfy OUR needs, right?

Quote:

No. No it can't. Trees take decades, if not centuries to really grow back.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 7:30 PM #18
Quote:
Well I'll be goddamned if some tourist is too inconvencied by a thing called nature to go spend some time in solitude in a forest, absorbing the atmosphere. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we just fry up all the little creatures in the forest and sell them on the roadside, along with silver nuggets straight from the mine!

I mean, we're all here just to satisfy OUR needs, right?

Ever get lost in the forest? I did, and I was damn glad that I found a road to follow until I found someone.

All that forest atmosphere can get to be a pain in the a** when you're out there alone in the dark, lost, with only a few rounds left.
2005-05-06, 7:32 PM #19
It's called marked paths. Stay on them, and you won't get lost.

There's also a little thing called a park map. Those help sometimes too, but only somtimes, because all they do is map out the entire park in order to prevent you from getting lost.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-05-06, 7:36 PM #20
these forest are were to protect the forests, not to let people enjoy them.

another reason to hate bush:mad: :mad: :mad:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-05-06, 7:52 PM #21
Come with me my little child...WAHH!!! To the Forest of denial...WAHHH!!
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-06, 7:52 PM #22
sigh :(
2005-05-06, 7:56 PM #23
Quote:
It's called marked paths. Stay on them, and you won't get lost.

Not where I was. Ever been up in the Sierra Nevada mountains? I was up near a place called Lake Tamarack. 8000 feet above sea level, not far from the Nevada state border. This is RAW LAND. If you have to take a piss, find a tree. If you have to take a s***, dig a hole. There is a line on the map that is supposed to be a road, but thats it, and it's hard to follow in the dark since the actual road is a dirt path that is easy to wander off of that leads to the lake itself. Around the lake, there is nothing that even resembles a real road, just those things that look like trails but really aren't and just lead nowhere. Up there, you have to pack heat (at least a 12-gauge shotgun) at all times b/c that is cougar and bear country, and you do NOT want to be out there without any weapons.)
2005-05-06, 7:58 PM #24
Quote:
You have to log the forests sometimes, b/c if you don't, you get massive overgrowth. When fire season arrives, that is a recipe for disaster. California got huge fires a few years ago b/c in part no logging was done to maintain the forest. The fires started way inland and were threatening to burn all the way to the coast. It was terrible.

He speaks truth on the fires. A LOT of **** went down in San Diego over why these fires burned this long and hot.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-06, 7:59 PM #25
Truly pathetic.....before alot of you (not limited to massassians) were on the bandwagon with the whole Kerry/War thing but ever since he got beat, things kinda died down, so what do you do? You begin to complain about the whole forest/highway thing. To lose respect for a president because he knocks down a few trees for roadways.....looks to me like you never respected him in the first place. I respect your opinions, but i don't respect your attitude towards the matter......childish reallly.
666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer
2005-05-06, 8:05 PM #26
Well this and the whole digging for oil in the wildlife refuge a few months ago.
2005-05-06, 8:15 PM #27
lol, my apologies for not including that little fiasco....how could i have forgotton about such a life-altering topic XD
2005-05-06, 8:15 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Fett 316
Truly pathetic.....before alot of you (not limited to massassians) were on the bandwagon with the whole Kerry/War thing but ever since he got beat, things kinda died down, so what do you do? You begin to complain about the whole forest/highway thing. To lose respect for a president because he knocks down a few trees for roadways.....looks to me like you never respected him in the first place. I respect your opinions, but i don't respect your attitude towards the matter......childish reallly.

we were complaining long before the kerry war thing. Things have died down is because there is no election. whats so childish?
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-05-06, 8:18 PM #29
In all fairness, you have to get raw materials from somewhere. If it's cheaper to cut down your own forests than to, say, import wood from Canada, then that's what will happen. It's simple economics. I don't support clear-cutting or anything, but you can't just arbitrarily say "OMG that's a wildlife preserve! You can't cut down any trees!" is kind of silly. As long as it's sustainable, that should be good enough for anyone.

Besides, nanotechnology is going to put logging companies out of business sometime in this half-century; then all the trees will grow back.
Stuff
2005-05-06, 8:29 PM #30
What I mean by "childish" is the way that alot of people go about judging others. The word "Hate" or the phrase "I hate (insert name here) strikes me as somthin a child would say (not callin anyone names). It's just frustrating that some people can't act like civilized human beings when addressing matters like this. It's ok to not like someone or to dissagree with em, but to hate someone....thats what I mean when I say childish. Kyle90 makes a good point in his post btw. (tryin to keep the thread on topic)
2005-05-06, 8:37 PM #31
Quote:
Truly pathetic.....before alot of you (not limited to massassians) were on the bandwagon with the whole Kerry/War thing but ever since he got beat, things kinda died down, so what do you do?

So wait supporting a political candidate is jumping on a bandwagon? What do you want us to run for president ourselves?

The Bush bandwagon was larger than the Kerry bandwagon anyways.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2005-05-06, 8:40 PM #32
Quote:
What I mean by "childish" is the way that alot of people go about judging others. The word "Hate" or the phrase "I hate (insert name here) strikes me as somthin a child would say (not callin anyone names). It's just frustrating that some people can't act like civilized human beings when addressing matters like this. It's ok to not like someone or to dissagree with em, but to hate someone....thats what I mean when I say childish. Kyle90 makes a good point in his post btw. (tryin to keep the thread on topic)

Oh shut up and quit acting like you're all knowing and all powerful. It's sickening.

I've always disagreed with bush, and republicans in general, especially on matters of wildlife refuges.

Kyle--I agree, and I don't mind opening SOME of it. But to open EVERY LAST ACRE of wildlife refuge in the US to logging and mining and anything else... Just ridiculous.
D E A T H
2005-05-06, 8:44 PM #33
Meh... the planet is going to end up like Coruscant sooner or later...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-06, 8:48 PM #34
who the hell cares geeze we all die anyway why give a damn wtf happends to this sorry assed country
Master! Master!
2005-05-06, 8:49 PM #35
Umm, because I live there and I don't want to die young? Seriously, that was a stupid question.
2005-05-06, 8:51 PM #36
Quote:
Some officials made it clear much of the land will remain untouched[/b].

"We have no plans to build roads in the roadless areas of the national forests in California. ... Areas are roadless here for a reason," said Matt Mathes, a regional spokesman for the Forest Service in the state.

Just felt that should be pointed out. While I have no liking of opening up forests for this kind of activity, if it's done in minute moderation, then I can live with that.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-05-06, 8:51 PM #37
Whats the diffrence weather to die young or old if you belive in religon you go where you go and if you dont still who the **** cares you cant escape death so why not just say the hell with it
Master! Master!
2005-05-06, 8:53 PM #38
Are you dain bramaged?
2005-05-06, 8:54 PM #39
no what im saying is completely true why try to get far in life when in the end you die seems pretty pointless working so hard to make a life
Master! Master!
2005-05-06, 8:55 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Do_As_Infinity
Whats the diffrence weather to die young or old if you belive in religon you go where you go and if you dont still who the **** cares you cant escape death so why not just say the hell with it

I want to live as long as possible in as beautiful of a world as possible, and I want it to stay that way for more people to be able to enjoy after I'm gone. Life goes on without you, you know. You're not the center of the universe.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!