Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → And you thought /your/ computer was fast...
And you thought /your/ computer was fast...
2006-03-23, 8:18 PM #81
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
KnightRider, you act like such a perfect salesman...you're PERFECT for the job. Seriously, consider it. And to quote Tommy Boy..."He could sell a ketchup popscicle to a woman in white gloves."

:D

I'm sorry if I'm just rambling on. I admit that 64-bit CPUs, at the present aren't that much more effective, I'm just opening up to future possiblities. It makes me mad when people say this technology will never become efficient, ect.

What really makes me speak out for new technology? It's a quote taken many years ago from Bill Gates. He said pretty much said something along the lines of,

"Computers will never need more than 1 MB of hard drive space."

Ever since I read that quote, I keep on reminding myself to be open to new stuff, and give it optimism. If I told you in 1982 that in the future,we will be plaing 3d realistic games, dowloading music, talking to friends with text, and browsing thousands of pages of data wit a click of the mouse, would you believe me?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-03-23, 8:27 PM #82
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
"Computers will never need more than 1 MB of hard drive space."

Ever since I read that quote, I keep on reminding myself to be open to new stuff, and give it optimism.

First of all, it's "No body could ever need more than 640 KB of RAM." (Or very close, but it was not 1 MB and it was not disk space, durr) Second, it's not about being open, it's about understanding the technology. Some of us understand it and realize how it doesn't have any benefits, while you just blindly ramble on with "omg new technology!! you just have to give it time." You seem to be under the impression that the more bits you have, the better. Do you even know what it means to say a "64-bit" processor? AND DON'T LOOK IT UP BEFORE ANSWERING. Because I'll know.

If I told you in 1982 that in the future,we will be plaing 3d realistic games, dowloading music, talking to friends with text, and browsing thousands of pages of data wit a click of the mouse, would you believe me?

Yes. Actually, no, because you said it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-23, 8:31 PM #83
Yay, another argument.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-23, 8:31 PM #84
He doesn't know what he's talking about, I told him that he doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's still talking about it. Why is he still talking about it?
2006-03-23, 8:36 PM #85
This thread DELiVERS.
Attachment: 11095/dungodingo.jpg (20,571 bytes)
2006-03-23, 8:54 PM #86
You meant to tell me you've NEVER hosted a game on your PC? I know I have, and I can tell you, 64-bit CPUs make so much more of a difference.

Of course.. but who would host a dedicated server on their main computer? That's just stupid.

o.0
2006-03-23, 8:55 PM #87
Actaully, your wrong. Half-Life 2 is now starting to utilize 64-bit processing, and Activision has released a pached for Call of Duty 2 that caterers to 64-bit processors.

Yeah, and wait till Windows Vista comes out and you need to upgrade. Too bad Vista runs in a 64-bit environment and needs a 64-bit processor.

Oh, and I don't have my Celeron D anymore, I got an AMD 64 3700+ :p

Stop posting. Seriously.

Everytime you post about hardware, you're wrong.

64 bit, isn't that close to being the future of gaming. Windows Vista, will support 32bit. Microsoft isn't so stupid, that they'd release softare that not even half of their current customer base could probably use.

You were wrong about your Celeron D, and you're wrong about this.
2006-03-23, 8:56 PM #88
Originally posted by Shintock:
This thread DELiVERS.

Onoes, prawn.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-23, 10:36 PM #89
Prawn?

[http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/muppets_from_space/_group_photos/kermit_the_frog8.jpg]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-03-24, 5:41 PM #90
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) Having never seen benchmarks from there, I can't say much about the validity there. But they're still pretty close (especially considering the FX-55 is basically an overclockable 4000+ or 4200+).

2) Yeah, the 3800+ does win--but not by much. At 5.2ghz I'm SURE the P4 could beat it.

3) Yeah...there's games on that list that are already out (City of Villains anyone?)

4) You CAN'T build this computer though. And it IS impressive. You're just being an annoying, snobbish little kid who thinks he knows better.

5) If you had read my posts Obi, I said that right now, RIGHT NOW, 64-bit poses absolutely no advantage for gamers. But to expound upon that, it probably won't anytime soon either--developers are likely to stick with 32-bit for a while. It's the most popular format, and doesn't look to be getting overthrown anytime soon, not to mention even though 64-bit apps don't work on 32-bit processors, 32-bit apps do work on 64-bit processors because of the backwards compatibility built into them.[/QUOTE]

1) A 1000$ performing about the same as 200$ CPU is hardly a win on the 1000$ CPU's part.

2) Did I say it couldn't

3) Even if it does support Ageia already, it does not yet support it past what a normal CPU could do.

4)My point is that, the only amazing things in this machine aren't made by Dell. Granted it's good hardware, but I'm not happy with Dell for paying companies to release it through them first. That being said all the products in the system that we can't buy would be stupid to buy period. Besides this machine is being sold at way more than it's worth.

5) Well I agree with you on that. Stop getting so emo. We're trying to have a discussion here. Also, Vista should change that. Hopefully it will be native 32 bit and 64 bit bit like on Mac. There's just not much market for 64bit programs now. It will change eventually though, it always has.
2006-03-25, 10:13 AM #91
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
1) A 1000$ performing about the same as 200$ CPU is hardly a win on the 1000$ CPU's part.

2) Did I say it couldn't

3) Even if it does support Ageia already, it does not yet support it past what a normal CPU could do.

4)My point is that, the only amazing things in this machine aren't made by Dell. Granted it's good hardware, but I'm not happy with Dell for paying companies to release it through them first. That being said all the products in the system that we can't buy would be stupid to buy period. Besides this machine is being sold at way more than it's worth.

5) Well I agree with you on that. Stop getting so emo. We're trying to have a discussion here. Also, Vista should change that. Hopefully it will be native 32 bit and 64 bit bit like on Mac. There's just not much market for 64bit programs now. It will change eventually though, it always has.

1) Price here is irrelevant--we're talking about a prefab PC, not one you're building yourself.

2) You made it out like the P4 was useless...because you're some kind of elitist little ******* who thinks he knows everything.

3) Uh...prove it?

4) So you're pissed at Dell for good business practices? Oh man, guess they better change the way they operate. But it's not "way more" than it's worth. Dual 7900GTX's? 1 grand. 3007FPW? probably in the area of 3 grand. You've got half the system paid for just with that. You still have a 1500 dollar factory overclocked CPU, 400 dollars worth of RAM, another couple hundred for the physical storage, a couple hundred for the motherboard, 100 for the two optical drives, and probably a good 2 grand for that paint job. At my estimates, that's almost 8000. Granted, I could be off on some of these prices, but not by much. A thousand more than its worth may sound like a lot--but at that point you're also paying for a helluva warranty, and Dell's rather stable tech support.

5) Emo? What? Then why did you make that comment about no game being built from the ground up with 64-bit in mind? I never said there will NEVER be a place for 64-bit (though it'll be a long while before we see anything significant from it).
D E A T H
2006-03-25, 11:19 AM #92
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) Price here is irrelevant--we're talking about a prefab PC, not one you're building yourself.

2) You made it out like the P4 was useless...because you're some kind of elitist little ******* who thinks he knows everything.

3) Uh...prove it?

4) So you're pissed at Dell for good business practices? Oh man, guess they better change the way they operate. But it's not "way more" than it's worth. Dual 7900GTX's? 1 grand. 3007FPW? probably in the area of 3 grand. You've got half the system paid for just with that. You still have a 1500 dollar factory overclocked CPU, 400 dollars worth of RAM, another couple hundred for the physical storage, a couple hundred for the motherboard, 100 for the two optical drives, and probably a good 2 grand for that paint job. At my estimates, that's almost 8000. Granted, I could be off on some of these prices, but not by much. A thousand more than its worth may sound like a lot--but at that point you're also paying for a helluva warranty, and Dell's rather stable tech support.

5) Emo? What? Then why did you make that comment about no game being built from the ground up with 64-bit in mind? I never said there will NEVER be a place for 64-bit (though it'll be a long while before we see anything significant from it).[/QUOTE]

1) What? How? It still costs money. It's still amazing, just too much.

2) No I didn't. It's just way slower than equivalently priced AMD CPU's. It will still work, it's just has a really bad price/performance ratio.

3) The burden of proof is on you. The best I've heard is that the game will support it sometime. No date no screens or anything like that.

4) It has four 7900GTX's. That should be around 1500-2000. The 3007 FPW is 2000$, if you're smart and wait for coupons. If you were building your own you could OC a 200$ AMD CPU to way faster than the Intel CPU. That RAM might cost 200$ if it was really good. Dell does not use good RAM. You could get a way better mobo that the crap dell give you for 100. I'll give a liberal price a 400$ for optical drives and storage. The case + paint job might cost 1200, though I've seen nicer paint jobs for that money. Add 300$ for music expenses and windows, and I 6400$. And that's with a nicer CPU. Course if you were going the Intel rout that CPU would only cost ~1000, not 1500.

5) Well I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. :rolleyes:

What is your issue? You're so obsessed with being right about every thing that your just a jerk to people who try to discuss things with you. Remind me never to argue with you again.
2006-03-25, 11:40 AM #93
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
1) What? How? It still costs money. It's still amazing, just too much.

2) No I didn't. It's just way slower than equivalently priced AMD CPU's. It will still work, it's just has a really bad price/performance ratio.

3) The burden of proof is on you. The best I've heard is that the game will support it sometime. No date no screens or anything like that.

4) It has four 7900GTX's. That should be around 1500-2000. The 3007 FPW is 2000$, if you're smart and wait for coupons. If you were building your own you could OC a 200$ AMD CPU to way faster than the Intel CPU. That RAM might cost 200$ if it was really good. Dell does not use good RAM. You could get a way better mobo that the crap dell give you for 100. I'll give a liberal price a 400$ for optical drives and storage. The case + paint job might cost 1200, though I've seen nicer paint jobs for that money. Add 300$ for music expenses and windows, and I 6400$. And that's with a nicer CPU. Course if you were going the Intel rout that CPU would only cost ~1000, not 1500.

5) Well I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. :rolleyes:

What is your issue? You're so obsessed with being right about every thing that your just a jerk to people who try to discuss things with you. Remind me never to argue with you again.

1) Because we're not talking about building your own machine because that's a moot point--you can't build this machine. It doesn't matter about the money, just the performance.

2) I'm not going to argue it's not slower than equivalently priced AMD CPUs, but it defintiely holds its own.

3) The burden of proof is not on me. You said no game supports it. I showed you at least one that's already out that supports it.

4) I forgot 4 7900GTX's. That's 2400 right there. 3007FPW doesn't have a price yet--but the 2407FPW is 1500 dollars. I doubt they'd let one 6" bigger and with better specs go for a mere 500 dollars more. Besides that, we're not talking about deals and coupons. If you could put an AMD CPU in this machine, you might be able to push a 3700+ past those speeds...maybe. But you can't. The CPU would likely cost 1500 as a 3.46ghz version of the same chip costs 1000 dollars. The RAM is 667MHz low-latency DDR2, about 400 dollars for 2 gigs. The storage is 2 160gig WD Raptors in RAID0 and one 400 gig drive. About 700 just for the raptors, and another 200 for the other drive. 900 right there. As we both know, Intel motherboards are expensive. 200 there is a very liberal estimate. The sound is an XF-i Fatality card, 300 bucks iirc, plus speakers, another 100 or so. So 400 total. The paint job probably wouldn't cost 2 grand--but it's from a renowned paint artist. Falcon Northwest paint jobs usually cost 500 for basic stuff, 1 grand for good stuff, and 2 grand for great. This isn't great, but it's from someone really well known.

I'm up to 8800 dollars. Not too far off the mark of their asking price. Wait, forgot the PhysX card, that's another 250. Puts you over 9 grand, just to build the same machine.

5) Yes, you should be sorry you "misinterpreted me". But I forgive you.

I don't have to be right, but I do know when I am right. And I'm only an *** to fanboys like yourself.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!