Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Would you still play Jedi Knight?
Would you still play Jedi Knight?
2006-02-15, 6:11 PM #1
If an easy, reliable lobby system were in place? Much like the Microsoft Gaming Zone, only without the corrupt sysops and annoying kiddies. Would you still play Jedi Knight if you played with new, modern maps taking advantage of new features being added to the engine (e.g. Sige's reverse engineering and patches)? Would you still play it just because it's fun, regardless of all the new developments?

Would you play it at ALL if given the chance that you could be sure there were good games going on at any time?

The sad truth is that the JK editing community is actually more alive than that for JO/JA (take look at LucasForums if you don't believe me). We just want more people to play. We still play regularly because it's fun. So how about it, Massassi, if we had a lobby system for you right on the main page, would you play? If it were easy like that, would you play?

ZeqMacaw's JKLauncher application can do what I've described. If he got working now, he could probably have a usable version by the weekend, which would be polished in time. We can make it happen, but it's a pipe dream without support.

Now I'm not asking if you would play JK like you may play BF2 or CoD2. But would you want to join a game a few times a week? We aren't trying nor expecting JK to make some miraculous comeback. All we are aiming for is a tight-knit community of JK players and friends. Small, but solid. That's all.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-15, 6:14 PM #2
We ask this after realizing that our amazing new tools and abilities and editors are without fuel for their furnaces. They aren't going to spend time cranking out a fully functional map if no one's going to play it.

JKHub's HLP was amazingly well done with levels that are the greatest JK has ever seen, and some that I think beat newer games. Few people have played it. Without the interest in a gaming community, there's no reason to edit beyond the hobby alone. No one to impress but eachother.

We love editing JK, and we're looking for anyone interested in giving us a reason to keep at it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-15, 6:14 PM #3
Yes.

:)
2006-02-15, 6:16 PM #4
I voted yes, but honestly hope SITH2 will include a built in server browser, as that is how I prefer to play online.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-02-15, 6:17 PM #5
Yes I would. Playing JK online was the best time I had on a game ever.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-02-15, 6:19 PM #6
Forget Sith 2 for now. We are talking about the classic JK.
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2006-02-15, 6:20 PM #7
Defineatly
2006-02-15, 6:22 PM #8
Musn't forget MotS....
2006-02-15, 6:46 PM #9
I'd rather have an easier to use server browser.
2006-02-15, 6:52 PM #10
server browser or this sounds wonderful
Matt
2006-02-15, 6:54 PM #11
Yes, But stronger netcode would probably be higher on my list...
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-02-15, 6:54 PM #12
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I'd rather have an easier to use server browser.

Server browsers are more useful for modern games with hundreds or thousands of servers where you need to do a lot of filtering. They also don't offer a chat and lobby system like the Zone. There's really no point in having a server browser in the sense you are speaking of.
2006-02-15, 6:58 PM #13
[QUOTE=West Wind]Yes, But stronger netcode would probably be higher on my list...[/QUOTE]

That's also MY biggest issue too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-15, 7:01 PM #14
sure
2006-02-15, 7:06 PM #15
Dammit! I voted No before I read the post about "no corrupt sysops" and "no annoying kiddies" and all the other stuff! :(
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-15, 7:21 PM #16
Yay, for Chewbubba's rereading.

:)
2006-02-15, 7:21 PM #17
Haha, I am one of the 2 ( Chew accidentally voted ) people who said no! First of all, I would play MotS MP over JK MP; I loved the class-based DM. Next, I am not sure what all Sith2 will bring to the table to make it a better game experience; I would rather play SP with JKR's enhancements. Finally, it's JK. Yeah, maybe 6 yrs. ago I would have considered a few games a week, but the world has changed since then. A lot of change.
2006-02-15, 7:26 PM #18
Yay for JKR!

But this isn't about Sith2 or JKR... at all. Why is that effecting your comment? Furthermore, I honestly don't see what's changed that'd make playing one of the greatest game EVER a bad thing...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-15, 7:30 PM #19
I miss Barons Hed RPG like a little child misses his lost favorite puppy :(
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-02-15, 7:44 PM #20
Originally posted by Zell:
Yes I would. Playing JK online was the best time I had on a game ever.

Agreed.

Definitley the best experience I've ever had online. I spent so many years playing in those lobbies, and met a lot of great friends that I still am with today. Plus, you have to admit, a lot of us wouldn't even be on the forums today without the Zone, whether you were a fan of it or not.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-02-15, 7:49 PM #21
I voted yes, and I'd love to play more JK MP, but seeing as I have a Satellite connection, I'd still get 1,500 ping, and thus doing so would result in an unplayable and pointless game. :gbk:

P.S. Also, my life is having less and less time for games, in fact I shouldn't even be on here right now. Good Night.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-02-15, 7:51 PM #22
Originally posted by Emon:
Server browsers are more useful for modern games with hundreds or thousands of servers where you need to do a lot of filtering. They also don't offer a chat and lobby system like the Zone. There's really no point in having a server browser in the sense you are speaking of.

That is an excellent point. A lobby/browser combo would work well, much like the on Gunz: The Duel uses.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-02-15, 8:15 PM #23
I'd use it, but I'm more in to playing than chat-whoring, which is why I've always preferred applications such as Qtracker and Gamespy (before Gamespy Arcade).
2006-02-15, 9:14 PM #24
Well, if it makes you feel better, we can implement our own chat so we don't have to worry about IRC kiddies like ReT bothering us (less features to exploit, one ban does the trick, etc).

Oh, and I'm referring to MotS as well, not just JK.
2006-02-15, 10:41 PM #25
Originally posted by Axis:
Musn't forget MotS....

Mots had a better engine, but that damn carbonite gun ruined multiplayer for me.
2006-02-16, 12:27 AM #26
Yes, I would. I play JK several days a week right now, even without such a place.

As far as releasing levels goes... I just released a MP sabers arena level and it's being played loads by my clan and other people.

ORJ actively plays JK, so a lobby like that would definitely be visited by at least a certain number of ORJ members.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-02-16, 12:46 AM #27
Uh, I kinda have some ideas of my own I'd like to see executed, heck, I have the bits of code lying around I need to build a nice program up from scratch much like JKLauncher with my ideas I've rambled off over the years. Heck, I've been leaving room in JKPatcher for those future functions. =S

/me >_<!!!#!
-Hell Raiser
2006-02-16, 12:52 AM #28
Oh, and JK has been a part of my life longer than my Wife.

lol, she calls my computer my mistress.

Anyway, I would love nothing more than to deliever what the JK Community wants, so long as I have fun making new and intriguing programs. :p It's a hobby damnit, and I love it. :o :o :D

Holy crap, if 46 other people were on a server for playing anything JK, I'd r0x0r my b0x0rz myself. :eek:
-Hell Raiser
2006-02-16, 1:22 AM #29
I always prefered the Jedi Knight IP boards over the Zone. Used the Zone once, was unimpressed and went back to JediKnight.net/servers/jk or whatever the link use to be to play. Good ol` IP search was the best.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-02-16, 1:23 AM #30
Yes, assuming I can get my modem to stop being an ***. Right now, it seems to hate JK, and only JK.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-02-16, 1:35 AM #31
Only if you could bring back lag fighting. ;) I used to be an artíst at NF sabers with 800ms pings.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-16, 1:40 AM #32
I didn't even play it on the Zone (except one time with the nick FastGamer), so probably not.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-16, 1:48 AM #33
Hell yes.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-02-16, 2:43 AM #34
I voted no because I just don't play games. It's one of those thing on my endless list of stuff I would do if I had the time for it, but unfortunately I never do.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2006-02-16, 2:44 AM #35
Yes, even more.
Anarchistic, Srunched. you got a problem i got some metal storms lets settle this out side.
2006-02-16, 3:11 AM #36
Yes, I totally would. I didn't really remember how much fun JK MP was until I played some over hamachi recently. It was amazing.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-02-16, 4:00 AM #37
Absolutely.
2006-02-16, 4:37 AM #38
Probably. I sucked at it, though.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-02-16, 4:38 AM #39
Er... no? I'll stick to my battlefield 2 and the artillery spamming. Alternate saber swing spam for the suckage.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-16, 5:01 AM #40
Originally posted by Jepman:
Er... no? I'll stick to my battlefield 2 and the artillery spamming. Alternate saber swing spam for the suckage.

You could play SBX y'know, which would be popular. :p
-Hell Raiser

↑ Up to the top!