Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, about DoD:Source....
So, about DoD:Source....
2005-09-26, 12:33 PM #1
Anyone know what time it is supposed to be released today? I just logged onto steam just a few minutes ago and its still in "Coming Soon" and the news page is timing out :(
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-09-26, 12:43 PM #2
3pm PST, I believe.
2005-09-26, 1:23 PM #3
which is 4pm mountain, 5pm central, and 6pm eastern ^_^ LOL TIMEZONES LOL
Moo.
2005-09-26, 1:33 PM #4
WOLFY WANT DOD:SOURCE

WOLFY WANT DOD:SOURCE

WOLFY NOT HAVE DOD:SOURCE

WOLFY SMASH

wolfy sleepy
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-09-26, 1:34 PM #5
I can't freaking wait.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-26, 1:59 PM #6
I think Wolfy is just a bit anxious for the game as well.
2005-09-26, 2:00 PM #7
*blinks blankfuly*
Dod:Sorce
*blinks blankfuly again*

Whats that?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-09-26, 2:07 PM #8
Err never mind, I just looked it up... and there is a time here if you don't already know.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-09-26, 2:13 PM #9
It's too bad that there are only gonna be four levels with this release. At least we're getting something.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-09-26, 2:14 PM #10
Originally posted by Bobbert:
It's too bad that there are only gonna be four levels with this release. At least we're getting something.

Yeah, the only levels worth playing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-09-26, 2:16 PM #11
If you don't like dod_kalt your a communist.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-09-26, 2:29 PM #12
well I mean, CS:S only had a handful of maps when it was released, but now it's all "wtfcontent"

if valve follows their pattern, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more dod:s content in the following months
Moo.
2005-09-26, 2:56 PM #13
Four maps is a good start, and there are goig to be more released in time, so I'm not worried.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-26, 3:02 PM #14
OMG It's out!
2005-09-26, 3:04 PM #15
Woohoo! I better go get myself a couple of clean pair of pants because I think I'm gonna need them!
2005-09-26, 3:20 PM #16
Sex
Pissed Off?
2005-09-26, 3:24 PM #17
I got it. Time to go play. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2005-09-26, 3:51 PM #18
Just four maps? For $19.95? They should put more maps for the release.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-26, 4:01 PM #19
Given the fact that the original release of DoD was free (and personally, i hated it almost as CS, but i'm not a big fan of [most] HL mods), there is no way in hell i'm paying for a copy of the new DoD (especially if, as Echoman says, it has only 4 maps).
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2005-09-26, 4:07 PM #20
Ok, I just did a local test on my end to get familar with the classes and maps and I have to say they changed the classes quite a bit. Here is what they changed:

Rifleman Class: The primary weapons for each side no longer has the melee attack but instead has a iron sight zoom in. If you've played Call of Duty before, you should get the idea what that is. Also, you don't throw grenades anymore - you launch them with your rifle instead. Its like having a grenade launcher now :) If you've played Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Terrority before, you should get the idea what the grenade launcher bit is all about. They no longer come with a pistol anymore but they still have a knife/shovel handy.

Assault Class: The primary weapons are still the same except this time they have a melee attack (You'll do a punch with your left fist rather then club with the gun). You also get some smoke grenades as well. However, you don't get a knife/shovel because of the new melee attack. You do get a pistol though.

Support Class: The Bar for the allies no longer has a bipod so you can't use it like a MG. However, both primary weapons for this class have a semi-auto / full auto toggle so you can essentially snipe with the guns now. You also get a knife/shovel and grenades but you don't get a pistol.

Sniper Class: This class is pretty much unchanged from the old DoD. They still get a sniper rifle, a knife/shovel, and a pistol.

Machinegun Class: They didn't really change this one much either, except for the fact that the axis can only use the MG42. They also get a pistol and a knife/shovel

Rocket Launcher Class: Wow, they change this one quite a bit. They gave this class both a rocket launcher and a rifle! They allies get the carbine (yes, you have to play this class to use the carbine now) and the axis gets a brand new gun (its machine pistol. Its the same gun that the blastech pistol from Star Wars is based on, except without the scope). This class also gets a knife/shovel.
2005-09-26, 4:10 PM #21
Come on.. If you got a job, 20 bucks is NOTHING out of your pocket. Unless you're a paperboy.
2005-09-26, 4:35 PM #22
Originally posted by SavageX378:
and the axis gets a brand new gun (its machine pistol. Its the same gun that the blastech pistol from Star Wars is based on, except without the scope). This class also gets a knife/shovel.

Mauser pistol or British sterling SMG?
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-09-26, 4:36 PM #23
It is not a matter if I can pay that or not. It's a matter if I should pay for it. $19.95 can get a full game with multiplayer and singleplayer at the store (like FarCry). I don't think I should pay for a game released with just 4 levels. I want to spend money on a game that is complete, a game that I can play for a full gaming experience right away. I don't want to wait and wait and wait for more levels from Valve to come out with Steam (new full CS:S maps take long enough).

Would you pay for a game that the developers are still completing? How about, would you pay for a game that requires multiple, numerous patches to complete the whole gaming experience. That's what Valve is doing.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-26, 4:40 PM #24
Okay, this is a pain in the arse. There are literally no servers on which ot play. Meaning that there are a ton, but 50% are full, and hte other 50% are password protected. I had to end up playing by myself to test out the new maps and stuff. I'll come back in a day or two, when I can get online. :mad:
DO NOT WANT.
2005-09-26, 4:45 PM #25
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
Mauser pistol or British sterling SMG?

Mauser pistol. There are no british in this version :(

Originally posted by Zell:
Okay, this is a pain in the arse. There are literally no servers on which ot play. Meaning that there are a ton, but 50% are full, and hte other 50% are password protected. I had to end up playing by myself to test out the new maps and stuff. I'll come back in a day or two, when I can get online. :mad:

Yeah, most of the servers I get are all 150+ ping. That ping may be ok for games like UT2k4 but not for games like DoD.

I also noticed that the game runs a tad more sluggish compared to HL2 and CS:S. I had to set my res to 640x480 and run with medium visuals. The game is kinda ugly with those settings :( I guess its time to save up for a new video card cause I really need one badly. Oh yea, I wouldy turn on HDR if I were you guys. That feature really bogs down the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one since other people in the game were complaining about it too.
2005-09-26, 4:47 PM #26
Mmm, but it is ever so sexy with HDR. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2005-09-26, 5:01 PM #27
Sure, maybe you can get far cry for $20 by now, because it's very old. DoD is brand new. $20 is bargain bin pricing, and DoD is beyond professional quality. Sure, it's lacking a bit in content, but you DO get a bunch of addons for free as valve releases them. So think of it as buying a brand new game for $20 with free add on packs for the indefinite future. It really is quite a deal. Sure, it has no singleplayer, but most of THOSE games cost $40 to even $60 these days.
Warhead[97]
2005-09-26, 5:15 PM #28
screenshots resized from 1152x864 2xAA 8xAF everything else maxed

[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/dods/01.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/dods/02.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/dods/03.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/dods/04.jpg]
[http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/dods/05.jpg]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-09-26, 5:21 PM #29
Is this some kind of CS:S mod or what?
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-09-26, 5:24 PM #30
you're joking right? please be joking...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-09-26, 5:29 PM #31
omg that is hawt
2005-09-26, 5:41 PM #32
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
you're joking right? please be joking...

If not, I'm gonna slap him.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-26, 5:45 PM #33
Originally posted by Echoman:
It is not a matter if I can pay that or not. It's a matter if I should pay for it. $19.95 can get a full game with multiplayer and singleplayer at the store (like FarCry). I don't think I should pay for a game released with just 4 levels. I want to spend money on a game that is complete, a game that I can play for a full gaming experience right away.

Would you pay for a game that the developers are still completing? How about, would you pay for a game that requires multiple, numerous patches to complete the whole gaming experience. That's what Valve is doing.

I highly doubt Farcry's MP has anywhere near the gameplay style and value that DoD has.

As for still completing? What are they supposed to do when they've kept people waiting while they hound at them /constantly/ to rellease it.
If they had relleased this a year ago it would've been a few new levels with same crappy models and whatnot with hardly as much tweaking as they did.
better to have numerous patches that download automatically and quickly and fix issues then a company relleasing a game, and forgetting it completley and never patching things.

to be honest? I would take this, because at least valve continues to put out content and fixes bugs, adds features.

You're also forgetting about user made content. What valve is lacking in right now, players will jump in and fill quickly with quallity content.
Sometimes this user made content is poor, but I'm sure a lot of dod editing vets are going to jump back into the fray and make some really quallity stuff in the meantime.

I had to wait a year for DoD, do you see me cursing valve out like so many do? ;)
seriously, I'd like to see any of you pull this off with the kind of pressure they're under, and the system they're using. It can't be easy.

Be paitent.
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2005-09-26, 5:50 PM #34
So if you buy HL2, you get this for free, right?
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-09-26, 5:50 PM #35
Dj Yoshi and I just played for about 3 hours on the same server. What are the freaking odds? There are thousands of people playing right now, on thousands of different servers and he joins the same server that I'm in.

BEEF YOUR KNOBBEN!!!

F**K YOUR KNOBBEN!!!
2005-09-26, 5:53 PM #36
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
So if you buy HL2, you get this for free, right?

If you get the Silver Package.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-09-26, 5:55 PM #37
and this is why you buy the hl2 silver package and quit *****ing about the price
Moo.
2005-09-26, 5:59 PM #38
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Dj Yoshi and I just played for about 3 hours on the same server. What are the freaking odds? There are thousands of people playing right now, on thousands of different servers and he joins the same server that I'm in.

BEEF YOUR KNOBBEN!!!

F**K YOUR KNOBBEN!!!
[/QUOTE]

Haha, YES!

And the time I saved our team's *** by owning three guys with one nade. EXCELLENT.

Silver package for the win. Seriously, it was 5 dollars more, and you get DoD:S for it. I mean...it came out in november...how could you not have 5 extra dollars laying around.
D E A T H
2005-09-26, 6:03 PM #39
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Haha, YES!

And the time I saved our team's *** by owning three guys with one nade. EXCELLENT.

Silver package for the win. Seriously, it was 5 dollars more, and you get DoD:S for it. I mean...it came out in november...how could you not have 5 extra dollars laying around.[/QUOTE]

not to mention the HL series and CS:CZ, which together add up to another $50 where I live...
Moo.
2005-09-26, 6:10 PM #40
This game is awesome.

So far, it's frozen my computer once and made it restart another time.

Definitely worth the extra $10. Here's hoping that Valves fixes that.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!