Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why hasn't anyone brought this up?
Why hasn't anyone brought this up?
2005-05-20, 9:46 AM #81
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
They LOOK at your ID. I see no evidence that they're suddenly going to start scanning them. If they do, refuse. The only thing they need to verify is age and that will be clearly printed on the card just as it is now. There will be NO real change in the information printed on the card from what is present now. What will change is how it is verified or, rather, that it WILL actually be verified. It's like abortion, either you get it or you don't.
Right now banks require you to give your social security number, home address, etc. This will definitely be scanned by banks. A few years down the line, everyone will have scanners. And you will still be saying, "ah, don't worry about it!" Look at the rest of the laws Bush has been pushing through and you can easily see a disturbing trend. My SSN appears nowhere on my drivers license and I never even gave it up when I got the thing. Then they will be printing it on the front, so everyone I show it to can write it down easily. The more people that have my information, the higher the chance of abuse. Again, do some research on identity theft currently, hold it for a few years, and then look again after that bill has been in effect for a while.
2005-05-20, 3:17 PM #82
Brian, understand that I agree with you in theory. Also understand that I disagree this act will directly lead to what you are concerned about.

Simply put I'll state the following:

I do not agree that SSNs should be printed on the IDs in question.

I do not believe that agencies or businesses without legitimate need to verify personal information should scan cards.

I do not agree that personal information should involuntarilly be linked to the card, other than the identity verifying information in question.

We agree on all this. It is also true, I believe, that none of this is said to be happening in that article.

I do agree that states should verify SSN, citizenship, and identity information as this act requires and that a system should be in place so that this information is verifiable electronically when required for official purposes.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-05-20, 3:27 PM #83
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Right now banks require you to give your social security number, home address, etc. This will definitely be scanned by banks.

Assuming this will happen, you're concerned that they will scan information of your ID that they already require you to disclose? What? Noting your concern of identity theft I would think you would prefer that a bank accept the scanned and verified information off your ID rather than the handwritten information a criminal provides when he steals your identity.

Quote:
A few years down the line, everyone will have scanners. And you will still be saying, "ah, don't worry about it!"

Didn't I already suggest that I don't think that should or will happen and to refuse if someone requires it? That's what I'll do if I know I have personal information contained in my card that a business has no need for.

Quote:
Look at the rest of the laws Bush has been pushing through and you can easily see a disturbing trend.

Actually, I don't. I think that there's work to be done to clarify some issues but I blame that more on our representatives that rubber stamp bills rather than read them.

Quote:
My SSN appears nowhere on my drivers license and I never even gave it up when I got the thing. Then they will be printing it on the front, so everyone I show it to can write it down easily. The more people that have my information, the higher the chance of abuse.

They should verify SSN as that is a reliable way to verify someone's legal residency status. I've seen nothing suggesting it will be required to be printed on the card as, unfortunately, some states already do.

Quote:
Again, do some research on identity theft currently, hold it for a few years, and then look again after that bill has been in effect for a while.

Well, this is rhetorical but I would think that, properly implemented, this act would help reduce identity theft.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-05-21, 9:25 AM #84
So this is how democracy dies. To thunderous applause.
2005-05-21, 9:36 AM #85
You just had to be the first one to try to work that in, didn't you?

2005-05-21, 12:46 PM #86
i just wish to add in my 2 cents into the hole matter, which appears to not have been stated yet....

Hasnt anyone ever thought that any person could easyly incompacitate you and/or take your ID card and use it towards their own wants? kinda sounds to me like an easyer way for identity theft...
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2005-05-21, 1:40 PM #87
Nah, because then the person knows their ID has been stolen and they can cancel their credit cards, etc.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-21, 2:31 PM #88
Yeah, and unless they just happen to be your doppelganger...

↑ Up to the top!