Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → F.E.A.R. Singleplayer Demo
F.E.A.R. Singleplayer Demo
2005-08-06, 8:42 AM #41
How about you guys tell me how good it is, and then I'll buy it when it comes out.
I'm too lazy to download
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-08-06, 8:46 AM #42
the game weapons feel like AVP2
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2005-08-06, 11:45 AM #43
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
That's exactly what it is, it's displacement and bump-mapping used in a really smart way.

again displacement mapping cannot be done on my video card what is being used is virtual displacement mapping (AKA parallax mapping)

real displacement mapping is not a feature of any currently released game
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-08-06, 12:28 PM #44
more

I LOVE THIS GUN
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/fear/10.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/fear/11.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/fear/12.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/fear/13.jpg]
2005-08-06, 12:56 PM #45
Seemed too clichèd and lacking of some Monolith atmosphere, but quite nice overall.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-08-06, 2:18 PM #46
That hallway picture is... interesting.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-08-06, 2:25 PM #47
Sorry, that's what I meant, parallax mapping.
Warhead[97]
2005-08-06, 2:53 PM #48
Guys, I am having trouble on the first ladder you're spose to climb UP, it tabs me out of the game, windows ask if I want to send an error report for it, and the game closes.

Need help! :(
2005-08-06, 8:54 PM #49
Man, this game gave me a wake up call. It said to me that my computer is a complete piece of crap that does more sucking that Paris Hilton on a Saturday night. I had to run the game on "minimum mode" to get a decent frame rate. The game looks like CRAP with that setting. It look like I was playing in software mode on a game engine that came out in 1998. Hell, Half-Life looked better! I seriously need to upgrade my CPU and video card in order for me to experience this game properly and my system can run Half-Life 2 on the highest settings with a high frame rate too!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-06, 10:45 PM #50
This game kicked my comp's a** too. :(

AMD Athlon XP 3000 2.2 ghz
512 mb ram
radeon 9200 video card.
2005-08-06, 11:00 PM #51
I have about the same specs but with a 9550, is it safe to say my computer's *** is as good as kicked?
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-06, 11:25 PM #52
Originally posted by ProdigyOddigy:
I have about the same specs but with a 9550, is it safe to say my computer's *** is as good as kicked?

probably.
2005-08-07, 3:40 AM #53
Athlon 64 3000+
GeForce FX5700u 256Mb
512Mb DDR (single stick >.< no dual channel for youuuuu)

And it utterly wasted my machine. Literally. 7 FPS at default settings, though that might've been something to do with dual monitors at the time. I switched them off, dropped everything to minimum, and it was fine. I'll try it on single monitor and slowly crank up the settings. I may even increase the processor to 2.2 Ghz (runs at 2.01 at the moment)

Sufficed to say, it was the only game that's been even remotely scary since System Shock 2.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-08-07, 7:01 AM #54
Downloading this, taking ages (22KBps)...

Got an Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM, and a 128MB Radeon 9800 pro... how well should it run?
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-08-07, 7:04 AM #55
don't turn AA or soft shadows on keep textures at medium and you should be fine
2005-08-07, 8:06 AM #56
Yeah, exactly. It ran fine on my system:

P4 @ 2.85Ghz
1GB PC3200
9800 Pro 128MB @ 435/355
Audigy 2
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-08-07, 8:22 AM #57
Well, it finally finished downloading and I tried it out. It looks really nice, but I had some slowdowns in places where there was fighting.
Stuff
2005-08-07, 1:32 PM #58
Anyone else having issues when Soft Shadows is turned on? When I turn it on, I get really funky shadow effects, like shadows way far away from where they should be.

Other than that, the game runs sweet and looks a lot like Doom 3.

My specs:

AMD FX-55
2GB RAM
GF 6800GT

Max settings, 2xFSAA, 16X anisotropic filtering.
2005-08-07, 3:55 PM #59
Runs like crap on my rig, but I blame it on the RAM, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow when I get a gig of RAM. But it's very, very nice.
D E A T H
2005-08-07, 3:58 PM #60
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Anyone else having issues when Soft Shadows is turned on? When I turn it on, I get really funky shadow effects, like shadows way far away from where they should be.

Other than that, the game runs sweet and looks a lot like Doom 3.

My specs:

AMD FX-55
2GB RAM
GF 6800GT

Max settings, 2xFSAA, 16X anisotropic filtering.[/QUOTE]

i only had one shadow a little off on it's location (check the first screenshot on page 1 under the dude's hat)
2005-08-07, 6:52 PM #61
The horror bits didn't really scare or interest me that much, but the combat mechanics were *brilliant*.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-07, 6:59 PM #62
Runs fine for me on 1024x768:
AMD 2.5 ghz I think
1.5 gb RAM
Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2005-08-07, 7:53 PM #63
It's probably the RAM that helps you out. I've only got 512 and it runs like crap. We'll see tomorrow though.
D E A T H
2005-08-07, 8:18 PM #64
With a radeon 9200/9550 what do you guys expect? Your computers are otherwise fine except for your graphics cards from 2001
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-08-07, 8:51 PM #65
they're expensiver than ram, you know
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-07, 9:01 PM #66
I have a gig of ram in my rig but that didn't really make the game run any better because my CPU is a Athlon XP +2500 (1.8 ghz) and a Geforce FX 5600XT. I most likely need to upgrade the video card to something like Geforce 6800 and the CPU to something that is 2.8 ghz (Anyone know a good AMD chip with that speed? AMD's naming conventions for their products always confuse me). I reconfigured the game's minimum mode a bit to not include pixel doubling and used trilinear so it didn't look so ugly but it ran with an FPS of about 20 though. I'm kinda mad that the demo was so short. It only took only 5 minutes to beat it. 600 mbs for only that much time? So lame. At least the game looks promising though.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-07, 9:05 PM #67
No AMD chip that I know of is above 2.4 ghz stock.
D E A T H
2005-08-07, 9:07 PM #68
It was pretty fun, if not very scary. The AI was probably the thing that surprised me the most. I was able to sneak up on a group of soldiers in an office, which only had one door. So I throw a proximity mine in front, and start shooting through the windows to flush them out. Unfortunately, they ended up jumping through the now-broken window, side-stepping my trap and nearly killing me.
2005-08-07, 9:13 PM #69
The AI was awesome, when the guy threw down the bookcase and proceeded to crawl under it I was like "Where did he--JESUS CHRIST BANANAS" *fires off obscenities and bullets at the bastage*

I like this game. A lot.
D E A T H
2005-08-07, 10:22 PM #70
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The AI was awesome, when the guy threw down the bookcase and proceeded to crawl under it I was like "Where did he--JESUS CHRIST BANANAS" *fires off obscenities and bullets at the bastage*

I like this game. A lot.[/QUOTE]

I think that might be scripted, he's done it every time I've played (which is disspointing if true).
2005-08-07, 11:05 PM #71
Originally posted by tofu:
I think that might be scripted, he's done it every time I've played (which is disspointing if true).

Same here, I was hoping it was proper AI.

That heavily armoured trooper that bursts through the door was a real b*stard to kill.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-08-08, 5:16 AM #72
Originally posted by FullMetal:
Same here, I was hoping it was proper AI.

That heavily armoured trooper that bursts through the door was a real b*stard to kill.

Holy hell yes. And I dunno if it's scripted, I've killed him a couple times before he's done anything.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 6:26 AM #73
His AI was horrible... I hid behind a wire-thin pillar that barely concealed me and he just crouched on the other side a couple feet back so I could still see his arms. I was unsure whether my guns had any effect on him because of the blue sparkly effect when he got hit, so I decided to shoot him from behind the pillar with my pistol and then run like hell if he did anything... but when I shot him, he just grunted and stayed there. I proceeded to unload my entire clip on him with him just sitting there until he fell over and grunted no more. Weak...
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-08, 6:47 AM #74
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
His AI was horrible... I hid behind a wire-thin pillar that barely concealed me and he just crouched on the other side a couple feet back so I could still see his arms. I was unsure whether my guns had any effect on him because of the blue sparkly effect when he got hit, so I decided to shoot him from behind the pillar with my pistol and then run like hell if he did anything... but when I shot him, he just grunted and stayed there. I proceeded to unload my entire clip on him with him just sitting there until he fell over and grunted no more. Weak...

Well he doesn't need genius AI. And if you don't find that little niche behind the pillar, he'll shoot the crap outta you.

BTW: The 'geomod'-ish effects are just texturing--parrallax mapping. Quite impressive.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 8:27 PM #75
Yeah. They look really good from a distance.

The game freaked me out. When I first got in and saw the little girl running in the shadows, it freaked me out. Looks like this game is going to rock.

I ran it on an Athlon 1800 XP, a gig of Ram and a 9700 pro and it didn't look bad at all. Nothign was maxed out, but I didn't have any slow down at all.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-08, 8:52 PM #76
Why are weird little children featured in so many "horror" titles?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-08, 9:10 PM #77
Because adults are scared of their children?

(Children should be ph342d >.>)

I actually don't find anything scary about a little girl half my size running across the screen and dissappearing though. :\
2005-08-08, 9:19 PM #78
Because children are typically thought of as sweet and innocent, it makes much more of an impact than an "evil" adult. Really, it's just another trend in the horror genre, much like the "slasher" movies of the 80's. and 90's.
2005-08-08, 9:23 PM #79
I personally think that the little girl is pretty cool in the game. Who knows, maybe she isn't there to kill you, but show you the way/help you? I havn't played the full demo (it still crashes :\ )...so I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.
2005-08-08, 9:39 PM #80
Now what's SCARY, is in one section of doom III, you go to the end of a dead-end hallway, then the screen turns red, and you can't turn, and you hear a woman whisper "They took my babyyy..." behind you and then the echo of a cry of some unearthly horrid baby in the hallway. Then it turns normal and htere's no one there. THAT was scary. Best part of that game.

Small children aren't that scary, but that demon thing that appeared behind that door in the hallway, screamed, and smashed the glass was more freaky.
DO NOT WANT.

↑ Up to the top!