Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I had a talk with my dad last night..
So I had a talk with my dad last night..
2006-03-16, 2:37 PM #1
It started out with me saying what I can't stand. I cannot stand someone declaring someone else WRONG with no proof, or wrong on something where everyone's opinoin varies. Tell someone their math is wrong in an equasion, ok. Tell someone their RELIGION is wrong, you just lost my respect.

My teacher blatantly declared Mohammed WRONG in class the other day. This pissed me off, because just because she's a Christian and doesn't like their teachings does NOT give her permission to shoot down their religion. We have no way of proving that they're wrong and Christianity is right, or vice-versa. I keep an open mind, and realize Catholics could very easily be wrong and Mohammed WAS the last prophet.

And the Jews, God's CHOSEN PEOPLE, could be right about Jesus being a prophet. Why would God take his chosen people and then send them to hell after this guy named Jesus died?

My teacher said that Mohammed was full of it, since we all know that he could not have been the last prophet, and said that just so no one could come along after him and contradict him. Um, excuse me, who's to say he WASN'T spoken to by God and told he was the last prophet? And so what if no one witnessed these talkings with God...I only remember once that Jesus' talking directly with God was seen.

But this isn't about religion. It's about me not being able to stand someone who says "You. Are. WRONG." with no proof.

And then I told my dad about the big anti-evolution crap at my school. I talked to my dad about this stuff...he said what Rob/Bill told me, Darwin never said we were descendents of apes, just share a common ancestor. This doesn't bother me, we are VERY similar. I told him about one girl telling this BS about how he admitted it was "A ploy to draw people away from Christianity" on his death bed. I'm sorry, I missed the spot where it's normal for a brilliant man to say everything his life stood for was a lie. Especially with most of it true.

Then my dad told me about how, gee, Darwin was on his way to becoming a MINISTER. He was a DEVOUT Christian, not trying to pull people away from Christianity. I hate this crap at my school.

Evolution is real. It is still happening, and I am convinced we have evolved (we HAVE evolved) and are still evolving.

Then there's the earth creation we got onto. My teacher told us this crap about how carbon dating is vastly innaccurate, how the earth is only 8000 years old. Carbon dating CAN'T be that innaccurate, and it isn't. Earth is billions of years old, and this is obvious just by the Petrified Forest (South Dakota).

Then we get onto the Bible. When God was talking with Moses, telling him about the earth, of course God didn't tell Moses earth took a trillion years to build. We (My dad and I) think the conversation went something like this.

"Hey God, how'd the earth come about?"

"Well, one day I was bored and created this whole universe thing. Took 5 billion years, but since you can't count past 100 let's call it a day, ok?" and so on from there.

Oh, and we also think the Bible is very innaccurate in some places. His example was to show me the English translation of Les Miserables, and then told me the French version is a tenth of that size. The translation from language to language is a tough thing, and if anyone remembers that thread with the translator that ran it through about 4 languages and told you what it meant then, this demonstrates is. From Hebrew, to Greek, to Roman, to German/Dutch, French, and so forth until English. How jumbled must that have gotten?

This is a very, very watered down version of what this hour conversation went like, and if I had a recording of it I'd upload key bits of it. But I'm saying that I have a new perspective on evolution, believe in it, and I still realize that I can be wrong, my religion can be wrong, and other people can be right. Untill you say someone is wrong in something that there is no scale to base it on, or you can't back up your statement, I respect you. Once you do, my respect for you vanishes.

Zloc.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 2:41 PM #2
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
My teacher blatantly declared Mohammed WRONG in class the other day.

As i'm pretty sure I am Massassi's only Muslim, I have to say this.

DEATH TO THE INFIDEL
2006-03-16, 2:44 PM #3
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
As i'm pretty sure I am Massassi's only Muslim, I have to say this.

DEATH TO THE INFIDEL

Stinkywrix' respect level just lost 666 points.

I have no problem with you being a Muslim. Oh, and if you could, and be honest, could you tell me whether or not is says anywhere in the Qur'Ahn that killing infidels gains you extra virgins or whatever in heaven...I called my teacher on this, she said that it IS in there, that the whole leaders spreading it is a lie, it actually IS in the Qur'Ahn.

And I'm too lazy to go dig out our Qur'Ahn and look, so I'll just ask someone who's been getting that religion their whole life.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 2:48 PM #4
Hey wait.... Hasn't the bible EVOLVED from time to time.....?
2006-03-16, 2:48 PM #5
Stinkywrix' respect level just lost 666 points.

I have no problem with you being a Muslim. Oh, and if you could, and be honest, could you tell me whether or not is says anywhere in the Qur'Ahn that killing infidels gains you extra virgins or whatever in heaven...I called my teacher on this, she said that it IS in there, that the whole leaders spreading it is a lie, it actually IS in the Qur'Ahn.

And I'm too lazy to go dig out our Qur'Ahn and look, so I'll just ask someone who's been getting that religion their whole life.

...Wow, sarcasm lost.

And I will look to see if its in there, but if its in there and I'm correct, the actual translation, due to as you said, translations between different languages, is actually...Grapes. 72 Grapes, just enough to make a good wine.
2006-03-16, 2:51 PM #6
Many translations of the Bible are based off of the Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek texts. There's no "so forth until English." If such a babelfished version of the Bible really exists, I imagine it could only be as a parody.

(Also, the language spoken by the Romans was called Latin.)

Not to say, though, that nothing is lost in translation.
2006-03-16, 3:02 PM #7
Quote:
I told him about one girl telling this BS about how he admitted it was "A ploy to draw people away from Christianity" on his death bed. I'm sorry, I missed the spot where it's normal for a brilliant man to say everything his life stood for was a lie. Especially with most of it true.

Then my dad told me about how, gee, Darwin was on his way to becoming a MINISTER. He was a DEVOUT Christian, not trying to pull people away from Christianity. I hate this crap at my school.

You don't care about proof at all.

If you did, you wouldn't have automatically rejected the girl's words just because they go against what you believe, then turn around and accept your father's words with no proof.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-16, 3:06 PM #8
Oh, this thread is gonna be GOOOOOOD
Stuff
2006-03-16, 3:07 PM #9
...Wow, sarcasm lost.

And I will look to see if its in there, but if its in there and I'm correct, the actual translation, due to as you said, translations between different languages, is actually...Grapes. 72 Grapes, just enough to make a good wine.

Right where I thought it would be.

Verily, for the Muttaqun there will be a success (paradise); gardens and grapeyards; and young full-breasted (mature) maidens of equal age; and a full cup (" (An-Naba 78:31-34)

Basically, for the righteous, if you observe Islam fully, you get 72 virgins and a full cup of wine.

A two for one deal!

:p
2006-03-16, 3:08 PM #10
more like seventy... uhh three for one. *shrug*
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-03-16, 3:11 PM #11
Originally posted by kyle90:

I've got some Popsecret Homestyle Popcorn, made with real butter. I'll start popping some!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-03-16, 3:13 PM #12
From Hebrew, to Greek, to Roman, to German/Dutch, French, and so forth until English. How jumbled must that have gotten?

For clarification, most (respecatable) translations of the Bible are translated directly from scrolls found in the middle east and dating back to the biblicical period (obviously not THE scrolls themselves, but copies, in the original language, for preservation of history). The translators, who are highly educated in the languages and transliterations, then proceed to translate into English. It isn't like a game of "telephone", each translation is original, although your point about sizes is valid. There are many phrases or words in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic that we have no equivalent for, so the most common and accepted word/phrase is used. This is why there are different translations/paraphrases of the Bible available. Most are hihgly accurate to the original, however.
2006-03-16, 3:28 PM #13
Right where I thought it would be.

Verily, for the Muttaqun there will be a success (paradise); gardens and grapeyards; and young full-breasted (mature) maidens of equal age; and a full cup (" (An-Naba 78:31-34)

Basically, for the righteous, if you observe Islam fully, you get 72 virgins and a full cup of wine.

A two for one deal!

So, what about that killing infidels part, is it in there? I suppose I could look but I don't know if the translation I have is even credible. It looks a little iffy.

Oh and Zloc, ask your teacher who the last prophet was. Because there obviously isn't one now unless Pope means prophet, which, I don't think it does. Also, ask when he/she lived. Because IIRC, Muhammad WOULD have been the last prophet, if you believe he was a prophet.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-16, 3:36 PM #14
Originally posted by Spook:
So, what about that killing infidels part, is it in there? I suppose I could look but I don't know if the translation I have is even credible. It looks a little iffy.

It doesn't say anything about killing infidels.
2006-03-16, 3:38 PM #15
It doesn't say anything about killing infidels.

As I suspected. Make a lot more sense too.
2006-03-16, 3:44 PM #16
Originally posted by ':
-[ellequin']For clarification, most (respecatable) translations of the Bible are translated directly from scrolls found in the middle east and dating back to the biblicical period (obviously not THE scrolls themselves, but copies, in the original language, for preservation of history). The translators, who are highly educated in the languages and transliterations, then proceed to translate into English. It isn't like a game of "telephone", each translation is original, although your point about sizes is valid. There are many phrases or words in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic that we have no equivalent for, so the most common and accepted word/phrase is used. This is why there are different translations/paraphrases of the Bible available. Most are hihgly accurate to the original, however.

OK, ok, sorry. I wasn't aware of this, but I did plan on doing some research on some of these topics tonight.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
You don't care about proof at all.

If you did, you wouldn't have automatically rejected the girl's words just because they go against what you believe, then turn around and accept your father's words with no proof.

OK. I see where you're coming from there. But in common sense, I assumed that 1. My father, a grown man with 31 years more life experience than a 13 year old girl would know more than her and 2. In common sense, why would you admit everything your life came to be known for (that's all I know Darwin by, is his evolution/finch experiments) is a complete and utter lie? That just doesn't make sense.

That would be the equivalent of the Pope saying 30 seconds before he died "God isn't real, there is no heaven/hell, Jesus did not die for our sins." It just goes against what they STOOD for.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 3:53 PM #17
OK, I'm just wikipedia'd Darwin. OK, he did go agnostic. He never denied God was real, and on his deathbed he did convert back to Christianity. But reading further on in the wiki, this has been blown up by certain Christian groups. He did convert back, but this doesn't mean that he said it all was wrong.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 4:41 PM #18
There are plenty of churches that swear by the King James version of the bible which I've always been led to believe was translated from the Latin copies of the bible which in turn had been translated from Greek, Aramaic etc. I'm sure there are plenty of well researched and carefully translated texts these days but the King James version is still in use in many places and was the only respected English language bible for a long time.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and don't worry, I won't lose respect for you :p
2006-03-16, 5:01 PM #19
Quote:
Zloc_Vergo said:

And the Jews, God's CHOSEN PEOPLE, could be right about Jesus being a prophet. Why would God take his chosen people and then send them to hell after this guy named Jesus died?

Why, you ask?
Quote:
Unruly Jewish Mob said:

His blood on our hands! Crucify! Crucify!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-03-16, 5:29 PM #20
Well, if we take your philosophy to it's conclusion we can know nothing. Therefore force it would be best not to talk at all.

EDIT: Also, there's a great deal of misinformation in your post. You also show that you have no clue about the Bible.

EDIT 2: Darwin did not convert back on his deathbed. This is a myth.
2006-03-16, 5:42 PM #21
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be posting right now. I guess I'll just follow the thread for now, since I'm sure my hardcore belief in the Bible and nothing but the Bible will seperate me from the mainstream views here...

Person A says "My one way to heaven, or it's hell."

And person B says "My one way to heaven, or it's hell."

Both people can not be right. Someone is wrong.

So to tell someone else that they are wrong, while not completely eloquent, is entirely possible. I see no reason for religion to just be relative for everyone.

Also, I would review your information on Charles Darwin. Concerning that... you -are- wrong. He was not a devout Christian, although you seemed very eager to say so by capitalizing it.

Also, petrified forests can be formed by means other than billions of years.

It's very easy to see something and say "Oh wow, someone I think is smarter than me said this is how it happened, so I will base my understanding off of what they told me." You should always seek out the truth for yourself, and not put your trust in men.

Not that I'm perfect. Anyone can correct me.
2006-03-16, 5:43 PM #22
Zloc love, this:

"Hey God, how'd the earth come about?"

"Well, one day I was bored and created this whole universe thing. Took 5 billion years, but since you can't count past 100 let's call it a day, ok?"

is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-03-16, 5:51 PM #23
I have leared from this experience...these threads sound like SF_Gold, I'm never posting anything like this again.

You can all go back to your opinions of me 2 years ago when I was an immature moron, I realize when I've made a fool of myself.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 6:16 PM #24
He completes this thread

[http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/nazi/adolf-hitler/hitler_uniform.jpg]
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-03-16, 6:23 PM #25
I have leared from this experience...these threads sound like SF_Gold, I'm never posting anything like this again.

You can all go back to your opinions of me 2 years ago when I was an immature moron, I realize when I've made a fool of myself.

This is actually a decent thread, not at all like SFs threads.
2006-03-16, 6:42 PM #26
I just found the comments I said after my first post to sound a little like SF_Gold.

And just what I said sounds like something Gold would say.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 6:43 PM #27
German/Dutch

Ouch.

WHAT is that slash doing there! Hmmmmm?

Remember:

Never, EVER compare German to Dutch, if you want to live that is. :p
Some Dutch will kill you for that. lol
It is NOT the same language, not even close.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-03-16, 6:45 PM #28
Alright, I just thought the languages are somewhat similar. That's all. An assumption, and I was wrong.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 6:45 PM #29

This is the only thing I'm commenting on.

Two perspectives (In general...I mean there are probably tons more):
1. Jew: Jesus isn't a prophet, he's not the one that God sends to his people
2. Christian: Jesus exists. he saved everyone because God sent him

[also]
if Christ = Jesus
Christian = Jesustian.
AKA
Those who believe in Jesus are the Christians.
Pretty simple.
[/also]

Now that the math's out of the way, here's my point

If Jesus is "the one" prophet, savior, etc, whatever: and the Christians are right, then anyone who doesn't believe in him SHOULD go to hell, because regardless of what you claim to be(Jew, athiest, etc), you haven't chosen to believe in Jesus's teachings. The "Jewish" people aren't God's people unless they do as he asked. They just claim to be the same Jews, and haven't chosen to believe what he tells them to through Jesus

[also]
God's chosen people =Christians
[/also]

If Jesus isn't sent from God.
(and you are a Jewish person)
Then you won't be sent to hell, because you're still waiting for that one person sent from God, or prophet, or whatever. From a non-belief in Jesus' prophecies, or what have you, you won't be sent to hell because you're still waiting ...and still a Jew...and Jesus is just another guy. (I wish I could elaborate more but I don't know alot about the current Jewish religion)

[also]
God's chosen people are still the Jews.
[/also]

I don't know if that clarifies anything, but your view/question seemed a little confused/mixing two views into one.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-03-16, 6:48 PM #30
Yes, Dutch is a far creepier language. But not as weird as Finnish.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-03-16, 6:50 PM #31
No, I understood that. What I was saying was that it's ok to believe what you believe, and believe it is right, but don't gun someone else's beliefs down just becasue you don't agree. THAT is what I can't stand, telling someone else they are wrong when you have no idea that YOU are even right.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-16, 6:54 PM #32
Schming, stop talking.

Go write a song or something :p

Glad to see we do have a Muslim in this forum.

errr, oh yeh, I'm not commenting or giving my opinion on anything in here, least not right now.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-16, 7:37 PM #33
Originally posted by kyle90:

Yeah, I was just skimming it to find which two people were going to be fighting. If Dj Yoshi even posts, he automatically gets involved. Sometimes Jon'C, too.
2006-03-16, 8:14 PM #34
You all have wrong beliefs. And are stupid for having each and every one of them.
2006-03-16, 8:54 PM #35
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Yeah, I was just skimming it to find which two people were going to be fighting. If Dj Yoshi even posts, he automatically gets involved. Sometimes Jon'C, too.

Wait, is Yoshi back? *checks proscription list*

Well **** me sideways, he is back. Same day as SF_Gold too! Hoo-boy, this has the potential to be epic.

I hereby submit a formal request to all moderators and admins that this thread never be closed no matter what gets posted in it. Maybe stickied too.

We could be in for quite a ride, people.
Stuff
2006-03-16, 9:01 PM #36
What's funny is that a Jew isn't anywhere near as likely to tell a Christian that he's wrong for his beliefs. Sure, we'll make fun of his nievity behind his back, but we're not as often so quick to point out our thoughts to his face.

It doesn't add any value, I know. But I always find it amazing how it's either an extremist group of Muslims (the key phrase there is extremist, as I have MANY Muslim friends who AREN'T commiting to Jihad with America and her infidels), or a devout Christian who publically defames everybody else.

Buddhists, B'haists, Judaists, hell even Satanists... Never as standoffish as a white, devout Christian.

I know the Bible tells you not to be worldly, but some people need to stop interpreting that as not understanding the world and its cultures. Your teacher is a great example for Darwin's cause. Hopefully natural selection will weed her and those like her out of existence for the betterment of mankind.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-16, 9:04 PM #37
Originally posted by Yecti:
It doesn't add any value, I know. But I always find it amazing how it's either an extremist group of Muslims (the key phrase there is extremist, as I have MANY Muslim friends who AREN'T commiting to Jihad with America and her infidels), or a devout Christian who publically defames everybody else.

Buddhists, B'haists, Judaists, hell even Satanists... Never as standoffish as a white, devout Christian.

Satanists are usually kind of vocal.

And I definitely would not say devout Christian. Extremist or Fundamental Christian. Real devout Christians are not *******s.
2006-03-16, 9:14 PM #38
Originally posted by Spook:
And I definitely would not say devout Christian. Extremist or Fundamental Christian. Real devout Christians are not *******s.
Then I've never met a "real" devout Christian. Listen, I've attended church services for many of the bigger denominations (Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Catholic, etc.) and all of them have been *******s in one way or another.
2006-03-16, 9:21 PM #39
You need to come to my church.

United Church of Canada represent.
Stuff
2006-03-16, 9:22 PM #40
Originally posted by Primate:
Then I've never met a "real" devout Christian. Listen, I've attended church services for many of the bigger denominations (Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Catholic, etc.) and all of them have been *******s in one way or another.

Sadly, it's not terribly common.

My religion is the best one.

↑ Up to the top!