Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → V for Vendetta
V for Vendetta
2006-03-17, 11:51 PM #41
I thought it was really good. Some parts were a little unclear as to what was happening, but it all made sense in the end. My biggest complaint was the fight at the end. It was too... Matrix + Kill Bill.
2006-03-18, 6:45 AM #42
My goodness. I can't believe the 'reviews' this thing is getting. I'd say it's about the dumbest looking movie thus far this year. No thanks.

These sum my feelings up nicely:

Quote:
"It is neither persuasive filmmaking nor political commentary."
-- Duane Dudek, MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL

Quote:
" 'V' is a gay Shakespeare-soliloquy spurting blowhard with a creepy, but well-groomed, hairdo. He’s also a dancing knife-wielding karate killer."
-- Victoria Alexander, FILMSINREVIEW.COM

Flame me if you want. I don't care. But the only decent comic-based movies I've seen in ages are the X-Men films. But hey, if you guys like it... There's different strokes for different folks I guess.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-03-18, 6:57 AM #43
Wow, that's sad. Try seeing the movie...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 6:59 AM #44
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Wow, that's sad. Try seeing the movie...

.... Why else would I post that?
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-03-18, 7:09 AM #45
Well, "Dumbest looking movie" implies you'd not seen it.

And if you HAVE seen it, and got NOTHING out of it....

Did you go into the theater with a furrowed brow? Did you already expect to be displeased? Some people who watch movies piss me off because they pre-determine the fate of the movie based on hype or gripe.

I may not be right [I haven't read the visual novel] but I believe the mask is far more symbolic than the movie lets on. Yes, it looks silly and feminine if you take it for only what it is, but if you consider it's literature implications, it's sort of cool.

I don't know, I think it's sort of stupid to dislike a movie with such amazing political commentary. This is parellel to things like 1984, F451, or Brave New World. You can think parts are stupid, obviously, but the political story aspect of it is fantastic.

Lastly, the movie FELT and played out like a comic VERY well. I loved that aspect the most.

Whatever, maybe you didn't like it, but I believe there's a certain amount of ignorance involved with being so dismissive of a movie.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 7:10 AM #46
Man, what a fantastic movie. V's dialogue is just pure poetry on screen (ironic, since some stuff he says probably is poetry).

The 1812 Overture will soon be taking #1 on my iTunes Top 25 Most Played :). What a wonderful use of music.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-03-18, 7:15 AM #47
Originally posted by Tazz:
These sum my feelings up nicely:

Wow, 2 bad reviews. If I based my judgement on two reviews, I probably wouldn't have seen any movie that has ever came out..... now let's see here...

Premiere Glenn Kenny
A compelling, rousing and at times strangely moving entertainment.

San Francisco Chronicle Ruthe Stein
Richly satisfying entertainment the way movies are at their best, when they prod you to think.

Portland Oregonian Shawn Levy
V for Vendetta puts its ideological intent first, and happens to provide smashing entertainment only as a vehicle for delivering its message.

Time Richard Corliss
It's a terrific movie. I love the look and the verve of the thing, the confidence of its epic design, its smart use of half a dozen noted British thesps, lending weight and wit to the supporting roles.

Rolling Stone Peter Travers
The explosive V for Vendetta is powered by ideas that are not computer-generated. It's something rare in Teflon Hollywood: a movie that sticks with you.

ReelViews James Berardinelli
V for Vendetta represents 2006's first memorable motion picture - a visually sumptuous concoction that combines political allegory, bloody action, and a few stunning cinematic moments into a solid piece of entertainment.

New York Post Lou Lumenick
An entertaining piece of pulp fiction.

USA Today Claudia Puig
Visually exhilarating, provocative and disturbing.

Charlotte Observer Lawrence Toppman
Portman doesn't catch fire until the second half, then heaves herself into emotional action; this suits her initially passive, mostly unthinking character. Weaving, who acts entirely with his voice, is V's ideal embodiment: witty, rueful, pitiless, visionary and mad.

Baltimore Sun Michael Sragow
The Wachowski Brothers once again they prove themselves our reigning masters of murk.

Slate David Edelstein
It's the perfect moment for the ridiculous but riotously enjoyable revolutionary comic-book thriller V for Vendetta-which will doubtless outrage conservatives and unnerve fuddy-duddys but liberate the rest of us with its magisterial irresponsibility.

Empire Dan Jolin
Setting out more to challenge us with its ideas than make us whoop at the action, Vendetta can be clumsy, but there are enough impressive flourishes to make up for its stumblings.

Austin Chronicle Marc Savlov
One of the most eloquent tales in ages of dysfunctional love – between a man and his ideals, between a country and its government, and, in the end, between Evey and V.

Philadelphia Inquirer Steven Rea
A lot of dark, Orwellian fun.

Miami Herald Rene Rodriguez
Even if V for Vendetta isn't nearly as incendiary as it's been made out to be by some alarmist critics, there's still something enjoyably subversive about it, beginning with the way it tramples over the conventions of the contemporary action film.

So the moral to the story is: There are plenty of wonderful reviews for the movie, more than the bad. But there are still some bad reviews, like there are with ANY MOVIE IN CREATION. Don't base your judgement on it "looks like suck, these two people agree with me". Go and see for yourself.

2006-03-18, 7:20 AM #48
He claims he DID see it, buck. I was confused, too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 7:22 AM #49
Originally posted by JediKirby:
He claims he DID see it, buck. I was confused, too.

It doesn't sound like it. If so, then my review postings are null and void. Instead of saying it sucked, he should actually say WHAT sucked. If he has actually seen it, then I could care less what he thinks. What pisses me off more than anything are people that say something sucks based on someone elses opinio (or glorify something because other people are glorifying it).

2006-03-18, 10:33 AM #50
What the hell, don't throw such a fit over someone's opinion.

I thought it was below par.
2006-03-18, 10:49 AM #51
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]My biggest complaint was the fight at the end. It was too... Matrix + Kill Bill.[/QUOTE]

Actually I wishing for one more fight scene like that in the movie midway through....
2006-03-18, 2:54 PM #52
i thought it was absolutly astounding! easily one of the best movies ive seen in the past two years. :D
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2006-03-18, 3:32 PM #53
Well, I'm off to see it.. :)
woot!
2006-03-18, 4:11 PM #54
Saw it at the opening showing solely for the reason that I was really bored and had nothing better to do that night, so a few of us went to see.

Best use of the 1812 Overture since Caddyshack.
2006-03-18, 8:44 PM #55
well Kirby is right, the movie rocked, and well I'm going to see it for a second time. tomm., cuz it rox. lol. That will mean i've seen the movie once in gainesville and once in orlando lol. o well it rox...cant wait to see it again!
2006-03-18, 8:54 PM #56
Just a suggestion, but I'd highly recommend the comic to anyone who enjoyed the movie. It really is a much better story overall.
2006-03-18, 8:59 PM #57
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
well Kirby is right, the movie rocked, and well I'm going to see it for a second time. tomm., cuz it rox. lol. That will mean i've seen the movie once in gainesville and once in orlando lol. o well it rox...cant wait to see it again!

Regal or Gator in G'ville? :p

I watched it a couple of hours ago - awesome movie..and Natalie is stunningly beautiful even with a shaved head. :)
woot!
2006-03-18, 9:40 PM #58
Quote:
Philadelphia Inquirer Steven Rea
A lot of dark, Orwellian fun.
Duh, of course he would like it, he's the actor who played "Finch".
2006-03-18, 9:47 PM #59
actually, Stephen Rea played Finch. he also lives in ireland, not philadelphia.
2006-03-18, 9:51 PM #60
Yeah. I realized that. Thanks.
2006-03-18, 9:53 PM #61
I just got back from seeing it again. The entire movie is crafted so perfectly. I really can't get over how awesome a movie this is. I didn't think Hugo would work as V when I first heard about the movie, but after I saw it the first time, it would have been rubish if it wasn't him. This movie is 100% on my top movies list.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-18, 9:55 PM #62
Mine too. I'd have to say it's the best movie I've seen since the first matrix was released. Honestly, not a good movie between then and now. Name one, and I might take it back.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 10:17 PM #63
I just got home from watching the movie and I was really pleased. I enjoyed it a lot, as did those who I saw it with.

Originally posted by JLee:
...and Natalie is stunningly beautiful even with a shaved head. :)

My friends thought I was weird, but... does anyone else think that Portman is more attractive with a shaved head?
2006-03-18, 10:20 PM #64
I SAID THE SAME THING!!!!!

I actually have a thing for bald chicks, though. My girlfriend thinks I'm odd. I am.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-18, 10:29 PM #65
Quote:
Name one, and I might take it back.

LotR:FotR
LotR:TTT
LotR:RotK
Sin City
Million Dollar Baby
Kill Bill Vol 1
Kill Bill Vol 2
King Kong
Crash
A History of Violence

...These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a billion more.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-18, 11:03 PM #66
Shaun of the Dead
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle*

* - Though I am biased, because it takes place in Jersey.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-03-18, 11:14 PM #67
I was not disappointed.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-03-18, 11:30 PM #68
LotR:FotR <-- Totaly didn't count this. You're right.
LotR:TTT <-- Ditto
LotR:RotK <-- ok, I was wrong.
Sin City <-- Not bad, but not amazing.
Million Dollar Baby <-- haha, no. Stupid movie.
Kill Bill Vol 1 <-- After Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill is bleh.
Kill Bill Vol 2 <-- See above
King Kong <-- No way. I'm ignoring you said that.
Crash <-- Haven't seen it.
A History of Violence <-- ditto
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 12:04 AM #69
I quite enjoyed how most of the songs had the 1812 theme in them evne when it wasnt the actual 1812 song :D
That song made me so happy the first second I heard it in the movie.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-19, 12:06 AM #70
Yeah, that was the best use of that usually overused and cliche piece ever. Magnificent. Suddenly it has more meaning again.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-19, 7:18 AM #71
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
Kirby, my mom is awesome, I promise. She said it's up to me, so I'm still gonna see it one of these days.

Edit: Also, she's not being overprotective at all. You come live down here for 3 months and you will see just how paranoid some parents are.

You remind me of my little cousin, after years of 'Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom I wanna see this moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooviiiiieeeeee! Moooooooooom !" he can now see almost any movie, and buy any game. It's sad, but funny.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-19, 8:51 AM #72
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]LotR:FotR
LotR:TTT
LotR:RotK
Sin City
Million Dollar Baby
Kill Bill Vol 1
Kill Bill Vol 2
King Kong
Crash
A History of Violence
[/QUOTE]
I'd agree with all of those except King Kong (because I have not seen it) and A History of Violence (awful film.)
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-03-19, 9:11 AM #73
I thought it was one of the best films I have ever seen.
2006-03-19, 5:24 PM #74
I thought the movie was exquisite. Every part of it.

I'm looking into acquiring the comic/graphic novel as we speak, while listening to the 1812 Overture.

(That song will never be the same. I'll never be able to listen to it again without imagining Parliament being blown up
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-03-19, 5:36 PM #75
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Shaun of the Dead[/QUOTE]

Oh god I loved that movie. Thanks for reminding me.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-19, 8:42 PM #76
Originally posted by JLee:
Regal or Gator in G'ville? :p

I watched it a couple of hours ago - awesome movie..and Natalie is stunningly beautiful even with a shaved head. :)

Regal, thats the one I norm. go to when I go up there. plus its close to the coldstone so yeah lol good dobule whammy there lol
2006-03-19, 9:26 PM #77
personally my favorate part was the extended alliteration in the beginning of the movie. pity someone was talking and i couldnt hear about half of it.

now wheres the fast forward button...i want the DVD.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-03-19, 9:50 PM #78
I didn't like it in general.
I mean, it was OK, but it could have been better.

What I liked:

The first scene with V (Vicarious Vivacious Vigilantes Valiantly blah blah blah). Awesome line, whatever it was. I can't remember it.

The fact that V was setting up the whole plan from the beginning. I loved the part where he broadcasted his plan from the TV station.

The fight scene at the end was cool.

I can't remember anything else.

What I didn't like

The Torture scene: It was almost pointless, Natalie portman needed to be tortured to make her stronger, boo hoo. If I'd had that happen to me I'd kick the guy's arse.

The homosexual woman. I didn't need to see a female version of brokeback mountain glamorized with sunsets and slow kisses.
I mean, I get what they were trying to do, show that oppressed people were caring for other oppressed people or some such, but come on... :P

Natalie portman standing on top of the roof with the lightning storm saying "Rain is from God" Or whatever it was.
It wasn't a necessary scene, and it didn't bring anything new or prominent...
(IN MY OPINION)
Unless I missed something?

The end.
First V gets shot, and I kept thinking back to that scene of him screaming from the lab explosion, and hoping he's some super-human bulletproof (Like wolverine from x-men).
I was HOPING he was, because I thought it would be an awesome plot twist.
But nooo... he had to die.

And the end didn't have the "kick" I was hoping it would have. I wanted the movie to lead up to something, but it was just a "Woo hoo we liberated england with lots of masks" thing.
meh

This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-03-19, 10:30 PM #79
I'll wait for the library to get it. Which will be months from now. It looks pretty, but I've been downright unimpressed with the last few things the Wachowski's have put out. Makes me not want to spend 6 bucks to see it, especially considering my rather tight budget right now.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-03-19, 10:36 PM #80
Veger sounds like Maddox, but Veger is capable of being wrong. :p

I saw previews for it and thought V was an ugly character, and I was under the impression that it was just going to another comic-into-movie hack-job. I couldn't be more wrong. I've never read the graphic novel, but, I must say, I loved the movie.

The whole time I watched I was reminded of Don Quixote. (especially when you see all those novels in that room Natalie woke in) The character, V, was so seemingly insane but in an extremely honorable and virtuous manor.

The presentation of everything was spot-on. I was not lost for a moment. There was so much symbolism, I felt I was listening to my English teacher rambling about The Scarlet Letter, but, in this case, I rather enjoyed the symbolic aspects of the movie. It really engaged the mind to ponder over the movie in different sense.

V for Vendetta is most definitely worthy of your viewing.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:

↑ Up to the top!