Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → And you thought /your/ computer was fast...
And you thought /your/ computer was fast...
2006-03-22, 3:10 PM #1
http://www.dell.com/html/us/products/renegade/renegade.html

:eek:
woot!
2006-03-22, 3:12 PM #2
No i thought mine sucked...
2006-03-22, 3:12 PM #3
Quad SLI?

That's sick.

Overpriced though. I bet you can build the same system for thousands less.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-03-22, 3:14 PM #4
Wait...

4.26 ****ING GIGAHERTZ!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
HOLY ****!
2006-03-22, 3:14 PM #5
omg it came from hell!

Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Wait...

4.6 ****ING GIGAHERTZ!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
HOLY ****!

Overclocked, and I'm fairly certain you wouldn't be saying that in a few years from now.

Wait...
2006-03-22, 3:15 PM #6
its just sick, also probably sounds as if a 747 is passing overhead...constantly.

[edit] and its 4.26GHz not 4.6Ghz

and in all honesty who cares, its an intel processor in a gaming machine, yeah, it'll be quick, but it'd be quicker with an overclocked AMD FX. [/edit]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-22, 3:19 PM #7
I wish I were rich ; ;
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-03-22, 3:19 PM #8
First time I ever head of a physics accelerator too. Anyone know if their out on the market to buy solo?

Intel in a gaming PC? Ewwwwww.

-G Man
2006-03-22, 3:25 PM #9
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
First time I ever head of a physics accelerator too. Anyone know if their out on the market to buy solo?

Intel in a gaming PC? Ewwwwww.

I'd bet some good money it's a helluva lot faster than whatever AMD chip you're running.. :p
woot!
2006-03-22, 3:27 PM #10
Quad SLI?

That's sick.

Overpriced though. I bet you can build the same system for thousands less.

No, you can't build it at all. These are proprietary-only machines right now. Even if you DID build it, it'd probably be 6-8 thousand, only a couple grand less, which at that point isn't much.

Yeah, I saw those. Alienware has some computers with it too. It's pretty insane, but nobody knows how they stack up yet.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 3:27 PM #11
that computer is just crazy....here's some more specs that stand out...

650 Watt power supply with two external 150 watt power bricks

As for the AGEIA PhysX processor thats been talked about for about the past 2 years, should be coming to the commerical market in the next couple of weeks/months. There is quite a bit of support for it in upcoming games click here for a list of supported titles and/or click here for some in-game footage.

As to whether the PhysX will prove important in upcoming years is questionable, both Nvidia and ATI are pushing the fact that their GPU's can do the same calculations, developers just need to start using the tools.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-22, 3:28 PM #12
Not only that, but check out the peripherals that come with it. 30" LCD being one of them.

Sweet.
2006-03-22, 3:31 PM #13
Yep. And on the PhysX site, it says it's supporting a WARHAMMER MMO. **** YES.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 4:00 PM #14
Wait i DON'T want it. Did some more research. It's NOT 64-bit, it's 32-bit!!! Definitley not a gaming PC.

-G Man
2006-03-22, 4:00 PM #15
So should I go rob a bank now or something? I kind of want this thing. My computer has a whopping 1.9 Ghz. :(
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-22, 4:03 PM #16
If I had one of those... I would smile.
2006-03-22, 4:04 PM #17
MOMMY I WANT A NEW COMPUTER.
Stuff
2006-03-22, 4:05 PM #18
Not for long, cause I would KILL YOU.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-22, 4:08 PM #19
Wait i DON'T want it. Did some more research. It's NOT 64-bit, it's 32-bit!!! Definitley not a gaming PC.

...no games are 64-bit. The only reason AMD64s outperform AMD AthlonXPs is because of a new memory controller. It's most DEFINITELY a gaming PC. And hell, you're the one saying it's not--you used to call your Celeron PIECE a gaming PC.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 4:52 PM #20
If you're gonna spend THAT much on a computer, just get an Alienware.

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages...

I priced out a similar system and it came out to about $9,000, but it's hard to match everything up. Not to mention it has a dual-core FX processor plus watercooling for all of it. You think 650 Watts is a lot? This one has an 850 Watt PC Power & Cooling.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2006-03-22, 5:05 PM #21
Actually, I'd say stick with Dell. They have a faster proc (dual FX's won't do anything for gaming), better customer service, and a better LCD screen (unless you can order a Dell LCD screen through Alienware.). The 20**FPW series was amazing,a nd the 30**FPW series looks to carry on the torch.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 5:08 PM #22
<3 quad sli
2006-03-22, 5:14 PM #23
I'm wondering how well Quad SLI actually works.

Also: http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/22/dell-buying-alienware-for-undisclosed-price/
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 5:27 PM #24
My computer is so old it's not even funny. :gbk:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-03-22, 5:34 PM #25
Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
If you're gonna spend THAT much on a computer, just get an Alienware.

But.. Dell just bought Alienware, champ. ;)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 5:36 PM #26
EDIT: Freelancer just beat me to it, the fiend!
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-22, 5:48 PM #27
I beat you both. Suckers.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 6:05 PM #28
No, you just edited your post you lying liar mc liar!
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-22, 6:36 PM #29
It was a ninja edit, meaning it happened within a minute of posting :p
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 6:38 PM #30
Originally posted by JLee:
I'd bet some good money it's a helluva lot faster than whatever AMD chip you're running.. :p

\

I doubt that. It would take a 5.2 GHz prescott to touch a 2.6 GHz AMD in gaming.

Also, if someone was going to spend this much on a gaming machine shouldn't he just make his own? Better components, better MoBo ect. This in a Dell is just stupid.
2006-03-22, 6:43 PM #31
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
\

I doubt that. It would take a 5.2 GHz prescott to touch a 2.6 GHz AMD in gaming.

Also, if someone was going to spend this much on a gaming machine shouldn't he just make his own? Better components, better MoBo ect. This in a Dell is just stupid.

And this is where Obi's stupid fanboyism makes me shake my head.

And no, you COULD NOT MAKE YOUR OWN QUAD SLI SETUP. NEITHER ARE AGEIA PHYSX CARDS ON THE MARKET.

Hurr.
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 6:48 PM #32
Still not as much as Yectis PC >.>
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-22, 6:49 PM #33
Whoa. :eek:

Is Dell reliable though? I remember reading on the Technology Forum that Dell has a bad reputation. Am I mistaken?
Wes Darklighter
|Theed|
2006-03-22, 6:50 PM #34
Dell is reliable. You read that from CoolMatty. Disregard it.

And yeah, that is funny...Yecti's PC cost more. :p
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 6:53 PM #35
Um, no. I'm not just making this up. There was a whole article on it. Conroe will change the AMD Intel thing, but the prescott is just lousy at games.

Also, Quad SLI will be out very very soon. The PPU will be out later, but it's irrelevant because no game that supports it will be out until after it's available for everyone.
2006-03-22, 6:54 PM #36
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
No i thought mine sucked...

agreed

My computer cant even run halo.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-22, 7:07 PM #37
Um, no. I'm not just making this up. There was a whole article on it. Conroe will change the AMD Intel thing, but the prescott is just lousy at games.

Also, Quad SLI will be out very very soon. The PPU will be out later, but it's irrelevant because no game that supports it will be out until after it's available for everyone.

1) I've seen benchmarks--the Prescott does fine. You are just making this up, or the article you got it from is wrong on oh so many levels.

2) There are already games that support the PhysX card out.

3) http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_pentium_4_660_3.73ee/page8.asp
D E A T H
2006-03-22, 7:31 PM #38
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]...no games are 64-bit. The only reason AMD64s outperform AMD AthlonXPs is because of a new memory controller. It's most DEFINITELY a gaming PC. And hell, you're the one saying it's not--you used to call your Celeron PIECE a gaming PC.[/QUOTE]

Actaully, your wrong. Half-Life 2 is now starting to utilize 64-bit processing, and Activision has released a pached for Call of Duty 2 that caterers to 64-bit processors.

Yeah, and wait till Windows Vista comes out and you need to upgrade. Too bad Vista runs in a 64-bit environment and needs a 64-bit processor.

Oh, and I don't have my Celeron D anymore, I got an AMD 64 3700+ :p

-G Man
2006-03-22, 7:33 PM #39
\

Better components than quad-SLI 7900s? Better components than a 30" Dell widescreen LCD? Better components than Western Digital Raptors? nForce SLI chipset motherboard? This isn't your grandma's Dell..

Ok, wait till Windows Vista comes out and you need to upgrade. Too bad Vista runs in a 64-bit environment and needs a 64-bit processor.

Oh, and I don't have my Celeron D anymore, I got an AMD 64 3700+ :p

I have this nagging feeling that this XPS rig will mop the floor with yours..Vista was just delayed anyway.

Meh. :p
woot!
2006-03-22, 7:36 PM #40
Originally posted by JLee:

I have this nagging feeling that this XPS rig will mop the floor with yours..Vista was just delayed anyway.

Meh. :p

I'm not to impressed with the Intel dual-core processor. The only thing that I'd really want on my rig is Quad 7900GTs SLI, and that new physics card, all which can be added in. I've heard a lot of negative reviews on that processor, good for apps, but just doesn't cut it when it comes to gaming.

I think there are better ways to spend $9,000, like maybe donating to the "New Firebird for Spiral Foundation", and very needy cause.

-G Man

↑ Up to the top!