Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why do people get angery at things they don't bother to understand?
Why do people get angery at things they don't bother to understand?
2006-05-26, 9:57 PM #1
It's retarded really. People hear the first two sentences of something and then suffer some sort of an emotional reaction and make loud idiotic comments about it even though they have no clue what they are talking about. And it applies to almost every aspect of life. Its everywhere around you. People scoff at things things and don't bother to even get an understanding of what they're scoffing at.

You see it especially politics, science, and religion (don't get me started on religion. Every other day I hear some rant on why Christianity sucks, which does nothing but display horrible ignorance about what Christianity really is. Oddly enough, this ignorance is shared by a great deal of the evangelical community, so I can't say I'm surprised.)

It's like our entire society is driven by sudden basic emotions. People will whine and complain about something just because their favorite pundit mentioned something bad about it. People need to shut up, and listen for once. I don't care if they have an opinion, I don't want to hear it they spent some time developing it.
2006-05-26, 10:00 PM #2
The title screams emo.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-05-26, 10:02 PM #3
"blah blah blah nuclear blah blah blah blah"

"OH HOLKY **** HE SAID NUCLEAR IT MUST BE BAD THERES RADIATION AND BOMBS AND TERRORISTS AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE OH **** OH **** WE HAVE TO STOP WHATEVER IT IS THAT THIS IS BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER AND AN AFFRONT AGAINST NATURE AND A DANGER TO OUR SOCIETY..."

"okay so if we call it a 'magnetic resonance imager' instead would that make you happy?"

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about.
Stuff
2006-05-26, 10:05 PM #4
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
The title screams emo.

Only if by "emo" you mean embarrassed to be human, yes. Maybe other societies were better, who knows. This one is just getting crappier and crappier.
2006-05-26, 10:23 PM #5
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
The title screams emo.

I'm gettin sick of you're emo rants, hoe. I'ma slap you with my steaming pile of dong.
2006-05-26, 10:28 PM #6
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Why do people get angery at things they don't bother to understand?

Like evolution?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-05-26, 11:07 PM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
Like evolution?

You see it especially politics, science, and religion

GG.

did you even read what he said, or were you just trying to get a rise out of him?
Moo.
2006-05-26, 11:24 PM #8
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
GG.

did you even read what he said, or were you just trying to get a rise out of him?

I think Emon was trying to illustrate something known as "hypocrisy".

And it's bloody angry. Angery? What the hell is that?
2006-05-26, 11:27 PM #9
I agree, it's expecially bad in schools, where most of their kids simply take opinions from their parents, and don't actually think for themselves. The problem is there are so many sources that will give you an opinion, so people don't have to develop their own, even when said sources are clearly not to be taken seriously. For example; Ann Coulter. She says shocking things to say shocking things, some people find her entertaining, but in the end, she's just that, entertainment. But still, there are way too many people who take what she says as the word of God or something. I'm really drifting, but my point is that from a young age, kids are so bombarded with other peoples opinions, that they never get a chance to make their own, and are often not knowledgeable on the opinions they have.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-05-26, 11:31 PM #10
Originally posted by BurrBoy:
I'm really drifting, but my point is that from a young age, kids are so bombarded with other peoples opinions, that they never get a chance to make their own, and are often not knowledgeable on the opinions they have.

You can teach kids to think critically and not just accept what is said. It's not that they are bombarded with opinions IMO, but they aren't taught how to deal with them.
2006-05-26, 11:32 PM #11
You will ignore this post and any previous unpleasantness in it since I was being an arse.

:o
2006-05-26, 11:32 PM #12
Surely that can be annoying, but it is also annoying to deprecate someone's opinion by "You just don't understand it!" even if they do.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-05-26, 11:37 PM #13
This thread reminds me of the protestors outside of the theatre when they were showing Da Vinci Code.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-26, 11:50 PM #14
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]I think Emon was trying to illustrate something known as "hypocrisy".
[/QUOTE]

Or "flamebaiting".

Anyways.

The sad truth is that, when it comes to discrimination, people just don't care. They don't care wether or not they're right or wrong, and it's significantly easier to pass judgement on something than to try to fully understand it.

It also goes hand in hand with an inability to take responsibility for one's actions. It's much easier to blame something else than it is to admit that you're the one causing the problem, and it's much more convenient to blame something that other people don't really understand, because in the eye of society, you're right until someone proves you wrong (and how can you be proven wrong if no one takes the time to research it?)

Welcome to humanity.
Moo.
2006-05-26, 11:52 PM #15
Or "flamebaiting".

If you want to see it that way. It's very much hypocrisy, however.
2006-05-27, 12:04 AM #16
Originally posted by Emon:
If you want to see it that way. It's very much hypocrisy, however.

And... who cares? He brought up a perfectly good discussion topic. Why bring past disagreements into this? He even admits science as one of the most misunderstood topics. Your post did nothing to contribute to the topic, and it's only purpose was to cause conflict. That very much fits the definition of flamebaiting.
Moo.
2006-05-27, 12:15 AM #17
I like pie.
2006-05-27, 12:46 AM #18
I agree, it's expecially bad in schools, where most of their kids simply take opinions from their parents, and don't actually think for themselves. The problem is there are so many sources that will give you an opinion, so people don't have to develop their own, even when said sources are clearly not to be taken seriously. For example; Ann Coulter. She says shocking things to say shocking things, some people find her entertaining, but in the end, she's just that, entertainment. But still, there are way too many people who take what she says as the word of God or something. I'm really drifting, but my point is that from a young age, kids are so bombarded with other peoples opinions, that they never get a chance to make their own, and are often not knowledgeable on the opinions they have.

You think Ann Coulter is bad? Hear the tripe the Savage puts out. The guy would take a shotgun to anyone who even thinks of a liberal idea.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-27, 2:13 AM #19
And... who cares? He brought up a perfectly good discussion topic. Why bring past disagreements into this? He even admits science as one of the most misunderstood topics. Your post did nothing to contribute to the topic, and it's only purpose was to cause conflict. That very much fits the definition of flamebaiting.

waaaa
2006-05-27, 2:15 AM #20
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]
And it's bloody angry. Angery? What the hell is that?[/QUOTE]

I believe everyone understood what he meant.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-05-27, 3:44 AM #21
Wow, this thread sure went downhill fast.
Any bets on how long till it gets locked?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-27, 6:33 AM #22
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I believe everyone understood what he meant.

That isn't the point. It's just that he misspelled "angry", one of the simplest words in the English language, to make a serious post. Sorry, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and I draw it at words that 5-year-olds should be able to spell.

Or at least paste it in a spell checker if you are that impaired, criminy.
2006-05-27, 7:02 AM #23
Not to be picky, but bare in mind the 'e' and 'r' keys are next to each other - an easy typo to just hit them together.

/munches popcorn
2006-05-27, 7:04 AM #24
Or maybe he just accidentally hit the wrong key without noticing his mistake, you know.

[edit: What Martyn said]
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-05-27, 8:07 AM #25
I brought up the Da Vinci Code with my mother... that was a mistake.

I think people need to understand that having a solid set of beliefs is important, whether they're right or wrong. Nobody wants to be constantly re-evaluating their stand on important issues... that would be admitting they were wrong of course, but that would also mean that everything they did in support of that opinion was "stupid of them". To be constantly in the dark on what you believe in is an uncomfortable way to live... it's much easier to bask in ignorance.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-05-27, 9:07 AM #26
"Angery"

That's my new favorite word.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-05-27, 9:27 AM #27
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]That isn't the point. It's just that he misspelled "angry", one of the simplest words in the English language, to make a serious post. Sorry, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and I draw it at words that 5-year-olds should be able to spell.

Or at least paste it in a spell checker if you are that impaired, criminy.[/QUOTE]

It's an internet forum, not a doctoral thesis. One wrod was spelled incorrectly, or it could have been a typo. Chill out.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-27, 9:32 AM #28
It's retarded really. People hear the first two sentences of something and then suffer some sort of an emotional reaction and make loud idiotic comments about it even though they have no clue what they are talking about. And it applies to almost every aspect of life. Its everywhere around you. People scoff at things things and don't bother to even get an understanding of what they're scoffing at.

You see it especially politics, science, and religion (don't get me started on religion. Every other day I hear some rant on why Christianity sucks, which does nothing but display horrible ignorance about what Christianity really is. Oddly enough, this ignorance is shared by a great deal of the evangelical community, so I can't say I'm surprised.)

It's like our entire society is driven by sudden basic emotions. People will whine and complain about something just because their favorite pundit mentioned something bad about it. People need to shut up, and listen for once. I don't care if they have an opinion, I don't want to hear it they spent some time developing it.

About Religion:

Have you even read the whole Bible yet?

And you can answer the question of why people are so angry yourself. You're asking why people are angry when people are ignorant; you don't understand. You're angry towards ignorance. Don't waste our time when it's right in front of you.

Don't get me wrong, I have read most (I admit not all, I fell asleep in some parts) of the Bible, and I think Christianity is great. In fact, I would probably raise my children somehow to be Christians, so they can learn good morals and values. I just get angry when it's on the news because some Christians are protesting the war, say that we are all sinners and wrongdoers, or when someone comes up to me and says, "Have you found Jesus?" and I have to reply "Damn it, you lost him again? Why can't you just hang on to him?", and then they tell me I'm going to hell. Even then, I ignore it most of the times.

Most children actually do think for themselves, but are raised in a certain way that they reflect their parents beliefs. It's not like they're brainwashed or anything, it's just that kids don't really know what they are until they can give reasons to why they believe what they believe.

They are bombarded with others opinions, but they don't know what they want until they know more about it.

At least that's what happened to me a few years ago when I started hearing the word "politics".
2006-05-27, 10:21 AM #29
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
"Angery"

That's my new favorite word.

Remember how I was always fairly nice to you on your computer threads? What should my new attitude be? Derisive mocking, or sarcastic lambasting?

Come to think of it why the heck is angery in the spell check anyway. Ahh, well it was late and I wasn't being careful.

Quote:
About Religion:

Have you even read the whole Bible yet?

And you can answer the question of why people are so angry yourself. You're asking why people are angry when people are ignorant; you don't understand. You're angry towards ignorance. Don't waste our time when it's right in front of you.

Yes. Have you even read my whole post yet? It's not about people's anger, it about people's lazy expression of it. It seems like it's something new to our culture, but perhaps not. I suppose it's better than violence, but I wonder if it's not a step in that direction.

Quote:
I just get angry when it's on the news because some Christians are protesting the war, say that we are all sinners and wrongdoers, or when someone comes up to me and says, "Have you found Jesus?" and I have to reply "Damn it, you lost him again? Why can't you just hang on to him?"

:p I know some theonomists who will love that. They love bashing Armenians.
2006-05-27, 10:33 AM #30
That whole kids having the opinions of their parents? Yeah, I think that's called raising your kids. You are SUPPOSED to raise your kids to be productive members of society. Obviously, everyone has different views of society.

Then along comes high school and kids discover Johnny Rotten and SoaD (one is better than the other, and I'll let you, but not SAJN, decide) and start to take on the opinions of other people instead of their parents. Still not their own.

And then, they get to the week before graduation (if they graduate) and go oh ****, this isn't summer coming up, this is life! Then reality starts to hit them. Or they go to college. :) But if reality hits them (or hell, even if they go to college) they once again try to take on other people's points of view, but this time it is more based on personal experience than hot topic or their parent's faith. Then they get old and die and never form their own opinion, but they all think they did and they whine about how little kids only have the opinions of their parents, but they have their own opinion because they read Nietzsche or because they 'found ______ (insert savior figure)' "on their own".

We're all ****ing annoying and take our opinions from somewhere else. Let's get over it already.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-05-27, 10:38 AM #31
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Obi has gone from being one of the most irritating flamebaits on Massassi as of a year or two ago (in the leagues of Gold) and has since become a pretty cool, laid back denizen of The Temple. Man, that's prgoress. Maybe there's help for Gold after all. ;)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-05-27, 10:56 AM #32
Originally posted by Spook:
Good stuff

Heh, nicely put indeed.
2006-05-27, 12:27 PM #33
Yes. Have you even read my whole post yet? It's not about people's anger, it about people's lazy expression of it. It seems like it's something new to our culture, but perhaps not. I suppose it's better than violence, but I wonder if it's not a step in that direction.

Pardon me if I misread your post, but it seems to imply that you're ranting on people that rant on stuff they don't know about. :P

Is there much left to say and express? Christians will be Christians, non believers will be non believers. What has been said basically has been said everywhere you listen.

Quote:
:p I know some theonomists who will love that. They love bashing Armenians.

A neo-druid actually gave me the idea. :P
2006-05-27, 12:53 PM #34
Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Obi has gone from being one of the most irritating flamebaits on Massassi as of a year or two ago (in the leagues of Gold) and has since become a pretty cool, laid back denizen of The Temple. Man, that's prgoress. Maybe there's help for Gold after all. ;)

I have learned two things:

First, I can actually argue now. Opinions are no good if I have no clue how to present them, because you end up presenting something entirely different than you intended to. I was also really a sucker for a Red Herring.

Second, it is not necessary to state my opinion if I don't know much about the subject. It's better to shut up and learn than make myself look like an idiot.
2006-05-27, 12:56 PM #35

Yeah. Someone a few days ago blurted some asinine comment about the internet, a subject he knows little about. It was all I could do not to slap him. :mad:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-27, 1:00 PM #36
Remember how I was always fairly nice to you on your computer threads? What should my new attitude be? Derisive mocking, or sarcastic lambasting?

Come to think of it why the heck is angery in the spell check anyway. Ahh, well it was late and I wasn't being careful.

No, with all kidding aside I like that word "angery" It sounds like something that would be used in a novel or something "He was filled with angery". Nice word.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-05-27, 1:18 PM #37
WARNING: There is no continuity in the following text, its only a bunch of facts put together.

About politics: The whole group of those trying to get "Illegal" Immigrants out of the U.S. are pure IGNORANCE. People who are elitist, racist, nationalist and rational beyond humanities minimum requirements. It makes me so mad that these people who have better jobs, houses, cars and lives are complaining over nothing. I've lived in this society long enough to know there is little or no future here for the common people. The minimum wage in the U.S. per hour is like 5 dollars right? Thats the minimum wage a Mexican makes in 8 hours in his homeland. The number of job opportunities here are small or simply not worth the time. Its almost impossible for these people to enter the United States Legally. Why do they enter?I speak in general when I say they don't enter for drugs, problems, murders or any of the common lies. They go there, to find a job, that is usually excesive according to your standards, but would be considered easy here, with no inssurance, which is nothing new to them, and under wage pay, but its still alot more money than what they make here, and for them its paradise. Many die in the attempt to enter the U.S. They do lots of the jobs that an average American wouldn't, unless they were payed more.

Mexico is a corrupt, poor and proud country in which life keeps getting more and more impossible. Believe me I've begun to suffer from it, and I'm making plans to be able to get 1/2 a chance at the future. It is simply inhuman to treat these people like criminals. I don't know what is a bigger crime, entering the U.S. illegaly or deporting people in which such process comes the effect of destroying human life and families.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-05-27, 1:41 PM #38
Well... women are becoming more powerful in our society... :rolleyes:
:o
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-05-27, 2:20 PM #39
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
WARNING: There is no continuity in the following text, its only a bunch of flawed conjecture put together.

Fixed. You also add to the irony of the thread, by illustrating your lack of understanding. You know, like understanding of law and order, the reason for borders, and the economic and social impact of illegals. All of which you don't address. Also, your claims about who the opposition is made of. Sheer ignorance of the situation, with a clear and obviouis bias, yet you state it as fact.
2006-05-27, 2:23 PM #40
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
tripe

Just because your nation is struggling that doesn't mean you can just hop the fence and disregard our laws. That's like me saying that my home is not that great, I'll go crash someone else's home because it is better w/o telling homeowner. Yeah they come here to get menial jobs that pay sub min-wage because they are not U.S. citizens. And because they are not U.S. citizens they don't pay much if any taxes. They can't speak a lick of English, they're not well educated, they come here and pop four kids out. And now that those kids are U.S. citizens they get to benefit off of our government funded by U.S. citizen taxpayer dollars. Meanwhile their parents still do not pay taxes because they are not citizens. We can't afford the great influx of people south of the border.

What really pisses me off is that there are U.S. citizens who think that it is expected of us to pay for the needs of Mexican citizens. Furthermore some think that Mexico should have a rather large say in OUR border policy (I'm looking at you U.S. Senate). That's asanine.

I probably just opened up one helluva pandora's box but I could NOT resist responding to this considering I live about an hour's drive to the Mexican border.

Edit: Oh and you threw out pretty much all of your credibility when you blanket-stated that all of us who want a check on illegal immigration are nothing but racist xenophobes. Yeah real nice there hombre.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!